• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts and autism

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Exin

Awards
If there were any Kingdom Hearts character out there that you think might be autistic, who do you think it would be?
Please feel free to leave your opinions and reasons in the comments down below, thank you.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
No, no character in the series is autistic.

Some of autism's most physical prominent characteristics, such as repetitive behavior in their body movements/ticks, unusual sensory behavior such as constantly sniffing or touching objects, and avoidance of a certain set of sounds and textures are nowhere present in any character of the series.

No character in the series follows any of autism's behavioral traits, either. The characters don't have trouble catching onto non-verbal queues in a consistent manner, difficulty initiating conversation, or the repetitive use of a phrase they got from somewhere else.

In order for autism to be present, someone would likely show more than one of these physical or behavioral traits, and they simply just do not. Just because a character might have awkward dialogue or seem strange in social situation doesn't mean they are mentally handicapped. It just means someone did a poor job of writing or it didn't translate perfectly well from Japanese to English.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I don't think anybody is coded or written as autistic or being on that spectrum, but I don't see why you couldn't read some characters that way.

Precursor Mar

I'd like to see the data on this.

graphwrite.aspx

Muke

whatever
Awards
is this a joke
"source: fanfiction.net & deviantart"
no

Seriously though, I don't really think any of the Characters are autistic? (and tbh we will never know because nobody has character except for a handful of characters or something)

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
My thesis advisors would cry tears of sorrow at the sight of this pie chart and the sources.
I don't know, this seems pretty valid to me and the blue part is indeed bigger than the red one.

What about Winnie the Pooh? I'm not sure if it's just how Disney depicts him (only read the book once when I was much younger) or how Kingdom Hearts seems to multiply strange movie characteristics but his behavior is very odd. Not even Sora has the nerve to deal with him sometimes, and that's saying something.

Luxu

Awards
No, none of them match it.

Only Xenmas matches the bizarre movements but that is because of the conflict with Terra and Xehanort

Kounelli

Awards
I always thought of Ventus as on the spectrum, he reminded me of many of the students I worked with a few years back. Just something about his joyful attitude and young child-like behavior brought me to that conclusion, not to mention how cute it is that he holds his keyblade backwards.

In order for autism to be present, someone would likely show more than one of these physical or behavioral traits, and they simply just do not.

This is not the case for everyone, some are able to blend in really well with typical peers, but what goes on in their heads might be a lot different (which is why it's a spectrum, and no two autistic individuals are the same). Not that anyone in Kingdom Hearts is coded as autistic (you don't really see that represented in children's media), but as Tinny said above, it can be read. I know people personally that like to attribute their mental disabilities with characters, and many autistic individuals do this. I do it myself with Sora at times, as I am attention deficient and can relate with his "air head" moments. Head-canons can be a powerful tool hehe. Besides, I do not feel that the original poster tried to insinuate that anyone was canonly autistic, just that some traits the characters express could stimulate autistic vibes, and if someone on the spectrum catches that, who are we to say that it's not true to them?

Awards
Can't say I've ever thought of any KH character having Autism, despite having Asperger's myself.
When I saw the thread title, I actually thought it was going to be about Autism in the KH fanbase.

----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back