• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI FABLES - "The Storytellers' Circle" - {SignUp & RP Discussion}

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
- The Storytellers' Circle -
| KHI FABLES |

"Pandora's Box", Arthur Rackham

We can each remember a fairy-tale of one kind or another.
Brought to life by bedtime lamplight, the stories of the old world brought delight and wonder to our childhood selves. We imagined ourselves atop cloud-wreathed beanstalks, or in a magical carriage with the prince of our dreams. We squirmed with anxiety as the wicked witch's plan unfolded, and laughed at the strange talking animals. And we all knew when the hero would suddenly prevail. In the world of fairy-tales, we could delight in pure imagination—and find meaning in stories older than nations.

Why do they endure, after so many damaging years? What allows these old peasant-tales to live on?
The answer cannot be found in their literary merit, or their originality. Fairy-tales endure because of the hearts bound to them.

Today, we rarely listen to a hearts' voices, which have become distant and muddled. But in the days of yore, goodness was more good; wickedness was more wicked; magic was more real. The hearts of men were truer things—and the world was more alive, brimming with magic that can only begin in the heart. As time wore the truth away, only the essence of these true-hearted people remained. Their heart-of-hearts, their story.

So long as they remain, in the form of fairy-tales, those hearts can speak truths to us—truths that we would otherwise ignore or forget. Some, however, are not so fortunate to have survived as tales. Many stories remain untold, the hearts of their inhabitants lost. I come imploring you, my fellow storytellers, to help me rectify this tragedy. You—who can don any mask, speak through any voice—have the power to resurrect the past.

Return to the old world of magic and castles, to the fairy godmothers and handsome princes.
Find those who have been lost to time's negligence, and learn their stories! Save them!

This is my charge to you, as assigned by the Library of Story-Keepers. I am confident that you can perform this task.

— J. Ordeith, Keeper of Tomes

images

- Setting; The Old World -
In the Age of Fairy-Tales, numerous kingdoms came into existence, then ceased to be.
Europe was a very uncultivated place, you see, with many places left isolated from one another. A king could be totally unaware of the kingdom nearest to his—and still ignorant of the foreign wonders in Persia and Araby. Not even time remained constant in all places. (This partly accounts for the sheer volume of fairy-tales in existence.)

Among these isolated fiefdoms, one stands as particularly remarkable—because it has been almost entirely forgotten. Other realms were at least able to produce one or two lasting stories, but the Lands of King Dragonsbane are known only to a handful of story-historians. You, my fellow storytellers, will be journeying with me to these lands—to uncover the people behind the story fragments we possess. When their stories are reconstructed, the truth in their hearts can once more speak to us, that we might grow wiser.

According to the latest tale of King Dragonsbane in our possession, His Majesty issued a host of messengers into distant lands—in search of a husband for his daughter. Our living storybook shall begin here. As other tales reference, word of Dragonsbane’s contest reached far and wide; for the first and last time, many were drawn to his kingdom, out of interest or mere curiosity. Their stories intertwine, we believe, though to what end we are not certain.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
- Auditions -

spider_rackham_cropped.gif

"Little Miss Muffett", Arthur Rackham

Not everybody can be a storyteller, as you are all aware.
Any fool can spew words in an entertaining manner; a storyteller must search for the hearts buried in the story, and draw them out in the telling. He or she must become a vessel for others long gone, and allow each heart to utter its important message before returning to sleep. To prove that you are a storyteller of true merit, I require that you retrieve a story fragment, from the Library or otherwise. Only the very best are suited for this mission.

images

Allow me to break character for a moment, but retain this manner of speaking directly. If you couldn't gather the premise of this roleplay from everything written above, I'll explain: We're going to be constructing whole, complex characters using traditional fairy-tale tropes and archetypes. According to the roleplay's premise, the stories we know as fairy-tales were once accounts of real people—extraordinary, but real. They will participate in an overarching tale together, while helping each other resolve their individual stories.

Instead of a template, roleplayers must submit a "story fragment" in the style of a fairy-tale, introducing their character.
The following will be required for these audition pieces:
- Your story/character must be based on a trope or archetype found in fairy-tales and myth. [Please cite examples.] Princes, princesses, wicked witches, talking animals, crafty tricksters, and monstrous giants are some of the most basic components of a fairy-tale collection. Characters will be accepted based on the variety they add to the cast.

- Fairy-tale style must be maintained throughout the piece. These auditions are meant to be pieces of age-old stories, warped and diluted over time. For this reason, a roleplayer's previous record will also be considered in accepting characters—though it will certainly not be a major factor.

- Each "story fragment" must provide sufficient background information for its central character, serving primarily as the "bio" field of a roleplay template. [NOTE: The story needn't be completely accurate, as characters will be revealed and fleshed out in the RP itself.]

- "Once upon a time" must begin each audition piece. Nothing else will be acceptable.​
I encourage interconnection between stories, as these characters inhabited the same space concurrently. If you receive permission, feel free to weave your story fragment with another roleplayer's. This roleplay will brush against collaborative fiction in some aspects, especially in character relationships.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

images

- Illustrators -
A storybook can scarcely be called such without illustrations;
the pictures help us see through the eyes of those who remain only through their stories.

If any master-artists have heard my summons, please reply here.

You will be working alongside our storytellers to revive those lost to time, appending their historical work with depictions of the scenes as they happened. However, as your profession also demands a connection with the heart, I urge you not to be bashful! Should you hear a voice of inspiration, let it bloom into an illustration! Not every heart speaks in the same way, and our mission is to record the lost voices by whatever means possible.

| Submitted Illustrations |

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

images

| Storytellers & Characters |

- Ordeith; The Black Knight; King Dragonsbane

- OmniChaos; The Stolen Thief & the Fell King

- OmniChaos; Sir Barnaby, the Dastard

- FairSovereign; Gerre Desidarius

- Orion; The Dauntless Merchant, Solomon

- Athel; Gilead, the Second Gnasher

- Professor Ven; The Bard / The Joyful Jester

- Evangeline; The Humble Peasant Girl

- Passion; Princess Cecilia, the Desired Child

- Prophet; The Behemoth

| Illustrators |

- ╬ProperArtist╬

- quiteMAD

We are currently recruiting illustrators...

Last edited:

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
Give me a few days and I'll have the Stolen Thief & the Fell King audition up. In the meantime, let's go people!

FairSovereign

The Archmage: These individuals are known as the pinnicle of magical power and are often consider authories on all matters arcane. Whether these titles are given to them by the people, by other wizards, by the gods or are just implied, these individuals are known as wise, intelligent and often impart others with wise words, though they are by no means always good of heart. They are miracle men, and whether they are loved or feared, they are always respected.

Examples: Gandalf from Lord of the Rings, Merlin

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
The King: After the hero has endured the struggles of his quest, he can become a pillar of strength for others. The King stands as a paragon of wisdom, entrusted with the power to create and destroy as he sees fit. He is the ideal ruler—a patron to future heroes, and the defender of his people.

Examples of this archetype: King Arthur, King Solomon, Aragorn from The Lord of the Rings

Spoiler Spoiler Show

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
The Fallen Hero: Not every hero stays true on the path of goodness and righteousness. Some find themselves led astray by promises of power and fortune, others led by vengeance, only to find themselves corrupted and consumed by it. These heroes, once praised and adored, become feared and hated.

Example of this archetype: Saruman, from The Lord of the Rings

The Villain: The wicked and the vile, the villain aspires for the negative or evil. Going against what is good and righteous, the villain will go to any lengths to obtain what the seek, some going as far as placing their life on the line to do it. Written by fate, the villain is destined into conflict with the hero.

Examples of this archetype: Satan, Baba Yaga, The Queen, from Snow White

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Athel

Machinist
I'll try and get my fragment on The Warrior done over the weekend.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
The Fallen Hero: Not every hero stays true on the path of goodness and righteousness. Some find themselves led astray by promises of power and fortune, others led by vengeance, only to find themselves corrupted and consumed by it. These heroes, once praised and adored, become feared and hated.

Example of this archetype: Saruman, from The Lord of the Rings

The Villain: The wicked and the vile, the villain aspires for the negative or evil. Going against what is good and righteous, the villain will go to any lengths to obtain what the seek, some going as far as placing their life on the line to do it. Written by fate, the villain is destined into conflict with the hero.

Examples of this archetype: Satan, Baba Yaga, The Queen, from Snow White

Spoiler Spoiler Show
The character(s), as you already know, meets my approval -- and your story fragment seems to be order.
Welcome to the Circle, fellow storyteller!

I'll try and get my fragment on The Warrior done over the weekend.
Ah, I was hoping for someone to control a solid example of the warrior archetype.

My Fragment is now complete!~

I have no problems with Goros himself, but I can't accept the story fragment as it is. The story fragments are meant to be the diluted fairy-tales that came about from real events; your "fragment" retells everything as it happened. Proper fairy-tale style is necessary, good sir.

EDIT: The spoilers are gone, now.

FairSovereign

The fragment should no longer contain any real spoilers. I have changed it significantly to be much more non-specific, and hopefully it works a little better, even if it is a lot shorter. Sorry for the mix-up. I will gladly accept a year in the bottomless pit for my major blunder~

Last edited:

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
The fragment should no longer contain any real spoilers. I have changed it significantly to be much more non-specific, and hopefully it works a little better, even if it is a lot shorter. Sorry for the mix-up. I will gladly accept a year in the bottomless pit for my major blunder~

Again, no worries, Fair Sovereign.
Everything now seems to be in order -- so welcome to the Circle, fellow storyteller!

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
The Intrepid Salesman: A figure who travels far and wide seeking his profit, be it by trading foreign goods between distant lands, looting long-lost ruins or even theft of particularly priceless or unique items. Willing to put himself in harm's way to obtain items of significant value, the salesman occasional finds himself facing imprisonment, death, and in some very arcane instances, something worse altogether.

Examples: Sinbad from The Arabian Nights, Marco Polo

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
The Intrepid Salesman: A figure who travels far and wide seeking his profit, be it by trading foreign goods between distant lands, looting long-lost ruins or even theft of particularly priceless or unique items. Willing to put himself in harm's way to obtain items of significant value, the salesman occasional finds himself facing imprisonment, death, and in some very arcane instances, something worse altogether.

Examples: Sinbad from The Arabian Nights, Marco Polo

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I like the fusion of merchant and merchandise -- almost to a Tin Woodsman effect.
Domhnall of Zena could take a few pages from this fellow's book.

Athel

Machinist
(This description isn't very good...)

The Warrior: A champion of battle, skilled in the ways of war. He achieves fame and success through his skill, and is seen as a leader among his people. They may die triumphantly, or pass on their torch to another after them.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
(This description isn't very good...)

The Warrior: A champion of battle, skilled in the ways of war. He achieves fame and success through his skill, and is seen as a leader among his people. They may die triumphantly, or pass on their torch to another after them.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

A question, though: Will you be controlling the Gnasher, or his son?

Athel

Machinist
A question, though: Will you be controlling the Gnasher, or his son?

His son. I'm still unsure if I'll still call him the Gnasher, or a new title completely. If I do come up with a new title, I'll likely edit it in.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
His son. I'm still unsure if I'll still call him the Gnasher, or a new title completely. If I do come up with a new title, I'll likely edit it in.

Very well; I'll add him to the character roster.
If you'd prefer another name be listed, just ask.

In other news, we need a princess of some kind; if someone wants to control Dragonsbane's daughter, they may.

Athel

Machinist
Just giving this a little nudge.

We ought to spread the news around the other sections a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back