• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHCHI/UX/Union X/Backcover should have come after KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
That may be true, but they don't take months to reach a conclusion. The nature of Union X/Chi/WHATEVER doesn't suit well for an actual important story, not the way it's currently laid out.

If we time travel back in time and pretend this game was originally meant to be important from the get go, it might've made more sense to make real story missions events separate from the hundreds of filler missions. It's kind of ridiculous to ask that players play hundreds of missions for a trickling amount of story that we know will end up being important later. We all had hopes that Backcover was going to summarize this and make the story available outside of the game, but it didn't even do that.

Again, I agree, we can't know how important this game is going to play into KH3, but I feel like they are reallyyyyyyy trying to push it into the fray. I just don't understand why, and I truly feel all of this should have been reserved for after KH3. Everyone is already invested in the Xehanort saga, it simply makes no sense to try to fit part of the Chi saga inside of it and extend it afterwards, not to this extent.

I'm crossing my fingers none of this has anything to do with KH3 whatsoever except the Keyblade War and Ven's past (which doesn't have to relate to Xehanort and can still be a mystery when Xehanort is gone), but now Maleficent is involved and there's no way she's not going to be important in KH3 somehow. She's the mistress of evil and has to show up and flail her soldier heartless.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm inclined to agree with this viewpoint actually.
While Chi's story is certainly intriguing, so far it does nothing but add more mystery and additional baggage to an ongoing saga that already has quite some baggage to address even without it.

I wouldn’t classify new plot points as baggage, they’re just ongoing stories. Yes, there’s absolutely no denying that Kingdom Hearts has had a narrative issue regarding open questions, but sometimes Nomura makes them open ended in order to entice discussion between fans. The benefit with Kingdom Hearts as a series is that the fans can feel a sense of investment because they can add their own ideas as to why things are, and see as to whether the answers play out as they initially theorised.

X Back Cover is like a giant teaser for Unchained/Union X with the only things relevant to the present being No Name Keyblade and that stupid box, the latter of which the audience gets to hear and see for the first time (never ever was there any mention of a weird box in KH 1, 2, BBS, Days, Coded or even DDD), so it is something thrown in with absolutely no foreshadowing and which has no actual relationship with Xehanort or any of our present day hero characters.

If this thread was solely about X Back Cover, then yes, I would be critising it to the ends of the earth. All X Back Cover did was give voices to the Fortellers, and gave a graphical showcase of Unreal Engine 4. X Back Cover felt like a forced advertisement for Unchained X at the time, and it’s such a shame of all the squandered potential the narrative had. I’d have loved to see the Keyblade War play out in that game, but as is, all it really did was pander to the X narrative far more than it should have.

Yea, indeed, that's what Chi's story should be doing to actually justify its supposed connection with KH III, but maybe this is the dilemma with it: Some if not the majority of the answers are supposed to be big boom answers in KH III so they have to be left out of Chi, yet this creates also content problems because there are other big boom answers fans and the audience expect to get from the build up of the other games in the series.

I’m not really concerned about that. In Dream Drop Distance, there were entries of all the Kingdom Hearts games that came before it. You can just easily read them to get the main points of said games. And this is coming from somebody who’s first ever Kingdom Hearts game they played was Dream Drop Distance. Kingdom Hearts III will be guaranteed to have something like that.

Or in short, Chi does what a certain portion of the KH fandom has always rightfully criticized and possibly even condemned, and that is opening new cans of worms while not even properly exploring those already opened beforehand. It adds an unneccessary new layer of complexity and "connections" that may serve to only further complicate the whole package instead of improving it. Not to mention it again adds to the already rather big pool of original characters who the series in itself has already problems paying satisfying attention to in terms of characterisation and story arcs (Riku being the only exception).

Actually, I’m inclined to believe that we’re getting a Chain of Memories/Kingdom Hearts II style transition in which certain key characters transfer over from the former game to the latter game. For example, Axel, Namine and Diz were heavily involved in both the plot of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II, however, for people who’ve never played Chain of Memories, they never felt alienated by the introduction of Axel, Namine and Diz because they had a re-introduction for Kingdom Hearts II. I feel that our “new” Kingdom Hearts III characters is going to be Ephemer, Skuld and Luxu (because he hints at surviving beyond the Keyblade War). They can get a re-introduction for Kingdom Hearts III and get involved with the Xehanort narrative.

The history of the Keyblade War is certainly an interesting story in itself for sure, but in all honesty what I am more interested in concerning KH III is the story of our present characters around Sora, Riku, Kairi, Terra, Aqua, Ventus and the main Disney crew who are in the conflict with Xehanort, to which the Keyblade War and Xehanort's obsession with it serves as a background information and motivation. Y'know, the story built up starting with KH 1 going over CoM, KH 2, BBS and then coming together in DDD.

To have the past and the actual Keyblade War intrude into the present day story just adds superfluous extra complexities and is likely just to satiate Nomura's unhealthy fixation on making things "surprising" resulting in "shocking" twists of a twist among three more twists which eventually makes you facepalm. ).

But the Keyblade War was already the core narrative point ever since Birth by Sleep, and in Dream Drop Distance, the context of the Keyblade War was solidified. The Keyblade War of the past has already been confirmed to be involved through the discussions that Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort had during the E3 2015 trailer. I don’t think that Nomura’s trying to pull an M. Night Shyamalan on us with twists, as opposed to make the story of Kingdom Hearts III more condensed. For instance, having Ventus origin story be explained in depth for Union X is much more beneficial for Kingdom Hearts III because then we don’t have to have cutscenes be backstory after backstory after backstory.

Granted, I have to admit that Ux is still running, but it is honestly doing so at a snail's pace using way too much filler material. Not to mention that Ux itself leaves so many things unexplained that it can become annoying for parts of the audience, it is opening more questions than giving answers, something that isn't really needed among all the open questions the series already has from previous setups made.

You have to remember that the format in which the game is presented is through a mobile application. They have to be designed differently in order to keep player retention. It’s not like a console game where you pay an upfront price with the complete package and the story can be completed at your own pace. Mobile games require a consistent user base throughout its active lifespan because active servers are designed to maintain it. So, in order to make that investment worthwhile, content has to be broken down in a “Snail’s pace”, otherwise there wouldn’t be enough interest in the application in the long run, which results it in the application being terminated.

Like we got only glimpses of the start and the early stages of the Keyblade War in Browser-Chi, the Aftermath in this blatant teaser scene in 0.2 and the very personal end for the player avatar, but nothing on the later stages, the actual end of the war or anything about the fate of the Foretellers.

We still got close to nothing about the supposed traitor-business, who the supposed real Seekers of Darkness and puppet masters behind the whole thing are, what Nightmare Chirithy's actual agenda is or how exactly the nature of the whole Unchained Realm is. ).

These plot points will be revealed in due time. Clearly, there’s more on the horizon that’s yet to be revealed, and I’m optimistic that a lot of these questions will be answered for Union X. And besides, wasn’t there a censored Kingdom Hearts III promotional image that had Sora petting a Fox?

t5p3tLWl.jpg

Heaping all that on KH III to solve alongside the setup already made by the other games does sound like overkill and I can understand when people become concerned about it.

As I mentioned earlier, I really do feel as though a lot of the plot points and current setups from the X narrative will be answered through Jiminy’s Journal, expository cutscenes and summaries of the previous games. That doesn’t change the fact that Nomura has indeed burdened Kingdom Hearts III with a lot to answer.

They need to do more studies and statistics on their player base so they can stop making these same mistakes once the Xehanort saga is over.

I stress this, matter of fact, make it an international survey. Kingdom Hearts has been consistently shown to sell best in the United States as opposed to Japan. Most of the survey’s I’ve seen seem to be Japanese exclusive, make the survey’s international so that result can be more generalised.

I personally would have prefered Chi/Ux to be canon, BUT not tie into the main series in any significant way. Just something that happened long ago in the same universe, maybe some little references to it in KH3 like easter eggs and stuff that only those who played it will get, but I don't really like the fact that it seems to be telling actually important stuff. But I think this has something to do with Nomura thinking that people won't find characters (or anything else apparently) interesting unless it's tied directly to the existing cast. Like with him being surprised Aqua was so popular despite having no connections (back then....).

As I mentioned earlier, if it never told important stuff, the install base for the game would be far lower. We do have to remember that this is a video game application and not an interactive storybook. Player retention has to be maintained for this application in the long run, and the easiest way to achieve that is by making it relevant to Kingdom Hearts III. Plus, it also streamlines Kingdom Hearts III’s story by having certain plot points be more expanded in this game as opposed to over-loading Kingdom Hearts III with expository story that doesn’t move the core KH3 narrative forward.

Because of a lack of time, I will just sign this post.
I'm forced to be interested, instead of being given a good reason.

Reason I'm not interested in general is the shit kind of way that SE gives us this story. I'm sorry, mobile games that take forever are a very bad way to keep the fans on the line.

I’d vehemently disagree on that. If the story of Union X wasn’t as bitesized as it is, we’d have far more droughts with Kingdom Hearts news. Plus, the story of Union X has divulged into its own sub-narrative. Sure, it has connections to Kingdom Hearts III, but the connections aren’t so detrimental that it’ll make Kingdom Hearts III impossible to approach, and with the format that the story’s presented in, it’s far more concise and consistent. Despite all of the narrative changes that have occurred with the story of X, the story still flows really well, and a part of that is because of the time provided to the story, and the way it gets released.

That may be true, but they don't take months to reach a conclusion. The nature of Union X/Chi/WHATEVER doesn't suit well for an actual important story, not the way it's currently laid out.

The thing is, Union X is not going to reach a conclusion anytime soon. I have a good feeling that the conclusion of the game is going to be around the same time as Kingdom Hearts III releases, after all, the last thing that Disney and Square Enix wants is to have fans not get Kingdom Hearts III because they’re too occupied with finishing Union X.

If we time travel back in time and pretend this game was originally meant to be important from the get go, it might've made more sense to make real story missions events separate from the hundreds of filler missions. It's kind of ridiculous to ask that players play hundreds of missions for a trickling amount of story that we know will end up being important later. We all had hopes that Backcover was going to summarize this and make the story available outside of the game, but it didn't even do that.

With the changes that Union X brought, you can now view cutscenes for every story mission that you’ve completed. And besides, you don’t have to technically “play” said story missions because KHInsider does the wonderful job of doing that for us and condensing it to story cutscenes. As I mentioned earlier, X Back Cover is the biggest sinner out of all the X iterations because it had the least validity to exist in the first place.

We can't know how important this game is going to play into KH3, but I feel like they are reallyyyyyyy trying to push it into the fray. I just don't understand why, and I truly feel all of this should have been reserved for after KH3. Everyone is already invested in the Xehanort saga, it simply makes no sense to try to fit part of the Chi saga inside of it and extend it afterwards, not to this extent.

I'm crossing my fingers none of this has anything to do with KH3 whatsoever except the Keyblade War and Ven's past (which doesn't have to relate to Xehanort and can still be a mystery when Xehanort is gone), but now Maleficent is involved and there's no way she's not going to be important in KH3 somehow. She's the mistress of evil and has to show up and flail her soldier heartless.

I think that Xehanort’s story and the Keyblade War during The Age of Fairy Tales are two entirely different beasts. Xehanort’s story is reserved for all of the console Kingdom Hearts games, whilst the X saga can focus on the history of The Keyblade War. Sure, the Keyblade War of the past has connections to Kingdom Hearts III, but it’s an Apples to Oranges situation. I don’t feel as though the X narrative is “forcing” its way into Kingdom Hearts III because the connections are minimal.

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Well, let's agree to disagree then. I definitely feel that adding more and more and more new plot points before solving the existing ones is baggage. Also, I kinda feel that "well it's better to tell this stuff in Ux rather than in KH3 so that it doesn't distract from the core plot of KH3" just makes me feel even more that the whole plot wouldn't even be needed at all. I agree, all this stuff happening in Ux shouldn't be in KH3. A lot of things shouldn't be there. That doesn't mean they should be anywhere else either. In my opinion, the Ux plot as it is has sooo much unnecessary stuff going on. KH3 has enough to carry it with just the plot we got from DDD. I feel this wasn't needed. So yeah, I disagree that the only way to make Ux interesting is to add connections to KH3. And neither of us can really claim that "the majority of people" feels one way or the other about that, since there are no polls about it. So all we have our own opinions on it. We don't know if people would play the game more or less if it had a stand-alone, good, well made plot instead of what we have.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
If I remember correctly, the original [Chi] had plenty of people playing it before story stuff came into play. I'm sure there are many KH fans and non-KH fans who do play our would have played [Chi]/Unchained/UnionX without the need to adding important story elements into it.

Again, this is an ongoing mistake Nomura keeps making. Don't stick important stuff in some games to make the fanbase play them. Stop spreading the story so wide when it's unnecessary. People who really like the game will play the game whether it's story relevant or not. People shouldn't be forced to play through countless missions or watch youtube videos that they probably wouldn't know exists just to get a full scope of a mobile game that might play into one of the biggest anticipated KH games of all time.

Aren't we all tired to trying to tell people what is important and what isn't, and trying to convince them to read or watch things so that they aren't confused in a future title? I am.

This complaint of mine wouldn't even exist if UnionX had been saved for after KH3 because hey, we're getting NEW story stuff now that Xehanort is gone. Now we're getting new story stuff when Xehanort is still around and are trying to figure out how it's all going to fit into one game called KH3. Nomura is giving himself more stress than he needs to.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
If I remember correctly, the original [Chi] had plenty of people playing it before story stuff came into play. I'm sure there are many KH fans and non-KH fans who do play our would have played [Chi]/Unchained/UnionX without the need to adding important story elements into it.
You're wrong here though, there was story in x[chi] from day one: Daybreak Town, the 5 Foretellers and their Keyblades plus Chirithy. It wasn't clear if it was canon or not, but it was new content none the less.

Without it, there wouldn't have been new content for years and while it seems you would have been fine with that, others were certainly not.

In my opinion KHX has a much better story than Dream Drop Distance for example and overall is not much more repetitive than Days or Re:coded.
Don't get me wrong though, I still think the gameplay is lacking enormously, mostly due it being freemium crap, and while the story is interesting it always add more questions instead of answering them. Even after over three years, one game discontinued and an 100 minute movie, the whole setting is not completely revealed yet.

Maybe there will be some sort of Final Mix iteration of the game that adds better gameplay and shortens the filler so you all can really appreciate the title for what it is.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
You're wrong here though, there was story in x[chi] from day one: Daybreak Town, the 5 Foretellers and their Keyblades plus Chirithy. It wasn't clear if it was canon or not, but it was new content none the less.

Without it, there wouldn't have been new content for years and while it seems you would have been fine with that, others were certainly not.

In my opinion KHX has a much better story than Dream Drop Distance for example and overall is not much more repetitive than Days or Re:coded.
Don't get me wrong though, I still think the gameplay is lacking enormously, mostly due it being freemium crap, and while the story is interesting it always add more questions instead of answering them. Even after over three years, one game discontinued and an 100 minute movie, the whole setting is not completely revealed yet.

Maybe there will be some sort of Final Mix iteration of the game that adds better gameplay and shortens the filler so you all can really appreciate the title for what it is.

I'm talking about the story parts relevant to KH3.

I don't mind the story of [Chi] itself. I like that it was telling a story of the past (the Keyblade War) and was its own self contained thing. I like the foretellers and Ephemera and Skuld and Chirithy and it's all very interesting on its own. I always wanted to know the story of the Keyblade War, and if they ever made a movie of Kingdom Hearts, I wanted it to be the story of the Keyblade War.

The problem I have is tying the mystery of the past to KH3 (possibly). I wish they would have dropped the big "OOO, THIS PLOT WILL BE RELEVANT TO THE FUTURE" bits of story for after KH3. I wish they would have waited to bring Chi into the real plot for after KH3 and reserve a whole saga for it. The current saga has too much going on already.

Because the mysteries of [Chi] are being tied to the current sage or will be saved for the saga after Xehanort, the movie I always wanted was left on a cliff hanger and the movie itself barely explained anything. Instead of a more focused game gameplay wise, we're stuck with trickling plot points every now and then. I just wanted [Chi]/Backcover/whatever to be a more focused and condensed adventure.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Eh, I kind of feel like it's forced interest for me. I'm forced to follow the story because the characters are now tied to it, but that doens't mean I like it. I could very much be interested in the story simply because it's good and interesting, but instead it's just... well, I have to.

The whole plot is so confusing, I still have no idea what is the connection between Chi and Ux, there are the foretellers, but now there's suddenly new union leaders? Nothing is focused on enough, there's just waaay too much going on and new things happening before the old ones are wrapped up. Everything is just jumping all over the place and getting convoluted. For me it's not as much "wow this character I like is here, oh boy am I now hooked to the story and feel a connection", it's more "oh boy do I hope they find a way to somehow explain this in a way that makes some sense and isn't dumb... guess this will be important in the future so I'll have to pay attention". Like... yeah? I follow the story, but that doesn't mean I like it or think it's good. Just because I'm interested in X doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer Y if I had the choice.

Buut that's just me.

"Forced interest", that's a good moniker to describe it, lol.
I've already said it and I can only repeat it once more: The story of the X[chi]-era in itself is already intriguing and exciting on its own. It is about a totally different era in the same universe as the main KH series, it doesn't need the forced connections to the pre-existing cast to be interesting!

personally i think khux's story was more interesting than kh3's. i care about the foretellers, the master, ephemera, skuld, etc. and am more interested in them than i have ever been interested in xehanort and his gang of lackeys.

Certainly a valid stance and I dare to propose that it actually underlines/supports my previous assertion: The X-era story is fine on its own, it doesn't need the forced direct connection to KH III and the current cast to be viable and enjoyable.

I wouldn’t classify new plot points as baggage, they’re just ongoing stories. Yes, there’s absolutely no denying that Kingdom Hearts has had a narrative issue regarding open questions, but sometimes Nomura makes them open ended in order to entice discussion between fans. The benefit with Kingdom Hearts as a series is that the fans can feel a sense of investment because they can add their own ideas as to why things are, and see as to whether the answers play out as they initially theorised.
What else should one call stuff that gets heaped on top of already ongoing stories from beforehand? The problem lies not with the X-era story bringing up its own mysteries and plot points, the problem lies with the fact that these mysteries and plot points do not remain localized to the X-era's narrative.
The problem is also not with Nomura liking open ended things to entice discussion, the problem is that Nomura overdoes it with this and instead of having maybe two handful of open ended things to discuss the audience gets a whole tangled web of them.
There is a thing of doing too much for it to be good, and frankly considering how it was handled series-wide beforehand I am not confident in the prospect of how this will eventually play out.

If this thread was solely about X Back Cover, then yes, I would be critising it to the ends of the earth. All X Back Cover did was give voices to the Fortellers, and gave a graphical showcase of Unreal Engine 4. X Back Cover felt like a forced advertisement for Unchained X at the time, and it’s such a shame of all the squandered potential the narrative had. I’d have loved to see the Keyblade War play out in that game, but as is, all it really did was pander to the X narrative far more than it should have.

I’m not really concerned about that. In Dream Drop Distance, there were entries of all the Kingdom Hearts games that came before it. You can just easily read them to get the main points of said games. And this is coming from somebody who’s first ever Kingdom Hearts game they played was Dream Drop Distance. Kingdom Hearts III will be guaranteed to have something like that.
Or to make an allegory: X Back Cover was like Roxas' prologue from KH II without the rest of the game attached.

Yea, because the fanbase is certainly known for reading always the available massive journal texts nor is that approach really an effective one to make the average person care for the overaching narrative.

Actually, I’m inclined to believe that we’re getting a Chain of Memories/Kingdom Hearts II style transition in which certain key characters transfer over from the former game to the latter game. For example, Axel, Namine and Diz were heavily involved in both the plot of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II, however, for people who’ve never played Chain of Memories, they never felt alienated by the introduction of Axel, Namine and Diz because they had a re-introduction for Kingdom Hearts II. I feel that our “new” Kingdom Hearts III characters is going to be Ephemer, Skuld and Luxu (because he hints at surviving beyond the Keyblade War). They can get a re-introduction for Kingdom Hearts III and get involved with the Xehanort narrative.

What exactly do you mean with "heavily involved" though? Naminé and DiZ disappear completely from the narrative of KH II after Roxas' prologue and do not reappear until some glorified cameos in the final world.
There wasn't exactly much for the newbies playing KH II to be "alienated" from because these characters were pushed to the background for 90% of the available screentime.

See, and that's the thing. Why on earth do we need Ephemer, Skuld and Luxu getting involved with the Xehanort narrative? Don't we already have a cast big enough involved with the whole conflict that started since KH I as it is?
We have Sora, Riku and Kairi, we have Terra, Aqua and Ventus, we have the Disney crew, the ex-members of the first Organisation, possibly Eraqus, Ansem the Wise and Lea, then Naminé, Roxas and Xion might also getting squeezed in somewhere so more characters is actually the least KH III's story needs I'd say.
As sad as it may be, so far the writing staff of the KH series has proven that they're too stupid to properly use a bigger cast of characters and do them justice, yet all they seem to do is further inflate the cast before properly using the assets they already have.

But the Keyblade War was already the core narrative point ever since Birth by Sleep, and in Dream Drop Distance, the context of the Keyblade War was solidified. The Keyblade War of the past has already been confirmed to be involved through the discussions that Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort had during the E3 2015 trailer. I don’t think that Nomura’s trying to pull an M. Night Shyamalan on us with twists, as opposed to make the story of Kingdom Hearts III more condensed. For instance, having Ventus origin story be explained in depth for Union X is much more beneficial for Kingdom Hearts III because then we don’t have to have cutscenes be backstory after backstory after backstory.
Correction, it is a narrative point correlating to Xehanort's motivation and serving as a backdrop for the actions he takes, but it was never a core plot point important to the current era's cast of characters. It was only with DDD that a shift started, but also still in the confines of "background story" serving as motivation for present events.
It wasn't until Unchained/Union X that there are actual direct correlations and connections between the eras made and the whole (stupid) prophecy bullshit came in, as the discussion between Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort in the KH III Trailer can still serve the whole background narrative stance without having actual past elements of the war-era intrude on the present story.

Or most likely have most people simply not care for Ven's origin story at all because it wasn't explored in the actual main medium or is delegated to just some text elements in the journal in KH III.
I'm in this fandom for quite a while actually, by now I know how a big part of it ticks.

You have to remember that the format in which the game is presented is through a mobile application. They have to be designed differently in order to keep player retention. It’s not like a console game where you pay an upfront price with the complete package and the story can be completed at your own pace. Mobile games require a consistent user base throughout its active lifespan because active servers are designed to maintain it. So, in order to make that investment worthwhile, content has to be broken down in a “Snail’s pace”, otherwise there wouldn’t be enough interest in the application in the long run, which results it in the application being terminated.

These plot points will be revealed in due time. Clearly, there’s more on the horizon that’s yet to be revealed, and I’m optimistic that a lot of these questions will be answered for Union X. And besides, wasn’t there a censored Kingdom Hearts III promotional image that had Sora petting a Fox?

t5p3tLWl.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, I really do feel as though a lot of the plot points and current setups from the X narrative will be answered through Jiminy’s Journal, expository cutscenes and summaries of the previous games. That doesn’t change the fact that Nomura has indeed burdened Kingdom Hearts III with a lot to answer.
Which then, I can only reiterate, is an unfit medium to tell this kind of story when it is meant to connect to the rest of the overaching series, or as Kirabook stated:

Spreading out the story over different mediums was always a rightfully criticized problem of this series, and by perpetuating it further they're only aggravating the situation and getting people more annoyed because of all the extra stuff they have to read/watch to get a more full picture.
That's NOT good story telling by far.

All the stuff truly important for KH III should have been in X Back Cover for those who either can't or don't want to follow an online app with a snail's pace of story, period, and not like Nomura mentions here:
Famitsu about 2.8 said:
- That's just one instance where we can see the connection between those two stories... In [KHxBC], we catch a glimpse at the human side of each Foreteller, which wasn't evident in [KHx] or in [KHUx] and it was refreshing.

Nomura: It's the first time hearing the voices of those that appear in [KHxBC], and for the people that haven't played [KHx] or [KHUx], then this is also the first time ever meeting them. Being a bit short of an hour, during this restricted time, I had to be careful to display their individuality, and have the player feel a sense of attachment and empathy toward them. Now, it should be noted that [KHxBC] is a story about the Foretellers and the events that occurred behind the scenes, so for the parts of the story which are important and connected to the main story, including the Keyblade War, I have separated the story telling of that into [KHx] and [KHUx], which can only be experienced by playing them.

"The parts of the story which are important and connected to the main story", lol, with that statement bolded above Nomura essentially denoted that X Back Cover is in the wider image unimportant and is again spreading the story despite originally stating that he was "concerned" with the story being so spread out and the ReMixes being an attempt to exactly remedy this.

I think that Xehanort’s story and the Keyblade War during The Age of Fairy Tales are two entirely different beasts. Xehanort’s story is reserved for all of the console Kingdom Hearts games, whilst the X saga can focus on the history of The Keyblade War. Sure, the Keyblade War of the past has connections to Kingdom Hearts III, but it’s an Apples to Oranges situation. I don’t feel as though the X narrative is “forcing” its way into Kingdom Hearts III because the connections are minimal.

Well, if it would really be as you say here, there would be no direct connections between these narratives at all and considering the build up, Nomura's telling statement above and the fact that it was stated somewhere that X's and III's story are developed "parallel to each other" it does come over as much more than just "minimal" connections.

Kirabook said:
The problem I have is tying the mystery of the past to KH3 (possibly). I wish they would have dropped the big "OOO, THIS PLOT WILL BE RELEVANT TO THE FUTURE" bits of story for after KH3. I wish they would have waited to bring Chi into the real plot for after KH3 and reserve a whole saga for it. The current saga has too much going on already.

This is practically the main gist of the thing and the whole problem I see with the whole thing as well.
It is not about that the Xehanort narrative or the X-narrative are better or inferior to each other, they're both interesting and enticing to follow, but about them being thrown together to create an even bigger mess which hampers the whole thing.

DefiantHeart

Awards
it'll likely be about six years between the release of KH3D and KHIII.

can you imagine if we didn't have a new kh game at all during that time?

oof.

Ikr? XD I really needed the game for personal reasons myself too, mostly for handling my depression. I think Union X and Backcover are just storylines that they want chu to keep in mind as chu play KH 3, as it might contain certain things that would'nt make sense otherwise. Then after KH 3, it'll probably go into more detail on Union X and have the updates then. ( Also I'm sure business reasons too, Square Enix probably breathing down on Nomura's neck to rush out the next KH game for more money.)

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
Because the mysteries of [Chi] are being tied to the current sage or will be saved for the saga after Xehanort, the movie I always wanted was left on a cliff hanger and the movie itself barely explained anything. Instead of a more focused game gameplay wise, we're stuck with trickling plot points every now and then. I just wanted [Chi]/Backcover/whatever to be a more focused and condensed adventure.

You're right of course, although I think that the movie didn't explain much because they simply wanted to milk the mobile game more, not to keep these secrets until KH3.
We already know the Master of Masters won't appear in KH3, so there is hope it won't affect KH3 as much as we think it will.

D

Deleted member 246005

Without knowing how KH3 uses Backover's lore we can't say for sure if KH3 should have come out before Backover. However there seems to be alot of jaded fans who are annoyed at the road to Kingdom Hearts 3 approach so this seems to be another iteration of that.

I think some people are just fed up with waiting for so long they lost excitement for kingdom hearts 3 and are more frustrated with what came in between.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I think some people are just fed up with waiting for so long they lost excitement for kingdom hearts 3 and are more frustrated with what came in between.

Understatement of the decade. I feel as though the intentional drought of Kingdom Hearts news has lead hardcore fans to be more pessimistic of Union X because that's the only active Kingdom Hearts media right now.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I truly don't mind waiting for KH3. I must be the most patient person ever because I'm not in a rush to play it. I don't get truly excited for games until they're right around the corner (ok, 0.2 was an exception)

I'm more concerned that the game I get is going to be received badly because too many people about this mobile game yet and they could have spent their marketing efforts more wisely after KH3 to retain the KH fans until the next installment. Right now it's pushing people away because it's adding yet another level of plot that we just don't need yet.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
i dont really see khux pushing anyone away. most people don't know about it for it to affect them at all. and so far, we know so little about kh3 and how khux even connects to it that it is hard to even say that khux is required knowledge anyway (nor do we know how kh3 will be handling the issue of dealing with new players either).

basically, at this point, it's kinda too early to actually say whether or not it would have been better before or after kh3 or completely separate from it because we don't know the particulars of both kh3's story and it. like, so far the only thing that we REALLY know that connects directly to kh3 is that someone is looking for the Box. the rest is mostly just backstory kind of stuff and the assumption of fans that it will all be important. for all we know, no one from khux even appears at all in kh3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back