• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► KHI Book Club - What are you currently reading?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I've been slowly reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk but I'm not liking the style of it too much...

I really loved Choke. Keep pushing through, the plot really does pick up, hopefully you'll like it.

Started reading Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

I had to read Aristotle and Dante for one of my college classes last year and wasn't too fond of it.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Other than that I'm kind of just reading short stories and other creative writing things from friends or at school with my literary magazine. I don't have as much time for novels anymore and it hurts so bad. I read so many novels last year and all I'm reading now are school assignments.

Send help.

Tbh, I've been having the same issue. Most of what I have been reading and completing this year has been comics, short stories (be it in collections or by themselves), or other people's shit that they want me to look at, which is great and all but I miss my time with novels <|3

I had to read Aristotle and Dante for one of my college classes last year and wasn't too fond of it.

tumblr_inline_nqrpujy4Ka1sdkz3a_500.gif

I mean, I get it's not gonna be erryone's favorite, since we alls gots different tastes, but I love that book.

Max

Staff member
Awards
tumblr_inline_nqrpujy4Ka1sdkz3a_500.gif

I mean, I get it's not gonna be erryone's favorite, since we alls gots different tastes, but I love that book.

Something about a lot of the dialogue rubbed me the wrong way, like so much of it just felt super cheesed as I was reading along, specifically when the boys were talking to each other. I don't know, it just didn't seem like natural conversation to me. It wasn't so much the story as it was the writing itself I guess. That and Aristotle was pretty unlikable in my opinion, it's hard when you really aren't a fan of the narrator/protagonist.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I really loved Choke. Keep pushing through, the plot really does pick up, hopefully you'll like it.
Haven't quite given it up but like, I'm also open to like, selling it if someone wants to buy it off me all the same. I kind of just don't like the main char which yeah he isn't supposed to be liked but... idk man...

And yeah, Lonbilly I just want to have time to myself but with my admin duties and whatnot I'm just too busy reading all the shit that's posted on my discord than a novel and it makes me kinda sad in that aspect but my work is rewarding so I wanna keep doing that. ._.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I finally got through Anna Karenina after almost drowning in the density of reading it in parallel with The Dream of the Red Chamber (talk about a long haul), and all I can think is that Tolstoy is such a jerk writer for not even revisiting Seryozha and giving me some closure on that poor child's life lol.

Now I've got a stack of manga to get through, starting with four volumes of Liselotte & The Witch's Forest, and two volumes of The Girl from the Other Side for which I shiver in antici-pation.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
I am currently engaged in two different books that aren't manga. I am reading Washington: A Life by Robert Cherow and the first book in the Hardy Boys series. So far the biography I've just made it to where Washington has married Martha Custiss and is growing steadily infuriated with England's treatment of the Colonists. Don't get me wrong I do not dislike the UK at all, but it is interesting seeing that the revolution was actually inevitable and would have occurred one way or another.

The Hardy Boys though a series meant for the 'youth' as I now refer to anyone under 18, is actually pretty well written and managed to hold my attention for a full chapter. Considering I have a short attention span on certain things this says something about the book. I have just made it to where the Hardy Boys have decided to tackle their first case officially and are now rivals with their father.

Manga wise though I intend to re-read Cardcaptor Sakura by CLAMP in preparation of Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card which comes out stateside this autumn. I also still have to read the last volume of the KH2 manga and the recently released novel.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The last book I happened to read was, "My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry" by Fredrik Backman. I don't usually read books like this in particular but, this was a really good read. I ignore the part about Elsa being seven because, she seems more like a ten or twelve year old in the book to me. I was literally surprised by the modern parts of it because, I judged it a lot by its cover. Furthermore, I like how it all adds up towards the end. It's probably one of the second most unique books I've ever read.

I actually wanted to ask you guys, what kind of books do you like to read during the winter in particular? Any favorites?

I usually read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn in the winter. It's one of my favorites to curl up on the couch beneath a blanket to read, and sip hot cocoa with. I'll admit it's a bit centered around the holidays but, even without the holiday part it's a pretty decent book to me. :)

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I'm currently reading Leonard Susskind's The Cosmic Landscape and I am in love with this man's way to expose and explain concepts of varying difficulty to a larger, intelligent public. It's theoretical physics and a superb read. If you have a passion for science, I recommend this book anytime!

I actually wanted to ask you guys, what kind of books do you like to read during the winter in particular? Any favorites?

I used to love reading detective/crime/mystery books when it was dark and snowy outside, though the last time I got to do that was years ago... Weren't the most peaceful winters, the last two I had... Unfortunately.

This is different this winter, though, I fixed a lot of (mostly personal life-related) things through this year aaaand I think the read for this winter shall be Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose and Joseph Heller's Catch-22, one very philosophical, from a hermeneutic/semiological/maybe even logical perspective from what I heard, and magnificently written, and the other was mentioned in The Cosmic Landscape as an example of a tremendous (logical) paradox, which intrigues me infinitely as of now >:'D

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
So recently I finished a book I got for Christmas called Artemis by Andy Weir (same author of The Martian​​​​​ ).
The book was incredible, it was about a woman named Jazz who lives in a lunar colony called Artemis and she gets caught up in a big situation that could doom the whole colony.
Amazing story. Yes I know I sound like a nerd (and you're right), but this book was good. Finished it in 3 days.
I'm still in the middle of reading another book about a murder mystery. :3
I've been bugging my English teacher for a book that a student hasn't returned yet for me to read. I should get caught up with the murder novel first though.
Also English we are reading and acting out a story about Caesar, fun stuff.

Awards
This thread makes me happy! I love reading! Um, I just finished reading "Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book"! Awesome filler(right word?) story for the new 2017 movie! Love and Death make a bet about the Beast and Belle, and Death doesn't want to lose. So she tries to cheat and get Belle lost in and enchanted book. And in school, we read "the Hobbit"! Also, yesterday I finished "Mayhem", the third book in the "Lawless" trilogy be Jeffrey Salane. Lastly, very soon I'll pick up the 3rd book in the "Keeper of the Lost Cities" series! Just as soon as I finish all these school project......

Max

Staff member
Awards
I just finished reading the anniversary edition of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I freaking love that book. I'm currently making my way through the Alan Wake novelization.

Last edited:

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I'm about dig into The Bourbon Kings by JR Ward. I've been wanting to read it for a while and only recently did I come into some money to actually get it and the other two books in the trilogy.

Max

Staff member
Awards
I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks lately to fill the time driving to and from work, and as much as I didn't think I would like it, I'm really into it. Still nothing compared to holding a real book and turning the pages, but it's awesome to fill my driving time with these stories. Some audiobooks I've listened to recently were of books I've already read, and others were my first time going through, but I'll list everything I've listened to this past month:

Pet Sematary - by Stephen King
Norse Mythology - by Neil Gaiman
Breakfast at Tiffany's - by Truman Capote
Thirteen Reasons Why - by Jay Asher
Joyland - by Stephen King
Diane.: The Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper - by Lynch and Frost
Stardust - by Neil Gaiman

Stardust is actually the book I'm currently reading. I'm reading a hard copy of it at home and listening to it in the car, and I have about an hour and a half left of it.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Couple things actually.

Principles - Ray Dilao
On Power - Gene Simmons
The 10 Greatest Minds & Ideas of All Time - Will Durant

sephydark

Awards
Just finished The Alchemist The by Paulo Coelho. It's short and very inspiring/uplifting, so I recommend it to everyone.

Now I'm reading A Passage to India by E. M. Forster. Haven't actually made it as far as the plot yet, but it's a classic set in India under British rule.

Back