• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3: The Novel, Vol 3: Remind Me Again cover revealed

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards
It also gives readers a chance to see what the author might think is going in a character’s head
True.
It helps to give context to some scenes that didn’t quite make sense when shown in the game.

In KH3, for instance, a lot of people were confused by Riku’s extreme reaction to Mickey saying that “Aqua is like Sora”. The novel clarifies that his reaction was because he interpreted it to mean “Aqua is a person who always has her head in the clouds, just like Sora”.

toniostarke

Awards
Well, like the manga, it’s a different take on the games. Plus in the early novels, there are some events that are rearranged or merged together, like Sora reuniting with Riku during the second Guard Armor boss fight in KH1. It also gives readers a chance to see what the author might think is going in a character’s head, and in some cases, include scenes not in the original games, like Axel briefly training during Dream Drop Distance.
Ah I see, I see. Just exploring more things that just kinda happen in the games? Ok, I can get that. Well let me know if the novels better explain the shit that happens at the end of the games or how Sora learned to run up 90 degree walls. Stuff like that Nobody dimension at the end of 2 and Sora time traveling and ALL that Re:mind kerfuffle still have me too confused too think about it for too long.
True.
It helps to give context to some scenes that didn’t quite make sense when shown in the game.

In KH3, for instance, a lot of people were confused by Riku’s extreme reaction to Mickey saying that “Aqua is like Sora”. The novel clarifies that his reaction was because he interpreted it to mean “Aqua is a person who always has her head in the clouds, just like Sora”.
Do the novels go explain how riku walked out of that heartless attack with a haircut and how the Kingdom Key of Darkness gets "damaged"?
Or even where keyblade come from since Yen Sid just happened to have two spares on hand when these dorks broke theirs.
I know its petty to even ask, but Nomura does an awful job of introducing these changes, hopefully somone explained them a bit better

Last edited:

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Do the novels go explain how riku walked out of that heartless attack with a haircut and how the Kingdom Key of Darkness gets "damaged"?
Or even where keyblade come from since Yen Sid just happened to have two spares on hand when these dorks broke theirs.
I know its petty to even ask, but Nomura does an awful job of introducing these changes, hopefully somone explained them a bit better
Honestly I think that was just a line to explain why you can level up Keyblades in the game. I’m not sure how the Kingdom Key D got damaged (or if it even did), but I think in-story Mickey just figured ’better safe than sorry’ after seeing Way to Dawn get broken.

WaltK

Awards
Honestly I think that was just a line to explain why you can level up Keyblades in the game. I’m not sure how the Kingdom Key D got damaged (or if it even did), but I think in-story Mickey just figured ’better safe than sorry’ after seeing Way to Dawn get broken.
Think he means Riku’s Way to Dawn, in which case it was just said that the heartless in the RoD were stronger than they expected and that they should have powered up their Keyblades more before they came.

Nicolas

Awards
I just wanna say that anyone that hesitates on whether to read the novels or not, should read them, they're amazing! The first one is a bit ropey but from CoM on the books are really great!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I just wanna say that anyone that hesitates on whether to read the novels or not, should read them, they're amazing! The first one is a bit ropey but from CoM on the books are really great!

Yeah, the early one was weak, but I also think it was because Kanemaki was coming off of writing a BL novel and was really doing her best to make a good impression with Disney and SE without inserting too much of her own flair into it.

WaltK

Awards
One of the weirdest/poorly handled moments I remember from the first novel was the scene with Sora and Kairi’s old cave drawings.

For some reason, Kanemaki just skips over that part near the beginning where Sora finds the drawings and adds the paopu fruit, but then incorporates it during the ending when Kairi finds them, with Kairi randomly seeing a vision/manifestation of Sora drawing on the wall, like in the games ending cinematic, only taken way too literally.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
It can also have it's own plotline. Like in the KH2 Novels we spend a lot of time with Riku, Naminé and Axel. A lot of it being things that could have taken place in some form when KH2 came out.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
One of the weirdest/poorly handled moments I remember from the first novel was the scene with Sora and Kairi’s old cave drawings.

For some reason, Kanemaki just skips over that part near the beginning where Sora finds the drawings and adds the paopu fruit, but then incorporates it during the ending when Kairi finds them, with Kairi randomly seeing a vision/manifestation of Sora drawing on the wall, like in the games ending cinematic, only taken way too literally.

I think this mostly played into the fact that Kanemaki was very clearly not a fan of Sora and Kairi's relationship xD She's warmed up to it over the years, but those early novels were absolutely her avoiding it when she could.

WaltK

Awards
I think this mostly played into the fact that Kanemaki was very clearly not a fan of Sora and Kairi's relationship xD She's warmed up to it over the years, but those early novels were absolutely her avoiding it when she could.
Understandable, but her method makes zero sense. If you’re going to put it in at all, why not both of the times it shows up? Especially so the later reference makes sense lol

Nicolas

Awards
Understandable, but her method makes zero sense. If you’re going to put it in at all, why not both of the times it shows up? Especially so the later reference makes sense lol
Little things like that are why the first book really isn't that great. But man, does she make up for it in the later novels. Chain of Memories is so amazing (especially the extra story on Riku Replica) and the extra stuff in Kingdom Hearts 2 is really fascinating, especially what happens with Kairi and Namine is explained so much better. I love too that Axel helped Goofy back up after the 'death', which explains why Goofy is so trusting towards Axel afterwards.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I just played through Monstropolis again and thought to myself "why are they surprised / scared by being monsters, they've been in Halloween town before" 🤷‍♂️
Maybe they found their Monstropolis transformation to be scarier? Beats me.

Nicolas

Awards
I hope they announce another novel soon that covers Union X or even Dark Road, with an epilogue chapter that contains the Melody of Memory stuff. I'm craving more!

Back