• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI Critique Center 2.0

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
KHI Critique Center!

Hello Everyone!

This is the place to show us all of your work for one of the options below:

*Editing: Grammar/Spelling corrections.

*Brainstorming: Discussing/Suggesting ideas to help move you along.

*Reviewing: Those who don't get responses on their writing, can bring it here to gain some attention and well deserved feedback.

*Hardcore Criticism: We go over every detail in your pieces of writing.

Do keep in mind, that we all have schedules to work around. However, this doesn't mean, that we won't help you because, we at KHI appreciate the time and effort you put into the things you write about. We have so many talented and amazing writers out there that get so easily discouraged when, nobody leaves a comment. Which is why we really want to change this and suggest, trying something new with the option below.

*Make a poll with these options below:

Love it
Like it
Indifferent/Undecided
Dislike

This way you know someone on the forum is reading the things you put up. I can't promise they'll leave comments but, it should assure you that people have in fact looked at it.

Side Note: Please provide us your links to the things you write about. Thank you in advance.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'll pop in and try to help anyone that interests me. I'll try not to be as super hardcore as I usually am to save time, and also hide my red pens.

Side note, the poll thing still makes me nervous, as it would encourage people not to form thought and comment on works, but be lazy and hit a button instead, angering the writers more. We want to encourage posting, that's why this thing is starting up again... I'm not saying CANCEL EVERYTHING AAAAHHHH we haven't even seen it in practice yet, but it could also lead to the reason why rep was taken down.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
This is the place to show us all of your work for one of the options below:

*Editing
*Ideas
*Reviewing
*Hardcore Criticism

If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask :)
I'd like to know what the difference between these is.

I also was a bit confused at the title of the thread. It's clever, but it took me a little while to check it out for lack of knowing what it was. Maybe I'm just a bit dense.
Side note, the poll thing still makes me nervous, as it would encourage people not to form thought and comment on works, but be lazy and hit a button instead, angering the writers more. We want to encourage posting, that's why this thing is starting up again... I'm not saying CANCEL EVERYTHING AAAAHHHH we haven't even seen it in practice yet, but it could also lead to the reason why rep was taken down.
Don't worry about it until we've tried it. We could try the like/dislike system specifically for competition pieces (entries for “Character of the Month,” etc) before extending it to the rest of the forums. We could even make a (slightly) more nuanced version, such as:

Love it
Like it
Indifferent/Undecided
Dislike

Because I, for one, would have to really dislike something to go onto someone’s thread and click “Dislike”; but that doesn’t mean I “love” or even “like” every piece of writing I read.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The difference I think between the four are basically how in depth they go. Do you want every detail pointed out to you, or a general comment?

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
The difference I think between the four are basically how in depth they go. Do you want every detail pointed out to you, or a general comment?
I wasn't sure. Editing I can imagine as grammar/spelling corrections, against Ideas which would be (I guess) discussion of the themes; but what then separates Ideas, Reviewing, and Hardcore Criticism? What if all of my criticism is hardcore?

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I wasn't sure. Editing I can imagine as grammar/spelling corrections, against Ideas which would be (I guess) discussion of the themes; but what then separates Ideas, Reviewing, and Hardcore Criticism? What if all of my criticism is hardcore?
Then they'd go to you for that, they'd go to me for editing/ideas/hardcore critique [because i do all of that and i'm INSANE...]

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards

*Editing: Grammar/Spelling corrections.

*Ideas: I know people need help trying to move their stories along. I think it'd be good to help by throwing out suggestions and discussing it with them. Kind of like "Brain Storming".

*Reviewing: Those who don't get responses on their writing, can bring it here to gain some attention.

*Hardcore Criticism: You go into depth on how they write, how they can make it better, engaging and ect. I was gonna put 'Soft Criticism' but thought that was kind of silly. This is more for those who, are really serious about their pieces of writing; not fully doing it for fun and want to get the best criticism there is available.

I'll do my share of helping too. It's no big deal if all of your criticism is hardcore. Might give a few people more backbone, and be more proud and serious about their work when, filling in your standards.

[I'll edit the op with this soon.]

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Here's just a general tip to all writers, and one that has helped me a lot--once you are finished with a piece of writing (or even part of a piece of writing), sit down and read it. See if the words on the screen (or on the page) match the words in your head. Try reading it out loud and listen to how it flows. Read every word, and don't just rely on what you 'remember' writing; in fact, try to forget that you even wrote it. This will help you catch a lot of things that you did not intend to be in your writing, and will help to ensure that the story on the screen is in fact the story in your head.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Here's just a general tip to all writers, and one that has helped me a lot--once you are finished with a piece of writing (or even part of a piece of writing), sit down and read it. See if the words on the screen (or on the page) match the words in your head. Try reading it out loud and listen to how it flows. Read every word, and don't just rely on what you 'remember' writing; in fact, try to forget that you even wrote it. This will help you catch a lot of things that you did not intend to be in your writing, and will help to ensure that the story on the screen is in fact the story in your head.
My writing teacher encouraged us to finish it, leave it alone COMPLETELY for a week, just forget about it, then rip it to shreds after a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hahahaha!

But you see, with my method, you would have remembered to write "My writing teacher encouraged us to finish it"
godfuckingdammit i am so tired right now .____. not even gonna edit it. it's there forever. i have failed everyone.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I would like to submit my recent fan-fiction, Naminé, to hardcore critique from anyone who would be willing. By "hardcore critique," I don't expect you to go over every detail in the story--it's rather long. But I would like someone who will read it in detail and pull out the elements they think are effective or ineffective in telling the story.

I've checked it over a few times for grammar/spelling mistakes, but I'm sure on a piece this long there are bound to be some I missed. I'll also point out this is the first fanfiction I've written since possibly late middle school or early high school (I don't remember when I wrote that last Inuyasha fanfic... I hope it was middle school). But don't pull any punches, and above all be a critical reader.

Lastly, as this is an entry in the Fandom of the Month, in the interests of fairness I will not make any major changes to the story while it is up for this month (even if those changes would be beneficial). If someone does suggest some useful edits, I'll wait until December to make them.

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
if you want, i'll give it a look! if you want to know what i critique like then i'll be more than willing to link you to past critiques :3

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Hey, I would just like to have someone check out of my first time story here and see if anything sounds off or whatnot..

Here: http://forums.khinsider.com/fanfiction/188054-infamous-beginning-tyranny.html
You've already gotten some feedback, but I'll also leave a critique in the next few days.

On my own note, I'd still be happy for anyone to critique my short story, Naminé. It's a bit long (around 4,000 words), so I don't expect a word-by-word proofreading, but a few concrete points by a critically-minded reader would be great! Thanks.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Been a while since I last written a fic. Some feedback would do me some good. :)

*Click here*

I'll do my best to critique your story. :D Really refreshing to see someone new write a fic. You're welcome to give feedback on the critique I give you too. Since, I'm still learning myself.

Morgana

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site but definitely not to this awesome franchise. I recently had some brainstorms for a new OC and wanted to know if it was okay to post some questions here first. I have all the basics for her back story down but my concern is I want to make sure she doesn't come off as a Mary-Sue. So before I begin posting her shortened origin story will it be alright if I post here for other people's opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back