• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kh3 kairi wasn’t useless!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
i know i know lol i said i won't comment again in this site but i lm seeing a lot of hate for kairi and even i was disappointed in her but i won't call her uselss i may still have soft spot for kairi but still im only telling the truth, kairi is not useless, can anyone claim she is useless when instead you should be praising her for all she has done?

1) she is the reason why we won, sora and others lost just like the prophecy foretold, darkness prevails and light expire, then kairi managed to save sora's life thus saving everyone.

2) unlike everyone kairi is the only one who is not experienced in battle yet she held her own against saix, people really need to give her credit here, she didn't have adventure in 7 games like sora and riku so ofc her level at best now is kh1 sora which is decent considering she just began to fight

now i am aware her getting kidnapped is getting old but we can't compare her to aqua who is keyblade master with years of experience, kairi at least need 1 year to handle herself in combat against top tiers, so really her hate is uncalled for.

that is all i have to say for kairi, she did her best

PEACE
Kairi.%28Kingdom.Hearts%29.full.2346066.jpg

rodx

People said that Yen Sid was a jackass for training Kairi if she was to become such a burden,but if Kairi as not on the team,Sora will not reach Final World with his body and will not ressurrect everyone afterward meaning that Xehanort will wins (he still can complete the X blade by looking after the seven princesses of heart if everyone dies ),the problem of Kairi is that all her scenes is about Sora not that she is useless .

Last edited:

kaseykockroach

Awards
Kairi’s not useless, but Nomura is. : D

(Okay, that’s really mean, and if Nomura’s reading this, I’m sorry)

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
The whole hate thing is just misguided.
Kairi is, by definition, NOT useless this time around.

1) She has a Keyblade, aka the ticket to being relevant.
2) She trained in a space where time was distorted in which she could train for as long as she wanted to so that she could've been able to handle even final boss level threats.

The notion that Kairi and Lea couldn't keep up because of lack of experience is just ridiculous, even if the Journal itself states it so. You went and put on that whole training thing (which kept me, the player, from having Kairi or Lea around for the first three quarters of the game), so writing them off from fighting under the pretense that "they just weren't skilled enough" is... just awful writing. What was the point of training them in the first place then?

I completely reject the notion that Yen Sid knew Kairi wasn't going to cut it but "kept her around" because of whatever heart asspu- er, miracle she could perform, first of all because I think it objectifies Kairi in a really gross way ("Look, you aren't capable of handling yourself, but hey, we'll still need you as our connection urn. Hope nothing bad happens to you!") and second because... there is a core problem with her being stuck in the role of Sora's light.
I've said this elsewhere, there's a bit of a conundrum with "saving" roles especially in this medium. On one had yes, it's important to be there for someone else, it can be nice and symbolic and all of that, and it does impact the main story. On the other... it's been a known fact that many writers use such a trope to write off one character while at the same time building up the convenient excuse that said character "did something". It's especially common with female characters, the classic jrpg Princess that stays in the castle and prays for the hero's victory.
AND, another problem is that thematically Kairi is still only bringing back a more competent characters to do the actual stuff, even if she's indeed contributing to the story progression.

No one says Kairi and Sora's bond shouldn't exist or be relevant (well, some people do, but whatever). But nothing says Kairi couldn't ALSO grab a weapon and make her own victories too.
I don't want to go too much into feats, I consider it useless in Kingdom Hearts, but KH1 Sora wasn't any more justified in doing what he did than Kairi in KH III. He fought with a wooden sword against Riku. Cool. How does that translate into bringing down Heartless monsters? Or seasoned fighters, or even Gods and Titans?
This is a fantasy game, bring Kairi and Lea into the field and tell- no, SHOW me they are skilled and powerful, and I'll accept it. No fan of them was asking to read "and they sucked because they needed more training."

So, to sum it up: Kairi wasn't useless at all. She has her relevance as a character and performed helpful stuff that... are undoubtedly important, even if they can't fill the gap by themselves in a satisfactory manner, and had all the cards to be useful fighting-wise too. ALL the cards.
With these premises, any subsequent failure comes only from those who wrote her and their inadequacy at doing so.

There ARE "useless" characters, that even if they got godly writing and depth it doesn't really matter because their role just wasn't important enough. Even if TenTen was amazing and defeated twenty rivals, by the end of Naruto all of that would hardly matter at all. Kairi definitely isn't that, so it's the other way around.
But can you really fault a fictional character for the way other peole write them?

Last edited:
Awards
I like Kairi, but I'm disappointed at what the writers did to her. Like if she needed more training, Yen Sid should've known. She just got out of training and haven't fought low tier bosses to accumulate those experiences. Yet, already she was shoved into the final big boss battle. Not to mention, she got kidnapped AGAIN! She was used as a mere plot device for Sora and it's getting annoying. Then Kairi got killed so Sora has to go save her AGAIN! This 'rescue the girl' trope is getting really old. I hope that in the next game, Kairi would be a decent wielder with the thought of "I'm tired of being Sora's weakness and putting my friends in danger because I wasn't competent enough to protect myself in battle" to drive her to become stronger. Maybe get some training from Aqua or Riku, who are Keyblade masters. I feel Kairi's fighting style would be either speed and/or magic base, not much on strength.

Askelon

She is not useless, but

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Definitely borderline useless. Like just relevant enough to be above the line between useful and useless. I wished she had a different role to be honest.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I hope the character stays at Destiny Islands next saga outside ending cutscenes. So tired of this will she/won't she do anything worth caring about, and so tired of reading about her in the fandom. Kairi is a deadend. Give that time to someone like Namine or Aqua or Xion or Larxene or even Maleficent for God's sake--any character that might actually be worth the time at any rate.

disney233

Awards
ANY character development for Kairi...seems futile aside from being borderline Princess Peach. At this point just leave her. Yes, I get it's unfair to compare her to...literally every other female character that's done more than her, but with a Keyblade at her hand, you'd think she'd do SOMETHING combative rather than getting captured.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
See? That's what I'm talking about.

It's like it's Kairi's fault. Like Nomura gave her the Keyblade and instructed her, and she went like "Duuuhhh no, I think I'll get kidnapped again, yolo". It's the exact opposite, she had the Keyblade in hand and was later directed into "kidnapped position #56, scene 32". I understand emotional investment is a thing, but remember that videogame characters aren't real, therefore have no agency.
By all means, I am sure all of you are very much aware of this basic notion, but sometimes the conclusions I read seem to generate from believing the first example I made.

It's not unfair to compare her to more successful female characters because it shouldn't be a pissing contest between them, but a way to understand just how bad of a treatment Kairi gets from her own creators.
And saying that she has no routes is just as incorrect, she has a ton of potential that gets simply thrown out of the window, or we wouldn't raise all this dust. I firmly believe that if Nomura had a solid and worthy plan for her and carried it out at least since KH II nowadays she could've been a beloved female videogame character, instead of being stuck in the hate zone.

If anything it baffles me when I say people fighting just as hard for characters like Hayner Pence and Olette. I understand the meme, but sometimes it's for real and I just don't get it. I would never be as insistent and disappointed over some missed opportunities for them, because they're clearly a much smaller role in the whole thing.

Kairi isn't useless, just tremendously wasted.
I will never bring myself to say it's okay to ditch her entirely, though I now know that they just have no intention whatsoever to put some thought into giving her character the space she deserves.
I've spent these last few weeks reading alternatives for handling her in KH III made by fans and each one is way better than what was ultimately done (which also confirms that the idea that her character was good in this game is just laughable), and most didn't even take a galaxy brain to be done in a satisfying manner.

Elysium

Awards
I get that it's not the character's fault. It's Nomura's fault. That said, her being useless in KH3 despite being a Guardian of Light shows that it will never get better. That's why I'm done giving the benefit of doubt when it comes to what will or could happen with her, because it'll never improve and even if Nomura listened and put her onscreen the whole game, she still wouldn't be any more involved in what's happening than topiary in the background or Donald's hat. Then we'd criticize him for that and his reaction would be, "Gah, what do you want from me, seriously?" He doesn't get it, he won't ever get it.

The truth is she has never really been a big character in the series. Her biggest game was KH1 and she was absent for 90% of that. Opening/ending cutscene fodder is her only purpose to Nomura.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
She is not useless, but

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Still not ready to give up on Kairi just yet. With how KH3 ended and the secret movie there may still be some hope for her. I doubt she will spend the entirety of the next saga just staying on the Islands while everyone else has stuff to do

Elysium

Awards
I doubt she will spend the entirety of the next saga just staying on the Islands while everyone else has stuff to do
I'm not sure why you follow me around with these obtuse statements. I said I hope she does, not that she will.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm not sure why you follow me around with these obtuse statements. I said I hope she does, not that she will.

But I wasn't responding to your post though. Didn't even read it. My point was that she still has opportunities for growth in the next saga.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Personally while I acknowledge that it's basically hopeless, to ever see Nomura or anyone on the KH staff to actually take advantage of her potential, I don't think I'll be able to give up hope on her character until I drop the series or it ends. I don't think I'll stop hoping for her to get more spotlight and development.

Where they left the story off, there's a golden opportunity to focus and develop her character, making all the build up they did a bit less pointless. But sadly it already seems like they're more interested in focusing on Riku and Sora's bond, rather then the supposedly stronger bond between Kairi and Sora.

In another thread someone posted a video of Kairi and Axel's fight and it was interesting to see, she did a alright job, though the girl needs to learn to either block or dodge. I also found it interesting that she used a fira like, light projectile spell. I'd love to see them expand on this in future installments.

Foxycian

Awards
lol so ya'll think she is useless in the final fight when she is the reason they are still alive? oh boy im done

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

But I wasn't responding to your post though. Didn't even read it. My point was that she still has opportunities for growth in the next saga.

Which is fine but I don't think people have much faith in Nomura to use them well.

How Kairi has been handled in the Xehanort saga hasn't inspired much faith in Nomura handling her better in the foreteller saga.

It could happen but people probably would give it a low score.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrandWebster

I think people need to realize that Kairi has the ingredients to be an amazing badass character, The problem is Nomura and Sqeenix are utterly useless at baking those ingredients and utilizing them.

Its not that She's bad, The Writing is bad.

Back