• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom hearts anime?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Honestly, I feel a series based on the games/manga would just be a retread. I'd prefer some sort of anthology. Some nice shorts that add to the series by going more into some characters. Like Lea and Isa's lives in Radiant Garden or Kairi's life during the year everyone forgot about Sora. Stuff like that.
That would just add unnecessary "But the TV show says this and it's more recent that the game so it's right" arguments.
Also, consider the viewing audience. If it were shorts giving insights to characters and events the audience is suppose to know, that show will be cancelled really quickly from low ratings because it would be hard to watch if you're not that familiar.

Making it a "retread" would still get the younger audience to watch, since parents might prefer their child to watch a cute show with mixing Disney characters rather than them playing a game.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I meant something like the Animatrix/Batman: Gotham Knight, not a show that'd air on TV, but a compilation of shorts for online and/or video release.
I don't have anything against the idea of a TV show, I just prefer something else is all.

EDIT: Also what Kaijuguy19 below says.

Last edited:

Kaijuguy19

That would just add unnecessary "But the TV show says this and it's more recent that the game so it's right" arguments.
Also, consider the viewing audience. If it were shorts giving insights to characters and events the audience is suppose to know, that show will be cancelled really quickly from low ratings because it would be hard to watch if you're not that familiar.

Making it a "retread" would still get the younger audience to watch, since parents might prefer their child to watch a cute show with mixing Disney characters rather than them playing a game.

They can always make it a stand alone series in which while it does have references and sometimes elements/characters from the KH games it can stand on it's own without having the viewer needing to play the game sin order to understand what's going on.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't think it is.

Also, I'm new here, so I don't know what's going on lol.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I should expand on my point, the reason I think 358/2 will work better as a TV Show compared to the other games is because it gives an easy way to end episode. Just whenever Roxas goes to sleep after his day of work you can just end it and start fresh with the next episode when Roxas wakes up and repeats.

That too me seems like an easy way to build a series than say using KH1 where there isn't a natural way to end an episode if the series follows the game pretty strictly. Plus 358/2 compared to the other games I feel is more based on the relationship between the characters more than the actual gameplay of beating up heartless, so taking away the game part of it won't diminish the value of the story as compared to the rest of the games IMO.

Bloodlust

I don't see what's wrong with creating a movie. Nobody said it had to be an adaptation of the game's plot. Honestly, I would like to see a completely different story that can fit into a an animated film. Given that Kingdom Hearts is already a crossover of (almost) all of the Disney films and characters we know and love, Disney could easily capitalize on the idea and create something that families and fans can enjoy, giving the series more exposure.

Personally, I don't like most anime and I'm scared they'll turn it into another fan-service, cliched cesspool I feel an anime is too exclusive, unless it is localized so that is more accessible (like on the Disney channel). But knowing Square, it might now be Japan-only for a couple years. And the lord knows that I don't like reading my anime.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I should expand on my point, the reason I think 358/2 will work better as a TV Show compared to the other games is because it gives an easy way to end episode. Just whenever Roxas goes to sleep after his day of work you can just end it and start fresh with the next episode when Roxas wakes up and repeats.
That kind of ending would only work a few times, but Television depends on the cliffhangers in order for you to return next week. They need to make sure they keep their audience so episodes would need to end on twists, fights for the protagonist lives (such as an episode would end during that Neverland heartless boss when they realise it's waaay too tough to beat).

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
That kind of ending would only work a few times, but Television depends on the cliffhangers in order for you to return next week. They need to make sure they keep their audience so episodes would need to end on twists, fights for the protagonist lives (such as an episode would end during that Neverland heartless boss when they realise it's waaay too tough to beat).

*Roxas zones out for minutes; his sea salt ice creams melts down from the clock tower* Who will Roxas' ice cream fall on? Tune in for out next episode!

xD

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
To finally say something, I think KH should stay as a game forever. It just doesn't work as I see it as an anime and it might not work for everyone else too. I admit that if a Kingdom Hearts anime does exist, I'll watch it, but I will always prefer playing a game of the series than watching it on a screen doing nothing.

Kingdom Hearts should stay as a gaming series other than a series, movie, or any other thing.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
*Roxas zones out for minutes; his sea salt ice creams melts down from the clock tower* Who will Roxas' ice cream fall on? Tune in for out next episode!

xD
Completely inaccurate to what I was saying. If you haven't, read the manga for Days. Because of it's visuals you can easily picture it as an Anime, plus you do discover that there are many points in the story there are actual exciting cliffhangers, whether it be major story twists, battles, or some kind of cryptic hint at a future plot development.

It's kind of weird to have studied television and film script writing and to come in here and see the best people could imagine would be ending episodes on dull events that would not excite the viewer to return. That is bad for an ongoing series as it doesn't make people want to come back, ratings drop, it's cancelled and fans are upset (but don't get me wrong, a series can have stuff like that and still suffer, e.g. Tron Uprising. It's just the natural television formula.)

To finally say something, I think KH should stay as a game forever. It just doesn't work as I see it as an anime and it might not work for everyone else too. I admit that if a Kingdom Hearts anime does exist, I'll watch it, but I will always prefer playing a game of the series than watching it on a screen doing nothing.

Kingdom Hearts should stay as a gaming series other than a series, movie, or any other thing.
I highly recommend you read the manga as it provides some valuable insight into events within the games, lots of humour, and it's very entertaining. It's quite easy to get in to since Yen Press has released all four of Kingdom Hearts' manga as two omnibuses (they combined the manga together), CoM is just one, KH II is at three omnibuses, and Days is 5 separate manga. They're all cheap as well, I don't think it goes over $20.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Completely inaccurate to what I was saying. If you haven't, read the manga for Days. Because of it's visuals you can easily picture it as an Anime, plus you do discover that there are many points in the story there are actual exciting cliffhangers, whether it be major story twists, battles, or some kind of cryptic hint at a future plot development.

It's kind of weird to have studied television and film script writing and to come in here and see the best people could imagine would be ending episodes on dull events that would not excite the viewer to return. That is bad for an ongoing series as it doesn't make people want to come back, ratings drop, it's cancelled and fans are upset (but don't get me wrong, a series can have stuff like that and still suffer, e.g. Tron Uprising. It's just the natural television formula.)
Oh lol my bad I was joking, didn't think you'd take it seriously. Dx In my case, I haven't read the manga, but from what I've been reading, basing the Anime on the manga (like many have suggested already) could be the proper way to structure a KH Anime. If anything, they can also consult with experts on the field, or hell, someone that has already helped make a video game work into an Anime.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I highly recommend purchasing the manga. It's not that expensive and rich in content.

ky3SO.png

Fk1jO.png

tumblr_me8kk7PJo31rwmjimo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2pi1hQrFt1r3rsoso1_1280.jpg

bch014_pg007.jpg

As you can see, Disney characters are more involved in the story (Xion adopts Pluto for a short period of time), there's lots of characterisation for Organisation members (Roxas is referring to Xion).

It's worth it and cheap too. You're in Australia right? You can order them from kinokuniya and Days are like $15 each I think.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
KH V Cast was essentially Disney making a game for the Verizon V Cast phone, without Square's involvement, because... well, I don't actually know if anyone knows why (I guess for money?). It featured some weird non-canon plot taking place in KH1, where Sora somehow gets stranded on an island, by himself, because Maleficent... likes to stir pots?

[video=youtube;SjhOvtmsHwk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjhOvtmsHwk[/video]

Oh dear God, I thought I repressed those memories many moons ago...

On this week's episode of "kingdom hearts: Three five eight days over two!", roxas, axel and xion eat ice cream! Again!

Crying. XD

Honestly, I feel a series based on the games/manga would just be a retread. I'd prefer some sort of anthology. Some nice shorts that add to the series by going more into some characters. Like Lea and Isa's lives in Radiant Garden or Kairi's life during the year everyone forgot about Sora. Stuff like that.

I'd be down with that.

I highly recommend purchasing the manga. It's not that expensive and rich in content.

ky3SO.png

Fk1jO.png

tumblr_me8kk7PJo31rwmjimo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m2pi1hQrFt1r3rsoso1_1280.jpg

bch014_pg007.jpg

As you can see, Disney characters are more involved in the story (Xion adopts Pluto for a short period of time), there's lots of characterisation for Organisation members (Roxas is referring to Xion).

It's worth it and cheap too. You're in Australia right? You can order them from kinokuniya and Days are like $15 each I think.

Ah yes, that lovely moment with Belle. XD

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
How many episodes do you guys think should be devoted to each individual disney world? One episode is impossible, but two or three should be enough to cover each disney world. Original worlds may require more though

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I've always been of the opinion that a potential KH anime would do best with one hour episodes (or 40 mins with commercials). Granted, I've never heard of an anime doing this, so it's incredibly unlikely, but I could see most Disney world fitting easily into an hour. The original worlds, however, would probably be two parters/multiple episodes.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Depends on how many episodes there are in a season. A half hour show with 22 episodes wouldn't be able to effectively do all the Disney worlds and original content. But Anime shows usually contain more episodes per season right? Disney worlds should be around 2-3 episodes in length, two worlds even sharing the same episode sometime.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

xD

Hey sometimes episodes can end with Roxas in his bed pondering about life!!!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
You know, instead of doing indivdual 26 episode seasons with months or years between the next one, they could just attempt to do a long running anime with hundreds of episodes. Such as anime like One Piece, Naruto, and Pokemon. It would probably work out better if they attempt to adapt all of the games.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You know, instead of doing indivdual 26 episode seasons with months or years between the next one, they could just attempt to do a long running anime with hundreds of episodes. Such as anime like One Piece, Naruto, and Pokemon. It would probably work out better if they attempt to adapt all of the games.
Each game should be a different season rather than it just being one long stream due to Kingdom Hearts' nature of time difference between the games. An anime already has 8 years worth of seasons right now.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Depends on how many episodes there are in a season. A half hour show with 22 episodes wouldn't be able to effectively do all the Disney worlds and original content. But Anime shows usually contain more episodes per season right? Disney worlds should be around 2-3 episodes in length, two worlds even sharing the same episode sometime.

It depends on what kind of cour the show is following. You have a 1-cour season which will have 12-14 episodes, 2-cour season which will have 22-26 episodes. There is also split-cour which has a 2-cour length but will have a season break in between each 12-14 episodes.

Popularity will increase the amount of seasons, but it is always safer to try to tie up an arc at the end of the first cour if a show isn't popular unless the studio has specifically planned for there to be a full 22-26 episodes and has the budget for it.

For a Kingdom Hearts anime based on one game, it would be ideal to have a 2-cour. They could fit it all in a 1-cour but...eh.

The shows are still broken up into seasons. Like Chaser said, each game can be a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back