• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts 3 release plan

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
No, it's really too bad, the hole they've dug for themselves. Years of prolonging, side games, prequels, small sequels. Now we're looking it re-releases as well; it's going to be more years. Kingdom Hearts III might not even be in development yet. I don't think it's going to be developed within the next two years for a 2015 release, either.

I might as well just face the facts. I'm not getting any younger. Soon I'm going to be at a point where I just won't care about this game anymore. And I'm likely going to be at that age before Kingdom Hearts III even comes out. I was six when I played Kingdom Hearts. Like, ten, when I played Kingdom Hearts II. I'm probably going to be twenty something when I play KH3.

It's hard enough to maintain an audience in the modern gaming world of DUDEBROS and casual gamers, who only want to shoot things, but when you're pretty much waiting for your target demographic to GROW UP, and no longer become INTERESTED in your game series, and you expect your title to sell? I already estimate that Kingdom Hearts III will sell even less than Kingdom Hearts II, which sold less than Kingdom Hearts I.

Age has abolutely nothing to do with caring about something or not. I started the KH series only in 2004 with KH 1 when I was 18 already, not to mention Nomura repeatedly stated that KH has no specific target demographic.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I might as well just face the facts. I'm not getting any younger. Soon I'm going to be at a point where I just won't care about this game anymore. And I'm likely going to be at that age before Kingdom Hearts III even comes out. I was six when I played Kingdom Hearts. Like, ten, when I played Kingdom Hearts II. I'm probably going to be twenty something when I play KH3.
I'm already 20 something and I still play KH.

It's hard enough to maintain an audience in the modern gaming world of DUDEBROS and casual gamers, who only want to shoot things, but when you're pretty much waiting for your target demographic to GROW UP, and no longer become INTERESTED in your game series, and you expect your title to sell? I already estimate that Kingdom Hearts III will sell even less than Kingdom Hearts II, which sold less than Kingdom Hearts I.
Good thing Nomura isn't catering to "dudebros" or even trying to market his games to them.

I mean, it's unfortunate you feel that way though it's understandable. A lot of fans see KH3 as the only true next installment and look at all of the other games with contempt or as if they're not equal just because they weren't released on a home console. Which is sad because I think a lot of the portable titles were a hell of a lot better in terms of story than KH2 was.

I have no doubt that KH3 will sell on name alone because of everyone who has been waiting for it.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I'm 20, and I'm still an avid gamer, period. Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, Pokemon. I'll never be too old for those. Video games aren't just for kids: hell, M for Mature rating is supposed to be 17+ in age. I look forward to every installment in Kingdom Hearts, I don't view Days or Birth By Sleep as being inferior to KH1 or 2. As a matter of fact, I prefer subtitles to numbered sequels anyway. Sticking a number on it instead of giving it it's own true identity is actually kinda lazy in my opinion. :/ Besides, with all the extra stuff added to the plot in the "spinoff" "side" games, KH3 is setting up to be far better than KH2 was imho. It will be better now than it would have been if they had gone ahead and made 3 just to cater to fans whims (I'm positive that's why KH2's plot felt rushed: because it was. They made it quickly to appease the outcry for it.) I'm perfectly fine with them taking as long as they please. Especially if we're getting brilliant games like BBS and DDD in the meantime. :)

raycat27_2003

Awards
I'm almost 30 and I still love this series. I don't care if there are 100 games before KH3 ever comes out, I'm still gonna buy them.

Antisoul

Yeaahh haha.. I started KH when I was 10.. almost 21 and still going strong (actually bought a few handheld systems to play the spin offs..). Even if it takes them forever and a day to release KH3, I will definitely be ready for it when it gets here! Some games are just worth the wait, and half the time I don't mind waiting to begin with.. I'm extremely patient, so waiting a few years for a game doesn't really bother me lol Besides, I have other things to do than get all wrapped up in, "IT'S TAKING TOO LONG!!" Like play other games xD (Or start a new file on Skyrim, that will do the trick!)

Two years, three years, or seven years like Versus 13, I'll wait as long as we have to :p

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
No, it's really too bad, the hole they've dug for themselves. Years of prolonging, side games, prequels, small sequels. Now we're looking it re-releases as well; it's going to be more years. Kingdom Hearts III might not even be in development yet. I don't think it's going to be developed within the next two years for a 2015 release, either.

I don't get you... Lots of us KH fans are now in our twenties and we still love the series, just look around on this forum. Age really doesn't matter like others have pointed out, you like what you like no matter how old you are. So hat makes you think you'll just stop caring?
Also they might be working on the HD collections but not the whole team is working on KH1.5 and making a port and a HD remaster doesn't require as much work as making an new game so it's not impossible that we'll get a 2015/16 release.

I actually see the releases of the HD collections as a good move even if it "pushes" KH3's release back, it's a good way to get old back and new fan into the series. Also a lot of people stayed interested in the series or even got into the series because of these "side games", prequel and small sequels, so I'd imagine the game would sale about just as good as KH2 did.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
lol besides the hd remakes aren't whole new games. They're just improving the graphics a bit, adding a few minor changes, and some extra cutscenes. That's not taking them a lot of time. KH3 is probably being worked on as we speak.
I think that they said that it's already been in development of over a year. So for this one it took them about a year and a half. Now that we know that there are HD collections coming, and that they haven't started on 2.5 it might seem like longer for us.
Of course, they could always just get extra people from Osaka to help, but then they would be a few people short on their secret projects :)

Edit:
Nomura: We’d had plans to do a HD remake for quite a while. Since even before we decided to do theFinal Fantasy X HD remake, actually.
FFXHD was announced December 2011 I believe. So yeah, they've had these plans for over a year now.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I already estimate that Kingdom Hearts III will sell even less than Kingdom Hearts II, which sold less than Kingdom Hearts I.

Honestly, as others have said, this is highly unlikely. The whole reason for this HD collection is to get fans who forgot about the series or who couldn't afford buying every system to fully understand the story while providing newer fans who don't know about the series or who don't have a system that can play PS2 games to get into it.

Kingdom Hearts 3 will sell enough the day it is released purely because of the hype. Even if the game wasn't all that great in the end it will do amazing because people who forgot about the series will finally want what they've been waiting for so long for and new fans will not understand why people went crazy when it is announced (trust me, the day it is announced, the internet WILL go crazy with Kingdom Hearts news)

I actually see the releases of the HD collections as a good move even if it "pushes" KH3's release back, it's a good way to get old back and new fan into the series. Also a lot of people stayed interested in the series or even got into the series because of these "side games", prequel and small sequels, so I'd imagine the game would sale about just as good as KH2 did.

Exactly, KH at this point is way to complicated to only play KH1 and KH2 and expect to understand what will happen in KH3, even if you try to infer what happens by playing the beginning. These HD collection remedy that in every way possible ^_^

VLR.XIII

Assuming that there is another team that is doing pre-lim work on KHIII already, it should be easy for the team to develop the game since they have more people, time and experience. So late 2015(again, being hopeful).

I've said it on here before, but I reckon Versus is the groundwork for KHIII.

They'll use the same engine for both, it would be foolish of them not to.

WielderOfHeart

What I think is, they'll release KH 1.5, which is really the English version of KH Final Mix, this year and possibly a few minor graphic changes and possibly some unseen content. (even by the people in Japan who got the exclusive version). I could see them testing the capabilities of new worlds on the PS3 system if what Nomura said is true "I will release the game on this generation's system." Just so we can get a whole new experience in KH3. Also, seeing as there was a "Final Mix" version made for KH2, and birth by sleep. we may be waiting until 2015 if they decide to remake those two on the console (PS3). But this means our wait won't be for nothing, this game will be truely epic just watch and keep faith in the series my fellow fans.

EDIT: On another topic, I first played this game at quite a young age. I then stopped playing and began to move on to other series, but for some reason I couldn't get a thought out of my head of the game, or a very vague reminder whenever watching a Disney movie. 2 years ago I found the game again, first thing I did was go out and buy the first two games. I loved them both and I still do, infact; I keep pestering my dad to send me my psp + my other Kingdom Hearts games while I'm at my step-dad's house over the summer to this very day, I'll keep waiting for KH3 because this series and it's meanings has taught me alot, if their is more to learn I will gladly wait.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
What I think is, they'll release KH 1.5, which is really the English version of KH Final Mix

English version of KH1 WITH updated graphics, KH Re:CoM, trophy support, and all of Days remade into 2 hours and 50 minutes of cutscenes...KH1FM is only 1/3 of the game <_<

Also, seeing as there was a "Final Mix" version made for KH2, and birth by sleep. we may be waiting until 2015 if they decide to remake those two on the console (PS3). But this means our wait won't be for nothing, this game will be truely epic just watch and keep faith in the series my fellow fans.

It is highly prophesized here that KH2.5 (which is inevitable) will contain KH2FM, BbSFM, and then Re:Coded and possibly DDD in cutscene format so it is more than likely that 2015 or 2016 the latest will see the release of Kingdom Hearts 3 ^_^

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Yeah especially since these are remasters and not full on remakes, and bbs fm won't need new voice acting outside secret episode.

And they might've started already. This guy is operating under the assumption that no work has been done yet.

edit: I'm 22 and I haven't stopped caring about KH, often to my pain from haters. I don't obsess over the series either but I still enjoy it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back