• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH3 Nomura Interview with Dengeki: Mt. Olympus, Happy Ending, Post-KH3 Direction Undecided

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
^ To offer a bit of perspective, the KH event at D23 Expo Japan 2013 featured a brief talk about Disney Interactive, Disney Magic Castle and Disney Infinity with John Pleasants, the then Co-President of Walt Disney Company. Hashimoto and Nomura were introduced, who showed off some concept art of KH1, talked about the history of the series, and shamelessly promoted KH Chi.

The announcement trailer for HD 2.5 ReMix was shown, after which they introduced the voice actors for Sora, Riku and Roxas and answered some questions from fans that were collected online (forum member LightUpTheSky452's question was answered by Riku's VA actually). The KH3 gameplay trailer where attraction flows was shown, and then they closed with a giveaway.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I have a question:
He says that Sora is able to do the keyblade transformations because he passed the Mark of Mastery in KH3D. Didn't Riku only pass it?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
lol I hate it when I hear people say this. Disney has killed plenty of their own characters, and not just the villains. From Bambi, to Big Hero 6, Disney's never been afraid to pull at the audience's heartstrings by taking a sympathetic character away from us. It's Nomura who's backed himself into a corner by making death (as we know it) basically nonexistent in the KH series. No one has died in KH because it's, if not outright impossible, exorbitantly difficult to accomplish.

Actually Disney is pretty ambivalent about it depending on the setting of the work at hand.
Disney works have dealt both with permanent deaths as well as with resurrection and revival, so it's really not Disney per se that is keeping the thumbs on it.

On a more general note, I'm a bit baffled at all those apparent death fetishes regarding the KH series when it has been the modus operandi of the series itself since the very first game to be very idealistic and have some form of Disney magic to return things and people that are lost.
KH 1 ended with millions of worlds including their inhabitants revived on a grand scale, so it is not really something new or groundbreaking, but part of the mythos from the start.

---

Back on topic with the interview:

I'm really positively surprised that Nomura himself realized that the entire series had no true, full happy ending so far with KH 2 being the only one coming close.

The statement of "various characters playing a huge part" is also on one hand positive in that Nomura acknowledges that he has a big cast to handle and somewhat hints at the overall scope of KH III being bigger than all previous entries, but on the other hand negative in that the track record of the writing in the KH series itself when faced with juggling several characters is not really impressive.

It will not have the Command Deck. It’ll return to the traditional command types such as “Attack” and “Magic”. Spin-offs were a way to freely challenge ideas. In numbering titles, it would be good to use the traditional system. So I thought KINGDOM HEARTS II could match with KINGDOM HEARTS III.
This one also amused me somehow. Like, Nomura, what's the point of trying out new things and experiment if in the end you go back to the dusty traditional stuff everytime?

-- Mr. Nomura, since you are the one that is writing the scenario this time, how is the progress coming along?
Nomura: Since we are arriving near the conclusion of Xehanort in KINGDOM HEARTS III, the outline of the story has been solidified but not necessarily the direction where the KINGDOM HEARTS series is continuing to head. We are still trying to decide where to go from several choices.
-- What is that specifically?
Nomura: In the KINGDOM HEARTS series, I don’t think there has been an actual happy ending. KINGDOM HEARTS II is close to it. Since most of the titles have ended in cliffhangers, we’re worried about what we should include in KINGDOM HEARTS III.

It's funny that he's already thinking about what comes after the Xehanort saga, yet apparently worries about what to include about that in KH III regarding to the apparent wish to leave not too much of a cliffhanger this time.
The easiest possibility for this I'd say would definitely be to leave anything "cliffhanger-worthy" and hints towards the direction the series is going to take after the Xehanort chapters out of the normal, regular ending (and dedicate that one completely to closures in all forms) and confine it solely to the secret ending.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
This one also amused me somehow. Like, Nomura, what's the point of trying out new things and experiment if in the end you go back to the dusty traditional stuff everytime?

Sometimes you have to try out new things in order to realize that what you originally had was the best option all along. After all, if you have nothing to compare to, how do you really know? But after toying with a card system, mission mode, command decks, and multiple gameplay styles within a single title, I think he realized the beauty of the original systems of 1 and 2. The Command Deck is really nice, but I much prefer the Menu, personally.

It's funny that he's already thinking about what comes after the Xehanort saga, yet apparently worries about what to include about that in KH III regarding to the apparent wish to leave not too much of a cliffhanger this time.
The easiest possibility for this I'd say would definitely be to leave anything "cliffhanger-worthy" and hints towards the direction the series is going to take after the Xehanort chapters out of the normal, regular ending (and dedicate that one completely to closures in all forms) and confine it solely to the secret ending.

I'm really hoping he ties up every loose end. I think probably about the only ends he can leave untied would be something like what the real Kingdom Hearts looks like or something. There can be zero Xehanort related ends left untied. Those all need closure. Every major character needs their proper amount of attention and closure. All the current lore that's built up over the series needs to all tie together in the end. In my opinion, I agree with you, that the secret ending should only contain hints toward what comes next, and don't make any of the lore-related stuff that needs closure out of the regular ending. Make it a long ass ending, but don't make it secret. People deserve to have these answers after so long without having to unlock them by doing something other than beating the game.

Answer everything in the end, then hint towards the next saga in an unlockable ending. Simple.

Megavoltage

Awards
Even if it’s a new location I don’t like the idea of visiting with Hercules yet again. I was also hoping for command deck. But I’m still hyped, I’m sure this game will be a blast.
It’s so weird getting real news about the fabled KH3, it’s like a dream XD

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Even if it’s a new location I don’t like the idea of visiting with Hercules yet again. I was also hoping for command deck. But I’m still hyped, I’m sure this game will be a blast.
It’s so weird getting real news about the fabled KH3, it’s like a dream XD

I thought the same thing about Hercules, but if we're going up to Mount Olympus, there's a good chance we might be participating in that giant battle at the end of the movie where all 4 Titans and that Cyclops get released, instead of just the Rock and Ice Titan. If that's the case, that's a dream come true, because I've always wanted to see Wind and Lava Titan in a KH game.

And also Bahamut because he'd be an amazing boss, especially for KH3

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
i kind of doubt it they will aannouce a release date for kh3 if there is a release date announced there it would be for japan the best place to announced a release for us is e3 2016

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Except Nomura seemed to imply it is a new world. Not an old world with a new name.
The idea that we all live in the same world is just in our heads anyway but surely you knew that lol

As much as I like the command deck it make sense to want some different gameplay for different titles and I think it's a much more fitting gameplay for handhelds (command deck) because it make the game more action based etc y'know?
Something about it just fit even if I'd like console games like that as well.
This is one of the reasons I really really want BBS for the Vita, that and the awkward camera that is way to zoomed in on consoles (though they could just fix that).

I thought the same thing about Hercules, but if we're going up to Mount Olympus, there's a good chance we might be participating in that giant battle at the end of the movie where all 4 Titans and that Cyclops get released, instead of just the Rock and Ice Titan. If that's the case, that's a dream come true, because I've always wanted to see Wind and Lava Titan in a KH game.

And also Bahamut because he'd be an amazing boss, especially for KH3
I'm really curious what they would do with the wind titan if we get to fight him.
More then that I just wanna see the Cyclops though, keep imagining Sora going all GoW and rip his diddlying eye out lol, that would be sweet.

Last edited:

warmaster34

I wonder if the next saga will have LIGHT AS the enemy or something like knights called courage that want to destory everything that darkness for absolute order and destroy the balance in the worlds if the dark seeker is the end chapter of darkness whats after darkness :confused:

Anagram

Banned
-- Keyblade transformations seem like a fun element in battle.

Nomura: My ideas for it came as far as from KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX, the main characters of KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep were able to transform their Keyblades, and once Sora is able to pass the Mark of Mastery in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, he will be able to utilize magic to transform his Keyblade that can be ridden as a vehicle and many other great things.
I thought he failed that test?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Please look forward to the tutorial of Kingdom Hearts III.

Saken

鍵が導く心のまま
Awards
Don't know why people be complaining about Mt. Olympus, we might finally get a chance to see Zeus!
Maybe some other gods too...
Plus, what if there's some sort of tournament being held in Heaven this time, maybe we can fight some gods? That would be cool. The possibilities are limitless!

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
New worlds or areas just makes me think about the beautiful arrangements Yoko Shimomura will be doing for those worlds. I can't wait to hear what she will do for Mt. Olympus and Tangled. As well as how she will remix Twilight Town's theme.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
New worlds or areas just makes me think about the beautiful arrangements Yoko Shimomura will be doing for those worlds. I can't wait to hear what she will do for Mt. Olympus and Tangled. As well as how she will remix Twilight Town's theme.

Just imagine what the Dearly Beloved for KH3 is going to sound like...

:redface:

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
I really want to hear the field map/battle theme for Olympus,we've had the same overused theme for so long..How can most people not be excited for that alone lol.

Hopefully Herc is an actual party member this time.I really want to see what their limit attack looks like.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Interesting to see what plans Nomura has for the various characters in KHIII. I hope most of them get a good amount of screen time.

Man, I wish it was November already.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
I really want to hear the field map/battle theme for Olympus,we've had the same overused theme for so long..How can most people not be excited for that alone lol.

Hopefully Herc is an actual party member this time.I really want to see what their limit attack looks like.

Ohh you know what that reminds me of, I wonder what happened to Zack.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
(forum member LightUpTheSky452's question was answered by Riku's VA actually)

I still can't believe that actually happened! I'm still blown away by it to this day, tbh. Totally made my life, though:) Ahh.

I wonder if they might do something like that for D23 this year... I kind of doubt it. It definitely would be cool if they did, however!

But no matter what happens, D23 is guaranteed to be amazing this year, I think;)

Originally I was worried that maybe they wouldn't show a lot off this year, after the news blowout at E3, but since KHIII seems to be progressing rather well--and Nomura-san even has a release date in mind--it seems like all things are pointing to D23 giving us a lot of information.

Still... best to go into it with low expectations, just in case.

...Especially since my mind hasn't even completely acknowledged that KHIII is actually real and happening, and could actually be coming out soon-ish. I swear when the does come out, I'm going to have a mental breakdown before I begin playing, because it'll only be then that I realize I finally have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back