• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHIII Mini Game Mis-Step?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Do you agree?

• Agree

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riku/Sora-Rule

Hey everybody! It's been YEARS since I've posted on these forums. I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this, but does anyone else think Square missed a really huge opportunity in favor of things that, to me at least, seem subpar? Specifically the character, Wreck-It-Ralph. Being brought in as a (honestly, very cheap looking) link/summon, I feel they used the movie license to below the bare minimum. Personally, rather than the Classic Kingdom mini-games, I would have LOVED to see Game Central Station as a mini-game hub. I mean, an entire world would have been incredible (and I would have picked it over Pirates of the Caribbean) but this would have been a nice substitute, rather than what we will be getting.

For those who don't know the movie, in universe, the power strip that has most of the arcade machines in the arcade that the Wreck-It-Ralph arcade cabinet plugged into is Game Central Station. The way video game characters hang out after hours and go into each other's games. That, at least to me, seems like such a better mini game platform overall.

Lemme know what your thoughts are

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
While I don’t think we’ll necessarily enter it as a sub world, I think the Wreck-It Ralph property could still be represented in minigames. It looks like there is an arcade in Galaxy Toys, which could house playable games such as Fix-It Felix and Sugar Rush. Completing these could even be what rewards us with the Ralph summon.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
It made some fans skin crawl for some reason, but I liked that Ratatouille will be just a single spot in another world. I think this is a cool way to represent some Disney properties that wouldn't make for an interesting world, or couldn't get in.

I mean, it's what we already had with the 101 Dalmatians and the Lady and the Trump fountain in KH1, or even just any FF character.
I think we got a little bit too used to newer KH games where you just see the Disney characters in their own Disney world and that was it, but KH III could easily pull off a Wreck-it Ralph, or even a Moana or Zootopia reference or sidequest somewhere else.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The concept of a Wreck-it-Ralph mini-game world is not without merit. The IP definitely lends itself to be useful in the same way that the 100 Acre Wood world was useful in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. The idea of having a central hub where you can go and play mini-games like Fix-it Sora!, Hero’s Duty first person shooter, or Sugar Rush racing is exciting and versatile in what kind of mini-games they could do and how different they are from each other.

But I have to question the need for a dedicated mini-game world. Kingdom Hearts 3 has mini-games spread out all across the worlds, in both the traditional sense and the long-form sense. We have mini-games where we cook with Remy, dance with Rapunzel, shoot things on an on-the-rails shooter in the Monsters Inc. building and then we have Pudding Heartless photography, Goofy sledding in Arendelle and Olympus, Hidden Mickey search, and the Classic Kingdom search and subsequent gameplay.

With these worlds being filled with content and unique mechanics and mini-games, I just fail to see reason as to why we need a world that is just purely dedicated to being a mini-game hub. Why should a world slot be wasted on an area with a barebones story that is connected by completing mini-games every so often during the game? People hated Atlantica when it turned into this, and while Winnie the Pooh has the history of being that world, I doubt its necessity in the long run.

If Ralph had been chosen, I would have rathered it be a full on world rather than just an excuse to host mini-games. As it is not looking like a Wreck-it-Ralph world will be coming to Kingdom Hearts 3, I am a bit thankful for that as we can look forward to hopefully its inclusion in future games. After all, if something doesn’t make the cut I would much rather a nice little hint of the character through the form of a summon rather than just omitting the character completely. I hope there are more brand new characters available through summons too, as the ones they have shown, while nice, aren’t that exciting to me. I’ve used the Meow Wow summon, the Ralph summon, and the Ariel summon and they all were nice to use but the only other summon to be shown since then has been Simba so I would like more summons that just aren’t Sora’s old friends and are more like Ralph.

So, in conclusion, I’d much rather Ralph’s world be a fullblown world rather than an excuse to have mini-games strung together in one location.

Riku/Sora-Rule

Me, I would prefer even a mini-game based world over the, as I already described as very cheap looking, link. Like, we can see in the movie what Ralph is capable of, and yet they did not take advantage of that either. In fact, I'd take Game Central over most of the mini-games so far. The Remy cooking one is really the only mini-game that interests me. So to have, as you said, the FPS Hero's Duty and Sugar Rush over the Classic Kingdom, I'm all for. Granted, I always hated those stupid Tiger handheld games, so maybe I'm biased. (and yes, I have played the ones they released into Union X)

Leaferian

Awards
Nah, I'd much rather they wait till later to use WIR as I have a feeling the new one will provide a ton of world-worthy material. Also, I like the KH3 effort to do original stories rather than following movie plot where possible.

Wallflower3582

I'd prefer it to be a full world too. If they incorporated the minigames into it that would be cool. Like, after you beat the boss or clear the games of glitches, or whatever little plotline they could come up with, then you go back and gain access to the arcade.

I'm hoping that Ralph's appearance acts kind of like Mushu's did in KH1, where the summon came first and then the world in a later game. Maybe Wreck It Ralph will appear in one of the post-KH3 games in the series.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
The only issue with me would be the licensing required. Unless you're just keeping it to the original game properties of the movie, it could get ugly fast, especially since the new one looks so much more focused on the brands that are present in the movie. If it ever got all of those rights, though, it could easily make KH a contender for world's biggest crossover event in gaming, right up with Nintendo.

Riku/Sora-Rule

I don't know if I'm just remembering incorrectly, but I thought I had heard that aside from Olympus, which makes sense story-wise based on 2.8, the Disney worlds would ALL be new to the series. To me, that means Pirates has no reason to be in the game. (talking more IPs over the actual world, so not comparing it to something like The Grid and Space Paranoids) Don't get me wrong, it looks incredible and fun to play, however, I'm super nitpick-y about certain things lol. And I'm so disappointed that they aren't telling both the story of Dead Man's Chest AND At World's End. (I think that Giant wheel set piece would be incredible in 3) Those things combined with the mini-games question I submitted makes me wish WIR was the world chosen over Pirates. Shoot, I'm gonna be upset if 100 Acre Wood isn't there either lol

Leaferian

Awards
You're remembering incorrectly, or were misinformed. Nomura said they would be focusing on newer Disney properties, that most of the worlds would be new, and that there weren't many returning worlds. It has never been said that Olympus would be the only returning world.

Riku/Sora-Rule

You're remembering incorrectly, or were misinformed. Nomura said they would be focusing on newer Disney properties, that most of the worlds would be new, and that there weren't many returning worlds. It has never been said that Olympus would be the only returning world.

I still think it was a poor decision over all the Disney properties available lol. How many people wanted Treasure Planet? That was one I saw a lot of fans hoping for.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The only issue with me would be the licensing required. Unless you're just keeping it to the original game properties of the movie, it could get ugly fast, especially since the new one looks so much more focused on the brands that are present in the movie. If it ever got all of those rights, though, it could easily make KH a contender for world's biggest crossover event in gaming, right up with Nintendo.

They could maybe use Taito properties to substitute for other game characters.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yeah on the Taito; I think I was the one that originally pointed that out b/c my brother is a arcade nerd. (So much so that he is a member of the local arcade game groups and owns about 4 arcade games.) Square owns Taito, so they can use anything from their games license free. Not to mention Square makes a few arcade games themselves (Tho since arcades are pretty much deadish in the west, we never see them), so they could come up with a decent arcade. (Some, like Dissidia, they might just do attract mode as a advertisement though instead of making them playable.)

And naturally, you need some kinda arcade to introduce Wreck It Ralph. So yeah, doable.

Last edited:
Awards
I would prefer WIR be a full world tbh. Having it be just minigames with no story would be a huge disappointment.

Additionally, I think having it be somehow related to the digital Twilight Town would be an awesome tie-in to the main plot of the game.

Maybe the WIR world is the gateway into it(Game Central Station), but because there's corrupted data everywhere (Bugs from the Hero shoot'emup maybe?) you have to clear the world before you can get access. Since Tron isn't going to make an appearance, this would be a great alternative. It's also a 'digital world', as it were. And we could probably find Data Sora there too.

That'd be so trippy if Sora met Data Sora lol

But yeah, having Sugar Rush be the one minigame of this area would be good since Fix-it Felix requires being outside that game to play and we have fps represented already with Sora's transforming keyblades. Having an actual racing game would be cool. Or maybe combine racing with fps and have Sora riding on the back of a racecar shooting targets lol

I would much rather have a WIR world than being forced into Hundred Acre Woods or Atlantica again. Or Agrabah. At least with Olympus you get to go to the three completely different regions of the movie in the 3 kh games. Earth, hell, and heaven. XD

Riku/Sora-Rule

Additionally, I think having it be somehow related to the digital Twilight Town would be an awesome tie-in to the main plot of the game.

I think you just came up with the best way to have GCS as just a mini-game hub with no real story and not be jarring lol By way of the computer in TT. Like how Sora and co. got sucked into the datascape, they'd be transferred through the wires into the outlet. I like it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back