• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH3 for PS5?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

WaltK

Awards

The image at the top of this article uses a screenshot from KH3. The image is credited to Sony, which would imply that this is an official promo image, but I may be wrong.

If it’s real, could this be hinting toward a enhanced KH3 for the Playstation 5?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
It can't be that time already... ugh...

Could the middle game between KH 3 and 4 be an exclusive title for the launch?

okhi12

Awards
It can't be that time already... ugh...

Could the middle game between KH 3 and 4 be an exclusive title for the launch?
I don't think so. Remember they are still busy with Re:Mind. The development for the next game will not start until after Re:Mind is released, and it's confirmed for this winter... PS5 launches by the end of 2020 and that would leave less than a year for Squareenix to develop the next game, that's a very short time. I know some of the non numbered KH games were developed within a year or two, but a game with KH3-like graphics for PS5 would need much more time than that, even if they reuse assets. And they would have to learn how to use the development kit for the new console and that requires some time, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next non-numbered game goes to Switch instead... they had that awful habit of making us buy multiple systems so we could play all the games. Who's to say they're not going to do it again?
Anyway, I can't afford a Switch -by now- and I don't think I'll be able to buy a PS5 at launch either.

Maybe the 10,000 Heartless at the Keyblade Graveyard will move 5 frames per second instead of 2.
Lol, true. You mean the enemies in the background, right? That was so weird, like they placed a bad GIF in there. Specially the Flutterings and their... fluttering.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Awards
Best-case scenario is that the next KH game still comes out for PS4, but I have a feeling that a Switch game is more likely. I certainly mind that less than a PS5 game, if only because used Switches are on the market and a used Switch Lite will be even more affordable (assuming we get the next KH game in 2021-22). REALLY hoping I won't have to buy another console though, I literally became a PS person for Kingdom Hearts....

Lol, true. You mean the enemies in the background, right? That was so weird, like they placed a bad GIF in there. Specially the Flutterings and their... fluttering.

God, I wish I could lock the game to 30fps if only because of those occasional low framerate animations. They bothered me the whole game, because I first noticed the drop with Herc's spinning attack (the one where he throws a boulder, not Sora). I understand that the game's gonna lag if you put too many moving pieces on screen unless you make sacrifices but.... I wouldn't have minded if the sacrifice had been not putting as many enemies on screen. It's almost nauseating to watch at times. Here's hoping the PS5 manages to fix this in future games.

Last edited:

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I don't think so. Remember they are still busy with Re:Mind. The development for the next game will not start until after Re:Mind is released, and it's confirmed for this winter... PS5 launches by the end of 2020 and that would leave less than a year for Squareenix to develop the next game, that's a very short time. I know some of the non numbered KH games were developed within a year or two, but a game with KH3-like graphics for PS5 would need much more time than that, even if they reuse assets. And they would have to learn how to use the development kit for the new console and that requires some time, too.
Judging on how they release and develop KH games it varies on the game, usually it's 1-2 or 3-7 years for a new KH game (depending of the KH title). For the first KH game, development started in the year 2000 and ended in late 2001/early 2002 (Jan./Feb. 2002) which made it 2 years of development. Kingdom Hearts II started after the release of KH Final Mix in December 2002 until 2005 (2 1/2-3 years).

Not sure how long development for Chain of Memories, Coded, and 358/2 Days took.

For Birth By Sleep, development started since 2005 and lasted until late 2009 (4 years), Dream Drop Distance started since early 2010 following the release of BBS and lasted until late 2011/early 2012 (1 1/2-2 years).

Finally, Kingdom Hearts III had the most interesting development for a KH game, as development started since late 2012/early 2013 but due to a switch from Square's Luminous engine to the Unreal Engine 4 in October 2014, development for KH3 restarted under the new engine up until November 2018 (5-6 years of KH3 being in development (1-2 years under Luminous; 4.25 years under the Unreal Engine 4).

Regarding the II.8 Final Chapter prologue, I'm not sure when development started but I think development for that title started around the same time that KH3 switched into the Unreal Engine 4 (October 2014), even the Graphics from 0.2 Birth By Sleep seems to suggest it was the first KH title that the team were testing on and the graphics for this game looked uncanny when compared to the Unreal Engine graphics of the X Back Cover movie and Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm very curious for how long it will take to develop the next KH game cause they still can reuse the character models and assets from KH3 without restarting from scratch again as they are using the Unreal Engine 4, but when it comes to the new Disney & original worlds and characters they create it may take them another year or two to develop. I do expect the next KH game for the PS5 to come out around 2021 or 2022, mainly the latter as it's the 20th anniversary of the first KH game and the KH franchise.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I guess we'll be at PS8 by the time KH4 comes out at this rate.

EDIT: To be clear, I was referring to how fast Sony is going through systems, not the wait between KH installments. Although I guess the comment could apply both ways. Tbh, I’m hoping the next KH game for main consoles doesn’t release until they’ve moved onto PS6. That’ll save me another $3-400 purchase.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

Awards
Get ready for Kingdom Hearts: The Whole Saga Until Sony Decides to Shorten Generations of Consoles and Skyrocket Production Costs Somehow and Force Us to Do this Song and Dance Again

Awards

EDIT: To be clear, I was referring to how fast Sony is going through systems, not the wait between KH installments. Although I guess the comment could apply both ways. Tbh, I’m hoping the next KH game for main consoles doesn’t release until they’ve moved onto PS6. That’ll save me another $3-400 purchase.

I wouldn't think it would be that long . . . again, at least. I could be wrong, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll get a new Kingdom Hearts game within the PS5's lifespan. I personally think Square Enix is trying to shorten the wait time in-between releases of major games, but that's just my perspective. And with the PS5 being backwards compatible, that makes me happy because I'll most likely be able to play all the remastered games, KH3, and whatever comes out for PS5 in the future. A switch release might be possible for an in-between game like some people said, but Square Enix as a company has surprised us in the past, so I'd say future games being multiplatform is also a likely scenario. I know it's a little different because Disney isn't involved, but the Final Fantasy games have been embracing the idea of Multiplatform releases lately, including the Switch.

okhi12

Awards

Many people say the same, but it is not THAT fast. The PS4 was launched at the end of 2013. That was 6 years ago, and 7 years before the PS5 is launched. Most likely PS4 will coexist with PS5 for at least 1 or 2 years before the developers stop releasing games for PS4 and the production of the console ceases and it is finally discontinued. That would end up being like 8 or 9 years of support, not bad at all (unlike PSVita).

But I get what you mean. I don't think the technological advances in the last 7 years have been that huge and important to justify the release of a new, more powerful system. But you know how the entertainment industry works. Computers can be constantly updated with the most recent hardware and software and in order to avoid being left behind, the console developers release new systems every 'few' years (or even updated models of the same system) so they remain competitive, otherwise people would ultimately choose computers as their preferred gaming system (which many people do, anyway) and consoles wouldn't stand a chance against them.
And of course, companies earn much more money if they can sell a new, expensive system every few years instead of prolonging the life cycle of each product for more than a decade. Business is business and they want the money.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Playstation 5? Are you kidding me? I just got the Playstation 4 last year to get Kingdom Hearts 3 and now the PS5 is coming out? Well I'm not buying a PS5 until it's 100% confirmed that Kingdom Hearts 4 will be on that system. You're killing me Sony!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Calm down guys. I strongly suggest you guys do what I do when I see new system:
1. Save my money.
2. WAIT before I pull the trigger. I want to see 3 games that I want to play before I bite the bullet for any new system to make sure it's worth the money. In the PS5's case, I want to see 3 good rpgs on the system before I pull the trigger and give my brother my old PS4 (after I format it of course and reset it to factory. I don't mind sharing my stuff, but as you guys prolly know, a lot of mine are on disks.)

I'm currently doing that for a Switch since 'Neko has the Switch in the household and..it finaly got the 3 games I wanna play. Saving my money that is. Might be a while before I get that PS5 for that reason. ^^

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Honestly, at this stage in my life the only reason I even have a gaming console is because of KH. As soon as I got confirmation that KH3 was releasing for PS4, I got one. I got a few interesting games that I saw on PS4, but nothing really was must buy except for KH games. I will do the same once a brand new KH game is confirmed for PS5.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Honestly, at this stage in my life the only reason I even have a gaming console is because of KH. As soon as I got confirmation that KH3 was releasing for PS4, I got one. I got a few interesting games that I saw on PS4, but nothing really was must buy except for KH games. I will do the same once a brand new KH game is confirmed for PS5.
Same. I'm not the hardcore gamer I was several years ago. I don't even own a Playstation 3. I mainly bought the PS4 so I could play Kingdom Hearts 3. I was able to get some other games too like the Story So Far collection, Mega Man 11 and legacy collections and Spyro Reignited, but the main event for me getting the PS4 was KH3. So I'll be checking to see if the next big Kingdom Hearts game will be on PS5. If not I'll save my money for the PS6.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I doubt they will rerelease it for PS5 (stand-alone that is. I can see a full Xehanort Saga collection happening) but rather have PS5 enhancements like a locked-in frame rate via patch

Back