• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH3 References

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Violet Pluto

Awards
I came across this video earlier and wanted to talk about it as I didn't realize some of these references or other important ideas when I first saw it. I also didn't see a thread on it or anything so here goes.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
can you do a cliffnotes version for those of us who can't watch the video

OneDandelion

Awards
29:34
Sora: "I've gotta show Riku what a blast this place is"
Donald: "blast? I'll show you a blast"
Later
Donald:"Zettaflare!"

lmfao

Violet Pluto

Awards
There is too much stuff packed in for a Cliffnotes version. Maybe I could post a summary a little later, but I need to go back to sleep.

Awards

Station of Awakening
  • The tutorial has shot-for-shot references to the opening and first Darkside battle of KH1.
  • "There are seven hearts to save" - Sora has to save seven hearts in the Final World (Riku, Aqua, Goofy, Donald, Ventus, Mickey, and Axel).
Olympus
  • "I was a little off again. Sorry!" - This is the second time Sora landed away from the Coliseum; the first time was when they landed in the Underworld in KH2.
  • Xigbar's speech foreshadows Sora's reckless use of the power of waking, how Riku will have to come saving him (secret movie), and how Sora loses heart when he loses all his friends. He also tells Sora to "find the hearts joined to yours", outright encouraging him to bring them back.
  • "With all my heart." - Herc says this when he says how he got his strength back through his desire to save Meg; Sora says this when he commits himself to saving Roxas, and later to save all his friends with the power of waking.
  • "Apart from the person I love most" - Sora is separated from Kairi in the end, just as Herc would have lived an empty life without Meg if he stayed in Olympus.
  • Xigbar is about to say "May your heart be your guiding key," foreshadowing his true identity.
Dark World
  • "Strength to protect what matters" - Riku recalls how he said the same thing to Terra in BBS.
  • Riku's broken Keyblade alludes to the secret ending of KH2 and KH2FM, where Ven's the one who picks up Riku's Keyblade and breaks the tip of his own Keyblade (the Wayward Wind).
  • "Might as well leave it here for the other me" - Riku leaves his Keyblade in the Dark Margin, where it's later found by his replica, the "other" Riku.
The Mysterious Tower
  • Goofy figures Sora's power of waking will be triggered; it finally is when Ven's heart reacts to Aqua in danger.
  • The Heartbinders are similar to the Wayfinders in BBS, since they allow their users to connect their hearts with others.
Twilight Town
  • Sora mentions his meeting with Roxas from 3D, while Donald and Goofy mention Data-Roxas from Coded.
  • "Carrying around a little hurt can't be all that bad." - Sora says the exact same line Data-Sora says in Coded.
  • "Do you seek our liege?" - The Dusks call Roxas their "liege" in KH2, like the ones Sora hears in KH3 when he says he's looking for Roxas.
  • The close-up of Vexen is an HD version of the same one from Re:COM.
  • Kairi's speech about saving the people they're looking for is similar to Ansem the Wise's speeches in BBS and 3D.
  • "Don't hold back, Lea. Promise?" - Kairi says the same thing to Axel that Xion says to him in Days, triggering his memory of her.
  • Xemnas's pose when he vanishes in Mickey's recap is the same as when he was destroyed in KH2.
Toy Box
  • Sora thinks Donald says "world border" when he says "world order", just like Goofy does in KH1.
  • Sora says part of the same "My friends are my power" speech he does in KH1.
  • Young Xehanort says darkness is the heart's "true nature", similar to how Ansem calls it the heart's "true essence" in KH1.
  • "So, even empty puppets can be given strong hearts." - Young Xehanort's whole operation in this world is to test the possibility of turning Xion and Dark Riku into Xehanort's vessels. (In Dark Riku's case, though, Nomura said he was already in the real Organization in 3D.)
  • "Find the hearts joined to yours." - Like Xigbar, Young Xehanort encourages Sora to use (i.e., misuse) the power of waking.
Kingdom of Corona
  • Sora says "All for one, and one for all" like Goofy does in KH1.
  • "You always were such a sound sleeper." - Marluxia alludes to Sora's year-long sleep at the end of COM.
Monstropolis
  • Monstropolis runs on smiles and laughter just like the gummi ship does, according to Donald in KH1.
  • Sora prepares to break some of the factory's machinery in the exact same way Roxas does to DiZ's computer terminal in KH2.
  • "Funny Face Special" - Sora makes the exact same stupid smile he does in KH1 to get Boo to laugh.
  • The scene of Sora locking Randall's door references the Keyhole-sealing scenes in KH1, complete with the same music.
  • Sora recognizes Vanitas from Notre Dame Cathedral in 3D.
  • The doors Sulley chucks Vanitas through lead to Arendelle, the Kingdom of Corona, and San Fransokyo.
100 Acre Wood
  • "Sora's not on it." - The cover of Pooh's book looks eerily similar to the final shot of the game.
  • "Whatever's lost can be found again." - Merlin's assurance of Sora's fear of losing his friends alludes to him saving all his friends, and gives hope that Sora may make his way back to Kairi safe and sound, now that Sora has returned to the cover.
Arendelle
  • "Stop trying to be her hero!" - Larxene mockingly calls Sora a hero throughout COM, and brings it back to insult him.
  • "Panic leads to a lack of preparation." - By letting the guardians of light think the thirteen seekers of darkness are all assembled as Larxene incorrectly bragged to Sora, Xemnas essentially orchestrates the guardians' initial fall at the Keyblade Graveyard, Kairi and Axel's insufficient training, and Sora's overuse of the power of waking to save them all.
The Caribbean
  • Jack references the time Barbossa allied himself with the Heartless in KH2.
  • Goofy mentions how similar Sora and Jack are to each other like he did in KH2.
  • Davy Jones' heart is in a box--just like how Roxas, Xion, and Ventus's hearts are in "boxes" within Sora's heart. Vexen's search for the Dead Man's Chest isn't just a search for the rumored black box, but to find a way to bring Xion's heart out.
  • Will and Elizabeth's wedding and decade of life apart foreshadows Sora and Kairi's exchange of the paopu fruit and separation.
San Fransokyo
  • "Blast? I'll show you a blast!" - Donald isn't kidding about knowing a powerful blast--a Zettaflare, to be more precise.
  • "Unlike a certain wizard you know..." - Dark Riku mentions Yen Sid, and how his magic let Sora and Riku travel through time in 3D, differently from how Xehanort and the other time travelers do.
  • Sora says you only have to see the heart in something for the heart to become real, just like Ansem the Wise says Sora can do in 3D.
  • Dark Baymax's heart is made of combat data, just like how the Riku Replica's heart was made from Riku's combat data.
  • "This puppet has lost his heart. He won't wake up." - Dark Riku says the same thing about Baymax as Ansem says about Kairi when he's possessing Riku in KH1.
  • "He's not a puppet! Baymax, he's like my family!" - Hiro says the same thing about Baymax as Geppetto says about Pinocchio when he's kidnapped by Riku in KH1.
  • "Sora, you're the one who's going to complete this heart." - Dark Riku wants Sora to complete Dark Baymax's heart by destroying him, the same way Sora later helps restore Xion's heart--and how Roxas was forced to destroy her.
  • Dark Baymax's last scene mirrors Xion's final scene in Days: his armor fades away the same way Xion does, and Hiro holds his combat chip the same way Roxas holds the seashell she leaves behind.
Dark World II
  • Sora and Riku destroy the Demon Tower with the same Reality Shift they use at the World That Never Was in 3D.
  • Sora saving Aqua is a shot-for-shot remake of the opening to KH0.2.
  • "You're home." - Sora welcomes Aqua back to the realm of light the same way Kairi welcomes him back in KH2.
The Land of Departure
  • A flock of doves fly out from Ven's heart when Sora awakens it, just like the imagery from KH1's opening.
  • Ven awakens to save Aqua from Vanitas the same way he unfreezes himself in BBS.
  • Aqua and Ven are back on the steps of Yen Sid's tower, just like when Aqua took him to the Land of Departure in BBS.
  • "It's like I've been part of some big adventure." - Ven recalls dreaming about people he doesn't recognize, as well as "weird animal creatures". The animals are the Dream Eaters from 3D (he smiles when Sora reunites with them in the end), while the video posits that the strangers are from his lost memories as one of the Dandelions.
  • The Riku Replica talks about what he thought was his imminent death in COM.
Keyblade Graveyard
  • Xehanort's opening line is the same as his speech to Eraqus about the Keyblade War in BBS, almost word-for-word.
  • Aqua succumbs to despair and lowers her Keyblade against the Demon Tide, just like she does against the Darksides in BBS.
  • Sora's scream of anguish mirrors Ven's scream as he recalls his past in BBS.
  • The corridor of light where Sora reunites with Kairi is the same as when he thinks of Kairi and sees her past in KH1--both times, Sora goes through it by believing he'll see her again.
  • Sora rides the river of revived Keyblades the same way Vanitas rides the dead Keyblades in BBS.
  • The guardians of light and seekers of darkness all stand in the shape of a heart at the crossroads; the Kingdom Hearts logo fits perfectly between them when viewed at a 4 o'clock angle.
  • The Riku Replica grabs Dark Riku's heart the same way Ansem stabs Maleficent's heart in KH1.
  • In a reference present only in the Japanese version, the Riku Replica's last line to Riku is the same as Riku's last line to Sora in KH1: Tananda zo ("Take care of her"), this time referring to Namine instead of Kairi.
  • Xigbar's "final" lines about being worthy of Xehanort's Keyblade unsubtly alludes to his true identity.
  • Chains of darkness erupt from Terranort when he reasserts control of Terra, just like how chains of light erupt from Terra when he holds Xehanort back in KH0.2.
  • Everything about Terra's connection to Xehanort's guardian was foreshadowed in past games. In 3D, the guardian reaches out the same way Terra summons his Keyblade for Riku in BBS, and lowers its hand when Riku raises his own Keyblade. In KH0.2, Terra sneaks behind Terranort in the exact same position as the guardian.
  • When Terra takes control of the guardian, he grabs Terranort's face the same way Terranort grabs his in KH0.2.
  • "One day, I will set this right." - While speaking through the guardian, Terra says the same thing the Lingering Will says at the end of his scenario in BBS.
  • Xion regaining her heart and memories is an allusion to how his influence causes her to form her own identity in Days.
  • Xemnas shoots Axel with the same lasers as his final attack in KH2.
  • "It's true. The whole thing was his idea." - Like Vexen, Saix is a traitor trying to help the guardians of light, which is hinted across the game. Vexen tells Demyx his partner in betraying the Organization is one of "the chosen" seekers of darkness, who has to stay undercover. Later, when talking to Xemnas about the Organization's traitors who helped him return, Roxas points his Keyblade at Saix.
  • "I lost all sense of purpose..." - In KH2FM, Saix gloats that those who lose their sense of purpose inevitably destroy themselves--which ironically happens to him when he grows jealous of Axel making new friends.
  • In KH2, Saix calls Kairi "the fire that feeds Sora's anger". Xehanort takes full advantage of this by destroying her body.
  • Xehanort casts Stopza on Mickey just like Mickey does on the Organization in 3D.
  • Sora twirls his Keyblade like he does in the opening of 3D (and the orchestrated intro credits of KH1, edited from the shots of him summoning Tinker Bell and Simba).
Scala ad Caelum
  • Underwater beneath the city, the upside-down silhouette of the bell tower from Daybreak Town in KHX can be seen.
  • "There is one sky, one destiny!" - Xehanort says the same thing as Kairi does in her letter to Kairi in KH2 (and the orchestrated intro credits of KH1).
  • Eraqus says the same things to Xehanort at the end of the game as he does in the opening flashback.
  • "You sly fox..." - Xehanort first calls Eraqus this in the secret ending of BBS when he first learns Eraqus has entered Terra's heart.
  • Eraqus helps the ailing Xehanort on his feet the same way Sora picks up Riku after their fight with Xemnas in KH2.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
San Fransokyo
  • "Unlike a certain wizard you know..." - Dark Riku mentions Yen Sid, and how his magic let Sora and Riku travel through time in 3D, differently from how Xehanort and the other time travelers do.
I always assumed this was referencing Merlin and how he helps SDG time travel to Timeless River. Yensid is usually referred to as "master" or "sorcerer," isn't he?

darknessofheart

Awards
I always assumed this was referencing Merlin and how he helps SDG time travel to Timeless River. Yensid is usually referred to as "master" or "sorcerer," isn't he?

Yeah, and I think Yen Sid actually did follow the rules because Sora and Riku's hearts were sent to the bodies of their younger selves just before the Destiny Islands were destroyed.

GreyouTT

Awards
Yeah I'm pretty certain it was Merlin.

Awards

I'm unsure myself; I just wrote down what's shown in the video. It could go both ways, and "wizard" and "sorcerer" aren't exactly the most unsynonymous words.

Violet Pluto

Awards
I'm unsure myself; I just wrote down what's shown in the video. It could go both ways, and "wizard" and "sorcerer" aren't exactly the most unsynonymous words.

I just came back from work to this thread to try and start putting down the notes, but then saw that you did it (and much better than I would have by the way) so I can do nothing but thank you for the previous post.

On the subject of this comment, yeah, he was talking about Merlin, but the person who made the video must have thought of the more prominent DDD instead.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Oh, I know that wasn't your video, you were just writing down everything. :) I was just posting that here since the topic was about the video.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Besides the Yen Sid/Merlin mixup, I don't believe Ven's talk with Aqua alluded to anything from UX and was just in reference to Sora's adventure. But the person who made the video is hardly the first person I've seen try to make that claim lol

Violet Pluto

Awards
Besides the Yen Sid/Merlin mixup, I don't believe Ven's talk with Aqua alluded to anything from UX and was just in reference to Sora's adventure. But the person who made the video is hardly the first person I've seen try to make that claim lol
Well it's vague enough it could be about either, though I'm not going to say "It definitely is".

D

Deleted member 252753

I think I noticed another bit of foreshadowing about Xigbar's identity in the Keyblade Graveyard. In the 'Ansem Retreats scene' during the Xigbar/Dark Riku fight, there's a bit where we see Xigbar pointing his arrowguns towards Sora and the camera. His arrowguns make distinct shadows on the ground which are reminiscent of the horns of the goat chess piece.

Back