• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHIII to have online multiplayer?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VLR.XIII

Square Enix has been looking at the future, and that future is either stuff from China that's cheap and is played online, or on Facebook. Expect all future Square Enix games to incorporate at least some of those aspects.

In an interview with Forbes, Square Enix boss Yoichi "Imperial Hot" Wada says that from here on in, every single game the company develops will incorporate "some element of multiplayer or social gaming". Even the traditionally singleplayer ones. Which would include the core Final Fantasy series.

To do this, Square Enix will embark on a slight restructure. "Frankly, the people who excelled at creating game software about 10 years ago are really not good at making multiplayer games. We are striving to change the old culture, and as a part of such effort we are trying to bring in fresh blood."

Hopefully, at least as far as Square's role-playing series go, restraint is exercised, and this just means they'll bolt some Facebook compatibility into their achievements/trophies.

All Square Enix Games To Include Social, Multiplayer Gaming [Kotaku]

Square Enix's Digital Future [Forbes]

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
I hope they don't get too caught up in it all. I like well made multiplayer but if it's just tacked on crap then I'd rather enjoy what the games were made for, the single player.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Like many in the industry, Wada says digital distribution of games
*Looks at PSPGo*
*snicker*

and online social games are the future,
*Looks at Live, PSN, and NWFC*
YAY!

instead of selling a complete "Final Fantasy" title for $60 or $70, Wada says the game could be broken into separate chapters and sold in pieces for $5 each.

Actually, that might be better. The PSPGo sold whole titles for fullprice.

Last edited:

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3
NOO!

they're gonna change the old head honcho's which are / were great at making the great classical square soft games for these new "multiplayer" kiddies !

wtf! D:<

ok multiplayer like in dissidia and BBS and days is all right but don't go changing the directors for new guys and turn the whole game 2 player or w/e..

wtf man! just cuz china is rolling off cheap multiplayer online games >~> godd.
aw man wtf >~<

that's it.. i miss square soft and old square enix and stuff.. goddamn stupid china!

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
that's it.. i miss square soft and old square enix and stuff.. goddamn stupid china!

Again, people taking things out of context... but the Kotaku article is a bit misleading and opinionated. (As usual.)

Square-Enix intends to incorporate multi-player options in games, not make them explicitly multi-player. Also as a developer that's been skittish about implementing multi-player functions in many and most of their AAA titles (as compared to other developers, Square-Enix's multi-player repertoire is very small), it's something they've obviously have to make up for to stay competitive especially if they're going to follow through with their globalization agenda. Online multi-player and it's functions are becoming an industry standard.

If that involves hiring more developers that are trained in multi-player game design and networking, so be it.

It's not going to change the color of Sora's shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back