• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3 Nomura Interview with Edge-Online!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienator11

Thank you so much man, I've seen a whole bunch of final mix secret endings but I have never seen that, I've only seen up to the part where you fight the red eyes guy and thats all

crash13

Awards
I'm surprised there ins't any KH merch at Epcot's Japan section. They have a bunch of other Japanese game stuff there, but nothing Kingdom Hearts.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I sure hope so! I'm so tired of the only KH merch being the same Hot Topic shirts that've been out since the release of KH2, and the special stuff you can find on the internet. Having even a small shop in a Disney park would be incredible. The only KH merchandise I saw in the entirety of Disneyworld was a copy of Birth By Sleep in the videogame section at one of the parks. That's it. I might have seen Re:coded and some of the PS2 games as well. Can't remember. But that's it. It was sad, really.

Wow, I've actually never seen a physical copy of any of the games in the park, only keychains, Hot Topic stuff, and the pins (which are made extremely well). When KH first came out they used to have a whole wall filled with the Mirage toys:

150.jpg

but they didn't sell too well which is why Disney gave up early on with KH. Finding those figures nowadays is actually really hard since KH now has a dedicated fanbase so it's sad that Disney is so uncertain nowadays when KH is much more popular.

I'm surprised there ins't any KH merch at Epcot's Japan section. They have a bunch of other Japanese game stuff there, but nothing Kingdom Hearts.

The most I've seen are the Play Arts figures but they actually have more Final Fantasy ones I find than KH ones...IDK why.

crash13

Awards
I know I've seen the games at Hollywood Studios because I bout 358 there. For sure saw Re:CoM and BBS.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Am I the only one that thinks the opening question was kind of rude?
It was an interesting interview, but I wish it had focused on the games a little more and less on the Expo.

I'm kind of scared what a social game version of KH will look like. Though I guess KH:X is kind of already going in that direction.

I don't want to see the main storyline to be put on so many platforms again either, it's too messy and time consuming. Well, it's not like we didn't get a small title focus of both those groups, but, I don't think rebuilding their lives are enough, more likely it will still connect to the main story only wouldn't it be better to have new characters involved? It'd be more interesting if we could see Master Xehanort, Yen Sid and Eraqus time together. Or other keyblade wielders besides Sora and Riku.

Personally I wouldn't want the spin-offs to introduce a new keyblade wielder nor do I really want a game focusing on MY, YS and Eraqus' past sure it would be interesting to a degree, but I'm not that interested in their past. I'd prefer them focusing on some of the characters they've introduced so far, especially the characters that haven't gotten much spotlight yet, like Kairi, Xion or Ven.

I don't think we have to worry about Nomura throwing in a bunch of handheld games after KH3 is released it's to big of a headache to deal with. I do however think the Home console+ Handheld game method is a good strategy having the handheld game act as a bridge in between the main numbered entries the prime example would be KH:COM. To me that's the perfect way to do these things and using the bridge games to high light other side characters (although the KH roster is incredibly huge and grows bigger each game) and gives them a chance in the spotlight.

In fact I think having the hand held series focusing on TAV as a whole would be a pretty interesting concept to pursue.

I don't think them releasing multiple games on handhelds is such a bad thing. Especially if they give both TAV and RAX their own series. I'd love it, if BBS became an actual series that always mainly focused on Aqua and her friends, but also included the others to a certain degree. That way they could tell multiple intertwined stories that could stand alone but also compliment each other.

If they don't make series that focus of the others "main characters", then I'd prefer it, if they keep it to a bridge game, like you mentioned.

Actually, it's looking likely. I didn't know how much Disney was behind KH honestly since after KH1, Disney looked like they gave up on KH from a profit standpoint and just had it because it didn't do poorly by any means and was cool.

However, as I've said recently many times lol, Disney has been reintroducing KH merchandise into the parks. First with the limited edition Kingdom Hearts pin that came out 2 years back (which sold out so fast and now sells for well over $60) and then last year they released a few keychains (that were from Hot Topic, but still KH) and a new open edition Mickey pin in his organization coat.

The biggest step forward is easily the KH panel at this year's D23 in Japan. While it may be in Japan, Disney is letting KH take up a whole part of their convention and their very first one in Japan albeit that.

According to cast members at the park, Disney has been slowly introducing more KH merchandise as of late. While I doubt KH will ever get its own section or its own store, it's very likely that we may one day see a small section of a store dedicated to KH at the parks and that's all I can ask for ^_^

What D23 about? I never really heard of it until recently.

I love that it seems like they're finally warming up to KH. I think it would be great if they incorporated KH a little more. Maybe even Kairi and Xehanort make guess appearance in their Princess and Villains line-up. Considering that they're planing on including Marvel and Star Wars into their parks, I guess KH being included at some point isn't impossible.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Am I the only one that thinks the opening question was kind of rude?
It was an interesting interview, but I wish it had focused on the games a little more and less on the Expo.

No, definitely not.

Eh, in the end you have to realize that there are only so many questions that he would answer and that no one else already asked.

I'm kind of scared what a social game version of KH will look like. Though I guess KH:X is kind of already going in that direction.

If we're judging by KHx, it's definitely nothing to be afraid of.

Personally I wouldn't want the spin-offs to introduce a new keyblade wielder nor do I really want a game focusing on MY, YS and Eraqus' past sure it would be interesting to a degree, but I'm not that interested in their past. I'd prefer them focusing on some of the characters they've introduced so far, especially the characters that haven't gotten much spotlight yet, like Kairi, Xion or Ven.

You know, when they brought up Disney's requested spinoffs, I was under the assumption that they asked for cheap irrelevant games with the KH label slapped on. By putting "Kingdom Hearts" in the title, no matter what it is, it'll sell. I doubt they cared at all about the convoluted story going on for the past 11 years.

What D23 about? I never really heard of it until recently.

It's an event that takes place for the fans basically. Of course there's also one in August down in Anaheim, but that's more about the brands and the actors and the not-games. This is Japan's first D23 Expo, where not only will they be revealing new information about the series and KH3, but also Shinji Hashimoto and various voice actors will be attending.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Eh, in the end you have to realize that there are only so many questions that he would answer and that no one else already asked.
I guess that's true.

If we're judging by KHx, it's definitely nothing to be afraid of.

You know, when they brought up Disney's requested spinoffs, I was under the assumption that they asked for cheap irrelevant games with the KH label slapped on. By putting "Kingdom Hearts" in the title, no matter what it is, it'll sell. I doubt they cared at all about the convoluted story going on for the past 11 years.

Yeah, KHx might be pretty good, but we still haven't seen much of it so it's too early to tell.

I don't know, Disney's pretty good with managing their properties and keeping a certain image. I don't think they'd want to risk a somewhat popular series by just throwing in some crappy cheap games that have the KH name on it. Then again Kingdom Hearts v Cast was a thing...

It's an event that takes place for the fans basically. Of course there's also one in August down in Anaheim, but that's more about the brands and the actors and the not-games. This is Japan's first D23 Expo, where not only will they be revealing new information about the series and KH3, but also Shinji Hashimoto and various voice actors will be attending.

Okay that sounds pretty cool. I'm guessing the two events are being organized by two completely different parts of the company.

Santiago

KINGDOM HEARTS AT DISNEYWORLD!
Destiny Island. It can happen.

I'm surprised Nomura didn't come to the conclusion that he would be at the Sony conference based off of the fact that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 was advertised at the end of the trailer. It'd be pretty silly for Microsoft to have advertised a PS3 exclusive game at their conference.

crash13

Awards
Destiny Island. It can happen.

I'm surprised Nomura didn't come to the conclusion that he would be at the Sony conference based off of the fact that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 was advertised at the end of the trailer. It'd be pretty silly for Microsoft to have advertised a PS3 exclusive game at their conference.

They probably would have cut that out. We know they can just cut stuff, redo things like the version without the system logos vs the one with them.

kupo1121

Awards
I don't think them releasing multiple games on handhelds is such a bad thing. Especially if they give both TAV and RAX their own series. I'd love it, if BBS became an actual series that always mainly focused on Aqua and her friends, but also included the others to a certain degree. That way they could tell multiple intertwined stories that could stand alone but also compliment each other.

I would love if they gave Aqua her own sideseries but I cannot see it happening. While Aqua is definitely one of the more popular KH characters to date, KH was always Sora's story as Nomura said, if he started to make whole series based off of other characters, it would seem less like just Sora's story.

I love that it seems like they're finally warming up to KH. I think it would be great if they incorporated KH a little more. Maybe even Kairi and Xehanort make guess appearance in their Princess and Villains line-up. Considering that they're planing on including Marvel and Star Wars into their parks, I guess KH being included at some point isn't impossible.

The Star Wars and Marvel fanbases far outclass the KH one in terms of size and popularity. Star Wars and Marvel aren't even thing Disney has the "take even a small chance on" since both are guaranteed to be big sellers among boys, a demographic Disney really wants to focus on as of recent (Cars, Planes, Power Rangers, etc.) considering they have the girl demographic in the bag with their princesses.

They would never ally Xehanort with their official Disney villains either considering they have yet to ally some of their more well known villains with the main line either like Mother Gothel, easily one of the most popular and famous villains to come out of Disney in the last few years.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I would love if they gave Aqua her own sideseries but I cannot see it happening. While Aqua is definitely one of the more popular KH characters to date, KH was always Sora's story as Nomura said, if he started to make whole series based off of other characters, it would seem less like just Sora's story.

Well, it could still be part of Sora's story even if it doesn't star him but Aqua. Her story would just have to tie in with Sora's.

The Star Wars and Marvel fanbases far outclass the KH one in terms of size and popularity. Star Wars and Marvel aren't even thing Disney has the "take even a small chance on" since both are guaranteed to be big sellers among boys, a demographic Disney really wants to focus on as of recent (Cars, Planes, Power Rangers, etc.) considering they have the girl demographic in the bag with their princesses.

They would never ally Xehanort with their official Disney villains either considering they have yet to ally some of their more well known villains with the main line either like Mother Gothel, easily one of the most popular and famous villains to come out of Disney in the last few years.

Well yeah, but they've also been around for way longer than KH has. Though I guess they also appeal to a wider range of people and right now it's a no brainier that they'll most likely be successful. But I wouldn't rule out the chance that someday KH could become big enough that they'd give it some presence in their parks.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't included Mother Gothel, she was actually a good villain.

kupo1121

Awards
Well, it could still be part of Sora's story even if it doesn't star him but Aqua. Her story would just have to tie in with Sora's.

Having to maintain a whole game series based off a separate character (Aqua) while keeping it entirely connected to Sora would eventually get very hard since everything in the end would have to connect to him and the story would suffer since it could be its own story. Not to mention, Aqua is one of the least sora-connected characters out of the protagonists so far. It would be much easier making a series off of Riku, Kairi, Roxas, Xion, or Ven connected to Sora since they all share a very strong bond with Sora.

Well yeah, but they've also been around for way longer than KH has. Though I guess they also appeal to a wider range of people and right now it's a no brainier that they'll most likely be successful. But I wouldn't rule out the chance that someday KH could become big enough that they'd give it some presence in their parks.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't included Mother Gothel, she was actually a good villain.

Star Wars and Marvel had cult followings within a decade after they were out, very few video games have that big of a following (though some do) and I don't think KH is one of them. Don't get me wrong, I love KH, but I really cannot see Disney reserving a whole section of the park for the game since I doubt it'll ever compare, even 2 decades down the road. It's been a whole decade already and while KH has a strong fanbase, it pales in comparison to either Marvel or Star Wars.

As for Mother Gothel, I'm sure she'll be included sooner or later, she and King Candy I believe were 2 villains that were done very well. I really hope they don't just use Mother Gothel for a Tangled-inspired world and then never revisit her. If Maleficent has any plans of building a second League of Villains, I think Gothel and King Candy are prime candidates (along with Skull King, Dr. Facilier, Madame Mim, and possibly Elsa from Frozen depending on how she turns out).

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Having to maintain a whole game series based off a separate character (Aqua) while keeping it entirely connected to Sora would eventually get very hard since everything in the end would have to connect to him and the story would suffer since it could be its own story. Not to mention, Aqua is one of the least sora-connected characters out of the protagonists so far. It would be much easier making a series off of Riku, Kairi, Roxas, Xion, or Ven connected to Sora since they all share a very strong bond with Sora.

Well that's true, still it would be nice if she would get more games. It would be great to see a character like her get some limelight.

Star Wars and Marvel had cult followings within a decade after they were out, very few video games have that big of a following (though some do) and I don't think KH is one of them. Don't get me wrong, I love KH, but I really cannot see Disney reserving a whole section of the park for the game since I doubt it'll ever compare, even 2 decades down the road. It's been a whole decade already and while KH has a strong fanbase, it pales in comparison to either Marvel or Star Wars.

As for Mother Gothel, I'm sure she'll be included sooner or later, she and King Candy I believe were 2 villains that were done very well. I really hope they don't just use Mother Gothel for a Tangled-inspired world and then never revisit her. If Maleficent has any plans of building a second League of Villains, I think Gothel and King Candy are prime candidates (along with Skull King, Dr. Facilier, Madame Mim, and possibly Elsa from Frozen depending on how she turns out).

I guess that's true. I'd be happy if they'd at least acknowledge it a little more and do more with it.

I think mother Gothel would make an interesting Villain though I guess she would need to summon heartless to fight seeing she doesn't really have any special abilities that I can recall.
I would love a Madame Mim boss fight, it could be so creative and fun.

kupo1121

Awards
Well that's true, still it would be nice if she would get more games. It would be great to see a character like her get some limelight.

Considering Aqua is definitely one of the breakout stars of BbS (she is definitely among one of the most popular original KH characters ever) I and many other fans would probably agree that she needs more attention. I know I'm not the only one, but that's the whole reason I was very disappointed that BbSv2 never came to fruition, because anymore time playing as Aqua would have been welcomed.

I think mother Gothel would make an interesting Villain though I guess she would need to summon heartless to fight seeing she doesn't really have any special abilities that I can recall.
I would love a Madame Mim boss fight, it could be so creative and fun.

She could control the heartless, but remember that she is very manipulative. I'd love to see her actually manipulate SDG as she pleases before finding out she's evil at the end. I mean, sure the player knows she is evil, but remember how she played so coy in Tangled and was able to manipulate the Stabbington brothers, the old man, and Rapunzel herself for 18 years. I think it would be very interesting if SDG arrive in a Tangled-world, see her getting attacked (of course it would all be staged) and rescued her and then a whole portion of the world involves you protecting her trying to hunt down Flynn or something who "stole" Rapunzel from her.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Considering Aqua is definitely one of the breakout stars of BbS (she is definitely among one of the most popular original KH characters ever) I and many other fans would probably agree that she needs more attention. I know I'm not the only one, but that's the whole reason I was very disappointed that BbSv2 never came to fruition, because anymore time playing as Aqua would have been welcomed.

I'd also like her to get a more prominent role, seeing we haven't had such a strong female character in the series before and I'd hate it if she'd just disappear into the background.
Personally I think BbSv2 is still a possibility, maybe they could use it as a bridge between sagas tying both this and the next together. Showing events that happened within the Seekers of Darkness Saga that would eventually lead into the next one. Also I just want to know what the scenes with Riku and Kairi in Twilight Town meant...

She could control the heartless, but remember that she is very manipulative. I'd love to see her actually manipulate SDG as she pleases before finding out she's evil at the end. I mean, sure the player knows she is evil, but remember how she played so coy in Tangled and was able to manipulate the Stabbington brothers, the old man, and Rapunzel herself for 18 years. I think it would be very interesting if SDG arrive in a Tangled-world, see her getting attacked (of course it would all be staged) and rescued her and then a whole portion of the world involves you protecting her trying to hunt down Flynn or something who "stole" Rapunzel from her.

That would definitely be an interesting story and different from what we've got in most other worlds so far. Also knowing SDG they'd be to gullible not to fall for it. Mother Gothel definitely is good at manipulating people, especially if she can use guilt against them. On another note the Stabbington brothers would also make for an interesting mini-boss fight.

kupo1121

Awards
I'd also like her to get a more prominent role, seeing we haven't had such a strong female character in the series before and I'd hate it if she'd just disappear into the background.
Personally I think BbSv2 is still a possibility, maybe they could use it as a bridge between sagas tying both this and the next together. Showing events that happened within the Seekers of Darkness Saga that would eventually lead into the next one. Also I just want to know what the scenes with Riku and Kairi in Twilight Town meant...

The thing I don't like about BbSv2 being the bridge between this saga and the next is just that...I don't want there to be a bridge. KH3 is great because it officially ends the Seeker of Darkness Chronicles and all things related to Xehanort. For those fans who want to drop KH after KH3, they can, knowing that everything is completely wrapped up that happened up to KH3. If BbSv2 took place during the SoD Chronicles, but extended into the new saga, it would make it very difficult to make it seem like the new saga is completely independent of the SoD Chronicles since it technically started there.

That would definitely be an interesting story and different from what we've got in most other worlds so far. Also knowing SDG they'd be to gullible not to fall for it. Mother Gothel definitely is good at manipulating people, especially if she can use guilt against them. On another note the Stabbington brothers would also make for an interesting mini-boss fight.

I agree about the Stabbington Brothers, in my mind, I thought that maybe after Gothel is disposed of and you start teaming up with Flynn (or Rapunzel), the Stabbington Brothers would hijack you in an attempt to steal the crown or get back at Flynn.

That or after Gothel is discovered to be evil, she could use the Stabbington Brothers to fight for her.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
The thing I don't like about BbSv2 being the bridge between this saga and the next is just that...I don't want there to be a bridge. KH3 is great because it officially ends the Seeker of Darkness Chronicles and all things related to Xehanort. For those fans who want to drop KH after KH3, they can, knowing that everything is completely wrapped up that happened up to KH3. If BbSv2 took place during the SoD Chronicles, but extended into the new saga, it would make it very difficult to make it seem like the new saga is completely independent of the SoD Chronicles since it technically started there.

While I kind of get that I personally prefer there to be some link. I just don't like it when they pull what they do in shonen mangas so often, where you beat one opponent and suddenly a stronger more threatening one shows up without ever being foreshadowed.
Also I'd think of this game as more a way to wrap up some more lose ends while bringing up new questions for the new saga. You wouldn't have to see the new threat just feel it's presence, if that makes any sense.

I agree about the Stabbington Brothers, in my mind, I thought that maybe after Gothel is disposed of and you start teaming up with Flynn (or Rapunzel), the Stabbington Brothers would hijack you in an attempt to steal the crown or get back at Flynn.

That or after Gothel is discovered to be evil, she could use the Stabbington Brothers to fight for her.

I think it's more likely that once SDG notice she's evil, she'd call them and we'd have a 3 on 3 battle.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
There has to be a bridge in one way or another anyways since it continues to be mainly Sora's story which will also likely mean that many characters connected to Sora will be carried over. Nomura also explained that he has a plot in his mind that takes place after the Xehanort-chronicles, so it won't be suddenly an alternate universe nor would the happenings of the first saga suddenly be put totally under wraps.
That would not only be unlogical but also undo all the character development which each character had during the saga.

Ot let me quote it with Gandalfs words from LotR:
"The battle for Helm's Deep is over, but the battle for Middle-Earth has just begun."

"Helm's Deep" in this analogy standing for the whole conflict with Xehanort.

kupo1121

Awards
I think it's more likely that once SDG notice she's evil, she'd call them and we'd have a 3 on 3 battle.

I think the concept of a 3 on 3 battle sounds awesome, but a really good 3 on 3, not the minions like Lock, Shock, and Barrel or Shenzi, Bonzai, and Ed. However, which one of the 3 (SDG) is honestly gonna beat up on Gothel??? I can't see anything of them hitting her haha

There has to be a bridge in one way or another anyways since it continues to be mainly Sora's story which will also likely mean that many characters connected to Sora will be carried over. Nomura also explained that he has a plot in his mind that takes place after the Xehanort-chronicles, so it won't be suddenly an alternate universe nor would the happenings of the first saga suddenly be put totally under wraps.
That would not only be unlogical but also undo all the character development which each character had during the saga.

Ot let me quote it with Gandalfs words from LotR:
"The battle for Helm's Deep is over, but the battle for Middle-Earth has just begun."

"Helm's Deep" in this analogy standing for the whole conflict with Xehanort.

The characters being a bridge is obvious, but I was thinking more a long the lines of what if after Xehanort was done, a few years passed with no conflict (not many since we don't want everyone getting TOO old) and then another enemy rose up. The new plot doesn't have to develop from within the Xehanort saga, that's kind of what I mean.

However, I will admit, that Gandalf quote at the end sounds really cool since that would make it seem like the whole Xehanort saga was just a piece of cake compared to what's about to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back