• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts: An Observation in Fluctuating Level Design

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
It's funny how my favorite worlds of KH are the ones that makes sense about why there's no NPCs. Maybe that's why I loved 0.2 so much. I loved the atmosphere of that whole game. But then you have stupidly open areas in some KH worlds that looks like a colorful dessert that spreads over every direction.

"Colorful dessert" xD I'm crying

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
scrap moogles and have world specific stores you can go to with neat characters inside

Let's hope we have something like a hub world similar to Cid's shop in Kingdom Hearts or something. The moogles being in every world like Kingdom Hearts II annihilated any feeling of hub world that Radiant Garden might have had. That and, am I crazy, or do the shops for Radiant Garden not update with the worlds that you're on? Like I swear you can't buy chain gear in Radiant Garden at the shop.

Hirokey123

Awards
You know now it's been said I'm trying to imagine what Ava's scene would have looked like if it suffered from the invisible crowd syndrome that plagues the series. Just imaging Ava then professing her heart out to her dandelions and....there being no one actually there. Ava would look like she is just practicing a speech and that just seems like it be really funny to me.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
You know now it's been said I'm trying to imagine what Ava's scene would have looked like if it suffered from the invisible crowd syndrome that plagues the series. Just imaging Ava then professing her heart out to her dandelions and....there being no one actually there. Ava would look like she is just practicing a speech and that just seems like it be really funny to me.

Would have been as awkward as Zack gesturing to an non-existant audience or the Duke speaking about invisible guests enjoying themselves at the ball, lol.
Only now in Unreal 4 engine with superb graphics.

When looking at it from this angle I'm actually glad they added a bunch of Dandelions there even if they are just repeated palette-swaps of six or seven different models. (There are apparently lots of identical twin pairs in Daybreak Town too!)

Alpha Sonix

Would have been as awkward as Zack gesturing to an non-existant audience or the Duke speaking about invisible guests enjoying themselves at the ball, lol.

Actually I imagine it would have been worse than those. Link to All was playing throughout that scene and whenever that plays we're generally expecting something substantial and epic to happen. Have no audience to that and it's just like

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Precursor Mar

Say all you like about KH2's flat levels, but they ameliorated one of the bigger flaws in KH1's level design. All those pits that would take you to lower levels of the world.

Playing chicken with Heartless flying over pits and having to make your way back there again if you fell blew HARD (thanks Hollow Bastion).
Good for world depth, not so much for combat.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

When looking at it from this angle I'm actually glad they added a bunch of Dandelions there even if they are just repeated palette-swaps of six or seven different models. (There are apparently lots of identical twin pairs in Daybreak Town too!)

There is like 6 or 7 models easily that are completely copied and pasted over certain scenes! Also I could have sworn keyblade wielders randomly switched positions throughout the speech, like red tunic samurai guy would appear in the front then move to the back and then there'd be two of him in the next scene for no reason. I've already ranted about this enough, I just find this observation funny :p

Say all you like about KH2's flat levels, but they ameliorated one of the bigger flaws in KH1's level design. All those pits that would take you to lower levels of the world.

Playing chicken with Heartless flying over pits and having to make your way back there again if you fell blew HARD (thanks Hollow Bastion).

Preach.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Actually I imagine it would have been worse than those. Link to All was playing throughout that scene and whenever that plays we're generally expecting something substantial and epic to happen. Have no audience to that and it's just like

giphy.gif

Oh, it would've been worse also because of the bigger technical possibilities and implied "grander" scale, but yet again that didn't stop them from having Daybreak Town itself empty in all other scenes, not once does one see regular Keykids just walking through town with their Chirithies in the background, arriving from or departing for missions, interacting with each other in the background etc.
Whenever there is a scene with a Foreteller inside of town that isn't a battle during the movie, the town is empty (when looking at the scale of damage caused by the brawl between Aced and Invi/Ava/Gula I'm also surprised that there is apparently no collateral damage in form of at least injured normal Keykids around).

It's also somewhat of a missed opportunity in form of showing how each Foreteller handles and interacts with their own union. There's a scene during the alliance negiations where Gula points out that he doesn't want the kids of his union involved in the affairs between the Foretellers, but the movie could have done much more with the prospect.

Furthermore even, if one thinks this through it is actually somewhat stupid that Ava gathers the Dandelions at the Fountain Square right in the middle of town and makes her grand speech.
The Dandelions are supposed to be a secret organisation entirely separate from the unions who should stay out of things, yet Ava gathers them in a place which is arguably the "hub" of town and loudly speaks about things that are supposed to be classified.
Are we supposed to believe that there are really no non-Dandelion Keykids (or their Chirities) of different unions around town/in the buildings who could overhear/watch this whole event?

Agreed, on this I think it comes down exactly to what KingOfHearts pointed out earlier in this thread.
In the end it boils down what everyone of us individually values more, the exploration/depth aspect of a world and attached to that also the "platforming" or the combat aspect on how good it works as a battle arena.

There certainly exists a middle ground that takes both elements into account without diminishing the other, but I do not think that any of the KH games so far has hit exactly this fine balance, as I do agree that several of the KH 1 worlds were indeed flawed when looking primarily on the combat aspect.

There is like 6 or 7 models easily that are completely copied and pasted over certain scenes! Also I could have sworn keyblade wielders randomly switched positions throughout the speech, like red tunic samurai guy would appear in the front then move to the back and then there'd be two of him in the next scene for no reason. I've already ranted about this enough, I just find this observation funny :p
There is an answer though: They're practiticing instant teleporting! ;P

It's certainly funny but at least they tried something more this time, so that's something I can at least appreciate.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
There is an answer though: They're practiticing instant teleporting! ;P

It's certainly funny but at least they tried something more this time, so that's something I can at least appreciate.

I can appreciate meeting a keyblade wielder for once that's not mega-important to the plot, maybe some names would be nice :p I also don't like there being copy models, I'm currently labeling and identifying every keyblade wielder in the series and there being identical models and contradicting designs in between the Unchained X version and the Back Cover version is really screwing with me right now. This also makes me feel weird, since having contradicting designs and different characters in the different versions of that scene makes it feel extremely sloppy from a story standpoint. If the models had been the exact same, just 3D, for the movie, that'd be one thing, but, unless I missed something, they're just... not.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

Hollow Bastion is the only world where I had that issue, actually (other than Oogie's Manor)--really just the first area outside after the hall/library. But I wouldn’t describe it as a flaw so much as a deliberate choice on their part to make the world that way.

Precursor Mar

Hollow Bastion is the only world where I had that issue, actually (other than Oogie's Manor)--really just the first area outside after the hall/library. But I wouldn’t describe it as a flaw so much as a deliberate choice on their part to make the world that way.

It's a flaw because it clashes with how the combat was designed.

If you had a myriad of aerial movement abilities like in KH2 then it may have not been such a problem. But you only get glide, and it's not even available until the later third of the game.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
It's a flaw because it clashes with how the combat was designed.

If you had a myriad of aerial movement abilities like in KH2 then it may have not been such a problem. But you only get glide, and it's not even available until the later third of the game.

I completely agree with you on this! I had huge problems with this in Deep Jungle in the original game with the horrible command menu controls. I would constantly press attack by accident and then fall off the platform and land in the hippo lagoon again, it was absolutely frustrating :mad:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I completely agree with you on this! I had huge problems with this in Deep Jungle in the original game with the horrible command menu controls. I would constantly press attack by accident and then fall off the platform and land in the hippo lagoon again, it was absolutely frustrating :mad:

Dear heavens, please don't remind me of this. This horrible second of Sora falling down in his stupid jump-animation giving you just enough time to scream "NOOOOO!!!!!" before you land in the damn water again.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Dear heavens, please don't remind me of this. This horrible second of Sora falling down in his stupid jump-animation giving you just enough time to scream "NOOOOO!!!!!" before you land in the damn water again.

So much nostalgia there, just 10 year old me screaming as Sora falls into the hippo lagoon for the 10,000th time xD

Say what you want about Kingdom Hearts II being linear as hell, at least it also had barriers to prevent you from falling to the lower level constantly like in Kingdom Hearts!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
So much nostalgia there, just 10 year old me screaming as Sora falls into the hippo lagoon for the 10,000th time xD

Say what you want about Kingdom Hearts II being linear as hell, at least it also had barriers to prevent you from falling to the lower level constantly like in Kingdom Hearts!

I mean, I think it's okay to be able to fall down. You just shouldn't fall down because the game mechanics are bad. And say what you like, having the action command being the same thing as jump or attack is just plain stupid (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, FINAL FUCKING FANTASY XV).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back