• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHiRanks: Star Wars Episodes I-VII

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
As a few of you may have heard, the KHiRestoration Committee has begun a new series of threads, which for for the time being will be posted in FI. A number of us will get together each time, and rank a certain set of items in order from best to worst, debating and screaming at each other every time. After we all have set our personal ranks, a cumulative list is put together based on each individual list for what we deem may or may not be a semi-solid ranking of whatever it is we choose.

For the first installment of KHiRanks, we decided to rank the first 7 Star Wars movies. Our results, from best to worst, are as follows.

1. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
2. Episode VII: The Force Awakens
3. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
4. Episode IV: A New Hope
5. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
6. Episode I: The Phantom Menace
7. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

This list does not represent any individual opinion, but the opinion of multiple forum members. If you wish to participate in a future KHiRanks, go ahead and join our club here and watch for when we schedule our next session. The event is open to all club members.

Feel free to debate with us and tell us why our final results are wrong.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
That's actually a list I pretty much agree with entirely. I think I would put Force Awakens third though, and Return of the Jedi second. I do love VII, but I feel Return of the Jedi was a movie I truly preferred.

A lot of debate tends to go between my friends and I on which movie is the worst, and it's always between Attack of the Clones and The Phantom Menace. I am in the Attack of the Clones field. It's the movie I find just absolutely woeful.

One of my friends does put it this way though. Phantom Menace is a bad movie. Tragically bad. Whereas Attack of the Clones is also a bad movie, albeit hilariously bad. The scenes with Anakin are so cringe inducing, but they're still so funny to watch. However, I just can't stomach the movie.

Griewer

Awards
You all completely lost me the moment you put 7 in the second place. I still can't believe how people actually like a film that copied most of its plot (like 99%) from the previous episodes and reused the same content. I'm a big Star Wars fan but honestly what JJ did was just simply disgusting. I wouldn't even rank episode 7 because I just can't accept the fact that it actually happened. It's more like a bad dream that doesn't end. :'DD
But oh well I've already accepted the fact that I'll never see eye to eye with the Star Wars fans :'D

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Honestly VII is my favorite Star Wars movie so far. it did recycle a lot of elements but JJ had big shoes to fill.

Griewer

Awards
Honestly VII is my favorite Star Wars movie so far. it did recycle a lot of elements but JJ had big shoes to fill.

Well he failed miserably and honestly it is not that difficult to fill those shoes. Look at Rogue One - one of the best Star Wars movies I've seen. It brought the nostalgia people wanted so badly but was able to remain fresh and new. The only difference is the fact that they decided to actually write a story and create characters who weren't one-dimensional.
Ah nevermind, I'm just really angry with JJ and Disney. I'll never forgive them for doing this. Episode 7 was the worst movie experience I had. I'm really hoping that whoever is the director for ep. 8 will make amends. <_<

I'll just stop here because I could continue bashing this movie until the end of time. :'D

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You all completely lost me the moment you put 7 in the second place. I still can't believe how people actually like a film that copied most of its plot (like 99%) from the previous episodes and reused the same content. I'm a big Star Wars fan but honestly what JJ did was just simply disgusting. I wouldn't even rank episode 7 because I just can't accept the fact that it actually happened. It's more like a bad dream that doesn't end. :'DD
But oh well I've already accepted the fact that I'll never see eye to eye with the Star Wars fans :'D

It is upsetting VII copied story beats from previous SW films, but it did exactly what it needed to do: Episode VII introduced Star Wars to a new generation of fans and proved to old fans that the franchise could still capture the essence of what the original trilogy was.

It's not a perfect film, but essentially brought Star Wars back into the minds of people who had given up on the franchise or didn't even care that it existed rather than it slowly losing importance in popular culture. I think that alone makes it at least part of the top 4 films in the franchise in any objective list.

I can't speak about Rogue One since I've yet to see it, but I figure both it and Episode VIII will eventually beat Episode VII in popularity but for now VII will likely dominate any list of best SW films.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
  1. Return of the Jedi
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. A New Hope/ Rogue One
  4. Revenge of the Sith
  5. Force Awakens
  6. Phantom Menace
  7. Attack of the Clones

ROTJ to me embodied everything I loved about Star Wars and it has my favorite space battle in the whole series. When I was young ESB blew my mind with the Battle of Hoth and of course the revelation at Cloud City. ANH and R1 just hits me the right way and they work amazing together so I can't rank one over the other.

Now while I don't love the prequels I have to give credit where credit is due. George is amazing world builder, with an untapped imagination. The prequels were a mess but they were more original. After the 4th viewing I started rolling my eyes at some of the things that happened in TFA.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I would place Force Awakens lower on the list. It's a good film, but it's unoriginality didn't catch with me. I would also place Revenge of the Sith higher in the list, as I think it's an underrated film.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
VII
V
IV
III
I
II

my list. The first two prequels are completely terrible but I has the badass darth mail fight. III is a barely passable movie and every part of anakin's cross over to the dark side is more stupid than terra, who was pmuch based off of lil ol annie.

IV is good but dated, VI could have been the best but they spend half of the movie with the ewoks and it is so bad but the scenes with Luke as a Jedi knight are so awesome. V has no flaws to me, I think they really caught their stride there but I wasn't blown away because I knew the plot by heart before even watching it (thanks pop culture!)

VII was just incredible to me for so many reasons. Rey was an awesome protagonist because she basically learned how to survive and adapt on her own, a lot of people argue that she was too good but The Force ex machina'd it's way through basically every movie. All dudes wanted to get into her pants except for Poe (Han Solo if he was played by oscar issac which is awesome), who had a boner for being cool. Finn was corny when he tried to romance Rey but he's the purest character in the movie, Kylo ren is so bad but on purpose, it's like JJ Abrams was satiring Anakin. The R2 machina will always anger me, bb8 is cooler.

i have so damn much to say about these movies so if someone wants to get more into it then you know where I'm out

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
VII gets a bad rap for doing exactly what it needed to do to succeed-- If it was the only Star Wars movie, and there were no other Star Wars movies, perhaps I'd have more problems with it. It's way too self referential and winks at the audience one too many times. When the movie is original, it's truly at it's best. Kylo Ren is a delightfully realized character, Rey and Finn play off each other wonderfully, and Finn and Poe have EXTREME chemistry; the TIE-Fighter escape scene with them is a really fun and energized part.

They had to do the winks. I don't like them, but it was a necessary part of the recipe.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
side note: if I were to rank the prequels (they're all hot garbage!) I'd put Phantom Menace on top. There's just enough silly fun going on that movie for it to be watchable. It's bad, but the pod-racing and goofy alien designs are worth something, right?

then I'd put Episode III. a stinky movie but the guy playing Palpatine is perfect

Episode II has no merit.

(i don't value 'cool lightsaber duels' as anything good. they say nothing about the characters and are expressionless; the duels from the OT and VII are much more emotionally driven. there's a lot more 'acting' going on)

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I agree with most of the list, would swap IV and VII though. Haven't seen Rogue One yet so don't know about that.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Ready to make some enemies (my boyfriend and I were just doing this at dinner, how convenient).

1) Revenge of the Sith
2) The Phantom Menace
3) A New Hope
4) Empire Strikes Back
5) Return of the Jedi
6) Attack of the Clones

Unworthy: The Force Awakens

Aesthetic Fanfic: Rogue One

Oscar should go to: The Clone Wars TV series

I think all of the Star Wars films are deeply flawed, but the casting and structuring of the prequels beats the originals. They're also more effective at making a convincing case for the issues at hand, whereas the originals are just decent, thoughtless popcorn fantasy flicks. (Yes, Attack of the Clones is a narrative crater of romantic faux pas, but weighing the films as trilogies the prequels are still stronger on the whole).

We're in the era of Marvel Movie standards. TFA was unexceptional in that it hit the usual zeitgeist button by refusing to challenge its audience and centering its motif around spectacle, but what really bothers me about the film is how it actually enacted all of the cinematic failures people accuse the prequels of characterizing yet is never taken to task for it: an unnecessary sidekick created to sell toys, the complete erosion of character development following the existing canon, writing which frequently cops out of its own internal logic, tragic misuse of overqualified actors (Lupita wins an Oscar and you give her a bit part in motion capture gtfo JJ; Leia is not a Jedi, tasks Han with doing literally anything in her place lmao), a nonsense central conflict which is never explained to satisfaction, and then in turn the general acceptance that the film is little more than sequel fodder gift-wrapped in recycled plotting for bonus nostalgia points-- it's a pretty nasty affair all around. I do like the casting of John Boyega and Oscar Isaac, but despite a lot of potential neither of their characters have a sustained emotional arc while the black hole of suspiciously convenient genre cliches known as Rey obliterates any opportunity the film has to try something daring and stray off the beaten path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back