• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI makes a KH game! Programming Sub-topic

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkRiku-12

So, as some of you know, the KHI makes a KH game! project has recently aquired someone willing to contribute to the programing section (btw, thanks man. Really appreciating the help! :)). This sub thread was created for organization purposes and this is where anyone should post 3d models, programing or questions to do with programing.

When 3d models are completely finished, they will be displayed here. (None are finished so far)

Keep up the good work, guys! :)

There are 4 protagonists in the game (which we usually call the fab four). The fab four consist of Raine, Brand, Linnea and Ciel.

Picture of the Fab four-
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...maincast-2.jpg

Raine is the more calculated character of the 4. He is also somewhat the more serious of the bunch.

Brand is a really arrogant kid, he's obsessed about being the best at fighting etc. but still kind at heart. Later on he learns that power and being the best at something isn't the most important thing in life.

Linnea is an insecure girl, part of a wealthy family. She has always been protected by her family and therefore wants to see the outside world. When she does see the outside world, she gets insecure real fast 'cause she's outside the comfort zone she has always been in.

Ciel is more of a girly version of Sora. Always enthousiastic, optimistic about almost everything and somewhat naive.

If you have any questions about other characters like f.e. Lucius and Orpheus (who are brothers and both Keyblade Masters), Oswald the lucky rabbit etc. or if you have questions about the overall plot, I suggest you ask the question you want an answer for in the story thread (thread #1) or the character creation thread (thread #2) people there will likely be able to help you. If you have any questions about worlds or world creation, you should go to thread #4. The Music-creation thread also ahas a list of worlds in the first post.

ATTENTION POTENTIAL PROGRAMERS: If you want to join the programing team, then there are some things you'll have to know first.

1. The Engine we're using is called Unity. It uses C# coding and can be downloaded here: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/
2. Don't panic if you don't know what C# is, it's basically a slightly more advanced form of C++. If you are already skilled with the latter, then it should not take very long to learn it.
3. We are not ready for programming just yet, but by all means, please make yourself known! Just tell us you are interested and we will add you to the team and contact you when we are ready for your contribution.
4. Although C# is the perfered languae to be used, the Unity Engine can also use several different languages at the same time. The languages it supports are C# (as stated above), JAVA, and Boo. C# is the most sophisticated and thus the best to use for a game, but if it is not an option for you, you may use the other two supported languages.
5. TAKE YOUR TIME LEARNING THE TECH. This isn't going to be done tomarrow, or probably within this year, even. So you have plenty of time to read up. Basically, be sure that you have at least a basic programming knoledge before you decide to participate.
6. Have fun! This isn't the only section, so if you get tired or stressed out, be sure to visit the other ones too! Sometimes it's nice to have a change of digital scenery ;)

The programming team is currently composed of...

Key of Truth
Pratiko
Arkrend
Twilightheaven
Kokkie
kingroxas
ShailsTDSPT
Mister Undecided

If you wish to join, just say so here. :)

All help is appreciated and if you have any more questions, please ask! :)

If anybody has anything that they want me to add to this OP, just speak up and I'll add whatever you feel is needed.

Last edited:

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
I'd just like to warn everybody: Even though this is a non-profit fan project, don't be surprised if Disney slams the copyright gavel once a certain point is reached...

mickeyinfinitecopyrightgoodger.jpg

Pratiko

Awards
Gotta use this space for general programming information and W3's engine.

Work in Progress...

So, in a few words, this:
Hi, people.
I'm Pratiko, you can call me Prat. I sent a PM yesterday to king_mickey offering him my help with what I can do, programming.

On a more detailed note, I can code in a certain engine, Warcraft III's, which supports the use of custom audio files, graphic files, etc. I'll show you an example of the engine using KH2's models with your (mostly) favourite Nobody, Axel:

2946jxk.jpg

That's just to show that the engine can handle KH2's, models, aswell as KH1, BbS's and re:CoM's... Also, I should mention I've got most of the main characters models, Heartless and Nobodies, for if anyone needs them.
The engine can do cutscenes with your own camera angles, can use unit animations on them, put dialog, can design maps and terrains, etc.
Only thing that would be a complication would be making a battle system that works like the usual KH we know (be it BbS's or original KH's style), but it can be done.
I should mention, too, that you can make multiple maps and combine them via coding, so many people can work on different world designs at the same time.

What I mean with all of this is that this engine could be used to actually make the game as it can:
do cutscenes (example: WarCraft III--Cian Machinima--Episode 1 - YouTube )
use most 3d models with high quality (as shown in Axel's picture)
easy to design worlds (example: Genso - Forest Path Design - Warcraft 3 Map - YouTube )
emulate a gameplay similar to KH's (requires intense work as expected of any KH-stylish game)
use audio files (with minor quality loss if optimized map size)

I don't know if a multiplayer option is 100% possible, but it can be designed to work as a separate map, as all the other worlds, requiring only previous data loaded by the player...

Anyway, all in all, I can't do the game by myself, I could just lead the way for people to cooperate correctly and make an awesome game by the KHI community.
So yeah, my 2 cents to the project.

Any questions about the engine, how to get it, tutorials, more demonstrations (I can use my own project to showcase stuff that can be done in KH terms...), the models I've got, how the audio files work, etc, please, ANY question you can make it here or via PM, I'll be sure to ask the questions in this thread so that anyone else with the same doubt can check it out. Maybe we'll need another thread, if people is willing to actually do this...

PS: I should note I'm currently a student with limited time until December, since I got 3 months vacations from then on (South America ftw).

This was posted on the World Design thread, originally, so if anything is unclear, please tell me, so that I can add more information about anything you need.

Last edited:

Pratiko

Awards
And this one for FAQs.....
As questions are made, I'll answer them directly and then also update this post, so that everyone can make use of these answers.

Q: How can I help?
A: Although this is about programming, a number of stuff must be done in order to actually make the codes work. So I'll do a little list and explain later on:
Animations
World Designs
Models
Cutscene Programming

Let's start:
Animations: Each model done has a number of animations to it, which vary from Attacking, Walking, Running, Dying, Flynching, Jumping, Attacking in the Air, Casting Spells, Talking, Expressing Emotions, etc... All the animations mentioned before are fundamental to every protagonist, since they'll be displayed in cutscenes and battle.
World Designs: Each world needs to be done in a separate map with the World Editor, Warcraft III's engine, and with an Object Base familiar to each other, that is, they'll have similar units in order to transport protagonists from one world to another (as in from one map to another). After this is done, anyone can contribute designing these worlds.
Models: Each original character needs an original model, hopefully in a file not larger than 200kb and in .MDX format, with it's own textures, too.
Cutscene Programming: The game is based on cutscenes, as any KH game is, so anyone that makes a cutscene is adding his own feel of how they think the story would play, be it camera angles, expression of the characters, etc. This section of programming isn't hard and doesn't require too much learning, just a little patience to make everything work perfectly. I invite everyone to this part, specially, since it'll be a lot of work.

Q: Where can I get the engine (aka World Editor)?
A: You can either purchase the game (Warcraft III) OR download it via torrent (I won't post the link, I don't think it's legal to do it :c). Then, you have to download World NewGen Editor, which is an expansion tool of the ordinary Editor that supports higher quality coding, function lists, highlighting, etc. That's the engine we're gonna use.

Updated as of 27th September

Last edited:

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
And now I have hope for this project again. :D

I'd just like to warn everybody: Even though this is a non-profit fan project, don't be surprised if Disney slams the copyright gavel once a certain point is reached...

mickeyinfinitecopyrightgoodger.jpg

Fangame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though the possibility is there, there hasn't been a legal case in years. Largely thanks to the rise in popularity of machinimas and Source mods. I think so long as we clarify in the opening title sequence/credits that this is a non-profit fan project, and urge for support of the official KH games/Disney/Square, we should be in the clear.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Yup, I think if we play it very safe and clearly tell that it's non-profit, that it's based off a game from Dinsey and Square-Enix and that we don't kill off any Disney characters or make'em do things that're not Disney-y (what a word xd) that we won't get into any trouble at all :)

Oh DarkRiku, I think you should edit your first post a little with some more info for people who aren't really up-to-date with our project. You can base your first post on my first post in the Music Thread, it's like a little summary for new people + rules to keep everything balanced and not chaotic ^^

Also, if anyone that isn't part of our team yet reads this and is interested in joining and has the ability to program or something to help Pratiko with his work, please, do not hesitate to join the project :)

disneyfreaksXIII

I wouldn't consider myself an expert at programming but i have taken 2 programming classes at school and I might be able to help, i'd consider more of a learning experience though :p i only know java though so if its anything else I'll have to learn it online or something.

Pratiko

Awards
Don't worry about the learning, it's pretty fast and vJASS is a simple language.
I'm no expert, either, but I've used this language for years now, and I taught PHP programming at my university (I dunno if there exists anything like a teacher assistant over there, but that was what I did).

Codes look like this:
Code:
private function func takes nothing returns boolean
if (GetRandomInt() >= 10) then
return true
endif
endfunction

Also, vJASS has many native functions and can handle custom systems and such. Cool, amirite?

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I didn't really take any of these "KHI makes a KH game" threads seriously until now. I thought it was pure discussion.

The code looks similar to C++. I spy an if statement ;).

disneyfreaksXIII

nope we don't have anyone like that at my school, i understood that code well enough (i think) its very similar to java so learning it should be easy. thanks and I'm planning on helping in the programming area now so just tell me what to do :)

Pratiko

Awards
For now we just wait, since we need more detailed specifications about the game itself, and I'll be available to work on this from December on.

And yeah, vJASS comes from C (it actually compiles to C), so they're pretty similar.

Arkrend

May I make a suggestion? I understand you are using an engine belonging to a retail game. Other fan games made with retail engines require ownership of the game to play the fan game. Meaning in order to play this game you would need Warcraft III.

I know of an engine called the Unity engine. It supports 3D models, can be programmed with Java, is powerful enough to make very complex games, and is free. It is basically a free Unreal engine. Unity Pro, which adds dynamic lightning among other things, costs 100 dollars, but the base engine is free. Unity Pro only has a few exclusive features and gives creators the right to sell their game for money.

Basically my suggestion is to use an equally powerful engine that won't require Warcraft III to program for or to play. Unity supports multiple forms of programming aside from Java if I am correct. The 3D modelling program Blender might useful in transfering !nimations and models from Kingdom Hearts games though I am not sure about that. Blender is also free.

Just a suggestion. It might be easier for people to use Unity since it is free. It's worth checking out to see if it can be an alternative to the Warcraft engine.

Just to give you an idea of how flexable Unity is: Unity was used to create a Tiger Woods golfing game, the Cartoon Network game Fusion Fall, and a simple 3D RPG for the iPod touch. The engine covers a wide range. Here is a link.UNITY: Game Development Tool

disneyfreaksXIII

@arkrend while I would agree with you about not using the warcraft engine I don't think we have anyone who really knows the engines you mentioned as well as pratiko says he knows the WCIII engine. and another thing is this is a NON PROFIT fangame, that is the only possible way we could get away with making this like mad said just a few posts above me. I suggest we wait for a bit and see what we can do with the wc engine and if that doesn't work, then we look into other possible engines.

Arkrend

another thing is this is a NON PROFIT fangame

I understand. Anything made with Unity can be given away for free. I think bringing up Unity Pro made my post complicated. I wasn't suggesting charging for the game. I was suggesting using the free version which is perfect for a fangame.

I was just making another option known just in case.

I look forward to seeing what this project produces.

Tanner22

Website
www.sd151.k12.id.us
All of you programmers are geniuses. Signed up for a computer class where we learned to make computers and basic game programming. I left the class after like 5 days. Technical stuff really isn't my thing. I like using my creativity, so I switched to a graphic design class where I learned 3D. MAJOR props to all of you for being able to do this.

I made a project in Maya that was a scene from the nightmare before christmas. I modeled Jack and the spiral hill area and animated it. Sadly, it was for school so I only have a video of what I did and not the actual files. If i did, maybe I could help somehow :(

Also, if it ever did come to legal issues, we wouldn't really stand a chance. Even though those things you posted are true, they can still get around them. Plus, Square isn't too yielding as we see form the Chrono Trigger fan game. Maybe Disney would see our creative spirits and endorse it :)

One day, when we are famous on the internet for this game, everything will have been worth it :D

Pratiko

Awards
@Arkrend
I'll take a look at Unity, and if I see it's easier to use than W3's engine, then we could switch to it, but looking at the images and stuff, I doubt my PC can run it haha. I'll give it a look anyway, thanks for the suggestion.
Also, about the unit animations, thing with KH2's anims is that they don't come in a file or anything, they come with the actual code and aren't attached to the models. It's like a coded library of animations unreachable to anyone, so we're screwed in that matter.

Key to Truth

Awards
I didn't know you were actually going to attempt making the game. I can code anything in C++, I've tried creating games but in the end I quit because I didn't have people who would help me make the resources for the game (3D models, music, textures, etc...). If I can help I want to be in.

Pratiko

Awards
@Key to Truth cool dude. At the moment I've offered using Warcraft III's engine, which uses vJASS, a variant of C. It's very simple to learn and contains many many native functions from the game itself that we can use. More importantly, it can handle all the different resources we get, be it music, 3D models, and pictures, and can make cutscenes, which is a major plus.

Arkrend also suggested us to use the Unity engine, which supports JAVA code. I don't know much about this engine or JAVA, so I cannot give any more details.

Anyway, you're welcome to help, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back