• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3's Critical Mode will be arriving tomorrow!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura has just posted on Twitter that Kingdom Hearts 3's long-awaited Critical Mode will be arriving tomorrow in a free update!

In an interview with Gamereactor, Kingdom Hearts 3 co-director Tai Yasue discussed how Critical Mode will be adding new abilities and also modifying AI behaviors to give players a new, engaging experience with Kingdom Hearts 3. 

"So like I mentioned earlier, we adjusted a lot of the gameplay and we set out to create a new experience. Like creating new abilities for example. They are sort of oriented towards the technical side so people good at action games and know the exact timing on when to guard or do a counter, abilities are targeted toward that sort of gameplay."

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With YouKingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross]Kingdom Hearts III and all things Kingdom Hearts

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I’m over halfway through Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations and have the Assassin’s Creed Odyssey DLC to play, as well as some other games but now they expect me to drop it all to play Critical Mode for KH3!?!?

They right. I will do that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I LITERALLY just jumped back into FFXIV since it is free for awhile and was blazing through the base story AND NOW THIS HAPPENS?

It was nice to play FFXIV for two days, I guess...

drew0512

Awards
I'm so excited even though I'm waiting for the future DLC to play it again, especially because I have yet to finish my level 1 run.

Okay who am I kidding, bring it on!

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
The sudden news is quite the surprise and I'm excited to see what the differences are!

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Looks like there'll be another sort of Endgame these days.
Let's see what this will amount to.

I’m over halfway through Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

Omg have fun with what I deem to be the best PW game (despite the fact that I just started the series a while ago and have only played the first three myself)

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Looks like there'll be another sort of Endgame these days.
Let's see what this will amount to.

Omg have fun with what I deem to be the best PW game (despite the fact that I just started the series a while ago and have only played the first three myself)
Haha, I’ve played the trilogy before on iOS and 3DS but the third case is one I have not played a lot of so it's nice to revisit and relive it. And trophies are a fantastic incentive to do so.

Now, how about trophies for Critical Mode please Tai Yasue.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
I’m almost finished with my second run of a level 1 proud playthrough (which is actually really fun as long as you make use of Keyblade upgrades and food). I’m really exited to see what kind of changes were made.

NoWay

Awards
I finished my first play through (normal mode) like 2 days ago and was nearly starting proud mode. Well, now I won’t touch proud mode. :D

How many hours does “tomorrow (PT)” mean?

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I finished my first play through (normal mode) like 2 days ago and was nearly starting proud mode. Well, now I won’t touch proud mode. :D

We don't know. It's coming sometime on the 24th in Japan, which is just over 21 hours away and the two should drop around the same time.

But all we have to go off is "tomorrow".

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

They didn’t specify a time because PSN and Microsoft don’t have set times to update their store (at least PlayStation is like that) so they will go up whenever they go up.

We will let people know when they are available on each store, though.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
They didn’t specify a time because PSN and Microsoft don’t have set times to update their store (at least PlayStation is like that) so they will go up whenever they go up.

We will let people know when they are available on each store, though.
Well, if it was something that was delivered via the store and not a patch, I would confidently say "at midnight in your local region excluding the United States because they withhold updating their store until like 9 hours after midnight on the West side of the country."

...... Now I wish this was an update from the PSN because that would mean I can set it up to download while I'm at work (though I can't play because I was stupid and got a ticket to see Endgame at 12pm tomorrow (and spoil y'all while I'm at it hehehe))

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I respect Square Enix genuinely taking their time to fine-tune this critical mode. I wonder which bosses are going to have the most significant shift in difficulty?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Haha, I’ve played the trilogy before on iOS and 3DS but the third case is one I have not played a lot of so it's nice to revisit and relive it. And trophies are a fantastic incentive to do so.

Now, how about trophies for Critical Mode please Tai Yasue.

Oh okay, have a fun re-run then!

Trophies sound cool. If possible, I'd like for them to keep up the chess-themed trophies and use them for something more than just "defeat x Heartless".
"King" might not be a bad trophy for either finishing on Crit or whatever the definitive DLC might be.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Gotta admit I'm surprised, because I already wasn't expect anything this month.
I'm curious to see how the reception will be.

Regardless, next time I hope they actually make Proud mode hard. If they are worried about newcomers, that's what beginner mode is for.

Back