• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH2 in the Smithsonian

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Its the Smithsonian Art Museum. So, uh, yeah, its about the best looking games. This thread is filled with people just wanting KH in because its KH. Okami is far more deserving of a place because it is actually artwork. This is nothing but a popularity poll and its a shaming realization that not even gamers can show people that video games are art.

You realize this is the human race you are taking to? The biased thing ever.
fyi, I didn't vote for KH2. I voted for Okami.
All I've been trying to do is say you can't say KH isn't art. >.>

All I'm explaining is that the general quality, style, direction, and implementation of Final Fantasy FMV cutscenes is a lot better than Kingdom Hearts. I'm not saying that Final Fantasy is necessarily a golden standard, or that Kingdom Hearts is somehow illegitimized by having less quality FMV cutscenes or a different approach with in how they're implemented.

Nothing more or less.

And I've agreed to you about that the whole time.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
You realize this is the human race you are taking to? The biased thing ever.
fyi, I didn't vote for KH2. I voted for Okami.
All I've been trying to do is say you can't say KH isn't art. >.>

Alright. So, tell me, when did I say it wasn't?

Oh right. I did not. My point the entire time was that KH2 was not so worthy to be apart of the Smithsonian. Thanks for entirely missing what I have been explaining for the past, what, half hour?

Maxyli138

Its the Smithsonian Art Museum. So, uh, yeah, its about the best looking games. This thread is filled with people just wanting KH in because its KH. Okami is far more deserving of a place because it is actually artwork. This is nothing but a popularity poll and its a shaming realization that not even gamers can show people that video games are art.

I'm not saying KH deserves to be chosen anymore than Okami or FFX. I'm just saying that it's the choice of the voters on whether they want to choose what they think is the best artwork, or just they're favorite game. In my opinion, ALL video games are art in they're own special ways. I will forever say that Pacman, no matter how old or crappy it looks compared to games today, is a piece of art.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Alright. So, tell me, when did I say it wasn't?

Right here:
Wait, since when has KH ever been artistic?

My point the entire time was that KH2 was not so worthy to be apart of the Smithsonian. Thanks for entirely missing what I have been explaining for the past, what, half hour?

You also said "KH" not "KH2" so I assumed you meant the series as a whole wasn't worthy.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
A poor phrasing on my part then. I meant to come off artistic enough to be considered museum worthy. Its competition is includes SotC and Okami. I find it hard to believe anyone would say KH2 has better visuals than either of those games. Its not about your opinion. It is about what is TRULY better designed.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
mfw when people think kh2 belongs in a museum

Really, artistically, the main thing the game has going for it is the mishmash of different art styles, which has merit but the game itself doesn't do much with it.

Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, and FFX are all way more deserving of being in a museum.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Are you joking? KH CGI is at the mediocre level. It is dumbs itself down so the Disney characters aren't awkward as hell. FF's CGI is beautiful. It is simply amazing. A lot of work and effort is put into every little bit. It takes the graphics and pushes them. Hell, look at LA Noir. That is artwork. That is perfection. That is actually trying to make your game a piece of art. KH? No. It is backwash of a greater looking franchise.
That's not dumming down. That's just stylizing it a bit.

Quite frankly, FF's CGI is more realistic, but if I wanted full realism: I'd photograph it.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Even by those terms, the visual quality and composition of the cutscenes featured are far superior, yes. Final Fantasy doesn't use FMV sequences as bookends that show random clips and scenes but integrated into the storytelling itself which the primary reason why it's of a better caliber.

Respectfully, KH2's opening wasnt so random. It took us through key moments in KH1 and COM and introduced Roxas.

KH1's was random, cuz Sora was having a dream. Still some bit of story purpose there.

BBS's was seemingly random, but heavily implied how inter-character relationships were gonna unfold.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
there you go again, claiming personal preference as the only true art.

That's as bad as stating opinion like fact.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
there you go again, claiming personal preference as the only true art.

That's as bad as stating opinion like fact.

This is just about fanboyism. You only want KH2 in because you like the game. Clearly, there are more artistic games in the line up. Clear as day. But you'll die with your game even though you know dead to rights there are better.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
This is just about fanboyism. You only want KH2 in because you like the game. Clearly, there are more artistic games in the line up. Clear as day. But you'll die with your game even though you know dead to rights there are better.
Boy it sure is a good thing that Ulti is the end all and be all judge for what qualifies as art.

Seriously, are you kidding? What is and isn't art is not nearly as simple to define as what you seem to think. "teh bestt grafix!1!1" does not make a game more artistic than all others. Some neat Japanese style does not make something the most artistic. No one aspect, or even many aspects, can automatically define a piece as the "most artistic". Is a painting that uses the most complex techniques automatically the one that gets displayed in a museum? Seriously? How about the painting that uses a different style? Is a Japanese painting more artistic than a collage of Disney characters all drawn together? Or is it more artistic than a perfectly realistic drawing of a fantasy scene? You may think so, but others may very easily disagree. You can't just suddenly claim that something is ultimately superior to something else like that. I'm not saying Okami or FFX don't deserve the spot more than KH2, since I haven't played Okami or FFX so I'm in no fit place to judge, but I'd just like to remind you that what is more artistic is very difficult to determine.

Also, I personally like to think that video games are their own sort of art. Yes, they have their own artistic styles and such, but I think games like the Legend of Zelda do qualify as a new type of art. Seriously, the perfectly balanced dungeons, with complex paths leading you exactly where you need to be while making you feel like you're exploring, and all the while never letting you too far, are definitely a work of art. I don't think this contest is only about graphics, music, and plot. At least to me, very much like movies, video games have introduced new types of art. Again, I'm not implying KH2 should win(since KH2 hardly does what I just talked about at all), I really don't care, but it's just something to consider.

In the end, all I care is that Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance gets in that museum... which is never going to happen, so I really don't care at all.

Last edited:

Maxyli138

Boy it sure is a good thing that Ulti is the end all and be all judge for what qualifies as art.

Seriously, are you kidding? What is and isn't art is not nearly as simple to define as what you seem to think. "teh bestt grafix!1!1" does not make a game more artistic than all others. Some neat Japanese style does not make something the most artistic. No one aspect, or even many aspects, can automatically define a piece as the "most artistic". Is a painting that uses the most complex techniques automatically the one that gets displayed in a museum? Seriously? How about the painting that uses a different style? Is a Japanese painting more artistic than a collage of Disney characters all drawn together? Or is it more artistic than a perfectly realistic drawing of a fantasy scene? You may think so, but others may very easily disagree. You can't just suddenly claim that something is ultimately superior to something else like that. I'm not saying Okami or FFX don't deserve the spot more than KH2, since I haven't played Okami or FFX so I'm in no fit place to judge, but I'd just like to remind you that what is more artistic is very difficult to determine.

Also, I personally like to think that video games are their own sort of art. Yes, they have their own artistic styles and such, but I think games like the Legend of Zelda do qualify as a new type of art. Seriously, the perfectly balanced dungeons, with complex paths leading you exactly where you need to be while making you feel like you're exploring, and all the while never letting you too far, are definitely a work of art. I don't think this contest is only about graphics, music, and plot. At least to me, very much like movies, video games have introduced new types of art. Again, I'm not implying KH2 should win(since KH2 hardly does what I just talked about at all), I really don't care at all, but it's just something to consider.

In the end, all I care is that Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance gets in that museum... which is never going to happen, so I really don't care at all.

Please Sir, I wish to shake your hand.

I agree 100% with this statement. Videogames should be judged on what the voter believes is the best form of art in their eyes, and not just what the game looks like. The music, gameplay, and storyline are part of the art too.

Anna825

Please Sir, I wish to shake your hand.

I agree 100% with this statement. Videogames should be judged on what the voter believes is the best form of art in their eyes, and not just what the game looks like. The music, gameplay, and storyline are part of the art too.

And the haters will argue KHII failed in all aspects, lol.

I guess you should take it up with the people in charge of nominating the nominees for the Smithsonian.

D.D.D

Stuffed in a sack and being thrown through a magic
Almost every game is beautiful in a way. While I agree that Okami payed great respect to traditional Japanese art, FFX AND KH2 both had breathtaking graphics/wonderful artstyles, too. Even Mario has its own unique art and look.
I mean, just look at FFX's graphics. Sure, they pale in comparison to the latest FF's, but at the time they were awe-inspiring, even taking my breath away. That, and the beautiful culture/traditional designs of the people of Spira, Yevon and Al-Bhed, were unique and interesting.
KH2 is artistically beautiful in its cartoon-like style. The environments of the many different worlds were almost exact to their respective movies. The original worlds, like Twilight Town and Radiant Garden, were also gorgeous, too. I would comment on how splendid the look of the first game was, but we're talking about KH2. There seems to be a lot of KH2 dislike in these parts, and I respect that you all found faults within the game. But here's the thing: every game has faults. FFX had faults, Okami had faults, and KH2 had faults, whether it was the voice-acting, the gameplay, the characters, or the storyline. And which game had more faults than the other is up to you. Because, seriously, what one major flaw is to you might be a great addition to another person. Personally, I loved the Reaction Commands. Sure, they made the game easier. But if the KH team hadn't of had ANY flashy, attractive moves in the game, you'd all be complaining about that, too. Same with if Sora had been an emo mope like Roxas the whole game. Or if Nojima all of the sudden got an idea during writing that included a whole scenario as you playing Kairi. Just trust me, there were a lot of things that KH2 DIDN'T have that I'm sure you're glad about, like the Gummi Ship missions from the first.
/rant
Long story, short: let's just all agree that we disagree.

Last edited:

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
So.... video games are now considered art to be put in a museum? Video games are meant to be played, not displayed. It seems like a waste of a video game disk in my opinion.

I don't think they'll be playing the game. Maybe they'll show the trailer and put the disc on display.

I'm glad that someone is actually thinking of Video games as a work of art. Most art experts are still currently fighting if video games should be thought of as art.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
Anyway, I don't really understand why ANY KH game would be on the Smithsonian... or any video game for that matter. I just don't picture "video games" as something that can be in a museum.

Well it is the Smithsonian... I been there before and let me tell you, that place is a time capsule. They have all kinds of things, not just the average stuff you see in a museum, like Dinosaur bones, mummies, etc. They have Star Wars stuff, things from other eras for future generations to see. That's basically why they are putting the video games up, it's part of our culture and eras. So they are trying to tribute it, which I think it's awesome, finally video games are thought of something more than just a toy. It's thought of as an art.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
This is quite interesting...gah that'd be amazing if they have a video game exhibit at the Smithsonian involving Kingdom Hearts! 8D

KairiNamineMix

totally tried my best to support you! spreading the word to ALL my Kingdom Hearts Buddies! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back