• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH3 was just three original worlds away from surpassing 2FM.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WizardHazard

-A fully expanded Twilight Town with Seifer and the gang, would have given meaning for the quest to find Roxas, we could have retraced his journey from KH2, looking for the mysteries as he once did, hell this could have even taken place in the OTHER Twilight Town rather than the real one.

-A midgame event in Radiant Garden, would have made the pacing the story feel much better and fighting off Organisation rejects such as Demyx or Vexen in order to turn them to our side could've been cool rather than having them betray the org on their own. You could have fit FF characters there and maybe a Maleficent/Pete encounter too.

-A fully expanded Scala, yea the DLC did make it better but It's still no TWTNW.

Others things that could've helped for KH3 to surpass KH2

-Pete boss battles, I loved how Pete was involved in Olympus and Timelesss River in KH2, he was a comicrelief but also a decent villain, it made the world feel ALIVE, here he does nothing the whole game, same for Maleficent

-Accessible Mysterious Tower/Destiny islands : There's no work to be done for SE here, Mysterious Tower was shown in trailers and Destiny Islands were modelized during 0.8, they could have made these small zones available with pretty much no effort.

With these changes 3FM would have surpassed 2FM, the gameplay is arguably better with the recent patch, the quality of bosses from LimitCut/Secret Episode surpasses KH2's data fights and LW.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
More original worlds in base KH3 woulda helped a lot. As it stands they're a complete joke in the game. Sucks that data greeting gives you a tease at what coulda been.

I don't understand why they cut out Mysterious Tower. Even if it was just a minor playable section, the more world diversity the better.

AegisXIII

Awards
I was frustrated at first, like really frustrated, thinking that the conclusion is not a good conclusion.

But then I realised that this is not a conclusion and that there will be a great shift in the following titles. I am pretty sure that this will be less Disney blockbuser and more final fantasy worlds. And that's where radiant garden will be able to shine. Don't forget, we still have to understand what were the weird experiments that Ansem did with Subject X.

As for Disney, I feel that their movies slowed down the development process a lot as they were very protective of them. You can feel that you cannot attack disney villains (and that's not SE choice). So I think that Disney will still be there, but more with original worlds and default characters like Mickey,YenSid etc., but no more Disney movie (or way less).

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
(just as an aside I really enjoy KH3 immensely)
But just in the interest of contemplating what-ifs for the fun of it...

-A fully expanded Twilight Town with Seifer and the gang, would have given meaning for the quest to find Roxas, we could have retraced his journey from KH2, looking for the mysteries as he once did, hell this could have even taken place in the OTHER Twilight Town rather than the real one.
-A midgame event in Radiant Garden, would have made the pacing the story feel much better and fighting off Organisation rejects such as Demyx or Vexen in order to turn them to our side could've been cool rather than having them betray the org on their own. You could have fit FF characters there and maybe a Maleficent/Pete encounter too.

I don't think the Vexen stuff would feel cool to me, honestly. I like that Vexen wanted to betray them on his own. It gave his character motivation, depth and purpose. Beating them back to our side is a little...cliche to say the least. Also, if this "midpoint" event happened before the Carribean, Vexen's appearance in that world would require an overhaul.

Honestly, what I think would have been nice and would have given everyone some breathing room in a mid section without significantly overhauling stuff is rewrite/expand the segment involving Winnie the Pooh. Have something go wrong with the book on the outside as well as the inside. Let this be the reason for us to have to go around Twilight Town, in order to fix the book up. Then, on the way of doing that, we can have Sora triggering Roxas' memories around town and dealing with Seifer etc. I think having this search spaced out from the initial visit would be nice, too, because it would have given "time" for Hayner Pence and Olette to do their own searching and have a chance to meet back up with Sora and report what they've found.

Anyway then, maybe after Sora fixes the book up he could deliver the book to Radient Garden and (possibly) run into Kairi and Lea. This would give them some extra scenes. Alternatively, after spending a bunch of time feeling Roxas' presence all around Twilight Town maybe spurs Sora to want to see Ienzo in person and see if there can be anything more to be done about him. Any number of things could happen here, but I think even just a few short events like this would also go a long way to feel like it is a longer "midpoint" and also make Pooh feel a bit less random and short. It could also be a chance to actually give some significance to Lexaeus and Xaldin (the former who obviously has something he wants to say to Roxas).

I don't necessarily feel like the game is lacking not having any of those, but it would have been interesting for something like that to have been included.

-A fully expanded Scala, yea the DLC did make it better but It's still no TWTNW.

I don't understand this one to be fair. TWTNW honestly isn't THAT expansive. It's a few straight corridors with absolutely no exploration whatsoever. Yes, it is mysterious and cool but I bet what makes it feel like a great final world to people is because you get plot points, important scenes and fights happening as you progress up the castle. If that's the case people really should stop comparing Scala specifically to TWTNW. I get that people want an expanded Scala, I did as well, but they are not 1 for 1 in terms of purpose. Scala is the final save spot before the final boss. It's not meant to be the "final world". In KH2 terms its essentially that final save spot before you go and poke the doors to go fight Xemnas. That's what Scala is. The entirety of the Keyblade graveyard + The final world + Scala is KH3's TWTNW. And honestly all of that blows TWTNW out of the water.

GreyouTT

Awards
As for Disney, I feel that their movies slowed down the development process a lot as they were very protective of them.

This is literally what happened.

“For each different world we had to deal with a different team,” explains Nomura, “and [plotting] was largely down to what their feelings were on what they wanted to happen. There were some teams that were like, ‘Ooh, if you make a new story, you're going to kind of ruin the world that we created,’ whereas there were teams, like Toy Story, who said to us, ‘Well, we can't have it in that world, but if you want to make a new story, that's fine.’”

2 quid is good

Awards
The entirety of the Keyblade graveyard + The final world + Scala is KH3's TWTNW. And honestly all of that blows TWTNW out of the water.

Can't say I agree at all. KBG was really small in scale, and of the few great things about it (the Light of the Past and the Final World) there were just as many middling to downright awful - even by KH standards - parts to it. There's nothing as offensively bad as the Terranort murking everyone cutscenes in KH2 to me, even if in terms of scale TWTNW feels quite a bit smaller than KBG -> Final World -> KBG -> Scala, as it's just Sora and Riku in the former, It's tighter and doesn't screw up characterisations. Xemnas was also a way better villain then than any of the punch clock fellas we have now, save for Xigbar I guess. And I suppose Xehanort is kinda menacing too but a lot of that is holdover from previous games. He rarely has anything to do with Sora personally in KH3.

Gahh I dunno, I don't see how KH fans can so easily argue against the inclusion of the best parts of the series. It's insane to me.

AegisXIII

Awards
Keyblade graveyard is missing random heartless encounter. That's the problem. There could have added them after the fights agains the organisation members.

drew0512

Awards
Gahh I dunno, I don't see how KH fans can so easily argue against the inclusion of the best parts of the series. It's insane to me.
Because people have different opinions and care about different things. You think these are the best parts of the series and you also care a lot about FF characters, whereas other people couldn't possibly care less. Some people even want KH without Disney despite Disney being what makes KH, well, KH.

2 quid is good

Awards
Because people have different opinions and care about different things. You think these are the best parts of the series and you also care a lot about FF characters, whereas other people couldn't possibly care less. Some people even want KH without Disney despite Disney being what makes KH, well, KH.
Even if people prefer the disney side of things, I find it astonishing to claim that the original worlds should be reduced to such a small role when everything of importance occurs there, and they're by far the most fleshed out parts of the franchise.
I don't care for the disney worlds but I would never wish for them to be relegated to a smaller role than they currently enjoy. I don't enjoy them a whole lot but even then I understand their importance. And it's not just Disney that makes KH, there's a whole host of other things. It's one thing to ignore final fantasy but let's not start ignoring square enix here too.

Noivern

Awards
Xemnas was also a way better villain then than any of the punch clock fellas we have now, save for Xigbar I guess. And I suppose Xehanort is kinda menacing too but a lot of that is holdover from previous games. He rarely has anything to do with Sora personally in KH3.

Xemnas is complete garbage as a villain, though. He appears for the last 5 minutes of KH2 and does almost nothing for the rest of the game, he's hinted at being the big bad but Saïx is more present overall (and even then, not by much, really). He does have an amazing final boss battle, though. There's a lot of background work for him with the whole situation with DiZ but really, had he not been the Nobody counterpart to the Heartless we faced before, his presence would be equivalent to his powers: close to nothing.

The Seekers of Darkness from 3 are pretty badly written but at least they were present throughout the game and we did get a final confrontation, even if they threw away the personal struggles each character had for the sake of Gameplay with Sora being the playable character we use to take them down (although Re:Mind helps a bit with this, I suppose).

I still haven't replayed KH3 to gather my thoughts on the game as a whole (will have to wait a few more weeks due to personal reasons), but even as someone who isn't much of a fan of KH3 (which can be made painfully obvious if you look through my posts in this section), I think we should stop comparing it to KH2FM+ so much because the games are just.. different.
Different generations, different technical capabilities. Different priorities, different rewards for the time you invest in them.

KH3 is a much bigger game, it takes more time to finish the base game compared to KH2FM+. Even if you take your time to train and level, unless you go for the Data Battles I doubt a regular playthrough would be as long as, say, getting all mystery emblems and synthesis in 3.

I think we should criticize KH3 for the game it is without comparing it to 2 because doing the same amount of extra content for a game of this scale is just not the same.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I took original worlds for granted coming into KH3. I just never had any doubt that there would be two or three original worlds in the game because every KH game has those and because the series as a whole since KH1 has shown that Nomura cares more about the original story than the Disney worlds. The Disney worlds had been wallpaper, basically.

So my only concern going into KH3 was that they beef up the Disney worlds and make them relevant. They did beef them up even more than in 3D (which was already great, imo), but I don't pretend they're very relevant--just not as bad as KH2 was. Aside from that, it made me feel like SE takes everything to extremes. Either the original story is confined to great original worlds and the Disney worlds are filler, or they devote extra energy to the Disney worlds and the original story gets screwed. I didn't realize it was an either/or scenario for them.

I don't understand this one to be fair. TWTNW honestly isn't THAT expansive. It's a few straight corridors with absolutely no exploration whatsoever. Yes, it is mysterious and cool but I bet what makes it feel like a great final world to people is because you get plot points, important scenes and fights happening as you progress up the castle. If that's the case people really should stop comparing Scala specifically to TWTNW. I get that people want an expanded Scala, I did as well, but they are not 1 for 1 in terms of purpose. Scala is the final save spot before the final boss. It's not meant to be the "final world". In KH2 terms its essentially that final save spot before you go and poke the doors to go fight Xemnas. That's what Scala is. The entirety of the Keyblade graveyard + The final world + Scala is KH3's TWTNW. And honestly all of that blows TWTNW out of the water.
I understand and agree with what you’re saying about Scala, that it’s supposed to be the final door not the final world, but, wow, I could not disagree more on the other part. TWTNW is so much better than the Keyblade Graveyard. Of course they both pale in comparison to Hollow Bastion from KH1 though…. I'd put End of the World above KH3's KG, too, but below KH2's TWTNW.

Xemnas is complete garbage as a villain, though.
I agree on this. But Master Xehanort sucks in general, jmo, so KH2 and KH3 are pretty much tied for me in terms of the villain. The only great parts about KG in KH3 (and I'm talking only about KG and not Scala) for me are the multi-fights, chasing the Lich / the Final World, and Saix fading away and RAX's reunion. Surprisingly, there was more urgency in KH2 when you're going up the castle of TWTNW--to rescue Kairi, meet Riku, meet Ansem the Wise. I love Maleficent's appearances in that world, too, while everyone else is fighting. And Sora and Riku's reunion trumps everything in KG single-handedly for me.

Last edited:

drew0512

Awards
Even if people prefer the disney side of things, I find it astonishing to claim that the original worlds should be reduced to such a small role when everything of importance occurs there, and they're by far the most fleshed out parts of the franchise.
I don't care for the disney worlds but I would never wish for them to be relegated to a smaller role than they currently enjoy. I don't enjoy them a whole lot but even then I understand their importance.
Enough people couldn't care less about KH's original stuff and would be happy to just play in the Disney worlds. KH's audience is very diverse and even if it wasn't your intention maybe, you spoke on behalf of millions of players. You think those are the best parts, not everyone agrees though. Besides, I don't see anyone here say that original worlds should be reduced, unless you are talking about things you read elsewhere.

And it's not just Disney that makes KH, there's a whole host of other things. It's one thing to ignore final fantasy but let's not start ignoring square enix here too.
You inferred too much from my comment (if not even twisted it). Who ignored Square Enix? What point are you trying to make?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yeah I do wish Radiant Garden made the cut. It would have been nice exploring that world with the new graphics and a Town full of actual NPCs. Also seeing the Restoration Commitee in Re:MIND made me really sad that SDG didnt get to reunite with them properly.

Noivern

Awards
I agree on this. But Master Xehanort sucks in general, jmo, so KH2 and KH3 are pretty much tied for me in terms of the villain. The only great parts about KG in KH3 (and I'm talking only about KG and not Scala) for me are the multi-fights, chasing the Lich / the Final World, and Saix fading away and RAX's reunion. Surprisingly, there was more urgency in KH2 when you're going up the castle of TWTNW--to rescue Kairi, meet Riku, meet Ansem the Wise. I love Maleficent's appearances in that world, too, while everyone else is fighting. And Sora and Riku's reunion trumps everything in KG single-handedly for me.

Yeah, besides BBS where he's pretty much spectacular, the Xehanorts are just.. ehh in general. In 1 it worked but that was because the main villain of that game was Maleficent, not Ansem SoD. He was the mastermind and the final confrontation, sure, and the game did actually hint towards him throughout the game compared to Xemnas and Xehanort in 2 and 3 who are just.. there, really, but Maleficent is the one who put Riku against Sora, the one who gathered the League of Villains, the one the FF crew has beef against.

I feel like the lack of a proper main villain in charge of the plot is really what makes 3 so underwhelming in the grand scheme of things. 2 had that issue as well, but that game was essentially the bridge leading up to all the spin offs that would take us to 3, while this is supposed to be THE final clash against this antagonist that we have been chasing since the very start; only for him to only really show up in the very end.

This is the one thing I'll give to 3D even though I hate nearly everything about that game. Young Xehanort was an annoying ass brat throughout the entire game and we really felt like beating him up, which makes the final confrontation much better. Plus, Ansem SoD is written so well here in Riku's side that it feels almost like a joke to see his role in 3.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Enough people couldn't care less about KH's original stuff and would be happy to just play in the Disney worlds. KH's audience is very diverse and even if it wasn't your intention maybe, you spoke on behalf of millions of players. You think those are the best parts, not everyone agrees though. Besides, I don't see anyone here say that original worlds should be reduced, unless you are talking about things you read elsewhere.
Which is why it would behoove SE / Nomura to aim for a middle ground between all the fans rather than continuously giving the middle finger to a different group entry to entry. The games released post-KH2 are all over the map.

2 quid is good

Awards
Like I said, it's fine to feel that way, but those people should acknowledge that it's only to the series detriment to raise one aspect over the other. We should all strive for a balance, regardless of how we feel about certain aspects.
Xemnas is complete garbage as a villain, though.
To be honest I totally disagree with this. Within the context of just KH2 (and I only mean the vanilla here, although I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with comparing a game made in 07 to one from 19) I think Xemnas has enough of a presence to be a strong villain. He's right there in the beginning, with the hood up, he's present at Hollow Bastion, both times round, and he gives off a kind of tragic villain vibe to me. I'm not saying this is the height of character writing, but it worked for me.

He's a guy who really did seem desperate to have a heart, he felt like someone who had misplaced intentions, and he did seem like the type of guy who would let his underlings do the dirty work. I think it works better that we had Saix, Xigbar and Xaldin to make things personal for the player/sora, Xemnas is the high detached villain in the chair that you eventually feel pity for. I don't expect to change your opinion of course, this is just my view
I think we should criticize KH3 for the game it is without comparing it to 2 because doing the same amount of extra content for a game of this scale is just not the same.
I mean we can absolutely do that, but every single KH game has always been compared to any other. When we already have two numbered games that cemented what a numbered KH title is "supposed" to be like, it's hard not to line them up and play spot the difference. And KH3 doesn't really take all that much longer than KH2. I have a standard play through of both games where I haven't skipped any cutscenes, meandered a little bit but not gone out of my way for any completionist activities, essentially just story runs and they're KH3's is only 3 hours longer than KH2s. Not that time is a measure of quality at all, I just don't think the difference is that big

Noivern

Awards
Like I said, it's fine to feel that way, but those people should acknowledge that it's only to the series detriment to raise one aspect over the other. We should all strive for a balance, regardless of how we feel about certain aspects.
To be honest I totally disagree with this. Within the context of just KH2 (and I only mean the vanilla here, although I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with comparing a game made in 07 to one from 19) I think Xemnas has enough of a presence to be a strong villain. He's right there in the beginning, with the hood up, he's present at Hollow Bastion, both times round, and he gives off a kind of tragic villain vibe to me. I'm not saying this is the height of character writing, but it worked for me.

He's a guy who really did seem desperate to have a heart, he felt like someone who had misplaced intentions, and he did seem like the type of guy who would let his underlings do the dirty work. I think it works better that we had Saix, Xigbar and Xaldin to make things personal for the player/sora, Xemnas is the high detached villain in the chair that you eventually feel pity for. I don't expect to change your opinion of course, this is just my view

I mean we can absolutely do that, but every single KH game has always been compared to any other. When we already have two numbered games that cemented what a numbered KH title is "supposed" to be like, it's hard not to line them up and play spot the difference. And KH3 doesn't really take all that much longer than KH2. I have a standard play through of both games where I haven't skipped any cutscenes, meandered a little bit but not gone out of my way for any completionist activities, essentially just story runs and they're KH3's is only 3 hours longer than KH2s. Not that time is a measure of quality at all, I just don't think the difference is that big

Eh, I agree that he is the kind of guy who let people do stuff for him, but he still barely shows up and this is not like KH1 where we didn't really know Maleficent was a fluke, the Org were right there at the start. He could have stayed in his place and let mostly Saïx and Xigbar deal with Sora but the game could have given us cutscenes of him giving them orders, or more insight on who he was, similar to the Aqua-Armor cutscene.
I like Xemnas, I think he is a good character, just not a good main villain. He's there just for being a Xehanort which, to me, is not enough.

Regarding the completition, yeah, KH3 is barely longer in regular playthroughs, but the game FEELS lenghtier by default, which is easier to understand why:

- In KH2 we go through each world twice, with the game having a middle part when we return to Radiant Garden. This doesn't really happen in 3 and we go through each full world once, more similar to what KH1 did (but the worlds feel larger because they are big and mostly fresh, KH1 (and 2) had us go through the same maps multiple times throughout the story)
- I feel like there's more fighting in 3 compared to the first 2 games in general. Probably because the maps are bigger and the way respawn works is different, as the first two had a limit and we had to exit the world and walk in again if we wanted to farm levels. In 3 if you are exploring you'll encounter fights pretty much all the time.
- There's less "filler" this time. The other two games had a lot of nearly-meaningless parts with little gameplay that were there mostly for story chunks, like the whole Destiny Island section of KH1 and most of our first run of Traverse Town (which was very nerfed and we don't really get Magic until later on, for ex), 2 as a whole starts with Roxas and even when we get Sora back it still takes a while until we are playing the game properly.
3 Replaced all of that with lenghty cutscenes which made all the gameplay sections purely gameplay, which has it's perks and downsides, I guess.
- Gummi Ships are an actual timesink in 3 and not just a quick breeze like in 1 or 2; there's bosses now as well.

That aside, I finished KH2fm+ with around 40 to 50 hours, I think. I got to around level 70, finished exploring everything, maxed forms, etc. Only things left were getting Ultima and then grinding to 99 to do the Data Fights. Do you think getting everything in vanilla KH3 could take around the same time, since I haven't done that yet?

2 quid is good

Awards
There's less "filler" this time. The other two games had a lot of nearly-meaningless parts with little gameplay that were there mostly for story chunks, like the whole Destiny Island section of KH1 and most of our first run of Traverse Town (which was very nerfed and we don't really get Magic until later on, for ex), 2 as a whole starts with Roxas and even when we get Sora back it still takes a while until we are playing the game properly.
I think we're coming at KH from two very different angles, because the things you're listing would never be filler for me xD

AmaryllisMoth

Awards

I'm not sure if this comment was supposed to be directed towards me?
I enjoy original worlds a ton. If they wanted to add more I'm a happy camper, but I still had fun with them as they are. It's like if I enjoy my dessert and then someone is like hey you want MORE dessert? I'm not turning that down, haha. Just because I'm content with the way things are doesn't mean I'm against adding stuff.

I guess I just don't see TWTNW as this amazing final dungeon that people seem to think was the best in the series. Hollow Bastion is way better imo too just because of the endless hours I spent just wandering around the castle looking at stuff feeling all mysterious.

even if in terms of scale TWTNW feels quite a bit smaller than KBG -> Final World -> KBG -> Scala, as it's just Sora and Riku in the former, It's tighter and doesn't screw up characterisations.

I'm a bit confused about this. Are you saying you think TWTNW being smaller is better? Or just that even if it's smaller its better directed in your opinion? I could understand someone having the later opinion but it's the first time I've heard someone say the final area being short to be a positive.

I understand and agree with what you’re saying about Scala, that it’s supposed to be the final door not the final world, but, wow, I could not disagree more on the other part. TWTNW is so much better than the Keyblade Graveyard. Of course they both pale in comparison to Hollow Bastion from KH1 though…. I'd put End of the World above KH3's KG, too, but below KH2's TWTNW.

And for me there was something so deeply moving to me about the Final World alone that I would rank that segment as pretty dang high just on its own.

I suppose we are just going to have to hard disagree on this one, then.

Also just to be clear I am comparing not just the Keyblade Graveyard but literally all of the final end areas as if they are lumped into one "end game" segment. So for KH1 that would be Hollow bastion - EOTW, KH2 that would be Twilight Town final visit - TWTNW, and KH3 is KBGY - Scala. As all one big final area.
I just personally get very frustrated when people try to dice up the ending to KH3 and say each segment is worse than some other full entire ending world in some other KH game. That's very unfair to KH3 when, while we hop around to different locations, it is all meant to be considered one entire segment.

Now, I will admit first off that I am a very easily amused person and it doesn't take much to get me hyped up, cry, get scared/angry at dramatic things, etc. but what I look for in final worlds is a moving experience and there was so much that affected me in KH3. Things like Terranort being way too OP for the sake of drama doesn't really bug me because I'm actually caught up in the drama of it.

Take the Lich segment for example: it was reusing the same idea that we had multiple times in other ending worlds where we had to go revisit all the disney worlds and fight heartless randomly but in KH3 at least it also felt incredibly personal. "Get yer grubby hands off ___'s heart you friggen animal!"...was said many times. In KH1 in contrast that entire segment in EOTW just feels like a chore. (as an aside, I thought in 3D this segment was done well).

My favorite part in TWTNW was seeing SRK reunite, finally. While that was a more impactful reuniting scene for me personally (because that trio is my favorite) the reuniting scenes in KH3 are very good, I thought. I know some people were raging about it because they wanted to play as other characters but...again, I didn't really care about that. I just liked seeing the characters be happy. Maybe I am way too empathetic or simple in the head, I dunno, but that's why I ended up really enjoying even the vanilla version of the final world.

Also, just wanted to say that since this thread was initially comparing KH2FM then it is only fair to include basically all of Re:Mind into KH3's ending sequence because that's essentially what it was (an expansion of the final area of the game). And in that are straight up some of my favorite moments of the series now. But even if we just look at base vanilla KH3 I was basically in tears almost straight through the minute I landed in the KBG and that's what I am looking for.

I still think Hollow Bastion-End of the World is my favorite overall experience in KH history just because of how much it still affects me even that many years later (and Hollow Bastion is probably my favorite world, ever), and I do genuinely love many things about TWTNW as well, but there is also heaps and heaps to love about the ending to KH3, especially with the Re:Mind additions.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
This discussion just reminds of how neatly KH1 weaves everything together in Hollow Bastion. The reports, the FF crew, the mystery of Ansem, the Keyblade, Kairi(plot device) and Riku all have great payoffs. They set it all up and it meshes beautifully unlike other entries.

Back