• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts 3 Presentation from Epic Games' "State of Unreal" Keynote at GDC 2019

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

On March 20th, Epic Games held their annual "State of Unreal" keynote at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Special guests were in attendance to speak about how they utilized the Unreal Engine in their latest projects, including KINGDOM HEARTS 3 Co-Director Tai Yasue. He delivered a brief presentation, showing off behind-the-scenes footage of using Unreal Engine 4 to bring game design concepts to life and create unique graphics for different worlds.

Watch the full State of Unreal keynote on the official Unreal Engine Youtube channel.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDD

Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts 3 Presentation from Epic Games' "State of Unreal" Keynote at GDC 2019

What, you guys are interested in the tech behind the game or impressed with Yasue's English?:tongue:

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Re: Kingdom Hearts 3 Presentation from Epic Games' "State of Unreal" Keynote at GDC 2019

Honestly, I have never seen an interview with him before, so I had no idea that his English was so good! He's a little awkward and fumbles his words a lot when he talks, but hey, I do that too because of my speech impediment, so I've pretty much got the same grasp on English as he does!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yasue is a native English speaker having been born and raised in Canada, so it’s very uncomfortable to see y’all focus on his English skills rather than the presentation.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

this thread: "wow this canadian can speak english good"

I think he was a bit flustered because he was rushed, having to match his speech to the visuals and a small time slot. It's a shame they didn't end up doing a bigger panel where they could talk more freely about developing the game. It was really interesting to see the in-progress and debug rooms like how the height of athletic run works or the way Rapunzel's hair responds to geometry. It was also neat seeing how the effects and particles look and the cloud + water systems they made. I wish the presentation was longer so we could see more.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

I love this kinda stuff. Too bad it was so short.

CDD

Awards

this thread: "wow this canadian can speak english good"

I think he was a bit flustered because he was rushed, having to match his speech to the visuals and a small time slot. It's a shame they didn't end up doing a bigger panel where they could talk more freely about developing the game. It was really interesting to see the in-progress and debug rooms like how the height of athletic run works or the way Rapunzel's hair responds to geometry. It was also neat seeing how the effects and particles look and the cloud + water systems they made. I wish the presentation was longer so we could see more.

It's obviously me and the other guy had no idea where he was from, and I've only seen him give interviews at Japanese events... in Japanese. But yeah, pretend to be uncomfortable.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It's obviously me and the other guy had no idea where he was from, and I've only seen him give interviews at Japanese events... in Japanese. But yeah, pretend to be uncomfortable.

The point is that you wouldn’t want somebody pointing out how great your native language skills are if you speak it nativey, and that the presentation is of more value than the shock of somebody speaking a widely-spoken language.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Considering how dumb people can be I wonder if there's anyone out there thinking we're denied playable Disney characters just 'cause Rapunzel was being moved around?

The point is that you wouldn’t want somebody pointing out how great your native language skills are if you speak it nativey, and that the presentation is of more value than the shock of somebody speaking a widely-spoken language.
Boot consydur ho sum nateev enlgas speekers cun barley speek eet leek eet sum forun langrage sumthymes. lol

CDD got rude at the end there, but I'd say it's a perfectly normal reaction to express surprised at someone's English if you didn't know they spoke it.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Considering how dumb people can be I wonder if there's anyone out there thinking we're denied playable Disney characters just 'cause Rapunzel was being moved around?

I saw some of those comments during the livestream, so yes there are people who think this. Also some people were confused about the debug room and all I really wanted in that moment was for there to be a longer KH panel where they could discuss this kind of stuff more to educate fans on how development works lol

Boot consydur ho sum nateev enlgas speekers cun barley speek eet leek eet sum forun langrage sumthymes. lol

CDD got rude at the end there, but I'd say it's a perfectly normal reaction to be surprised at someone's English if you didn't know they spoke it.

Oh lord that’s so true

I suppose I’m letting a few things get to me. Every time Yasue speaks English, this tends to be the discussion and it’s been this way for ten years so I guess I’m just tired of it being brought up.

I let it rest. You are very right.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Dude, I've been disappointed that we can't play as Disney characters since KH1.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

I saw some of those comments during the livestream, so yes there are people who think this. Also some people were confused about the debug room and all I really wanted in that moment was for there to be a longer KH panel where they could discuss this kind of stuff more to educate fans on how development works lol
*facepalms*

And like okay, I can understand non-gamers seeing that and being confused, but I'd expect people who'd be watching this type of thing to know what that is. Although I should know better at this point. *laughs*

I suppose I’m letting a few things get to me. Every time Yasue speaks English, this tends to be the discussion and it’s been this way for ten years so I guess I’m just tired of it being brought up.
I can be amazingly unaware sometimes and this'd be one of those cases. Had no idea about this until now.

I let it rest. You are very right.
iH0C9oM.gif

Dude, I've been disappointed that we can't play as Disney characters since KH1.
At least we can fight as Mickey if we lose in certain KH2 battles, and we can play as him, Donald, and Goofy in Days' Mission Mode! :D Hahaha haha...haa... ... *cries*

Back