• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► KHI Book Club - What are you currently reading?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Kiba

Ours is the Fury
Awards
Re: KHI Book club - What are you currently reading?

Do you dislike these world-building books even if they develop the characters along with the world around them? Cause that's technically Game of Thrones does. It doesn't just focus on the world and throw the characters into the corner while it focuses on creating this world for the reader. Lord of the Rings did the same thing and really focused on story/characters while describing the world around them.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

just finished the gone series by michael grant. kind of like lord of the flies, except with superpowers

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Do you dislike these world-building books even if they develop the characters along with the world around them? Cause that's technically Game of Thrones does. It doesn't just focus on the world and throw the characters into the corner while it focuses on creating this world for the reader. Lord of the Rings did the same thing and really focused on story/characters while describing the world around them.
If it is balanced well enough, then no, I don't get annoyed, but usually a lot of books I see that a lot of my friends suggest to me are written in a way that turns me off almost instantly.

But there are books like you mentioned like, Princess Bride. Princess Bride was able to develop the world, characters, etc and managed to keep my attention and it's one of my favorite books and movie... It really depends.

just finished the gone series by michael grant. kind of like lord of the flies, except with superpowers

How was that? It sounds interesting.

I got some books yesterday in the mail. Sailor Moon 4 and 5, along with Nana 19 and 20 with The Alchemist. I'm reading the manga first but ugh I forgot how obsessed I get with Nana. I'm going towards that hiatus mark soon... I've been following Nana since I was in high school... Sailor Moon I actually haven't read start to finish so this is fun for me. I'm excited for the revamp coming soon. owo

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

If it is balanced well enough, then no, I don't get annoyed, but usually a lot of books I see that a lot of my friends suggest to me are written in a way that turns me off almost instantly.

But there are books like you mentioned like, Princess Bride. Princess Bride was able to develop the world, characters, etc and managed to keep my attention and it's one of my favorite books and movie... It really depends.

How was that? It sounds interesting.

I got some books yesterday in the mail. Sailor Moon 4 and 5, along with Nana 19 and 20 with The Alchemist. I'm reading the manga first but ugh I forgot how obsessed I get with Nana. I'm going towards that hiatus mark soon... I've been following Nana since I was in high school... Sailor Moon I actually haven't read start to finish so this is fun for me. I'm excited for the revamp coming soon. owo

have you ever heard of animorphs by ka applegate? she is the husband of michael grant the author of these books. anyway, the gone series is about a group of kids who get trapped under a dome with zero adults. they even gain superpowers. i wont spoil it for you if you decide to give it a try, but in my opinion, the series is an enjoyable read

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

have you ever heard of animorphs by ka applegate? she is the husband of michael grant the author of these books. anyway, the gone series is about a group of kids who get trapped under a dome with zero adults. they even gain superpowers. i wont spoil it for you if you decide to give it a try, but in my opinion, the series is an enjoyable read
Of course I've heard of Animorphs. I did a book report on the one with the rhino on the cover as a kid. owo

But yeah I'll look those up.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I just finished The Alchemist tonight. Definitely became one of my favorites. Very simple in its writing but very provocative and deep. I loved it. Probably going to write more later when I get home since I'm on my phone at work (kek) but, yes. Has anyone else read this book? I definitely suggest it. It is a VERY short read, my copy is 167 pages.

[edit after home!: nah i got nothin' i'll wait and see if anyone else has read it]

Next up for me is Battle Royale, which is 600+ pages so this is going to be the longest novel I'll be reading thusfar since January. Definitely looking forward to it though.

I also read the Toradora! manga tonight and I think I found a new slice of life to obsess over. I needed to check it out eventually right?

Last edited:

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

I just finished The Alchemist tonight. Definitely became one of my favorites. Very simple in its writing but very provocative and deep. I loved it. Probably going to write more later when I get home since I'm on my phone at work (kek) but, yes. Has anyone else read this book? I definitely suggest it. It is a VERY short read, my copy is 167 pages.

[edit after home!: nah i got nothin' i'll wait and see if anyone else has read it]

Next up for me is Battle Royale, which is 600+ pages so this is going to be the longest novel I'll be reading thusfar since January. Definitely looking forward to it though.

I also read the Toradora! manga tonight and I think I found a new slice of life to obsess over. I needed to check it out eventually right?

Heya! Toradora... IS AWESOME! Make sure you watch the anime as well! :3

I've been reading Eragon, the last book the Bringsir (Sp), is amazing! Also Ender's game! :3

As for manga, I've been re-reading Ouran High School, Hana Kimi and Lovely Complex.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards

Heya! Toradora... IS AWESOME! Make sure you watch the anime as well! :3 I've been reading Eragon, the last book the Bringsir (Sp), is amazing! Also Ender's game! :3 As for manga, I've been re-reading Ouran High School, Hana Kimi and Lovely Complex.
Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance. :3 He expanded from a trilogy to a "cycle". Just as a heads up to ya. ^^

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Hey guys, we have a manga thread where you can discuss which manga series you're reading.

I've been reading a book that my friend got for my birthday called Tilt by Ellen Hopkins. I used to really like her books a few years ago, but I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying this one. It's incredibly easy to speed read through though, given the "verse" format she writes in.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance. :3 He expanded from a trilogy to a "cycle". Just as a heads up to ya. ^^
OH YEAH! Sorry... I get mixed since I haven't been reading, I was in Inheritance when I had to stop. xD

@Taochan, sorry Tao! I'll remember that!

Besides the mix up, if I had to recommend two books for someone would be Ender's Game and Flowers for Algernon. :3

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I've heard that Ender's Game is basically the pinnacle of science fiction novels and I want to give it a try but I'm worried it's over hyped. You really enjoyed it, Aqua?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

/commence scifi hipster mode

Ender's Game is a fantastic novel, without a doubt, however I wouldn't deem it as anywhere near the pinnacle of sci-fi novels. It's got powerful and familiar themes in a futuristic, science-fiction setting, but the novel doesn't do a whole lot exploring sci-fi concepts. The sci-fi in Ender's Game is more coincidental than integral, so far as thematic content is concerned. Ringworld, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Foundation and the like are more down that avenue.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Friedrich Nietzsche

The Communist Manifesto, Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Ender's Game is a fantastic novel, without a doubt, however I wouldn't deem it as anywhere near the pinnacle of sci-fi novels. It's got powerful and familiar themes in a futuristic, science-fiction setting, but the novel doesn't do a whole lot exploring sci-fi concepts. The sci-fi in Ender's Game is more coincidental than integral, so far as thematic content is concerned. Ringworld, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Foundation and the like are more down that avenue.
Ender's Game's status as a great sci-fi book could be that it's enjoyable to just about anyone, rather than the usual sci-fi books getting ignored by people [like me owo].

That's just my assumption by what I've heard and what you said, though.

On another note, half way through Battle Royale, and after reading Hunger Games, I feel like I'm on a rant mode of some sort... Has anyone read both? They are still very similar but incredibly different at the same time. It's really interesting. While I say that I did enjoy The Hunger Games, I definitely like Battle Royale more, for multiple reasons.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

May I ask why?

Took the words right out of my mouth...

As for Flowers for Algernon,

For me the whole story was about innocence. The main character is someone with mental retardation, that decides to become a test subject; A medical procedure that makes him retain intelligence in some aspect. The whole book is written like a diary, you can see how his intelligence grows as you keep reading. At first, you see misspelling and childish writing, then as it keeps going, he starts to learn grammar, and keeps advancing. But while he may be getting more intelligent, his innocence seems to disappear, it's like the apple of Eden in some way. He loses himself with this intelligence to the point where he wasn't the man he was, happy and not a care in the world. Now he's cynical and cold-hearted... It's a good read!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

is anyone reading the kingdom keepers series? I've really wanted to hear a kh fan's opinion of it

Sorax 122

is anyone reading the kingdom keepers series? I've really wanted to hear a kh fan's opinion of it

I read the first book, it didn't strike the right note for me.

Right now I'm reading the Golden Compass. Has anyone read that? It's really well written and there is a good amount of detail that really paints an interesting world for the reader.

Sparks

gone

I read the first one. I enjoyed reading it because of all of the Disney information, but it was extremely easy. I read it in three hours, and I didn't read any of the others because I didn't feel interested in anymore of the series because the age group it's directed towards is children. I like to read books that aren't that easy. It's just my own personal opinion of the first one.

Right now I'm reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I love the concept, and I'm excited to keep reading it.

EDIT: My god I loved the Golden Compass. It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember that I loved that book and the sequel. I never read the third one though :/

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I read the first book, it didn't strike the right note for me.

Right now I'm reading the Golden Compass. Has anyone read that? It's really well written and there is a good amount of detail that really paints an interesting world for the reader.

Shame, the premise sounded so interesting due to it being similar to kh

you should read the sequels to the golden compass. The entire series is incredible

Back