• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts: best to worst?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoomKey

What's your order of the best to worst KH games? Why? Mine is:

KHI
KHII
KHDDD
KHBBS
KHDAYS
KHCOM
KHCODED

Edit: I switched KHDDD into 3rd and KHBBS into 4th

Last edited:

Precursor Mar

KHI
KHII
BBS
COM
Days

I haven't played coded or DDD. KHII is my favorite but I still think KHI is an overall better game. And while I'd rather play Days over COM (or rather ReCOM) since I don't like COM's gameplay, it's still the worst KH game.

chenoehii

Awards
I kind of chose mine based more on the story than on actual gameplay.

1. Kingdom Hearts & Birth By Sleep (a tie)
2. Re:Chain of Memories & DDD (a tie)
3. Re:Coded (never actually played the game but I've watched walkthroughs and the story is nice, especially the ending with Roxas)
4. Days (liked the movie better, but there are a few scenes that got changed that I wish had stayed the same)
5. KHII (some of my favorite music came from this title though)

Rael_Oblivion

My list of 1-5 is really close; it took the number of times I've replayed each one to determine the ranks (except CoM; I've replayed it more than DDD, but I like DDD's battle mechanics better.)
1. KH I
2. KH II
3. DDD (if we got a HD console version it would replace II in the number 2 spot, probably)
4. CoM/Re:CoM
5. Re:Coded

and waaaay at the bottom:
6. Days

I've never played BBS so I can't rank it just based on cutscenes/story, because to me gameplay is an important factor in how much I enjoy the game. It would probably be in the number 5 spot though.

ok sunny

Awards
KHII
BBS
KHI
DDD
Days
CoM
Re:Coded

I wouldn't say KHII is perfect or the best game in the series, but besides KHI, I enjoyed playing this game more than any in the series and it was also the first game I played. With BBS I adored the whole game and intensity of each character's story. In KHI it was the first of the series and generally the best of all. It's not my top because I felt like the game went by a bit slow at some parts and became kind of repetitive. In DDD I was fine with Sora, but being able to completely play as Riku in an entire game was awesome and so was the appearance of YX (I don't mind the Time Traveling. It makes my brain think)

Down to the bottom tier. With Days I love Roxas and don't mind Xion, but the game wasn't made out as I thought Roxas' past was in the Organization. CoM should be higher on the list because I love the characters (Axel, Naminé, DiZ) introduced and the story within the game, but I HATED the card based system. It is seriously not my cup-o-tea. And with re:coded being last, it does not mean I hated it, I actually loved it, but I feel it didn't meet up with the other games because I felt the premise of the game was bland and unneeded.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I based the order off of which ones I'd want to replay the most, which factors in the gameplay, story, how much I enjoyed each game overall, and how strong of an impression it left on me. In other words, lots of personal bias. Each of them have at least something good going for them.

1. KH II [final mix]
2. DDD
3. KH I [final mix]
4. Days
5. COM
6. BBS
7. Re:Coded

(Holy meteor, KHI isn't first or second here! What is this blasphemy?!)

I figure they're all good, so it's more like "favorite" to "alright."

The Dark Mamba

Awards
Final Mixes included.

1. Kingdom Hearts II
2. Birth By Sleep
3. Kingdom Hearts
4. Dream Drop Distance
5. Chain of Memories
6. 358/2 Days
7. Coded

1-3 are masterpieces. 4-5 are really damn good. Days was a decent experience for what it was. I found Coded to be extremely off putting.

Anagram

Banned
1. Kingdom Hearts 1:

Not without flaw dont get me wrong but it was definitely the first and last time it felt like a fantasy adventure with disney magic. Disney was relevant to the larger plot with more original takes on disney movie plots, Sora learned actual lessons and grew as a person from most worlds, Final Fantasy added just enough to keep it from being overrun with anthropomorphic animals, original concepts was alluring and original, the plot was motherfucking simple yet magical and enjoyable.
Worlds were truly interactive with many things to find or seek in the worlds. Many things even being affected by spells giving them dual purpose.
Fucking Tech Points.

It had flaws, no game is without them, but it was definitely then and now the funnest this series ever was. Of all the games and even the remixes I've had or still have KH1 is the one I play most.

2. Recoded:

The story was lighthearted which despite all the bitching isn't a bad thing. I couldn't care less about it's relevance to plot like a proper "side" or just even small title should be. Something to tide the wait for the bigger series titles.
Gameplay was actually fun despite using the deck system. God forbid the digital versions of Sora & Riku was worlds more enjoyable than the real ones.
It's called a rehash but it's one of the few KH games that throws out most of the disney movie plots in favor or it's original one. Only keeping themes like helping Alice or stopping Jafar.
It has done the best rendition of keyblades and accessories in the series. Keyblades leveled up AND had Days schtick of each keyblade making you move different. Which not only gave you a preferred keyblade but also a way to keep using it later in the title instead of throwing it out for one with bigger stats.
The accessories gave you abilities and defense making them more than useless gamemechanics.

All around fun title and fun dialogue. Truly underrated and hated by those that dont even try it. Of course if you did try it and didn't like it anyway I understand, not everyone likes the same thing. Just dont you dare rant to me when you had the means yet didn't bother trying.

3. Birth by Sleep:

Love & hate title. I liked being Aqua. A true female main that does something besides get kidnapped or vanish into the background. For once I actually felt like a mage. Nothing stand out yet a still enjoyable personality/character.
Some worlds actually tried taking KH1's example and be more original instead of copy & pasting the movie plot. Didn't quite grasp it though.
The deck system was new then and fun at first but after three scenarios and some games later I find it greatly dull and overused. But then new and fun.
Vanitas was the funnest underused villain in a long time at that point.

Downsides. Terra. I dont care how you try to explain him with sheltered upbringing. There's only so many times you can be fooled before you go from sheltered to gullible.
I hate Ventus.
I hate...well maybe not hate but I find the concepts of Inheritance Ceremony incredibly superfluous taking some of the fun and mystery out of the keyblade. I share this opinion about the Xblade. Both good ideas on paper but implemented in a meh way. Revelations about such things in a story are natural yes but that shouldn't come at the expense of mysticism or draw of said story.

4. Chain of Memories:

The story was amazing in many aspects. You got decent exposure to the villains with their meetings between floors, Sora was still more like his KH1 interaction and even borderline antagonistic, Rikus story was fun, all the old debates on how to pronounce the names of some org members was hilarious.

Downside. The gameplay was incredibly tedious. Fun if you decide to tinker with it but very VERY tedious when going through floor after floor of heartless. The sole reason I dont replay this game.

5. Kingdom Hearts 2:

Greatly wasted potential and rushed as hell on the company aspects. To damn easy. The nobodies were a greatly misused enemy to the point that it makes you wonder what the point of it all was when they get more importance and screentime as revived humans now.
Lesser nobodies were practically nonexistent making you further wonder what the point was. It was the beginning of Disney being thrown into the rut of being a copy & paste of movie plot without any effort into more original scripts. Sora was turned into a typical, stupid "simple minded", shounen hero with the entire game suffering from the shonen bubble of flashiness.

This game took four freakin games after it to make it's own damn story make sense which is a very sad state for a story.

Positives: Final mix levitated easy difficulties a little. Some semblance of KH1's platforming was brought back with the cave. Xmas town music and outfits. Motherfucking Roxas battle.
Trons world was the sole example of a original use of Disney movie. A truly beautiful spin that was interwoven not only with Sora but also the cameo crew of FF characters.

Alll in all a very wasted potential.

6. Days:

I honestly do not know how to put my feelings for this title into words anymore. We were told a game about Roxas with some insight on the Organization as a whole. What we got was a game about Xion from Roxas point of view which somehow turned Roxas into a angst and emo Jesse McCartney.

I was actually glad to see Xion die because I knew I was about done with the damn thing. Yet I find the manga a gem. I actually care about manga Xion and the other org members. The manga is something similar to what the game should've been.

#Amano for staff writer

7. Dream Drop Distance:

To be honest I have little gripes about story. I couldn't have cared less about Sora but Rikus story in this title was gold. He truly felt developed full circle. He got insight on himself through his trip in a similar way to how Sora initially learned things from worlds he visited in KH1.
The only downplay I'd say the story had was time travel. That was truly a unnecessary idea and to me time travel is what a writer does when backed into a corner. It only drives this point further home to me when I see so many alternate ideas with concepts in the actual story on forums.
Still it's not a big enough hitch to hate the story for me.

What I truly hate about this title and why it's my least favorite is the gameplay. I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE it. The dream eaters are an annoying pokemon lawsuit I dont find fun to deal with. Flowmotion is the new overpowered gimmich in place of reaction commands. By this point in the series keyblades felt all but useless since you just spam triangle and spells. Many of which dont do more than damage.

It's just a tedious and not fun gameplay set up. I probably wouldn't have minded as much if I was allowed to keep the abilities I spent time pampering pokemon to get.

Nevros

Wow, reading the previous posts, I found that I have a very unpopular opinion:
1. KH2
2. KH1
3. 358/2 Days
4. Chain of Memories
5. Birth by Sleep
6. Dream Drop Distance
7. Re: Coded

I guess I'm grading based on how much I like the characters and the atmosphere of each game. KH1 is a near-perfectly made game, but I loved the addition of nobodies and Organization XIII to the series, so I rated higher the ones that deal more with them. I loved the chiller, darker atmosphere of KHII. Also, I would say that 358/2 Days is a gem for the DS. It pushed the hardware to it's limits, had some of the best multiplayer that allowed you to play as Organization XIII, had great customization, progressed by days which kept me hooked, really developed the Organization to give more context for CoM and KHII, and had a really well done tragic story. I guess I'm just a sucker for angsty tragedies about cloaked villains without hearts.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
1. KH2
2. KH1
3. 358/2 Days
4. Chain of Memories
5. Birth by Sleep
6. Dream Drop Distance

I guess I'm grading based on how much I like the characters and the atmosphere of each game. KH1 is a near-perfectly made game, but I loved the addition of nobodies and Organization XIII to the series, so I rated higher the ones that deal more with them. I loved the chiller, darker atmosphere of KHII. Also, I would say that 358/2 Days is a gem for the DS. It pushed the hardware to it's limits, had some of the best multiplayer that allowed you to play as Organization XIII, had great customization, progressed by days which kept me hooked, really developed the Organization to give more context for CoM and KHII, and had a really well done tragic story. I guess I'm just a sucker for angsty tragedies about cloaked villains without hearts.

Omg, someone else who likes Days and COM as much as I do!

Anagram

Banned
I loved the chiller, darker atmosphere of KHII.

I see this all the time but it baffles me. How on this earth or any other was KH2 dark? It was basically bumping around disney worlds randomly with the occasional nobody showing up.
The darkest part of this game was Roxas vanishing which was more sad than dark storytelling. (or a happy event depending on how you like Roxas overly extended tutorial)

Nevros

I see this all the time but it baffles me. How on this earth or any other was KH2 dark? It was basically bumping around disney worlds randomly with the occasional nobody showing up.
The darkest part of this game was Roxas vanishing which was more sad than dark storytelling. (or a happy event depending on how you like Roxas overly extended tutorial)

Maybe solemn is a better word than dark. I actually enjoyed playing as Roxas because I love his tragic character and the world of Twilight Town, even though it's a really long tutorial. Then on top of that sadness, you've got Axel who is at first enraged at the loss of his best friend, then sacrifices himself for Sora. You also learn about Diz's true identity. Then you kill all of Organization XIII before they can become whole again (which is sad before you know that it really resurrected them). Also, the World that Never Was has probably the coolest design of any world in Kingdom Hearts. It really was Twilight Town and The World that Never Was that made the game for me. I'll play anything if I like the atmosphere.

Larxene012

Banned
1.Kingdom Hearts - original. simple, yet elegant, story-wise wouldn't have changed a single thing. gameplay wise, naturally challenging. still has one of the more unique systems, for example: gaining back Donald and goofy in the world of chaos. temporarily turning into a heartless.

2.Birth By Sleep - Fun, great story. was true to kh worlds (which is more than what i can say about recent games)

3. Chain Of Memories - great story, decent gameplay.

4.Kingdom Hearts II - decent gameplay, bad story.

5.358/2 days - annoying gameplay, fun fanservice, not enough quality story.

6. Dream Drop Distance - bad story, gameplay was a little out there, did not welcome it.

7. Coded - decent gameplay, tried too hard to be relevant, which injured the story.

chenoehii

Awards
1. KH2
2. KH1
3. 358/2 Days
4. Chain of Memories
5. Birth by Sleep
6. Dream Drop Distance

Nevros

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Incognito

Maybe solemn is a better word than dark. I actually enjoyed playing as Roxas because I love his tragic character and the world of Twilight Town, even though it's a really long tutorial. Then on top of that sadness, you've got Axel who is at first enraged at the loss of his best friend, then sacrifices himself for Sora. You also learn about Diz's true identity. Then you kill all of Organization XIII before they can become whole again (which is sad before you know that it really resurrected them). Also, the World that Never Was has probably the coolest design of any world in Kingdom Hearts. It really was Twilight Town and The World that Never Was that made the game for me. I'll play anything if I like the atmosphere.​

You should totally post all of this in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread. :D

I too like the atmosphere of Twilight Town, but I think it's just because of Roxas and Axel's love of TT (and apparently Xion too, but I wish she would just go away...) Oddly though I felt kind of weird while playing there, and I'm not sure why, but the music kind of got on my nerves despite the fact that I think it fit well. That plus there was just a lot of weird stuff going on that made little to no sense at the time lol.

Overall though, I love the somewhat creepier nature of KH1 despite it's lighthearted side. Just that whole night at the islands, and before when Ansem was talking to Sora...that was some great stuff. And then when the gang closed the DtD on Riku and Mickey, I thought that was so sad. Plus, we didn't have Yen Sid there to tell us what was going on so it really was like a learn as you go situation.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
1. Kingdom Hearts / Dream Drop Distance
2. Chain of Memories
3. Birth By Sleep / Re:Coded
4. Kingdom Hearts II
5. 358/2 Days

or something like that.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Gameplay-wise:
1. Re:coded
2. Dream Drop Distance
3. KH2FM
4. Birth by Sleep/FM
5. KH1/FM
6. Chain of Memories/Re:
7. KH2
8. Days

Storywise:
1. DDD - BbS/FM - CoM/Re:
2. KH1/FM
3. KH2FM
4. Re:coded
5. Days
6. KH2

Overall:
1. DDD - BbS/FM
2. KH2FM
3. KH1/FM
4. Re:coded
5. CoM/Re:
6. Days
7. KH2

Mavxo

Awards
---the ones I love----
1) KHII (as flawed as it was it was the reason I fell in love with KH. It was totally the side stories of Diz/ATW, Axel, Riku, and Roxas that pulled me in. Could have cared less about Sora.)
2) KHI (even though playing it now frustrates me with how positive Sora is during the whole game. You can't deny how solid it is in terms of gameplay, story, and Disney. Easily the most balanced between square and Disney)
3) Days (Angsty Roxas is my favorite Roxas. I just ignore Xion and focus on Axel)
4) BBS (I didn't like how you had to play it three times but I loved the characters. I like to see villain backstory but I wish this took it even further)
---the ones I dislike--
5) COM ( while I enjoyed the story I hated how it felt like you were replaying KH I when you played in the floors/worlds. I wished they could have made it without the worlds. I didn't understand why.)
6) DDD (this game made things more convoluted then the story ever needed to be. I wanted to love it. After 10 years of not moving forward in time in the story this just made things go from confusing to totally screwed. I hated it. I wasn't a fan of the dream eaters. The game felt horribly empty. If it wasn't for the plot development between BBS and KH I this would be last. )
7) Recoded ( now thinking about it. I don't have too many bad things to say about it other then what I said about com and reliving kh I. I enjoyed the ending though. A lot)

unpopular opinions are plenty here

The Dark Mamba

Awards
I never realized how hit n' miss 3D was for a lot of people. I didn't think it was on the level of KH2, BBS and KH1 but I still thought it was a really good game. The thing that gets me is how people hated the gameplay. I thought it was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back