• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH3D Battle System

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

billyzanesucks

So, from what we've seen with the 3D impressions, let's discuss the direction of this interesting new gameplay.
For those who don't know, the battle system is pretty much the same as that of Re:Coded. But Y can also be used to activate a new addition: Dual Links. One thing you can do is use 'Holy Rope', which, once coming into contact with one of the several nodes throughout an area, will allow you to draw lines between points on the map using the touchscreen. This then sets them rocketing along that set course. Also, Riku can literally fly, at least in a fight with one of the bosses. Discuss what you think of this interesting gameplay aspect.

EDIT: Actually, Y is for the 'free-flow action' and the touch screen is used for Dual Links. Also, A+X for Reality Shift, the thing that allows you to use Holy Rope.

Last edited:

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Seems like a refined version of the BBS battle system which is fine by me.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
As long as they fix the camera angle issues I'm hearing about, I'm pumped for a more refined BBS battle system.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
here is a detailed description of Rikus demo from Silconera.

Riku, who has a new look with short hair, begins the Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance demo in the Hunchback of Notre Dame world. He sees Quasimoto clutching an injured Esmeralda. As soon as I got control of Riku, I ran into weak enemies and hit them by pressing A for a basic attack. The other attack changes depending on which moves you have in a deck. You can rotate through spells like Dark Fire, Cura, and Blizzaga plus techniques such as Dark Breaker by pressing up and down on the D-pad. The slide pad makes your character move, B is for jump, and L/R rotate the camera.

I figured it wasn’t worth fighting vanilla monsters with Esmeralda wounded, so I ran straight to the next area. A mini-map on the bottom screen lets you know where to go and it’s possible, at least in the Tokyo Game Show demo, to run past enemies.

You have to fight bosses and Riku’s side has a purple-ish lizard with a square torso. Maybe it’s something like a purple dragon bursting out form a colorful cardboard box. The monster flies all around the screen, which may have been a challenge in previous Kingdom Hearts games, but not Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. Riku can fly too by holding B and has no problem hovering in the air.

I flew towards the boss prepared to use Dark Breaker and noticed a bunch of nodes encircling the battlefield. Hit one of these and you can connect the nodes by drawing lines on the touch screen. This sends Riku barreling on the path you created, useful for closing distance when you’re up against tough monsters. All of the flying and high speed action made Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance feel like it has a touch of Dragon Ball Z.

I beat the boss by using basic attacks and waiting from the monster to think its closing in on me. After I defeated it a Wondernyan, a puppy like dream pet you can control, showed up and wagged its tail before the screen that thanked people for playing the game. We’ll talk more about partner characters when we share impressions of Sora’s story later this week.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
^ thanks for the description rokudamia, I haven't seen a really in depth description yet so it is nice to have one finally lol xP Also, I'm quite glad that this is similar to the BbS gameplay system because I think SE has finally found a nice gameplay format they'll stick with for Kingdom Hearts.

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
isnt the x button for the acrobatic moves?

tgssqex_20110915_14.jpg

is there a translation for this?

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards
I posted Siliconera's impressions in a new thread but that was when the forum was down. That article has been out at Siliconera for several hours but the KHI front page still has yet to mention it. I think it goes into more depth than most of the other ones so I think they really should post it there.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
As long as they fix the camera angle issues I'm hearing about, I'm pumped for a more refined BBS battle system.

I think the camera issue is the same as it was with BBS. Where, when you move too fast, the camera doesn't catch up.
The Slider Add-On will probably fix that by giving manual control on the 2nd Slider. Or, R2/L2 (play preference, probably, like in kH2).

kupo1121

Awards
I think the camera issue is the same as it was with BBS. Where, when you move too fast, the camera doesn't catch up.
The Slider Add-On will probably fix that by giving manual control on the 2nd Slider. Or, R2/L2 (play preference, probably, like in kH2).

If that is the case, I will definitely invest in the $20 it costs for the peripheral. Considering some other games are bound to use it...I think it'll be worth it.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

According to the following snippet from IGN's impressions:

"At this point the game's biggest hindrance is that it's almost too chaotic and too fast. Having Sora surge forward for an all-out assault is a sight to behold... until you can't see him because the camera can't keep up or doesn't know how to properly track the action. L and R can rotate the camera, and there is a lock-on system which definitely helps, but I ran into several instances where the game wasn't quite sure how to deal with the constant wall-jumping. "

I think the game has issues with the wall jumping and pole swing mechanics rather than commands. I'm still wondering how those nodes will wrong. If we have to draw a path for them to send us flying, won't that interrupt the gamplay?

In terms of the slider, I'm hoping it will be compatible with the 3DS Lite which I'm assuming will have a second analog stick built in.

kupo1121

Awards
In terms of the slider, I'm hoping it will be compatible with the 3DS Lite which I'm assuming will have a second analog stick built in.

I doubt the slider will be compatible with the new 3DS considering the new 3DS will already have 2 analog sticks...so having 3 would just be ridiculous. If you are asking whether the game would be compatible with the two new analog sticks on the new 3DS...that would be obviously yes...

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

"At this point the game's biggest hindrance is that it's almost too chaotic and too fast. Having Sora surge forward for an all-out assault is a sight to behold... until you can't see him because the camera can't keep up or doesn't know how to properly track the action. L and R can rotate the camera, and there is a lock-on system which definitely helps, but I ran into several instances where the game wasn't quite sure how to deal with the constant wall-jumping. "

I wasn't talking about the commands themselves, but rather the speed they brought. Quite frequently would a character speed across the screen and the camera barely move.

I think the game has issues with the wall jumping and pole swing mechanics rather than commands. I'm still wondering how those nodes will wrong. If we have to draw a path for them to send us flying, won't that interrupt the gamplay?

Probably won't require to move precision.
Or, time will freeze during that time.

Erm, what?
If the 3DS Lite, if that happens, has the 2nd Slider built in, why would you want it to be compatible with the 2nd Slider Attachment?

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards

Yeah, I was hoping the quick, flashy movement would be done like the quickmove in Dissidia.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Erm, what?
If the 3DS Lite, if that happens, has the 2nd Slider built in, why would you want it to be compatible with the 2nd Slider Attachment?

WOOPS. I DUN'D GOOFED. What I meant to say is that I hope KH 3D will be compatible with the 3D's second analog stick. Most of the time if new additions/tweaks/peripherals are added, they aren't backwards compatible with older games.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
so from the video we saw riku got a lot goin on he can use at least the standard magic set inall gmaes now
flash step or teleport so blad charge mooves, hes even faster then before i think i dont think they used the new action moove though

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
This may very well be the best KH battle system to date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back