• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kingdom Hearts 4: Connected Worlds

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I wonder who the robe figure happens to be. It'd be pretty wild twist if this ended up being a setup or trap because, the Hellfire Club needed a distraction to break out Yzma. Of course, it still seems like Sora and co. have the upper hand. Shouldn't be too hard to subdue the robe figure unless they throw the animal potions at them. (xD) Otherwise, it tickled my fancy seeing the Gargoyles making an appearance. They're a good edition to the series and certainly loyal. Good chapter as usual, KeybladeOrder.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
I won't give anything away, but I will say that the robed figures are not affiliated with the Hellfire Club, and it's not a diversion to break out Yzma. Maleficent's going to try and do that eventually, but it's too early for that. You'll understand why at the half-way point of the story. But don't dismiss the robed figures just yet. They may have more surprises up their sleeves than just the animal potions.

I'll be without internet for the next three days, so while I'm going to keep writing, I won't be able to post anything until Sunday. So be on the lookout for a mass chapter posting on Sunday night/Monday morning.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Last chapter before I'm in a wifi-free zone
Chapter 15: A Bunny Can Go Savage:
Zootopia – Cliffside Asylum:

“This is Officer Hopps,” Judy called out into her radio as she, Nick, Sora, Donald, and Goofy raced through the corridors of the abandoned hospital after the robed trio who were attempting to steal the Night Howlers and animal potions. “Strike Team Gamma and I are in pursuit of three suspects who have stolen Hellfire Club bioweapons and a cache of Night Howlers. Requesting reinforcements on the ground floor of the building.” The rabbit breathed out a sigh of relief when Chief Bogo announced that every officer on the scene was forming a perimeter around the building to prevent escape. They didn’t know the capabilities of these mysterious figures, but they weren’t taking any chances.

“Who are these guys?” Sora wondered aloud as he cast a Dark Firaga spell down the hallway past the interlopers. The fireball hit the wall and set scattered papers ablaze, forming a wall of fire that boxed the intruders in. With nowhere else to go, the three robed figures turned around to face their pursuers. Sora glared at them as he angrily demanded to know who they were and what they wanted with Yzma’s potions. To the surprise of absolutely no one, the thieves’ response was confusing and enigmatic.

“We are Legion, infidel,” the woman (her voice gave her gender away) in the lead spat. “And these are the keys to your salvation. When the Cycle is broken, even the lost shall be saved.” Knowing that they weren’t going to get any straight answers out of her and her compatriots, Sora called on the dark powers he’d acquired when Vanitas had reawakened at the end of the Xehanort War and warped behind the group of intruders and swung his Keyblade, intending to use the blast of darkness that he usually used for this technique to daze these “Legion” members long enough for Nick and Judy to handcuff them. But to Sora’s surprise, the warrior to his far left caught the blade with his bare hands and extinguished the wisps of Darkness emanating from the tip of the blade.

“Such techniques are useless against a Legionnaire, heathen,” the man snapped. “Your kind shall soon be cast into the depths of the dark realm where you belong.” With that, the man fired a “Holy” spell that forced Sora to jump back in order to dodge. This gave the self-proclaimed Legionnaires the opening to flee through what could only be described as a corridor of Light while Donald and Goofy were too stunned to do anything. Nick and Judy attempted to tackle the retreating warriors, only to be flung back by Reflega spells. As the rest of the Zootopian Police Force raced into the area, Sora could only stand there and think of the ramifications of what the man had said. They were dealing with a new player in Coalition space.
Twilight Town – Market Street:

“Do you have any proof that this is accurate?” Vanitas asked the man sitting across from him in the crowded Twilight Town café. “I don’t entirely trust you and I can’t give my boss this kind of information based on your word alone. For all I know Maleficent sent you to feed us false information and throw us off her trail. How do I know you’re being honest about your betrayal of her?”

“Unfortunately for both of us, you don’t,” Loki replied. “But I can offer you a more solid case for what she’s after. See if any of the libraries in the known worlds have any information on “The Gauntlet of the First Master.” That should point you in the right direction.” As far as Maleficent knew, he was back at the Kiln discussing the loss of their San Fransokyo and Zootopia bases. While that was technically true, as the Norse god of magic, he was more than capable of being in two places at once. Which was why he had sought out the high ranking agents of the Dayreak Coalition’s intelligence division to discreetly leak details of the Hellfire Club’s schemes. He needed to start letting information slip out in order to lay the groundwork for the masterstroke of his plan.

Vanitas groaned in frustration. Monsters Inc. monitored the world from which they drew their energy and had heard of Loki’s exploits, along with Thor’s reconciliation with his brother. But while he appreciated the prospect of extra help, he had no way of verifying whether the Asgardian was really on their side. For the time being, he needed to keep the man at arm’s length.

“I can send in a few agents to verify the locations of those bases,” he finally said with a heavy sigh. “I’ll check on the Gauntlet information myself. But if you’re not being honest with me, I will make you wish you were dead. Do I make myself clear?” Loki nodded in understanding before his astral projection melted away. Vanitas groaned now that he was finally alone. It was challenging being at the near-top of the food chain in C.I.N., and because of his predilection for violence (which he blamed Xehanort for cultivating), he was often the one stuck doing the morally questionable but occasionally necessary work that his profession required. Forcing himself to focus on the now, he pulled out his phone and called Cassim. They had some new leads to investigate.

So yeah, more bread crumbs about the Legion’s goals and motivations. The consequences of The Legion revealing themselves to the heroes so early will be shown at the end of San Fransokyo. Rest assured, N.I. will not be happy with these three. As for what they’re planning, people familiar with the Gargoyles comic series by Slave Labor Graphics will find a clue as to what the potions and night howlers are for.

I figured that it would make sense for Loki to start leaking information on the Hellfire Club to whoever he felt would make the most use of it, so he’s offering his services to Vanitas as an informant. In the future I’ll be having a bit more snark between the two of them as Vanitas begins to trust him more.

Anyway, that’s it for Zootopia. I know the chapters and plot were short, but I didn’t want to just copy the movie with Sora, Donald, and Goofy thrown in. Next chapter we’re heading to San Fransokyo, which will also be brief. The storylines for the Disney worlds aren’t going to be as long in this story, since most of them won’t be following the stories of their respective movies. I know this story so far is light on detailed action scenes, but I’m mostly saving the details for when they really matter story-wise.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
I'm back, everyone. Back to my normal writing schedule and regular updates.

Chapter 16: San Fransokyo:
San Fransokyo – Akuma Island:

"Weclome to San Fransokyo, Masters Terra and Ventus," greeted the Coalition Intelligence agent who greeted them when they landed on the island that had once been a Hellfire Club research lab, only to be repurposed as a C.I.N. base after the fall of Xehanort. "It's an honor to have you here," Fa Zhou went on as he led the two Keyblade Masters through the corridors of the base until they came to the facility's command center. Projected above the command table was a three-dimensional, real time holographic map of the world. There were a handful of yellow X's peppered randomly across the city, clearly indicative of Hellfire Club attacks. Then where's their main base? Terra wondered as their guide led them up to the table.

"As you can see," the older man explained. "We've encountered several points of activity from Hellfire, but we have yet to locate their central command base on this world. The attacks have been coming in at random, with no patterns that might indicate where they are coming from. While we continue to sweep for any sign of the base, we were hoping that you might be able to help speed that process along a little." Both men nodded in understanding. Not to say that C.I.N.'s agents were incompetent or not good at their jobs, but as Keyblade Wielders, they had a track record of coming up with creative solutions to problems.

"If the attacks were only along the shoreline, I'd say their base was probably underwater," Ven commented. "But since it's not, the only possibility I can think of would be an airship or some kind of floating fortress that can cloak itself from our scanners." Everyone in the room nodded in agreement, and Fa Zhou, who was in charge of the facility, ordered the radar technicians to send out surveillance drones into the upper atmosphere of San Fransokyo, scanning for everything from air currents to shadows. They didn't need to go very far, though. Fifteen minutes later, there was a ripple in the air as a large T-shaped space craft appeared out of thin air and began firing on the city below.

"BATTLE STATIONS!" Fa Zhou roared as he radioed the Coalition Defense Force. Terra and Ventus raced through the hallways towards the outdoor helipad, where they transformed their Keyblades into their old Glider modes and took off towards the city. As they flew across San Fransokyo Bay, they saw the distinctive red blur of Baymax and the other members of Big Hero 6 flying through the air towards the metal monstrosity to protect their city. The more the merrier, Ventus mused to himself as he and Terra flew towards the spaceship. The sooner we end this, the sooner we can go back home.

The Land of Departure – Dining Hall:

Despite the uneasiness the re-emergence of the Hellfire Club had caused, Aqua couldn't help but be in a good mood as she watched her and Terra's four year old son rapidly chow down on a bowl of cereal in the morning. Littus's childhood innocence was a glimmer of light and hope in these troubling times. After six years of peace, the return of villains previously thought dead or defeated was an alarming occurrence. Pushing her thoughts back to the present, she turned to her guest.

"Trust me, you and Sora will make great parents someday," she told Kairi as the Princess of Radiant Garden finished her pancakes. Originally, she and Terra had been nervous about the prospect of parenthood, but things had turned out alright. The Order of the Keyblade had been operating out of the Land of Departure for the last six years. And even if she and Terra were to ever retire permanently (they rotated staying home to be with their son and patrolling Coalition Space for the odd Heartless attack), their friends were still there to help and offer support whenever they could.

"Oh, that I don't doubt," Kairi replied with a laugh. It had been a running joke between the nine other Keyblade Wielders who were part of the Order for them to act as if she and Sora were already married, much to the couple's embarrassment. When they protested everyone else teasingly retorted that it was only a matter of time until Sora worked up the courage to propose, and that they should all start preparing for that day now. And now that they were finally engaged, the good-natured teasing had been upgraded to discussing whether the happy couple were going to have kids one day.
"We talked about it and we just decided that we were going to wait a little while before that though," she went on while the blue-haired Keyblade Master helped her child clean up the mess he'd made at the breakfast table. "As much as we do want kids someday, we don't want to just rush into it right after the wedding." Aqua conceded her point, and conversation moved on to gossiping about the other Keyblade Wielders' love lives. Ventus had started dating that ninja from Radiant Garden a few weeks back, so now Vanitas was the only one of the eleven members of the Order of the Keyblade who was still single.

While Maleficent is in charge of the Hellfire Club, like in KH1 and KH2, different members have their own agendas. Hades, Captain Hook, Diablo, and Cruella are loyal to Maleficent, but Red Skull is only allied with them as a means to an end to conquer Earth, while Malekith has got his own agenda. Expect tensions between villains to rise throughout the rest of the Acoyltes of Chaos saga. Sooner or later, we'll have a bad guy civil war on our hands.

Since they'll need aircraft to reach the Dark Elf warship, next chapter is going to have some Keyblade Glider action. And Big Hero 6 joins the fray obviously, because no way are they going to let something like this happen without them helping to fight off the villains. The action in the next two chapters will alternate between Terra, Ven, Hiro, and Baymax in the air, and the rest of Big Hero 6 on the ground team.

I picked the name of Terra and Aqua's son from the Latin word for shore. I figured since Terra= Earth and Aqua= Water, it would be fitting. Pairing Ven and Yuffie was one of those decisions I made at the last minute. My usual approach to writing long stories like this is to hammer out the broad outline of the plot and then add, subtract, or change the smaller details and bits of background info as the story develops and I'm struck with inspiration for new things to add or things that don't make sense.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This continues to grow more and more exciting with every update you make. I was extremely happy to see Loki reporting directly to Vanitas. You know, I don't think it's entirely a bad thing if Vanitas is single compared to the rest of the other keyblade wielders. Anyways, I'm glad Loki is making an effort to pull off a scheme to help the warriors of light. And I'm not entirely surprised there would be conflict between the villains. What is surprising is hearing they'll be at civil war with one another. Furthermore, I'm shocked to see Sora use powers of darkness. And to be told off like that. Sora is one of light. He doesn't deserve to be thrown into the depths of darkness! I do wonder what the Legionnaire mean by 'salvation' though. :3 I greatly enjoyed these chapters and can't wait to see more! Welcome back, KeybladeOrder!

KeybladeOrder

Awards
KitKat: Sora having dark powers was a plot point from the final battle sequences of The Xehanort War, where Xehanort's attempt to corrupt Sora into one of the Seekers of Darkness (anger at Xehanort's attempts to murder Kairi+possession by Vanitas= Dark!Sora) backfired spectacularly and made him the embodiment of the Dark Is Not Evil trope, and idea I'd gotten from TVTropes' page on Kingdom Hearts 3 speculation.
Chapter 17: Upgrades:
San Fransokyo – Up In The Sky:

“ON YOUR LEFT!!!” Ventus shouted as he dove his Keyblade Glider to the side to avoid the razor sharp wings of the enemy aircraft streaking through the skies. Baymax (with Hiro Hamada riding on the robot's back) and Terra swiftly veered out of the way as the smaller craft streaked past. Off in the distance, CDF Gummi Ships bombarded the larger command ship with laser fire. But despite the fact that a large chunk of the Coalition Fleet was firing at that thing on all cylinders, the ominous looking spaceship didn’t appear to even have so much as a dent in it from the Coalition assault. Where did the Hellfire Club get this thing? Ventus wondered to himself.

Everyone knew that there were still worlds out there that weren’t part of Coalition territory, but most of them were near enough to Coalition space that the Intelligence Network knew which ones were capable of space travel and which ones weren’t. So where this vessel came from was another mystery added to a rapidly growing pile of mysteries. Hopefully someone, nobody cared whether it was a Keyblade Wielders, C.I.N. Agent, or some random civilian from Destiny Islands, got to the bottom of the pile and figured out what was going on.

Personally, Ven’s Munny was on Vanitas ultimately being the one to put all the pieces together. Cassim had adjusted to leading the Intelligence divison quite well, as his status as a former thief meant he had a keen knowledge of how criminal underworlds were run and what made the people in them tick. But much of the success of Coalition Intelligence over the last six years could primarily be attributed to Vanitas and the fact that, as Xehanort’s apprentice and surrogate son for the first four years of his life, he’d picked up his former master’s skills as a consummate chess master. Ven’s brother (even if Sora and Ven weren’t related, the fact that Van, as he came to be canned, had been created form Ventus’ inner darkness meant that everyone considered him the blonde Key bearer’s dark twin).

Ven shifted his thoughts back to the present in time to dodge another attack run from the smaller blade-winged ships. Unfortunately, the force of a stray explosion from the cannons of a passing Gummi Ship knocked him off his glider and sent him plummeting hundreds of feet into the ocean. Thankfully, his armor protected him, enabling him to stay conscious and recognize the swarms of Heartless surging around beneath the ocean. Thanks to the upgrades done to his armor by Edna Mode, moving around in the water was relatively easy. Noticing that the Heartless were searching for something, Ven summoned his Keyblade back to his hand (and reverting it from glider form in the process) and got to work eliminating the dark monsters lurking beneath the waves.

The Heartless were easily dispatched by a few Keyblade swings and a smattering of Blizzaga and Thundaga spells. With the monsters defeated, Ven turned his weapon back into glider form and burst out from beneath the surface of the water just in time to dodge the flaming wreckage of a Coalition Gummi Ship as it crashed into the ocean below. As he flew back up to join the battle once more, an enemy space craft raced by heading downwards. But to Ventus’ horror, this ship was making a beeline for the Intelligence base. With a sense of dawning horror, Ven gunned the engine of his glider as he raced after the rapidly descending aircraft, desperately hoping to destroy the ship before it could crash into the compound.

The battle was winding down in the Daybreak Coalition’s favor, but none of that registered to the blonde-haired Keyblade Wielder as he speed through the air with Terra and Baymax (and Hiro) pulling up behind him to join in this desperate race against the clock. With each passing second they gained more ground against the kamikaze spacecraft, but it wasn’t going to be enough. The Keyblade Wielders, teen tech guru, and Personal Healthcare Companion could only watch in shock and horror as the obsidian ship slammed into the small island, demolishing the Coalition Intelligence base as it skidded from one end of the small strip of land to the other.
Earth – Avengers Tower:

There, Natasha thought to herself as she turned off the video camera she’d used to explain her imminent absence to the rest of the Avengers. She wished she could stay with the people the former Russian assassin had come to consider family for much, much longer. It was nice to be around people who knew some of her secrets and accepted her anyway. But alas, it was not meant to be. Even if she didn’t already know that she would outlive them all, this was one secret of her past that she knew they would never be able to accept. And once They came after her, there was no way her teammates would be able to stop themselves from digging into her past.

She needed to be packed up and ready to run as soon as she caught a whiff of her former colleagues’ presences. The sooner she disappeared into the night, the better. Better for them not to find out that she was more than just Natasha Barnes, Avenger and Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. The biographical information Arnim Zola had provided when she and Steve had discovered HYDRA’s plans for Project: Insight hadn’t been a complete lie, but it wasn’t the complete truth either. She had been born in 1984, but despite what the calendar said, she was much older than her date of birth suggested. And that was why the Avengers could never know. Because once they knew what she was, what she’d done, there was no going back to the way things were for her.

Steeling herself against the impending emotional pain of separating form her surrogate family, she headed off to take a cold shower to help her focus. Unfortunately, her plans for a solo shower were interrupted when she ran into Bucky in the hallway.

“Nat,” he greeted, a touch of concern in his voice. “Where’ve you been? I’ve been worried sick. You haven’t checked in at The Playground, J.A.R.V.I.S. tells me he’s been sworn to secrecy. What the hell is going on, Natalia? I get it. Secrets have been part of our lives for so long that it’s hard to break the habit, but when we got married we promised we wouldn’t hide things from each other unless it was a mission for S.H.I.E.L.D., and I know that this isn’t mission-related. Talk to me, Tasha. Please.”

Despite attempting to keep a straight face, the infamous Black Widow couldn’t help but let a trace of fear leak through the cracks in her mask. She and Bucky had agreed on their wedding day that they had enough skeletons in their closets that they hid from their teammates without hiding them from each other. But for all of his actions as the metaphorical fist of HYDRA, Natasha was sure that not even he would be able to accept who she was and what she’d done.

“I want to, James,” she admitted shakily. Even around her husband she was still hesitant to show vulnerability. Old habits die hard and all that. “I really do. But there are things in my past that not even S.H.I.E.L.D. know about. And if anyone else knew… what I am… What I’ve done… Not even you’d be able to look at me anymore once you knew my real story.” James was rocked. He knew that few things were enough to rattle his wife, who was a master of rolling with the punches of life. But for her to show pure, unfiltered terror, something serious had to be going on. And it sounded like it had something to do with this aspect of her past that was apparently so dark and horrific that she was convinced he’d divorce her if he knew the truth. As a way of reassuring her, he leaned in and gave his wife a kiss.

“The whole reason we clicked so well is because we both understand how it feels to have so much red in your ledger that it feels like you’ll never wipe it all out,” he said reassuringly. “Whatever you think is so horrifying that it will ruin our relationship, it’s not gonna happen. We may have bumps in the road every now and then, but we’ll get through it like we always have. I love you.” Feeling slightly reassured, Natasha finally resolved that Bucky was right. As her husband, he had a right to know the truth about her past. It was time to tell him the truth.

Our first boss battle of the story begins next chapter, ladies and gentlemen, just as casualties begin to mount up. And I just wanted to clarify a small detail about the Vanitas and Loki section. The C.I.N. agents know of the Avengers through Monsters Inc.’s observations of the human world (Earth), since they have to get the info on the kids they scare/make laugh somehow. But they don’t monitor world news or anything, so when C.I.N. Agents to go to Earth later on in the saga, they will be going in completely blind to the geopolitical climate and things like S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, and Asgard.

And yeah, some WinterWidow fluff in this chapter at the end. I paired Natasha with Bucky since they have a history together in the comics, and the fact that Betty and Bruce are still together in this universe so HulkWidow never happened in this universe. Because of their who schtick as “infamous assassins with dark pasts” deal, I felt it would be fitting for them to end up together. But the exact details of her secret past will not be revealed until later in the Acolytes of Chaos saga. Can’t give too many hints or I’ll spoil all the big surprises.

Yes, the Dark Elf mini-ship crashing into the C.I.N. base is a Shout-Out to Thor: The Dark World when they crash their ship into the throne room of Asgard’s royal palace. Just a fun little nod since the events of that film didn’t happen in this universe, but I nevertheless wanted to acknowledge that fun sequence from the movie.
On Ven’s comments about Vanitas being a Chessmaster, I figured that he’d probably have learned things from Xehanort beyond dark powers and combat skills. So Vanitas being skilled at seeing the big picture and how all the pieces fit on the board so to speak makes sense as something he’d picked up from Old Baldy.

And yes, I did name drop the crazy hilarious awesomeness that is Edna Mode. Yes, a world for The Incredibles will be appearing, but in my KH5 story, not in this one. And no, it’s not a Tethered world, but why and how it resembles Earth culture will be explained when it’s finally visited. And a quick head’s up, after KH5, the final 4 stories in the Acolytes of Chaos saga will be set entirely on Earth. So no new worlds after KH5.

Master Exin

Awards
Somewhat interesting so far.

List of heroes I want to see in your story:
Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
Ortensia
Andre the Android
Darkwing Duck
José Carioca
Panchito Pistoles
Launchpad McQuack
Spring Sprite
Aladar
Kuzco
Milo Thatch

List of villains I want to see:
Queen Grimhilde
The Horned King
Shere Khan
Scar
Braig
Negaduck
Mortimer Mouse
The Phantom Blot

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Master Exin: in my previous story in this universe, The Xehanort War (posted here on KHInsider and on Fan Fiction.net), I've already featured Kuzco and Milo. Braig got killed off permanently at the end. Oswald and Ortensia were introduced in the interquels posted on fanfiction.net and will be recurring characters in this saga I'm working on. Darkwing and Launchpad will most certainly be guest party members next chapter. Never heard of Andre, Jose and Panchito will probably show up evenetually as cameos in Disney Castle/Town Scenes, and as much as I love Dinosaur, I will not be featuring that movie in the Acolytes of Chaos saga at all. I just feel that a world of talking dinosaurs doesn't really offer much in the way of contributing to the overall plot of the story.
Chapter 18: The Man In The Mask:
San Fransokyo – Akuma Island:

Ventus and Terra dismissed their Gliders and reverted them back into Keyblades as they leaped down to the ruins of the Intelligence base on Akuma Island. All around them, injured C.I.N. Agents were dragging themselves to their feet and either helping out the other wounded or passing out Hi-Potions so that at least some of the island’s staff would be prepared to face whatever enemy was still inside the ebon spacecraft. As the two Keyblade Masters stood in the burning wreckage of the compound, a creaking sound echoed across the islands as a ramp lowered from what was clearly the front of the ship. Everyone braced themselves, preparing for a fight.

But they weren’t prepared for what came next, as several strange looking figures who looked like elves wearing porcelain masks came charging out of the ship, firing off plasma rifles left and right. While Ven, Terra, and a handful of C.I.N. Agents were able to get Reflega spells up in time, several more fell from the relentless assault. Ven boiled with anger as he and the others began moving to cover the wounded agents and shield them from enemy fire. Especially when some of the dark elves broke away from the rest of their formation and headed towards the staircase to pick off the wounded in the lower levels of the facility.

While Ven charged after the splinter group, Terra stayed to cover the retreat as Gummi Ships providing air support arrived to evacuate the wounded to San Fransokyo General Hospital. He was shocked when one of them tossed a grenade that caused one of the Gummi Ships providing cover fire to collapse in on itself in what looked like a miniature black hole. Hurry up, Ven, he urged his surrogate brother as he waded his way through the elven troops, hoping to eliminate or incapacitate them before they could start using those grenades on the evacuees. He had no intention of dying and leaving his son to grow up without a father.

As the last of the elves collapsed to the ground, Terra looked up and saw through the visor of his armor three more of the attacks walking calmly down the ramp of the ship. But the thing about this group is that while the third elf trailing in the back was no different than the rest, the two in the front were not wearing any masks whatsoever. The one on Terra’s right had pale skin and carried himself with an authority that clearly marked him as the leader. Which meant that the one on Terra’s left was the leader’s second-in-command.

“I am Malekith, ruler of Svartalfheim,” the pale one spoke first. “I have come on behalf of Maleficent and her Hellfire Club. But my first and only loyalty is to my people, so this once I shall offer you mercy. Provide me with information on where to find the Reality Stone and I will spare your lives.”

“As if we’d ever accept a deal from someone who’s already slaughtered hundreds of people in this attack alone,” Terra retorted angrily, the beginnings of a Dark Firaga spell swirling silently around his clenched fist. “We’ll pass.” Malekith only grinned malevolently in response.

“Very well,” the Dark Elf leader replied. “As you humans enjoy saying, ‘have it your way’.” With that, he gestured to the foot soldier standing behind him. As Malekith and his lieutenant turned on their heels and marched back to their ship, the unarmed Dark Elf stepped forward and pulled a small, glowing stone from his belt. As the elf crushed the stone in his fist, Terra’s stomach twisted in knots as the elven warrior writhed and shrieked in pain while the glow of the stone spread all over his body. Seconds later, the glow faded, and where once an unarmed and defenseless foot soldier was now stood a large, bulked up behemoth. Realizing what the stone did, Terra took charge and raced forward, swinging his Keyblade at the enemy.

The battle to contain the bestial warrior raged on for the next hour as Ventus, Baymax, and the rest of Big Hero Six joined in. The enhanced elf proved to be a formidable opponent, but between the combined skill of five superheroes, a crime-fighting robot, and two full-fledged Keyblade Masters, the monstrous soldier finally fell. The fact that they had been able to pilfer the berseker’s black hole grenade certainly helped. But during the chaos, Malekith had flown the crashed vessel back to his command ship and departed, vanishing into thin air as if the entire ship had flown through a Corridor of Darkness.

While both Key bearers were relieved that whatever Maleficent was searching for was not in San Fransokyo, the high casualties of the battle laid heavy on their hearts. They spend the rest of the night gathering up the bodies of the fallen and preparing to transport them back to their home worlds for burial. Not even the elderly Fa Zhou had been spared from the Dark Elves’ massacre. As Terra and Ven boarded the Gummi Ship escorting the agents who were citizens of Radiant Garden back home for their respective funerals, Terra couldn’t help but think of what would happen to his family if he had been caught up in one of those miniature black holes. He just prayed that he’d never have to find out.
Unknown World – Unknown Location:

“YOU IDIOTS!!!” N.I. roared in fury as she slammed her fist down on her desk. In front of her, the three Legionnaires sent to Zootopia flinched at the anger in her words. “One of the core philosophies of the Legion is that we operate IN SECRET! And what do you do when cornered by the enemy? Announce your identity and start blabbing about the Endgame like it’s your first day. Could you be any more incompetent?” Ordinarily, disciplinary hearings would be held at another base with the entire council presiding over the hearing as judges. But considering the scope of what these three imbeciles had done, N.I. felt that it wasn’t worth the effort for a trial and she needed to skip straight to the sentencing.”

“Please forgive us, Madame N.I.,” the woman in command of the strike team begged, shaking in fear. “We meant no disrespect. We only wished to strike fear into the heart of our foes through the use of psychological warfare.” Unfortunately for the ashamed Legionnaires, this did nothing to temper their commander in chief’s foul mood. N.I.’s light brown eyes burned with a fiery passion as she glared at the legionnaires standing before her.

“Your intentions may have been in the right place,” she countered. “But that doesn’t excuse the stupidity of your execution. I’m hear by suspending you all from active field missions for the next six months. Until then, you’ll be scrubbing all the toilets on each of our bases. Perhaps that will teach you all to keep your mouths shut when facing those false guardians.” Glumly, the three soldiers bowed submissively before shuffling out of the room. Once the door had been shut behind then, the leader of the Legion groaned in frustration as she laid her head in her hands. Honestly. Most of the Legion’s operatives had been alive for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. They should all know better than to let critical information slip like that.

And the worst part was that they had told it directly to Sora. Madame N.I.’s eyes burned with anger as she thought of the man whose crimes were well known. After Xehanort’s attempt to corrupt him, he had inadvertently become immersed in Darkness, and yet he dared to wield the sacred power of the X – Blade. Such blasphemy could not be allowed to go unpunished. And now those three imbeciles had telegraphed their future moves. Her one consolation was that what little the idiots had revealed to the Coalition forces had been vague enough that nothing too damaging had gotten out. The Endgame could still proceed on schedule. Soon, the world would be whole, darkness and all who wielded it would be cleansed from the universe, and The Legion would guide mankind towards a bright, glorious future.

Another cryptic hint towards the Legion’s goals. Because even a simple statement like that fails to reveal the totality of what N.I. and her followers are planning to do. But I think you all get the idea that they see anyone who uses darkness as evil, whether it's someone like Xehanort who gives Darkness a bad reputation, or someone like Riku who uses it for good.

Malekith’s machinations won’t take shape until later chapters, but I think it’s obvious to all of you at this point that he’s going to pull a “Dragon With An Agenda” on Maleficent later on. His one and only loyalty is to his people, and Maleficent is simply a means to an end for him, and vice versa. The bad guy civil war won’t be starting until Malekith and Maleficent each decide that the other has outlived their usefulness. ;)

Tragedy strikes the Fa family. Mulan seeking to avenge her father’s murder will be a recurring plot point throughout the saga as the heroes and other warriors of the Daybreak Coalition come into conflict with Maleficent and her cabal.

Alright folks, next chapter is when we move over to the Darkwing Duck world. After that world is concluded, we’ll pop over to a world that’s been around since KH1, and one that Square has been trying to put in since KH1 but has never been able to (hint: the only Pixar film to have 2 (soon to be 3) sequels ;) )

Master Exin

Awards
Andre's from the first Pixar short film, The Adventures of Andre & Wally B. But it's alright, it's your story, even though I haven't read your first story. I'm still curious what the name "N.I." stands for. I'm also guessing Toy Story's in the next chapter.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I'm happy Terra survives to be reunited with his son once more. Too bad Mulan's father had to die from Malekith's attack. I did like the nod towards Thor: The Dark World, because I happened to like that part of the movie too. Anyways, Ventus kicking butt was awesome. I like how Vanitas is considered a brother and ally to Ventus and Sora. Furthermore, I wonder if the Legion will attack Riku directly? It'd be one way to hurt Sora in the grand scheme of things if they really think darkness is as awful as it seems. I imagine Sora could lose control because of something like that. On the other hand, Nat and Bucky for the win! <3 Both chapters were awesome and a lot of fun to read. <3

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Master Exin: Actually, this chapter is Darkwing Duck. After we're finished in that world, we'll pop over for 3 chapters in Agrabah, and then Toy Story.

KitKat: You're close, but not quite. In any case, the kind of thing you're predicting won't come to pass until all the final chapter of the Acolytes of Chaos Saga in KH6 (if you're interested in what other stories are planned in this saga, I refer you to my fanfiction.net profile under the username DragonKey27). But for now, let's just say that when the time comes, the Legion doesn't discriminate between people who wield darkness, and people who don't wield it but support those who do (meaning basically everyone in the coalition, but you know who I'm really implying they'll go after. But it's not going to be a simple rehash of the times she's been captured (in KH2 and TXW). It'll start to make sense as the plot progresses.

Just a head’s up, this chapter’s going to be a bit suggestive at the end. Not in a “change the fantiction.net rating to M because it’s graphic” kind of way, just in the “this is why it’s rated T” way.

Chapter 19: St. Canard:
The Lanes Between – G.S. Highwind:

Just who are those guys? Sora wondered to himself as he looked down at the wisps of Darkness curling around his hand. He’d known that some people were uneasy about the dark powers he’d unintentionally acquired during the final battle against Xehanort, but that was more to do with the powers than with him as a person. These people, this “Legion” were convinced that anyone who used darkness was evil. Kind of reminds me of some people’s attitudes before the Xehanort War, he thought with a soft chuckle. For thousands of years, people had always seen darkness as a force of evil and destruction. Now though, people were beginning to realize that it was just a natural part of the universe, and it was those who used it for their own insidious ends that were evil, not the darkness itself.

But evidently, the Legion hadn’t gotten the memo. Were circumstances a little different, he’d have assumed that they were from a world that hadn’t been discovered by the Coalition yet. But the fact that they had the resources to sneak into a heavily guarded crime scene undetected and steal weapons previously used by the Hellfire Club told a different story. These people were organized, they clearly had some kind of goal beyond blindly lashing out at those they considered impure, and those two factors marked them as a serious threat. He, Donald, and Goofy had already mentioned as much in their report to Coalition Intelligence after the battle. Now all that needed to be done was to wait and see what they came up with.

Not to say that Sora didn’t enjoy flying around the worlds fighting bad guys, but with the advent of the Coalition and the rescue of Terra, Aqua, and Ven, he was relieved to not have the burden of being one of the only Keyblade Wielders on his shoulders. He didn’t have to do everything himself anymore. Which meant plenty of time for sightseeing trips with Kairi when they both had time for a vacation. And now he’d been spending his nights texting his fiancé and discussing wedding plans. They’d unanimously decided to have their wedding back home on the Destiny Islands. They weren’t sure about the date yet, but they both already picked out bridesmaids and groomsmen. Unfortunately, they hadn’t been able to talk about picking a date yet because of the threat of the Hellfire Club, and now the Legion.

But while they were a serious threat, Sora couldn’t figure out for the life of him what their objective was. They kept talking about “salvation” and “saving the lost” but none of the now famous trio could figure out what any of it meant. The “cast into the dark realm where you belong” part was easy to decipher, if predictable. But what cycle they were talking about he could only guess. The only cycle any of them knew of was the cycle of the Keyblade War they knew from a report written by Braig that they’d discovered hidden in the Land of Departure’s library. How every ten thousand years, the scattered fragments of the original world would put themselves back together again before breaking apart in another Keyblade War.

The pattern had been repeating itself for so long that nobody knew how long ago it had started. Perhaps the Legion wanted to find a way to stop. He shook his head to tear himself away from fruitless speculation and returned his focus to the task at hand. They had to figure out how far the Hellfire Club’s infiltration had spread without the Intelligence Network noticing. And as Donald just announced that they’d arrived at Saint Canard, where they’d been directed to investigate for signs of a base, he hoped that this visit would put them one step closer.
“Alright,” Donald called out as he set the ship on autopilot for landing at the local spaceport before joining Goofy in climbing down from the cockpit to stuff their pockets with Potions and Ethers for the battles they were sure to encounter. “Let’s get going.”

“Maybe we can get that fella Darkwing to help out,” Goofy commented as they finished packing.

“Oh yeah,” Sora added as he recalled the local superhero they’d encountered when they’d made first contact with this world. “I liked that guy. He’s hilarious!”

“NO HE’S NOT!!!” Donald snapped indignantly as Sora and Goofy burst out laughing. Oh right, Sora remembered. Donald always gets worked up whenever he and DW are in the same room together. This’ll probably be fun.
St. Canard – The Docks:

An hour later, the three heroes were gathered around a small warehouse on the docks at the edge of the city of St. Canard. They were accompanied by a combination of local police officers, UCA troops, and Intelligence operatives as they prepared to raid another Hellfire base. Warriors of varying species and gender armed themselves in the shadows of the seemingly abandoned structure. The clatter of rain on the metal rooftop of the target building was just loud enough to mask the sound of swords being sharpened and projectile weapons of miscellaneous make and model were being loaded up.

“Is everyone ready?” called out C.I.N. Agent Derek Blunt as the St. Canard chapter of the Intelligence Network (locally known by the pseudonym S.H.U.S.H.) finished readying their weapons.

“All set,” Sora replied once he, Donald, and Goofy had finished double-checking their items and equipment to make sure they were prepared for battle. “We’re good to go.” But before Blunt could give everyone the order to move out, the strike teams were interrupted by the sound of a motorcycle engine roaring towards their base camp. Oh no, Donald groaned mentally. Not this guy. But to Donald’s frustration (but Sora and Goofy’s entertainment), the drone of the motorcycle was soon followed by loud shouting from a familiar duck.

“I am the thing that goes bump in the night! I am the neurosis that requires a 500 an hour shrink! I AM DARKWING DUCK!!!!!” Sora’s laughter and Donald’s angry ranting were drowned out by the revving engine as Darkwing himself appeared out of thin air in a puff of smoke, motorcycle and all.
Twilight Town – Roxas and Xion’s house:

“Do you think we’ll have to come out of retirement?” Xion asked as she gazed out the window at the morning sky of Twilight Town. While she wanted the conflict with the Hellfire Club to be over as quickly as possible, she (and the rest of her house mates) were uneasy at the thought of having to pick up their Keyblades again. They would do whatever they needed to help their friends of course, but after how crazy their lives had been because of the Keyblades they wielded, they’d wanted to live out the rest of their lives without being on the front lines of whatever conflicts were going on.

“I don’t know,” Roxas replied from beside her as he put his arm around her shoulder. “I guess it really depends on how serious it is. If it’s just a couple of holdouts who’ve managed to stay hidden for the last half a decade, then we shouldn’t have anything to worry about. But if it’s something bigger, something on the same scale as Xehanort, then they’re probably going to need all hands on deck.” Xion nodded her reluctant agreement as they laid there in Roxas’s bed before she reached up and wrapped her fingers around a thin strap as she pulled her bra down from the windowsill.

“Last night was great though,” she remarked as she pulled up the covers and turned to admire her boyfriend from behind as he got dressed. While Sora and Kairi were the type to wait until after getting married to sleep together, Roxas and Xion had taken to sharing a bed since a few weeks after Xehanort’s demise. Recurring nightmares woke them in the middle of the night and drove them to seek comfort from each other. They’d falls asleep in one of their beds and comfort each other when they woke up in the middle of the night after reliving their deaths in their dreams. When they admitted their romantic feelings for each other and upgraded to being a couple, their nights together became more… intimate.

“Definitely,” he added as he finished pulling up his pants and turned around to pass Xion her shirt. “I just hope we can do this one more time before we get called up to the front lines. If we do get dragged out of retirement, that is.” He leaned in and gave his girlfriend a kiss before heading out to the bathroom to wash up for the morning. After their graduation from high school, they’d both decided that they wanted to stay in Twilight Town, having felt that they’d done enough world hopping back in their days as members of Organization XIII. So Xion go a job working at the local Weapon Shop on Station Heights while Roxas was working at the Moogles’ Synthesis Shop in the Tram Common.

It wasn’t glamorous, but with Lea spending most of his time in Arendelle with Queen Elsa while Namine had moved in with Pence, they only had to pay for utilities and groceries for the two of them. Between the two of them, their paychecks were enough for them to live comfortably together. While they could have downgraded to a smaller apartment if they chose to, they had too many memories attached to this place for them to just sell it. This was the first place they’d really been able to call home, and they were rather attached to the house. While Roxas got himself cleaned up for work, Xion made pancakes for the two of them. They ate breakfast together, and Roxas cleaned up the dishes and took out the trash so Xion could get cleaned up herself.

Once they were both ready, they headed off to work, hopeful for the future but ready to help their friends if they were needed. And speaking of friends, Roxas was getting ready to take a leaf from Sora’s book and finally propose to Xion. Wielding a Keyblade wasn’t the only thing he’d inherited form his “Somebody” after all.

Wanted to start off with this chapter having Sora reflect on what they’ve learned about the Legion so far. He’s not going through any angst over his use of darkness or anything. Everyone knocked sense into his head about that at the end of TXW and during the time-skip. He’s just concerned about the fact that after six years nobody has ever discovered these people before, and he’s concerned about what they mean by “salvation.”

And yeah, I thought it’d be hilarious if Donald couldn’t stand Darkwing Duck, so I threw that in there. Expect Donald to throw lots and lots of temper tantrums at DW in the next 2 chapters. Let the comedy begin. In regards to Darkwing Duck easter eggs, fans of that show will recognize S.H.U.S.H. as the DWD world’s version of S.H.I.E.L.D. the same way Global Justice fulfills a similar role in Kim Possible. Duckwing's one line in this chapter is a quote from the show (a variation of his catchphrase that I found in a clip on youtube so don't ask me which episode it's from, I haven't actually watched the show. Tried to once but it just ended up not being my thing)

As for the whole bit at the end with Roxas and Xion sleeping together, while Sora and Kairi are I think the type to save it for after their wedding, I thought it would be interesting to have Roxas and Xion contrast with them on that subject.

Anyway, a lot of the end-of-chapter scenes before and from here are meant to show different characters’ perspectives on the return of the Hellfire Club, the Legion, HYDRA, etc. Just a little bit of fluff to show how the side characters are reacting to what’s going on around them. The rest such scenes will be “villains plotting” scenes that will give insight into the bad guys’ plans and motivations.

Master Exin

Awards
Oh yeah! Darkwing Duck FTW!
Though I still wonder, what the "N.I." and the "C.I.N." stand for again?
Anyway, I hope we get to see Spring Sprite and the Firebird sometime soon, but you can take your time if you wish.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
C.I.N. stands for Coalition Intelligence Network. Basically being like the KH worlds version of the FBI, CIA, S.H.I.E.L.D. etc. The meaning of ""N.I." is a spoiler that won't be revealed till this end of this story so have fun guessing! :) The Firebird actually does play a role in the overall story funnily enough. But i leave it to you to guess whose side it will be on (I know it's technically a force of nature and has no side but its own, but you know I'm saying it's a surprise who will be the ones to awaken it)

Master Exin

Awards
C.I.N. stands for Coalition Intelligence Network. Basically being like the KH worlds version of the FBI, CIA, S.H.I.E.L.D. etc. The meaning of ""N.I." is a spoiler that won't be revealed till this end of this story so have fun guessing! :) The Firebird actually does play a role in the overall story funnily enough. But i leave it to you to guess whose side it will be on (I know it's technically a force of nature and has no side but its own, but you know I'm saying it's a surprise who will be the ones to awaken it)
Okay, I'd guess this "NI" might be related to some obscure Disney or Final Fantasy character, but still, can't wait to find out. And if I had to make another guess, it's our heroes who will awaken it by accident.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Master Exin: actually no, it's going to be something shrouded in myth and legend that the Legion seeks to use as part of their ultimate plan. What that is and what role the Firebird plays in it I'm not going to say this early in the story.

The title of the chapter naturally comes from the Darkwing Duck theme song. And Vanitas’ scene at the end of this chapter reveals a bit more about daily life and politics in the Daybreak Coalition.

Chapter 20: Darkwing Duck:
St. Canard – The Docks:

After a good fifteen minutes of Donald ranting at Darkwing Duck’s attempt to barge in to help with the raid, Sora and Blunt managed to calm Donald down and arrange for Darkwing to lend a hand as long as he and Donald were kept on opposite ends of the warehouse as much as possible. Donald continued to grumble about the local superhero’s antics even as Goofy and Sora finished off the popcorn they’d prepared and eaten over the course of the two ducks’ racaus disagreement. Of course, this disagreement was largely one-sided, and consisted of Donald insulting Darking even as the caped crime-fighter remained entirely oblivious to the Disney Town magician’s complains about his modus operandi. With a signal from Agent Blunt, the strike teams swarmed into the building.

The warehouse was mostly abandoned as Sora, Donald, and Goofy marched through the front door to find the most bizarre sight before them. Hidden behind a curtain in the empty metal building were rows of strange looking contraptions consisting of a large full body harness with thick metal restraints on the sides connected to television screens that were displaying a random assortment of bizarre, kaleidoscopic patterns that were at once unnerving and hypnotic at the same time. The most disturbing element was the fact that prominent local criminals were each strapped into one of these devices, which clearly numbered at least fifty, and a manipulator arm attached to their restrains was holding each of their eyes open. All appeared to be in a fugue state of some kind.

“What is this place?” Sora wondered aloud with a touch of fear in his voice. He was beginning to suspect that this was no longer (or even had never been) a Hellfire Club base. Sure Maleficent was known for torturing information out of people, but never to the extent of something like this. This was clearly something new. The Legion maybe? He wondered as he radioed Agent Blunt and notified him of their findings and his theory. Darkwing Duck blanched with horror at the sight of so many of his usual rogues gallery shackled to these things. Sure, they were bad people, but he’d never wish something like this.

Blunt quickly regained his composure and dispatched half the strike teams to sweep the rest of the building and gathered the rest of the group on the ground floor to free the prisoners and recover as much data on what this whole set up was for while they still had the chance. Most of the villains remained in that far away state where they didn’t respond to anything, even after being released form their restraints. Some of them were more coherent, but at the same time were acting so out of character that Darkwing (who was being dangerously serious in light of the situation) was beginning to suspect that these devices were related to mind control somehow.

While C.I.N. analysts began combing over the computers in the hopes of gleaning new information from them, Sora walked over to a central pedestal that appeared to be wired into every single one of those harnesses. Connected to the top of the small pillar of pipes and wires was a metal helmet, almost like football headgear with the words “Hench Co. Attitudinator” engraved on the back of it,” and two glass bulbs, one red, one blue, on either side above what would almost be mistaken for ear coverings. Deducing that it was the power source for the screens somehow, the brunette Keyblade Master was about to being disconnecting the cords when a familiar voice called out.

“How unfortunate,” the man said. All eyes turned towards the upper level catwalk where a lone figure stood in brown robes, flanked by two others in identical clothing. Sora couldn’t remember where he’d heard that voice before, but something about it just put him on edge. His expression hardened in anticipation of a fight as the man continued speaking. “And here I was hoping that when the Endgame was completed, as many people could be saved as possible without having to resort to Praetor Gao’s methods. But alas, it seems that only a few of the unworthy can be spared without undergoing The Change.”

“You just love to make cryptic comments, don’t you?” Sora remarked sarcastically as he, Donald, and Goofy used parkour and Flowmotion skills to reach the upper walkway to block the mysterious man’s escape. The brown robes were a dead giveaway that they were once again dealing with this “Legion.”

“Hardly, Sora,” the man replied. “Although it would seem that you managed to claim what you needed without losing what is dear to you.” Sora’s face scrunched up in confusion as he tried to figure out what the man was talking about. Deciding that it was just more “cryptic bullshit” as Vanitas so eloquently put it, he returned the man’s vague remarks with a glare. “It would seem we have overstayed our welcome here in this darkness-infested city of Saint Canard. It’s time we took our leave. Taurus!” He turned as he addressed one of St. Canard’s leading crime bosses, who Darkwing Duck had just finished releasing from his restraints. “Stall them for me and your compliance will be rewarded. You know what to do.”

“Happy to comply,” the anthropomorphic bull answered before slamming his would-be rescuer into the dirt. Sora charged towards the man in charge of the facility in an attempt to stop the Legionnaire from getting away, only to be thrown off the edge of the catwalk by a blast of salmon-colored energy. Donald, and Goofy dove off the walkway to catch their friend as the robed figures vanished through portals of light. As Taurus Bulba singlehandedly faced down the strike team members on the ground floor, a computerized voice called out from the speakers wired around the ceiling.
“Self-Destruct sequence initiated,” the voice began. “T – Minus five minutes until thermal detonation.”

The instant the self-destruct sequence began counting down, everyone sprang into action. Taurus Bulba and the newly freed villains who weren’t restrained charged forwards and began attacking the raiding teams. This forced Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Darkwing to jump into the thick of the fray to keep the bad guys at bay while Agent Blunt began evacuating everyone else out of the building. C.I.N. Agents, UCA troopers, and Saint Canard police officers poured out of the room in a mad rush to escape the imminent explosion while the heroes went up against the bad guys. Darkwing was able to pick off the smaller ones fairly quickly while Sora and his friends used every spell and technique in their repertoires to dodge Bulba’s punches and retaliate with their own strikes.

As the countdown wound down, Sora and Donald resorted to attempting to freeze Taurus with Blizzaza spells to keep him contained. Meanwhile, Darkwing was assisting in transporting the detained villains for questioning. If they could figure out just what the Legion was doing to them, then maybe they could figure out just who this group was and what they were planning. Unfortunately, the anthropomorphic bull turned out to be resistant to ice magic and Zero Gravity spells, forcing the group to flee the building mere seconds before the metal structure was blown sky high in a blazing inferno.

The local fire department immediately set to containing the blaze as the SCPD began loading the captive rogues into the back of police cars and armored transport vans. C.I.N. Agents performed a thorough sweep of the area for any signs of further activity from the Legion while Coalition Army troopers accompanied the firefighters into the fire in case there were any survivors hiding in the scorching flames, waiting to plan an ambush against anyone who came in to contain the blaze. As Sora, Donald, and Goofy stared at the grim scene before them, they found that they couldn’t shake the gnawing feeling that they knew who the Legionnaire who’d taunted them inside really was beneath his hood.

The Lanes Between – G.S. Existentialist:

“This is not good,” Cassim said over the phone as Vanitas contacted him from aboard the C.I.N. courier Gummi Ship the Existentialist. Cassim didn’t need to specify what he was talking about. Even if he hadn’t already been contacted by Terra and Ventus, the attack on San Fransokyo and subsequent destruction of the local Intelligence base was already all over Coalition-wide news feeds. The base had been a small one, with only a dozen agents based there, while another thirty-eight had arrived to help with the search for the Hellfire Club base. But for the comparatively small Intelligence Network, which deployed only about a hundred and fifty operatives across thirty-two member worlds, it was a devastating blow. With a third of their operatives annihilated in a single attack, the remaining C.I.N. agents would be spread thin until they could hired enough new recruits to fill in the ranks.

Which meant that Vanitas was in for an even bigger headache managing all of this, as he mentally compiled to-do lists and how to rearrange duty rosters for all active agents while the Existentialist sped towards their base in Arendelle. At the top of his list was the installation of anti-aircraft cannons at the remaining C.I.N. facilities, mentally cursing himself for not anticipating ever having to deal with enemies who were perfectly willing to perform kamikaze attacks against their foes. There were Heartless with similar methods, but none of them were large enough to destroy an entire island compound just by crash landing. The dark Key bearer sighed as he hung up and leaned back in his bed and listened the steady vibrations of the ship’s bulkhead as they traveled through space.

For all his dark powers, Vanitas preferred the slower methods of travel. While Dark Corridors were convenient and near-instantaneous, he found the low hum of a Gummi Ship’s engines as it soared through the lanes between to be a relaxing sensation. Life as a spymaster was a stressful job, and people tended to relieve their stress however it could. For some, it was drinking and exercise. For Vanitas, it was space travel and the occasional one-night stand. Prostitution had been non-existent on most Coalition member worlds and outright illegal on others when the alliance had first been formed, but few objected to some people having active sex lives as long as it was consensual and women didn’t get pregnant.

Not that the latter really made a difference to Vanitas, since he had no desire to become a father until he was ready to settle down and get married. Therefore, he took precautions with his dates religiously. Or his female ones at least. While many people on Earth would expect worlds with medieval societies like Enchanted Dominion and Castle of Dreams to shun and revile those of what Earth called the LGBT community, between Heartless attacks and the threat of Maleficent, nobody on any Coalition world really cared who a person preferred to have sex with as long as it was consensual and the age difference was considered small enough to be acceptable. Pedophilia was after all, unanimously reviled throughout Coalition Space.

Turning his thoughts back to the present, Vanitas snapped out of his reflection and leaned towards the night stand and turned off the lights. The flight from San Fransokyo back to Twilight Town (he’d personally come to oversee Search and Rescue operations along with the recovery of the base’s computer files) was ten hours. With the headache ahead of him, he wasn’t going to get a chance to pick up any dates any time soon. Best to get as much sleep now while he still had the chance to do so.

I know last chapter I said hilarity would ensue when Donald and Darkwing interacted, but when I sat down to write this chapter, because of my unfamiliarity with the show, I didn’t feel that I could do the comedy of the scene justice, as everyone would be imagining how things went down on their own and each have their individual expectations. So feel free to fill in the gaps with your own interpretation of the Donald/Darkwing comedy show. Sometime, I’ve felt that when I’m unsure of if I can do something like this justice, leave it vague enough that everyone can fill in the blanks with what they expect of the scene in question.

For those of you who don’t recognize the reference, the Existentialist is a shout out to the gloriously hilarious KH parody fanfiction Those Lacking Spines by Organization VI on fanfiction.net. It basically stars Xaldin, Vexen, and Lexaeus in a fourth-wall breaking, side-splittingly funny story that makes fun of bad fanfiction clichés and the various foibles of the KH fandom in general, lampooning topics ranging from High School AUs to self-insert Organization member OCs. Give it a read and prepare to laugh so hard you wet your pants. I will be popping in more easter eggs like that every once in a while (I’ve already used the “Larxene forces the whole Organization to watch Maolin Rouge” reference in one of the interquels between The Xehanort War and this story, but expect to hear TLS’ assortment of soul/coffee jokes at some point.)

Daredevil fans will recognize the name Gao and can probably guess what that means. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fans who had seen the first half of Season 2 on the other hand, know all too well the meaning of the phrase “Compliance will be rewarded.” And people who've seen the Kim Possible episodes "Bad Boy" and "Stop Team Go" will recognize the Attitudinator. Be afraid for what these two elements imply for later in the story, my dear readers. Be very afraid. (Cue maniacal laughter).

The reason I’ve made the Coalition Intelligence Network so small is because I don’t want them to be this big all-encompassing government organization like S.H.I.E.L.D. was before Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I wanted them to be smaller and more intimate, like S.H.I.E.L.D. post-TWS on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., only with government funding and legitimacy. So now everyone’s going to be shortstaffed, presenting a problem for Vanitas now that he needs to start travelling around maneuvering all the remaining chess pieces on the metaphorical board into position.

And yes, those who have already read all of my Acolytes of Chaos fics remember that Vanitas is bisexual in this universe. With him out from under Xeanort’s thumb, I decided to make him really get around in his love life as another contrast with Sora. I felt it would be an interesting comparison/contrast in relationships. Sora and Kairi are in a committed relationship but are saving the sex for after marriage, Roxas and Xion are in a relationship but sleep together regularly, and Vanitas just sleeps around. I will be pairing Vanitas up with someone eventually, but it will not be in the Acolytes of Chaos Saga. Rather it will be part of the next saga I have planned in this universe, Invaders From Beyond. Haven’t decided who to pair him with yet and I don’t want that decision to have to weigh down the story of the AOC saga. So, since IFB is years away from even being started (and I probably won’t finish Acolytes of Chaos until at least next year), I decided to save it for then.

Kingdom Hearts fans who know their dialogue will recognize the identity of the guy in charge of this Legion base from his cryptic comment to Sora. For those who recognize who he is, please refrain from spoiling. If you haven’t put the pieces together yet from my other cryptic background references during The Xehanort War and the interquels about who and what the Legion is, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING SPOILERS IN COMMENTS AND REVIEWS. Thank you. I took a big risk by leaving a hint like this so exposed, and I don’t want anyone to spoil the fun of guessing for everyone else.

I was originally going to make the Darkwing Duck world 3 chapters, but I couldn't figure out a way to stretch the battle out in a way I felt could fill a whole chapter, so I just truncated it and merged it with this chapter.

Last edited:

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Chapter 21: Agrabah:
Castle of Dreams – Fa Family Farm:

Mulan and Shang laughed at one of Grandmother Fa’s anecdotes as they sat in the living room of the house Mulan’s parents had been living in for the last six years. It wasn’t their family farm back in China, but because they’d all been on Radiant Garden when the Xehanort War ended and their world had been Tethered, they’d been stranded out in Coalition space. Nevertheless, they made the most of their situation. They’d moved out of the inn in Radiant Garden and bought a patch of land in the kingdom surrounding Castle of Dreams, and began building their family farm from scratch. Over time, they’d adapted to their situation and moved on from the tragic separation from their homeland.

Fa Zhou was due to return home from his deployment to the C.I.N. base in San Fransokyo later this evening, and since Mulan and her husband Shang hadn’t been needed for any major conflicts with the Coalition army, they would be bringing Mulan’s mother and grandmother to the spaceport to pick up her father. In the meantime, the couple passed the time on their day off by listening to Mulan’s family tell hilarious stories from her childhood. As she looked back on her life, Mulan couldn’t help but be amazed at how radically different her life was compared to only eight years ago. A little over half a decade previously, her largest priority was finding a good match and upholding her family’s honor. Now, she and her husband were respected, high ranking soldiers in an army formed in service to an alliance of several vastly different kingdoms and nations. Her father was a highly ranked member of the Coalition’s spy network, and her friends Yao, Ling, and Chen Po had all married the Emperor’s daughters.

She was snapped out of her reminiscence by the ringing of the doorbell (an invention her parents had been fascinated by upon first seeing the more advanced technology of other worlds in the Daybreak Coalition). She immediately sprang up to get the door, smirking when Shang got up a second slower than her, recognized that she was going to reach the front door ahead of him, and chuckled as he sat back down in defeat. Behind her, she heard her mother asking Shang to turn on the television so that she and Grandmother could watch the evening news. Her heart sank in her chest as she opened the door to find Keyblade Masters Terra and Ventus standing at the door in full armor, accompanied by Commander Vanitas, her father’s boss. None of them needed to say anything. Their facial expressions and the news report behind her told her everything she needed to know.

“…The Hellfire Club launched a series of aerial bombardments along the San Fransokyo coast earlier this evening,” she heard the newscaster report from the living room TV screen. “While local law enforcement, C.I.N. operatives, and the Coalition air force repelled the aerial attacks, one Hellfire transport launched a kamikaze strike against the local C.I.N. base on Akuma Island. The facility was demolished in the attack, and every C.I.N. agent stationed on San Fransokyo was killed.” She heard her family gasp in shock while she wordlessly gestured for their visitors to come in, tears welling up in her eyes as it hit her like a speeding train that her father was dead. She didn’t react as she lead the three Keyblade Wielders into the living room and buried herself in her husband’s arms while she heard the trio offer their condolences.

Terra and Ventus did what they could to comfort the older Fa women as her mother burst into tears upon receiving confirmation that her husband was not coming home. Grandmother Fa on the other hand, had wordlessly collapsed into her recliner chair as tears began streaming down her face. Vanitas hung back near the door awkwardly, unsure of what to do. While he had adjusted to living in society as best as he could, his upbringing had never been anywhere close to normal (hard to be by any standard when Xehanort was the closest thing he had to a father figure, and everyone knew what he was like), and so he often found himself wondering what to do in situations like this. There was one thing he did identify with, however.

As Mulan (because of the personal friendships many in the Coalition had with each other, it was generally considered a social custom to refer to people by their name instead of by their titles when they were off duty) sat down on the couch, Vanitas recognized the look she had in her eyes. It was a look that promised terrible retribution against whoever was responsible for her father’s death. Revenge. Now that was something Vanitas could understand. Still, one could lose themselves by focusing too much on revenge. He was about to say something to the young woman when his phone rang. Great, he thought sarcastically as he checked the caller ID. It’s the boss.

“I’m with Fa Zhou’s family right now offering my condolences and helping with the usual funeral arrangements,” he snapped as he answered the call. “This had better be important, director.”

“I apologize for the interruption, Commander,” Cassim answered over the phone. “But the Hellfire Club has launched an attack on Agarabah. They’re only targeting the Cave of Wonders for now but I want to get at least one Key Bearer over there as quickly as possible to handle the situation before they start targeting the civilian population.” Vanitas nodded in understanding. The Genie could keep the city safe under a high-powered Reflezza spell, but he couldn’t hold the shield up forever, and sooner or later the Hellfire Club would find their way around the barrier. Not to mention the fact that even with the technology levels of the Coalition, Agrabah didn’t have the resources to sustain a full-scale siege.

“Understood,” the raven-haired man replied. “Terra and Ventus are with me right now. I’ll pass on the message and make sure they get there as quickly as possible.” With that, he hung up and turned to his companions. Once they were informed of the situation, they quickly raced out of the house and summoned their Keyblade Gliders to fly over to Agrabah. While the Order of the Keyblade was not part of the Coalition military, they still partnered with the different branches of the Coalition’s military and intelligence agency simply because their role as guardians of the worlds required it and they wouldn’t turn down any assistance.

Over time, that relationship had become more symbiotic. Keyblade wielders would help out the Coalition army or the Intelligence Network when it came to taking care of threats both large and small like Maleficent, and the various forces of the Coalition provided the Keyblade Order with a support network when facing down threats on the scale of Xehanort. As Terra and Ven’s gliders vanished from sight, Vanitas when back to helping the Fa family with funeral preparations for Fa Zhou. Once that was done, he was heading back to Twilight Town aboard the Existentialist. He could take a Dark Corridor, but travelling by Gummi Ship would give him the opportunity to take a long overdue nape to refresh his mind and body for the battles ahead.
The Kiln – Conference Room:

“Now that we’re all here,” Maleficent began as she surveyed the small but trusted gathering of her inner circle. “Let’s begin. While we dispatched Malekith and his Dark Elves to search for the missing Infinity Stones in San Fransokyo, the tactics he employed clearly indicate that he has his own agenda that is separate from ours. While we all have slightly different goals we at least agree on the fact that we want to leave people alive so that when we do conquer the worlds we’ll actually have living subjects to rule over. Only Thanos would desire an empire of corpses, yet Malekith seems to be causing as much slaughter as possible. Loki, you’re more familiar with figures of “Norse Mythology.” What do you think of his loyalties?”

“We know from Malekith himself that the Dark Elves began their war with Asgard in retaliation for an attempt at genocide against his people made out of ignorance and prejudice,” the Asgardian prince answered with a concerned frown. “However, what little historical records the scholars of Asgard have on his kind suggests that Malekith’s goal is transform our universe into one of eternal night. While I question the veracity of this given that history is always written by the victors, it does make sense in light of his actions in San Fransokyo.”

“I say we make him walk the plank,” Hook interjected. “Metaphorically speaking, of course. Obviously it’d be bloody next to impossible to kill someone who’s been alive for over ten thousand years just by throwing him into a pit of sharks.”

“Now hold on a minute, James,” Cruella de Vil added as she patted her stomach, where she was carrying her and Hook’s child. “We can’t just kill the Dark Elves now. If we attack them openly we run the risk of them destroying all of their technology. We need to plan this quietly so we can either reverse engineer their warships and weapons or else seize them for ourselves. Besides, from our research, the Aethir was apparently hidden beyond the reach of even the greatest of Asgard’s sorcerers. While they’re probably exaggerating in all likelihood, I have a theory. The Dark Elves were supposedly born from the Darkness at the end of the first Keyblade War. But for all their dark powers, according to Malekith, none have ever actually set foot in the Realm of Darkness itself.”

“And King Bor would have known this,” Diablo finished as he picked up the fashionista’s train of thought. “And found a way to hide the Aethir in the Dark Realm itself. The one place where he knew that the surviving Dark Elves would never be able to reach by themselves. This is only speculation, but nevertheless, we need to make sure that this discussion never leaves this room. Malekith has developed a bit of a fixation on that stone in particular out of all the six. If we can withhold its location from him for as long as possible, we can delay the Dark Elves’ extermination long enough to reverse engineer their technology.” This solution received several nods of approval before all heads at the table differed to the Mistress of All Evil herself to hear her thoughts on the matter.

“I concur with my pet,” the dark fairy stated. “We will withhold the location of the Reality Stone from Malekith while we maneuver him into a position from which we can eliminate him from our ranks. It will need to be swift and subtle. The last thing we need is any of his subordinates escaping and starting a civil war with the rest of the Club. In the meantime, we must carefully dismantle his power base. He’s already attracted a few of our more… bloodthirsty members into his own circle of conspirators. We will need to diminish the amount of contact they have with each other or send them on suicide missions to reduce the chances of tearing our empire apart from within over differing opinions of leadership.”

Her decision made, Maleficent dismissed her advisors and strode from the room towards the sleeping quarters in the prison’s upper levels. Now that the meetings were over, it was time for her to spend time with her family. Hades had taken up the job of watching Lily during meetings that ran into dinner or their daughter’s bedtime. Despite the fact that they were both fugitives living in an abandoned prison jury rigged into a makeshift evil lair/military base, Hades and Maleficent were determined to give their child as normal a childhood as they possibly good. For all the fact that their goals in life were to rule the universe with an iron fist, the two megalomaniacs genuinely cared for their daughter.

Agrabah is only going to be two chapters because I’ve used the plot to King of Thieves back in The Xehanort War, and because we’ve been there enough times already that we really don’t need to spend a lot of time on this visit to the place. And to avoid padding the story with unnecessary chapters and forcing myself to run the plot in circles for a few worlds, I’ve cut out two worlds (Arendelle and Sherwood Forest) to streamline the story and avoid being repetitive with each world’s story. After the Toy Story World will be a Black Cauldron world, and then the story will kick into high gear and move into the second act.

Anyway, plans are afoot. Maleficent and her inner circle are immediately distrustful of Malekith and the Hellfire Club inches closer and closer towards a brutal and bloody civil war (but won’t actually come to blows in this story. I’m saving the payoff for KH5). After focusing on Maleficent and her supporters this chapter, next chapter will introduce some villains who’re part of the pro-Malekith faction of the Hellfire Club. I added some Mades family fluff at the end since we haven’t seen much of either of them since Loki’s prison break and I thought it was long overdue. Hope you all enjoy.

And yes, I paired Captain Hook and Cruella de Vil. I was inspired by a hilarious sketch of the two on DeviantArt depicting Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog as their love child. I laughed so hard I decided to throw it in for fun. No, Cruella and Hook’s kid isn’t going to be anyone important from Disney or Marvel, I just thought it’d be a fun little gag to picture the idea of those two raising a child together.

Yao, Ling, and Chen Po being married to the Emperor’s daughters is a reference to the Direct-to-Video sequel Mulan II. That movie isn’t canon in this story, but I like to give little easter-egg references to different elements of Disney’s DTV sequels even if they’re not part of the continuity of this universe.

Last edited:

Master Exin

Awards
Alright, The Black Cauldron FTW!
BTW, something I forgot to ask is, Diablo's the pet raven, right? I didn't know he could talk.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Master Exin: yes, Diablo is her raven. He can't talk in Sleeping Beauty or KH, but in the live action Maleficent movie he's a quasi-shapeshifter (technically Maleficent just turns him into whatever animal she needs him to be and then back into a raven when he's done), and I incorporated that into the story (although that is just about the only element of that movie I incorporated into this 'verse. I liked the movie as a film, but as an origin story for Maleficent, the Mistress of all Evil, I felt that they could have done a better job on her backstory) with a throwaway line about not giving Pete any info too valuable to risk revealing if he's either caught and interrogated or defects as a way of explaining why we never see him do it in canon.
Chapter 22: Arabian Dream:
Agrabah – The Desert:

“There it is,” Ven called out over the communications link as the two Keyblade Masters flew across the Agrabah desert towards the Cave of Wonders. The it he was referring to in this case was the large Hellfire Club spaceship from San Fransokyo hovering right before the tiger head-shaped entrance to the cave. Given the size of the gargantuan craft, it was very hard to miss. Ven looked over to where Terra was flying beside him atop his own Keyblade Glider and nodded. Nothing more needed to be said as they raced ahead to battle these Dark Elves. A Gummi Ship full of Coalition soldiers was following close behind to provide reinforcements in the coming battle. A few minutes later, the duo landed on the sands at the mouth of the giant sand tiger that served as the entrance of the Cave.

Not wanting to blindly rush in and walk into a trap, they waited the extra two minutes for the Coalition Gummi Ship to land and disgorge the complement of troops. Captain Tidus of Destiny Islands was in command of the unit, and after a quick check to make sure everyone had enough healing items, the group descended into the cave’s labyrinthine depths. Between the two dozen Coalition troops and the two Key bearers, fighting their way through the Heartless that seemed to always pop up inside the Cave of Wonders (Even theorized that the collective greed of those who had perished in the cave over the course of the last several thousand years was strong enough to ensure a steady population of the little demons, but nobody was really inclined to care about such ideas at the moment) was as easy as pie.

Twenty minutes later, they emerged into the cave’s large treasure room at the bottom of the Chasm of Challenges and found themselves confronted by a strange sight. Dark Elves were searching through the heaps and piles of treasure scattered all over the massive room. In the center of the room stood the familiar pale face of Malekith, directing the whole operation. What he was looking for though was a mystery, one which nobody present expected the elf to ever reveal willingly except as a means of psychological warfare to achieve a completely different objective. But Malekith wasn’t alone. By his side stood a figure who was clearly female, but definitely not human.

Her skin was a light blue. Not the deep ocean blue of Master Aqua’s hair, but the lighter blue like the hair of Seymour, a disgraced priest from Destiny Islands who was exiled after he was discovered selling Coalition secrets (specifically military intelligence used in planning the defense of member worlds ranging from weapons specs to patrol routes) to remnants of the Hellfire Club. Point being, the woman’s skin was the same color as Seymour’s hair. Her hair, on the other hand, was as blood red as Lea’s, and that of his father, Reno. She wore what looked to be a loin cloth around her pelvic area with a similar cloth wrapped around her chest. A long, reptilian looking tail flicked back and forth behind her, and her purple-membraned wings were wrapped around her shoulders like a cape.

Deciding to break up the search before the villains found what they were looking for, Terra, Ventus, and Tidus led the charge into the room and began fighting Dark Elves left and right. The element of surprise enabled the group to get in close quick enough that their foes couldn’t bring their black hole grenades to bear in the confined space. Not without risking the death of their leader and the potential destruction of whatever it was they were looking for. While the troops kept each other busy, Tidus, Terra, and Ven went straight for the leaders.

“Your interference was amusing the first time, boy,” Malekith remarked with a calm smirk as the three swordsmen advanced on his position. When they got close enough, he leaped out of the way and opened a Corridor of Darkness with a wave of his hand. “But it is quickly becoming annoying. Demona, dispose of them.”

“With pleasure,” the blue woman, who Terra and the others now recognized as a Gargoyle, answered with a grin that most would be inclined to call sadistic while her apparent superior vanished through the dark portal, presumably back to his ship. Terra and Ventus quickly raced forward to face Demona while Tidus radioed the Coalition naval forces stationed in orbit to commence orbital and aerial bombardment of the Dark Elves’ warship before Malekith could get away. With that pressing issue taken care of, he jumped back into the fray.

The battle itself was fierce but brief. Demona fought like a demon (which was how she’d earned her name in the first place), but none of her moves were threatening enough to two Keyblade Masters in full battle armor who could block and counter her razor sharp claws easily. While gargoyle claws could normally slice through even solid stone, Terra, Aqua, and Ventus had upgraded their armor after making contact with Goliath’s clan, anticipating just this situation where they had to fight a gargoyle allied with Maleficent. Now, Keyblade Armor was strong enough to withstand everything from gargoyle claws to a chainsaw.

The battle finally ended when Demona conceded that she didn’t stand a chance on her own and fled through another Dark Corridor. As she escaped, Tidus radioed in to the fleet to check on the status on the bombing of the spaceship, only to discover that the ship had a built in force field protecting it from all the Coalition fleet’s airstrikes. Then, it had vanished into thin air like a Stealth Sneak Heartless to disguise itself while it took off for parts unknown. With nothing else left to do since the Dark Elves had all escaped through Dark Corridors on their own, Tidus lead the group back up to the mouth of the cave and told the troops to take a few hours to unwind after the battle. While he was off calling his girlfriend Yuna to see if her job with the Intelligence Network would permit her to come visit Agrabah for an hour or two, Terra and Ventus flew off in their Keyblade Gliders to talk to Mickey and Oswald. They needed to figure out what the Hellfire Club was after, and they needed to do it quickly.
The Lanes Between – D.E.S. Nathalis: An hour later;

“This could be a problem,” Seymour remarked as he looked at the report Malekith had received from his spies on the world of Saint Canard. The informants the Elven king had placed throughout the worlds of the Daybreak Coalition gave the Dark Elf king an advance warning system for when the Coalition tried to bring the hammer down on the Hellfire Club, but they also kept him appraised of what was happening. And it would seem that now they had some further competition in the form of this “Legion.” What this group’s goals were and what they hoped to achieve, but either way, they were most certainly an obstacle in his quest to plunge the universe back into eternal night.

“One more human or a thousand makes no difference,” Demona remarked. “They’ll all die regardless.” After the rest of her clan was slaughtered and the survivors cursed to sleep in stone, she’d lashed out, blaming humanity for the slaughter of her kind. While humans did deserve some blame for their crimes against the Gargoyle race, Demona’s actions ended up being what provoked the humans in the first place. The Wyvern Massacre, as it later came to be known, was only possible because Demona had tried to lure her clan out of the castle so that they would be unable to return by day and the humans who had belittled and insulted them would be long gone and lead away in chains by the time the clan returned.

Unfortunately, her mate, Goliath, had insisted on the rest of the clan stay behind at the castle and went out himself with Hudson to harry the Vikings who were planning to attack the castle while they were still farther away. Demona tried to get the rest of the clan out, but unfortunately only she had survived. From there, she had set her own rogue clan, and they eventually formed a tenuous alliance with Macbeth, the rightful king of Scotland in his fight to claim his rightful place on the throne. From there, things had been peaceful, until Macbeth’s rule was challenged by Canmore, the son of his cousin Duncan, who he’d taken the throne from. Macbeth’s advisors attempted to convince him that Canmore’s English allies would leave them alone if they severed all ties with the gargoyles.

Demona had overheard the conversation and realized that even if Macbeth dismissed the possibility now, it was only a matter of time before he decided that his alliance with her kind was not worth the effort to maintain. So she and her clan broke away first. In the battle against Canmore’s forces that followed, Macbeth (and Demona who attempted to kill Macbeth herself for his perceived betrayal) discovered that he and the Gargoyle woman were immortal unless one of them killed the other. From there, Demona spent the next millennium covertly accumulating power and influence for herself as knowledge of her race faded away into human myth and legend. Then, eight years ago, she had been contacted by Malekith with an offer she couldn’t resist.

“True, Lady Demona,” Algrim interjected. “But this particular group, and based on what our spies have reported they are entirely comprised of humans, could be a serious threat to the achievement of our objectives. Until we know what exactly we are dealing with, we must treat cautiously.” That was what Malekith valued about his second-in-command. He stated the facts and kept a realistic view of what was achievable under the circumstances. Some villains would have preferred sycophants who sucked up to their superior’s every order and idea. But one thing that Maleficent and Malekith had in common despite their ideological differences was that they preferred having advisors who were willful enough to keep them grounded and remind them when an idea was idiotic or simply couldn’t be achieved.

“And when combatting a poison such as humanity, it is best to understand what makes your enemy tick before striking in order to eliminate the plague entirely,” the Gargoyle added as she conceded the Dark Elf’s point. Having been alive for over a thousand years, Demona was an expert in the art of stealth and war. Despite her burning hatred for humankind, she had survived long enough to know not to underestimate your foes, and made her plans accordingly. Through the company Nightstone Unlimited that she’d set up decades ago, Malekith and his conspirators had eyes and ears from New York City on Earth to Radiant Garden itself. Malekith turned from where he stood gazing out the window into space and turned to face his inner circle of rebels.

“And I have discovered an artifact that will aid us in our investigation of The Legion,” the Dark Elf king remarked. “On a nearby world which is fairly new to Coalition rule is an artifact that can produce an army of undead warriors. Since we do not know what this Legion is capable of, I propose that we acquire this Black Cauldron and use the warriors it conjures as cannon fodder to probe the defenses of the next Legion base we can find. They must have a hidden compound somewhere, and sending waves of expendable meat shields at their forces will allow us to monitor how they fight and learn how to protect ourselves should we ever come into open conflict with them.”

Demona, Algrim, and Seymour nodded their agreement at the elf’s plan as Algrim relayed orders to the Nathalis’ Helmsman to set their course for the world of Pyrdain. Their circle of conspirators was small, and most of them weren’t even present aboard the ship at the moment. While most of them had been recruited by Maleficent or Hades, ultimately their loyalty lay with Malekith. Each and every member of his inner circle had thrown their lot in with his planned coup attempt because they all had the same thing in mind. They didn’t want to simply rule the universe, they wanted to extinguish it.

Rejoice, fellow Gargoyles fans. Demona has arrived. She’s not going to be a major player in terms of the overall conflict but I figured that because of the fates of their species, Demona would be a likely ally for Malekith, and decided to throw her in there. There will be a bit of a subplot for the Gargoyles once Goliath learns what his mate has done and what she’s become, but she’s not going to take center stage as a major villain. And speaking of villains, the Legion will be showing up on the Black Cauldron world as well in an attempt to destroy the cauldron before the Hellfire Club can get their hands on it.

Demona’s backstory is a slightly distorted version of her backstory from the show. And by distorted, I’m referring to the fact that one of her defining character trains is a pathological inability to admit responsibility for her actions. Sure, the way most humans treat Gargoyles in the series makes her attitude towards mankind understandable, but flashbacks pretty much show that Demona is her own worst enemy. Her actions only cause more problems for the Gargoyle race, and she can’t bring herself to accept that, so she projects the blame onto the human race at large rather than face the consequences of her decisions. Which is why the explanation of her backstory is tinted towards her point of view while also acknowledging most of what really happened.

And yes, I did decide to throw in Maester Seymour from Final Fantasy X. I felt that we needed some more Final Fantasy characters introduced in this story. It’s fun to fight Sephiroth, but in future KH games, we need more Final Fantasy villains. Seymour felt like a good start because he has similar “destroy everything” goals to Malekith and Xehanort, and would fit right in as a semi-major/minor member of Malekith’s inner circle. And people have presumably been trying to find a way to include Reno in Kingdom Hearts fanfics for a while, so I thought that since Tetsuya Nomura definitively stated that despite the similarities, Lea IS NOT Reno, I thought that making Reno Lea’s dad would make sense as a way to include both in the setting while also explaining the similarities.

Tidus being a soldier in the coalition army made sense to me given his role as Yuna’s Guardian (basically bodyguard in all but name) in Final Fantasy X. And yes, he and Yuna are together in this universe. That was part of my motivation for explaining how Yuna, Rikku, and Paine were all so small in KH2. I started playing FFX while planning this story and my heart immediately melted at those two together.

That’s right people, after the Toy Story world comes The Black Cauldron. After that, our heroes are literally going nowhere (Marvel Cinematic Universe reference for those who didn’t figure that out) for the conclusion of the first half of the story. The Toy Story world is going to be a bit of a breather episode for the sake of Sora, Donald, and Goofy going on a lighthearted adventure just like old times before we get neck deep in the action and drama of the rest of the story. Every Kingdom Hearts game needs a breather level/world that’s disconnected from the overall plot to give players (and the characters) a chance to blow off steam from the emotional moments of the story.

Speaking of which, I’ve come up with an interesting way of incorporating the Toy Story world into the KH verse even though all the Tethered worlds have been un-tethered at this point in time. If you’re familiar with Kingdom Hearts games previously, you’ll have a bit of an idea as to how that’ll work. I leave it to you to figure out what that is.

KeybladeOrder

Awards
Dialogue for the second half of this chapter taken from Toy Story 2.
Chapter 23: World Of Toys:
Radiant Garden – Spaceport:

Kairi greeted the trio at the spaceport with a hug for all of them and a kiss on the lips for Sora. After Donald teasingly remarked for them to “get a room” the couple broke apart and blushed profusely. Some things never changed. Once Donald and Goofy’s laughter died down, she grilled them all on what had they’d found and brought them up to speed on what they’d missed. She was greatly disturbed by what the Legion had done in Saint Canard, and they were mortified by the tragedy in San Fransokyo. To change the subject to less depressing matters, Sora suggested that they all take a short vacation for the day.

“We don’t have any urgent sightings from the Hellfire Club or the Legion right now, and we’ve got enough Keyblade Wielders to cover for us so we can all take some time off,” he explained. “And besides, when’s the last time we all had a day to ourselves without having stuff to deal with?” Everyone agreed and together they boarded the train that would take them from Radiant Garden’s spaceport, carved into the mountains outside the city, all the way back to the town gates. Sora and Kairi sat next to each other on the train, arms wrapped around each other and her head on his shoulder.

Thirty minutes later, they exited the train and climbed the stairs from the underground station up into the city’s Lower Market. From there, they discussed what to do with their time off over a light lunch at one of the cafes. Since there weren’t any festivals or other community events on any of the nearby worlds at the moment, Kairi suggested going to the library to visit Pooh and the others in the 100 Acre Wood. The idea was met with unanimous approval, and once they’d finished their meal, the foursome made their way up to the castle library. When they arrived, they found that the book had been moved. Upon asking the librarian on duty, they found that Ienzo (who had gone into the book as a child following the deaths of his parents) had borrowed it.

Since they couldn’t visit Pooh and the gang, inspiration struck, and Sora suggested the possibility that there were other worlds within books hidden among the shelves of the Hollow Bastion library. Kairi liked the idea, and the group split up as they searched the book cases to see what they could find. And hour later, they were all gathered around the L shelf, having already searched all of the other shelves and finding nothing. They were about to call of the search and go find something else to do when Sora pulled a book titled “Toy Story” off the shelf. Intrigued, the young man pulled the book open, only for a blinding white light to envelope the room. When it faded, Sora and Donald, who had been standing right next to him when he’d opened the book, had vanished, evidently inside the book itself. Figuring that the two of them were bound to get in trouble together if left unsupervised, Kairi and Goofy checked their gear just in case and leaped in after them.
World of Toys – Neighborhood Sidewalk:

Kairi shook her head as her vision cleared from the flash of being transported inside the book’s world. Next to her, Goofy was climbing unsteadily to his feet. Once they had both regained their senses, she took a moment to examine their surroundings. The first thing she noticed was that Sora and Donald were nowhere to be seen. The second thing she noticed was that she and Goofy had shrunk to a small fraction of their normal size. From where they were standing, the house they’d landed in front of looked like it was the size of a mountain, and the mailbox across the lawn appeared from their perspective to be the size of a two-story building. Any further observations about their environment were cut off when they heard a rustling sound coming from the bushes to their right.

The two of them were about to pull out their weapons and prepare for battle when they saw what looked like some kind of astronaut action figure dart out of the bushes and crouch behind a mailbox. After looking to see if the coast was clear, the space man stuck his arm out and waved, indicating for someone to come forward. That someone turned out to be a plastic dinosaur attempting to camouflage itself in leaves, followed by a piggy bank, a plastic dog with a spring in the middle, and what appeared to be a potato with arms, legs, and a face. As the princess and the captain of the guard crept through the yard of the house they’d landed, the pig tripped and spilled coins all over the sidewalk.

“Alright,” they heard him exclaim. “Nobody look ‘til I get my cork back in.”

“Good work men,” the astronaut called back. “We’re two blocks down, only nineteen more to go!” Startled exclamations and groans immediately followed this outburst, and Kairi deduced from the complaints that it had taken them a while just to travel two blocks. “Come on fellas,” the space man urged his companions. “Did Woody give up when Sid had me strapped to a rocket? No. And did he give up when you threw him out of the back of that moving van? No he didn’t. We have a friend in need. And we will not rest until he’s safe in Andy’s room. Now let’s move out!” Kairi decided that now would be a good time for her and Goofy to make their presence known so they could ask for directions or see if any of them had seen Sora and Donald.

The toys were surprised to see them and were both confused and amazed a “how lifelike they looked,” clearly mistaking the duo for other toys wandering the neighborhood. Since the whole “keeping the worlds separate” rule wasn’t in effect anymore, and because people apparently didn’t know that toys were alive in this world, she and Goofy decided on the truth. The astronaut, Buzz Lightyear, was skeptical, as apparently some toys who were fresh out of the box like Buzz didn’t realize that they were toys. A few Blizzaga and Magnega spells quickly shot down that misunderstanding before it could get entrenched in the toys’ plastic heads. Once everyone was convinced that she and Goofy were telling the group, they shared stories as they walked to get to know each other more. Kairi and Goofy were amazed by a world where toys came to life, and the toys were amazed by the fact that there were other worlds out there with genuine magic.

Apparently Woody, a cowboy doll belonging to their owner, Andy, had been stolen after attempting to rescue a friend from a yard sale. He’d been a family heirloom for years, and normally got taken along to summer camp with Andy, but a torn arm meant that he’d had to stay home for the summer. Anyway, Buzz and the other toys had identified the thief as the owner of a local toy store, and the gang was making their way to the store in the hopes of rescuing Woody before Andy returned home from summer camp. The toys were all amazed that Kairi was an actual princess, and she easily got along with Rex, the dinosaur. Goofy instantly befriended Slinky, the dog. Sora would probably make friends with Woody and Buzz easily, Kairi thought to herself as the group made their way through the darkened streets. Not to mention, Donald, Hamm, and Mr. Potato Head would definitely get along like a house on fire.

The group trekked all through the night, taking only a couple hours so that Kairi and Goofy could nap along the way. Their shield and Keyblade were put to good use throughout the night facing down pests from cockroaches to rats that the group came across. As they walked through the dark, their way lit by the moon above and street lamps nearby, Kairi couldn’t help but worry about where Sora and Donald had ended up. Given the fact that they had likely been shrunk like she and Goofy had, they could be anywhere in this world, and even if Sora and Donald used the gate often found in storybook worlds and left the book, he’d have no way of knowing where she was. She pushed those thoughts out of her mind as the sun rose the next morning and they walked along the side of the street next to a white concrete wall.

“Hey Buzz,” Hamm called out as they exited the bushes and trudged exhaustedly towards an opening in the shrubbery that led further down the road. “Can we slow down? May I remind you that some of us are carrying over six dollars in change?”

“Losing health units,” Rex gasped drearily. “Must rest.”

“Is everyone present and accounted for?” Buzz inquired as he did a headcount to make sure nobody had fallen behind.

“Not quite everyone,” Potato Head answered.

“Whose behind?” Buzz asked.

“Mine,” Slinky replied as his back half slowly toddled up behind him. Despite their fatigue, Kairi and Goofy couldn’t help but laugh at the unintentional humor in the springy dog’s comment.

“Hey guys,” Hamm shouted. “Why do the toys cross the road?”

“Not now, Hamm,” Buzz remarked tiredly as the group walked towards the opening in the bushes where the piggy bank was waiting.

“Oh!” Rex exclaimed obliviously. “I love riddles. Why?”

“To get to the chicken on the other side!” the pig responded with a laugh as they all stood facing the large building across the street with the words “Al’s Toy Barn” on the roof with a giant chicken statue in front of the store. This must be it, Kairi realized as she and Goofy leaned against the brick wall at the back of the group and caught their breath. Their friend is in there. Now if only we can just figure out what happened to Sora and Donald. Although knowing how easily those two can get into trouble, we'll probably just have to follow the trail of confusion and chaos.

“Yay!” Rex hollered as everyone else broke out in cheers. “The chicken!” Their celebration was cut short as they witnessed a rapidly moving stream of cars and busses bang and crush a can of soda lying in the road before knocking it to the curb in front of the group of toys.

“Oh well,” the plastic T-Rex continued with a deadpan tone as he turned around and prepared to leave. “We tried.” As much as she wanted to help, Kairi couldn’t help but agree that crossing this road was extremely dangerous. We need to find another way, she thought to herself. Maybe we can find a crosswalk somewhere, or I could use a Zero Graviza spell to float us across. Unfortunately, Buzz, as the unofficial team leader, appeared to believe that the simple yet dangerous approach was the most effective.

“We’ll have to cross,” the space ranger stated matter-of-factly while grabbing Rex’s tail with one hand. As she looked further up and down the road, Kairi noted that despite the presence of a traffic light, there were no crosswalks to be found within a reasonable distance.

“You’re not turning me into a mashed potato!” Mr. Potato Head protested as everyone around him gasped in surprise.
“I may not be a smart dog, but I know what roadkill is,” Slinky added.

“There has to be a safe way to cross,” Buzz explained. Kairi and Goofy voiced their agreement, but questioned how they were going to cross the street when there were no crosswalks. Goofy spotted some traffic cones further up the road. Since the humans in this world didn’t know that toys were alive, Buzz decided that they could use the cones for cover. Realizing that they couldn’t cross the road fast enough on foot to avoid causing traffic accidents, Kairi offered to use the Collission Magnet spell that Aqua had taught her in order to throw everyone across to the other side, leaving only Goofy and herself to cross over with the cones.

The plan went along smoothly, and while Kairi was busy flinging the toys across the street to the Al’s Toy Barn parking lot, Goofy discovered a pair of disused roller skates left abandoned in the bushes. Once the light turned red, she and Goofy, under the cover of two traffic cones, rolled across the pavement towards the other side using the roller skates like miniature skateboards. They made it across just as the light turned green and the morning traffic came rushing through. With the group all together again, they headed inside the store. With any luck, they could find Woody and figure out where Sora and Donald had ended up.

For a Toy Story world, I figured that Toy Story 2 would be the ideal place for the Kingdom Hearts cast to come into the TS story, as Toy Story 3 would be too emotional for a Breather Episode while Toy Story 1 I felt wouldn’t have many opportunities to explain how the KH cast got into the plot. Having them join up with the gang while they’re making their way to Al’s Toy Barn made the most sense to me as an insertion point. And we will be seeing Sora and Donald again next chapter. No prizes for guessing where they ended up. And yes, the Toy Story book being on the L shelf is a shout out to John Lasseter, director of the first 2 Toy Story movies and without who Pixar likely wouldn’t be where it is today.
I hope everyone likes having the Toy Story world be inside a storybook like the 100 Acre Wood. Because having it be a Tethered World would be a big continuity error with the interquels I’ve written, I figured that this explanation made the most sense. I reworked the road crossing scene because I figured that Kairi and Goofy would have found a way to get everyone across without causing a major traffic jam. I know some of you probably feel that the toys accepted that Kairi and Goofy were telling the truth too easily, but none of the toys in the TS universe are capable of Kingdom Hearts-style magic, there’s really no other way to explain it, so they just dealt with it. They’re fascinated by other worlds and magic, and they will be pestering Donald, Goofy, Sora, and Kairi with questions throughout the next chapter (or two, depending on how long the next chapter goes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back