• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH Unsolved Mysteries

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

chenoehii

Awards
I've recently started playing kh1 again in the effort of actually finishing it this time for once, feeling very nostalgic, and while I've enjoyed actually defeating Clayton and learning how to equip and add items (10-year-old me wasn't very bright with that lol) I have wanted to go through the games and actually note different oddities and mysteries that have never been solved as it may relate to the future of this series. And I'm interested in knowing what other people's thoughts are on all this stuff too.

So for one, many have already pointed out that Riku's Ansem SoD possession outfit is like Vanitas' outfit, and we pretty much suspect that Vanitas is one of 13 darknesses that the MoM wanted to seal inside people, having stayed inside Ven all this time. But that's doesn't explain why Riku, when possessed by Ansem/Xehanort takes on a similar form. If the other darknesses were to be given a form too, would they look like Vanitas? Or is that appearance somehow related to Xehanort and some how his doing? There's various theories but we don't know anything exactly yet.

Then there's Riku's keyblades having the MoM's eye on them, mostly tied to his possession and Xehanort's influence since his new KH3 Keyblade doesn't have it, but then that begs the question: how are Xehanort and the MoM related? There's so much we don't know about him still, and the end of UX emphasized that.

Any other unresolved mysteries from the games (specifically the earlier games) that you guys have noticed?

(As I'm playing through kh1 and COM, I just thought it would be fun to look out for some things along the way that I might have missed bc I never got to really play those before now, and I've never played anything after kh2 so all my information is through YouTube, wiki, and here lol.)

Soldier

Awards
I've recently started playing kh1 again in the effort of actually finishing it this time for once, feeling very nostalgic, and while I've enjoyed actually defeating Clayton and learning how to equip and add items (10-year-old me wasn't very bright with that lol) I have wanted to go through the games and actually note different oddities and mysteries that have never been solved as it may relate to the future of this series. And I'm interested in knowing what other people's thoughts are on all this stuff too.

So for one, many have already pointed out that Riku's Ansem SoD possession outfit is like Vanitas' outfit, and we pretty much suspect that Vanitas is one of 13 darknesses that the MoM wanted to seal inside people, having stayed inside Ven all this time. But that's doesn't explain why Riku, when possessed by Ansem/Xehanort takes on a similar form. If the other darknesses were to be given a form too, would they look like Vanitas? Or is that appearance somehow related to Xehanort and some how his doing? There's various theories but we don't know anything exactly yet.

Then there's Riku's keyblades having the MoM's eye on them, mostly tied to his possession and Xehanort's influence since his new KH3 Keyblade doesn't have it, but then that begs the question: how are Xehanort and the MoM related? There's so much we don't know about him still, and the end of UX emphasized that.

Any other unresolved mysteries from the games (specifically the earlier games) that you guys have noticed?

(As I'm playing through kh1 and COM, I just thought it would be fun to look out for some things along the way that I might have missed bc I never got to really play those before now, and I've never played anything after kh2 so all my information is through YouTube, wiki, and here lol.)
Xehanort and MoM are related through the No Name (Xehanort's signature Keyblade). In X back cover MoM explains to Luxu that the eye at the end of the hilt is one of MoM's eyes, fated to see everything that will happen with it, which is what allowed the book of prophecies to exist. The key would be passed down from keyblade user to keyblade user until it ended up in Xehanort's possession, and later Terra Xehanort. Following Terra Xehanort splitting apart into his heartless and nobody, the eye seems to be a reoccuring theme with those associated with Xehanort (or Ansem in Riku's case). Riku's Soul eater has one, Void gear has one as well, the chaos ripper keyblade in terra's route also has one. Did Nomura plan to have it associated with evil from the beginning? probably not as the soul eater is rarely used in the original KH 1. But it is worth noting that those who associate with the wielder of No Name come to possess a similar eye in their weapons as the series progresses.

Chie

Awards
The big curious thing to me is that we're told Xemnas created the Nobody symbol (by Nomura I think) based on the TAV symbol, but in the very same game that that is relevant, Xehanort's old Keyblade Armor appears and (like in KH2) it has the Nobody symbol on it. So Xemnas didn't actually create it, though maybe he thought he did. So did it mean anything originally, or just a random symbol on his armor that he liked?

Cynical people might call that a "mistake", but as we've talked about on here before, it's being shown very deliberately that the Unversed symbol dates back to Scala times.

Awards
The big curious thing to me is that we're told Xemnas created the Nobody symbol (by Nomura I think) based on the TAV symbol, but in the very same game that that is relevant, Xehanort's old Keyblade Armor appears and (like in KH2) it has the Nobody symbol on it. So Xemnas didn't actually create it, though maybe he thought he did. So did it mean anything originally, or just a random symbol on his armor that he liked?

Cynical people might call that a "mistake", but as we've talked about on here before, it's being shown very deliberately that the Unversed symbol dates back to Scala times.
Firstly, what's TAV?

But, to answer your question, if you look at Terra, Aqua, Ventus, and Eraqus they all have a symbol on them that looks like the nobody symbol, but right side up (if we assume that the nobody symbol is the one that's upside down, anyway), so he probably just got it from there. All the Dark Road characters also have the symbol, so it might be some sort of old keyblade user symbol, but not as old as the time of Union X because, as far as I know, no one has it there.

Chie

Awards
All the Dark Road characters also have the symbol
Indeed, but look at Xehanort's in DR. It has the symbol from BBS that everyone else has on the head, but it also has the Nobody symbol front and center on his chest and legs.

Soldier

Awards
Maybe this was answered in an Ansem report somewhere, but just in case: how did Ansem know the identities of the Seven Princesses in order to use them as his password?
I think it's a matter of the password being set by Xehanort instead of Ansem, for a few reasons.
Up until birth by sleep, very few people are able to access/have knowledge of other worlds. Ansem the Wise learned of the heart of Radiant Garden in report 6, and then studied meteors that fell later that night (which we know are gummi blocks, and whenever there's a meteor shower, the world is opened up to outside forces). In the very next report, he meets King Mickey and learns of the keyblade, which to people back in the first game, would make people think it's the ansem of that game (Xehanort's heartless). But the Ansem who wrote the original report is Ansem the Wise, as we do get confirmation that Mickey would routinely visit.

It's revealed in the second visit of Space Paranoids (after fighting the program the MCP sends after you) that Ansem the Wise took a copy of Space Paranoids from whatever world it originated from (which is likely destroyed by now, and the original copy) and modified Tron accordingly to help manage Radiant Garden. THEN Xehanort took over, deposed Ansem the Wise, stole his name, apprentices and castle and reinstated the MCP. Tron even states that Ansem (Xehanort) is his enemy because "The Ansem I first knew wouldn't do that". Since Xehanort likely regained his memories, he would likely remember the names of the seven hearts of light (notably the ones that TAV encountered on their journey, and Kairi according to MoM.) and would then use THAT as his password. Notice on of how the information to discover this information is behind a PORTRAIT OF XEHANORT, and is focused on the Door To Darkness, something Xehanort was interested in, NOT Ansem the Wise.

(All this knowledge on a video game, a B.S in science and I'm failing a chemistry class, what is my life?)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
We still don't really know when and how Riku obtained Way to Dawn. We can guesstimate based on how he had Soul Eater in the Land of Dragons 2nd visit but had obtained Way to Dawn by time Sora and co. arrive in TWTNW. We know Soul Eater was the intermediary for Way to Dawn, but it didn't necessarily get replaced by the Keyblade since Riku could still summon it as of KH3D.

That's the one nugget of story I want really bad. What was the BIG moment when Riku got his Keyblade?

Also we don't know if Riku still has Soul Eater after getting Braveheart. Not that it matters...I just want to know for my own dumb curiosity.

This isn't so much a mystery as it is me nitpicking but Riku is like the only person who knew Sora who remembers Sora during the year he slept. Was this due to Namine's intervention, Riku's bond with Sora, or was Riku just that stubborn lol

Maybe this was answered in an Ansem report somewhere, but just in case: how did Ansem know the identities of the Seven Princesses in order to use them as his password?
Pretty certain it wasn't Ansem the Wise's password but Xehanort's password since he's the one who had been using that computer.

(Also can we talk about how bad the password security is in this franchise? Tron making "Sora Donald Goofy" a password is insane).

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
We still don't really know when and how Riku obtained Way to Dawn. We can guesstimate based on how he had Soul Eater in the Land of Dragons 2nd visit but had obtained Way to Dawn by time Sora and co. arrive in TWTNW. We know Soul Eater was the intermediary for Way to Dawn, but it didn't necessarily get replaced by the Keyblade since Riku could still summon it as of KH3D.

That's the one nugget of story I want really bad. What was the BIG moment when Riku got his Keyblade?

Also we don't know if Riku still has Soul Eater after getting Braveheart. Not that it matters...I just want to know for my own dumb curiosity.

This isn't so much a mystery as it is me nitpicking but Riku is like the only person who knew Sora who remembers Sora during the year he slept. Was this due to Namine's intervention, Riku's bond with Sora, or was Riku just that stubborn lol

Pretty certain it wasn't Ansem the Wise's password but Xehanort's password since he's the one who had been using that computer.

(Also can we talk about how bad the password security is in this franchise? Tron making "Sora Donald Goofy" a password is insane).
I thought Nomura explained in an interview that Riku went shopping for keyblades and stumbled upon a 2-for-1 sale, that's how he also picked up Kairi's keyblade.

I feel like Riku tossed Souleater in the bin after getting Braveheart. He probably officially moved on from that era in his life after Way To The Dawn broke AND he was ready to part ways with Riku Replica.

I don't think Sora Donald Goofy is a bad password. It would probably be amazing in real life, as it could be soRadoNaldGooFy Sora.Donald.Goofy or any variation of that. The seven princesses of heart being the password is insanely difficult too. You'd have to get the right order, whether it's in all caps or not, are there spaces etc.

Okay. Then how did Xehanort know them?
That's a good question. Xehanort should only know Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella, and MAYBE Kairi and Belle. Jasmine and Alice were only discovered as princesses of heart in KH1. Xehanort was using Maleficent to find them, so I doubt he knew about Jasmine and Alice before turning into Ansem/Xemnas.

Maybe because Wonderland and Agrabah appear in the ancient days (when Xehanort was young), he was somehow able to figure out those two specifically?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
That's a good question. Xehanort should only know Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella, and MAYBE Kairi and Belle. Jasmine and Alice were only discovered as princesses of heart in KH1. Xehanort was using Maleficent to find them, so I doubt he knew about Jasmine and Alice before turning into Ansem/Xemnas.

Maybe because Wonderland and Agrabah appear in the ancient days (when Xehanort was young), he was somehow able to figure out those two specifically?
Perhaps that password is recent and was something else earlier.

Soldier

Awards
Time Travel...maybe?
That's easy, He explored worlds during his training.
I believe in one of the Xehanort reports while he was training with Eraqus, he was told to not venture out to other worlds and go into the lanes between without keyblade armor on. He would then proceed to defy his master and do just that. We're not told explicitly WHICH worlds he visited, but it's easy to speculate it may have been the ones with princesses in them. One of the keyblade master's duties is to ensure the safety of the princesses of heart, as they're more vulnerable to dark forces than regular people. Either of these possible situations would grant old man Xehanort the knowledge that

A: There are seven pure hearts filled with only light
B: having a heart of pure light clash with one of darkness will form the X-blade
Simply put, his plan in Bbs was a contingency plan, plan A, B and C. If Ventus refused to fight Vanitas, he'd use Aqua in his place, If neither of them fought, they go after the princesses. In III this is further hinted at when Larxene suggests that if the seven guardians of light aren't gathered, they WILL target the new seven princesses.

(He also is the one who filled Maleficent in on the presence of other worlds and the princesses, and created that disaster to do all the hard work for him).

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Perhaps that password is recent and was something else earlier.
That creates two more questions: Who changed the password from the original one to the 7 princesses of heart AND how did that person know the 7 princesses of heart?

Maybe it was Xemnas? There is footage of him visiting that area of Hollow Bastion. It's also assumed that Leon and the gang only recently (shortly before KH2's start) found the computer room, so Xemnas could have teleported in without anyone seeing him.

Soldier

Awards
That creates two more questions: Who changed the password from the original one to the 7 princesses of heart AND how did that person know the 7 princesses of heart?

Maybe it was Xemnas? There is footage of him visiting that area of Hollow Bastion. It's also assumed that Leon and the gang only recently (shortly before KH2's start) found the computer room, so Xemnas could have teleported in without anyone seeing him.
Oh my... this is rather unfortunate, I go in depth to explain this and yet it seems as though someone didn't read my above post.

So ORIGINALLY, Ansem the Wise was responsible for starting up space paranoids and created an original password. Following that, Xehanort enters the picture and changes said password to the seven princesses of heart, as he by this point has usurped the original Ansem, took his name, castle and apprentices. He then reinstates the MCP and Sark, which is something Tron states, the Ansem he knew wouldn't do that. Xehanort at this point remembers his past and the princesses, not Ansem the Wise.

Also, Xemnas visiting the computer room DURING the battle of 1000 heartless has him enter the disc into the slot and then enter in a password with 6 boxes (not 7) that he fills in. Ansem the Wise had 6 apprentices, and their names fill in said slots, giving access to the rooms where the experiments were being performed (In other words, the cells where test subjects were held and experimented on).

redcrown

Awards
How were the pods Sora Donald and Goofy were sleeping in Castle Oblivion transferred to Twilight Town? How far into Namine's memory restoration did it happen, was progress interrupted during the move? Did AtW have to build his secret lab to accommodate or was it already there?

Also what was the landscape transition between the Door to Darkness in KH1->grassy hills chasing Pluto->Castle Oblivion?

How did Riku end up in that (realm of sleep?) space of grey nothingness from the realm of Darkness with Mickey? How did Ansem the Wise find him and teleport him to CO?

I do have more questions but they lean more into "what was this character doing during this unseen time", character motivations, and things that will probably (hopefully) be answered in future games, but these are the more technical mysteries of the older games I can think of.

Soldier

Awards
Riku had Kairi's keyblade shoved up his ass and I need to know why
Tons of people have things shoved up their asses in this series. Aerith pulls the membership cards out of her ass, and Lea gives Kairi ICE CREAM that he stored in his 'back pocket". Except that since he's wearing the organization 13 coat, we ALL know there are no back pockets on that thing.

Back