• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KINGDOM HEARTS 2.8 Off Screen Gameplay from TGS 2016

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Which translates in English roughly to "Lightblades" or "Blades of Light" respectively.

This translation is actually somewhat odd in comparison as the German variant not only completely omits the "wing" parts (the six swords do form a set of "wings" visually after all) the term itself also puts emphasis on the "light" rather than the blades.
While you're right, I don't even know what they could've used instead of Klingenlicht. "Flügelklinge"? (crack-translation) Does that even sound good?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Which translates in English roughly to "Lightblades" or "Blades of Light" respectively.

This translation is actually somewhat odd in comparison as the German variant not only completely omits the "wing" parts (the six swords do form a set of "wings" visually after all) the term itself also puts emphasis on the "light" rather than the blades.

I'm actually okay with the light-part, but I don't get why they cut the wing part either.

JR199913

Bronze Member
Awards
Klingenlicht .
Thanks.

In general Ventus uses more Light in his fighting style. It's indeed odd though. But it's not as if the "wings" are the main factor in this command style. It's only supposed to represent wings, it's not as if Ventus flies around once he uses it. And if you would look at it for the first time without knowing it's name, you would notice the Blade shapes and the fact that it's made out of Light before the fact that it's supposed to represent wings. I can see why they named it "Blades of Light".
While you're right, I don't even know what they could've used instead of Klingenlicht. "Flügelklinge"? (crack-translation) Does that even sound good?
Hmh, you tell us. You're the one who might have played with it.
I'm actually okay with the light-part, but I don't get why they cut the wing part either.
Might have gotten a bit long? "Wing Blades of Light"?

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Isn't there even little white feathers floating down when Ven does the finisher of that moveset? It feels like the wing part was kinda important.

I also feel like that fits Ventus very well since he is the only on the trio in BBS who learns glide. And his name meaning wind also fits with the wind theme.

Muke

whatever
Awards

Might have gotten a bit long? "Wing Blades of Light"?
No, the translation would be long. We can only guess what they could've used ("Flügelklinge", "Flügelschweif", etc.)
I don't mind Klingenlicht, though.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

"Flügelklinge" would be a direct literal translation of "Wingblade" but it obviously does not sound that good in German when spoken.

A possible compromise would be "Schwingenklinge(n)", but the arguably best sounding German variant would have been simply "Lichtklinge(n)" as "Klingenlicht" in itself may also be read as "a single light shaped like a blade" which doesn't really describe the technique.

When reading "Klingenllcht" one may also think of "Teelicht" (tea light in English), that little candle situated in a small cup of metal. ;P

It would have been too long to fit into the HUD, technically you could say "Lichtschwingenklinge" or "Lichtflügelklinge" (which means both "Lightwingblade" in English and that way include everything the ability is about but that is still longer than "Ars Velocitatis" which is arguably the longest term in the German Translation.

As JR199913 says though, the blades forming wings, while symbolic, is strictly spoken not the central point of the ability as the actual core parts of it are blades of light. In that vein the German translation, although a little bumpy, actually describes it more to the point.

It would be a difference if the blades being arranged like wings would actually allow Ventus to float/fly over the ground while the style is active, but he keeps moving on foot making the whole thing symbolic.

Isn't there even little white feathers floating down when Ven does the finisher of that moveset? It feels like the wing part was kinda important.

I also feel like that fits Ventus very well since he is the only on the trio in BBS who learns glide. And his name meaning wind also fits with the wind theme.

Feathers can also be a symbol of both wind and light (angelic symbolism) and as such represent Ventus' two primary elements.

A "wing" (that isn't demonic/bat-like) can thus be a symbol of both the elements wind (birds, using air to fly) and light (angels, feathers).

Overall the "wing"-theme certainly fits overall with Ventus as a whole but as said above, the German translators apparently found it more important to actually describe what the actual ability is primary about (blades made of light) rather than the way they are arranged on Ven's back.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I love how this turned into "why do the germans translate stuff so weirdly" just like that.

I don't really see anything literal sound good in german, neither Flügelklinge nor Klingenflug or anything else. I suppose that's what they thought as well and decided to go with something that at least kinda has the style's theme in it.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Well, as I said, I don't mind Klingenlicht at all. It's probably just what Void said above^

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Yeah, plus it refers to his element of wind.

Feathers can also be a symbol of both wind and light (angelic symbolism) and as such represent Ventus' two primary elements.

A "wing" (that isn't demonic/bat-like) can thus be a symbol of both the elements wind (birds, using air to fly) and light (angels, feathers).

Overall the "wing"-theme certainly fits overall with Ventus as a whole but as said above, the German translators apparently found it more important to actually describe what the actual ability is primary about (blades made of light) rather than the way they are arranged on Ven's back.

Aah, right. I forgot that the white feather/wing could also tie into holiness, light and etc... I guess it`s also a callback to Ven`s heart being full of light. Explains why the blades are made from that element.

I remember a little while back there was this interview with Yause where he described the things what the team thinks when they are creating a new play style:

The Kingdom Hearts series has seen a number of different Keyblade wielders throughout the years. When trying to create unique gameplay for each of them, Yasue explains the easy concept they've applied, where they focus on certain keywords that can define the character in both story and gameplay. Aqua, who is protagonist of 0.2, is related to water, skilled with magic, and is strong and elegant. They incorporate these keywords into her movement and abilities, creating a character that uses powerful magic in a flashy manner.

So I guess in Ven´s case the themes would be wind/light, speed and agility etc... and in Terra`s case earth/rock, brute power and etc...
Seeing Aqua ride the icy line while looking fabulous, I think they got those themes right. There is also something really interesting in her break time(and movement overall) in BBS. Ven showcases his speed, Terra his power and Aqua elegantly moves around her keyblade, like some gymnast or magician. *now imagines Aqua in a black top hat, black suit and pants, performing magic tricks.*

EDIT:

Psst, the PS Access footage Chaser mentioned is now on YoutTube:

[video=youtube;bJ0cB9m1lTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ0cB9m1lTE[/video]

I watched a little bit and like Spock said when she played the demo, the hits really have weight behind them and enemies get stunned. That makes me really happy! That was one of the things that worried me a bit but I don´t have to anymore! I also love how smoothly the finishers and magic connects to combos, and you can even do Aquas finisher on the air now. I think in BBS it forces you to the ground when you activate a finisher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back