• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH series analysis: Magic

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

So this is an idea I've had for a while in regards to the series, but only now decided to do it if only for the fact that we know KH 4 IS confirmed. Most of you know that I'm a biologist in real life (general biology at least) and with that comes the typical analytical view that comes with the scientific territories. What I'm planning on doing is analyzing something in the KH series either from a scientific angle (I plan on doing one on the nobodies, and will try to make it seem as though it's a research journal) or just a broad observation of it. Due to the myriad of games a lot of this might seem like a pointless and/or herculean task but I think it's worth a shot.
So with that out of the way, let's talk about magic:

In most media, there is usually a set precedent in a given property as to how magic works, and it is narrowed down to 3 options:

Option 1: characters can always have access to magic, but are primarily given specific attributes/forms due to their genetics (such as Avatar and their bending forms, or Re:Zero and the various elements that people can cast). There is little to no risk of using said magic, but it does drain the stamina over time if used excessively

Option 2: Magic is something that's present in most people, but often comes at a cost, such as the vitality of the user, or is something that can be used by everyone, but is limited in supply and can only be used a set amount of times. A good example is in the Fire Emblem series, some games require you to sacrifice a bit of HP to cast spells, while others give you tomes to cast spells with limited uses. Not everyone can cast magic, but the ones who can often learn a variety of spells to cast.

Option 3: Magic needs a conduit to be cast, and in the absence of one it becomes a danger to the caster. This often seems to be the most used option in fantasy settings, as numerous series rely on this rule for world building. A good example is in the Gargoyles TV series, where it is expressly stated that mortal beings can't cast magic without something to give them the magic, be it a spell book or a place where mana is in abundance.

For the most part, KH is a series that uses option 3 the most, with numerous examples to back up my reasoning. In the first game, Sora is able to cast magic once he learns it from very specific events, such as defeating a boss or is given it as a reward from a chest or battle. Like most RPG weapons, certain keychains enhance or decrease the amount of magic Sora has and how much damage it deals, and the same can be said for Donald and Goofy with their staff and shield respectively. It is also apparent that magic is something that stays with the user if the main conduit is lost or taken from them as seen in Hollow Bastion when Riku takes the keyblade from him. You CAN cast magic with the wooden sword, even spells that if real world physics are applied would destroy the toy blade in seconds. However, their power is significantly weaker because of the basic item as opposed to the inherent strength of the key-shaped sword the player was using for most of the game.

The conduit option also applies to NPC's as well, Disney mages such as Merlin, the Fairy Godmother, Jafar, Ursula and Maleficent make use of their weapons of choice to cast magic, though due to them having more experience than the key bearer their spells are of a much greater caliber. The musical heartless (Red Nocturne, Blue Rhapsody, Yellow Opera, Black Ballade and Green Requiem) cast spells through their rod shaped hats and the wizard and defender heartless cast it through their staff and shield. Even creatures with no hands to hold a conduit aren't exempt from mystical arts such as Cerberus, who while not possessing a specific conduit from which to cast spells, is inherently able to do so due to his mythological status, and behemoths who cast spells through their horns. The only true anomaly is Leon, who is able to cast a fireball out of his left hand and not from his gun blade. This can be chalked up to him being a final fantasy character and thus operates on different rules than that of heartless and Disney characters, but it is worth pointing out that in his game of origin, he is able to summon Espers that CAN cast magic.

Party members (Both Disney and otherwise) use magic too, but their reasonings are often unique to the character. The first world specific party member in the series (Tarzan) can cast cure and aero on party members, despite not using anything resembling magic in his movie of origin. This is explained through his abilities as him using herbs to heal his allies (makes sense given he's likely very knowledgeable about the jungle's flora) and wind armor that provides defense with a cloak of air.... hm, Option 2 it is. Jack Skellington is a bit of an odd case though, but his movie provides some hint towards why he functions similar to a mage from Final Fantasty. In the movie during his introduction as the pumpkin king he sets his suit ablaze with fire with seemingly little worry. While you can make the argument that Dr. Finklestein made him a flameproof suit and the fact he's already a skeleton makes fire effectively an afterthought, I'd like to bring up that we don't really know if that's something the doctor designed for jack or not. In a world where witches can be your next door neighbor, why not a skeleton that can breathe fire?

In KH COM we're introduced to the organization, whose members are often specialized in a specific element, even if said element isn't available to Sora (Xaldin in KH 2 for example). Their mastery over their specific attribute is channeled through their weapons of choice, so they would seemingly fit natrually into option 3. However, their inclusion in Days as playable characters could deem them as following option 2 since they can cast elements besides the one they primarily use (Vexen can cast fire magic, so can Lexaeus despite his element of earth not seeing much usage as a spell until BBS's quake). However Days is a special case where it uses a panel system, and magic is equipped similar to that of a potion or ether, and as a result can be used even by those not known to cast spells in the main series (such as Goofy, though why would you when his magic stat sucks).

There are other beings in the franchise that don't inherently fall into any of the categories, those being creatures like Genie, Tinkerbell and Mushu, to name a few. Genie clearly isn't limited to one specific element of magic, as seen in KH 1 and COM where he casts off various spells Sora can learn, and Mushu doesn't use a conduit to cast fire (though in a sense, he IS a conduit himself when with Mulan in KH 2, allowing her to do fire damage to enemies), meaning he falls under option 1. Tinker Bell (and by extension Peter Pan) can fly even when outside of Neverland (as seen with both of their summons) and the former is able to cast cure spells without a conduit. However, I think all 3 of the mentioned characters are exempt from the grouping due to their fantastical nature as creatures that originated in myths and folklore and are innately magical by default.

So how did I do? would you want to see more analysis threads like this? let me know.

Last edited:

Alexxio M.

Awards
Amazingly well done I personally think magic in kh dabbles in all three options however mostly in the last two due to potions and ether’s, the existence of Keyblades, every main character seemingly being able to use magic, mp as a game mechanic, the lexicon existing etc. A few points in the first options corner though are the magical attributes given to org members and their weapons, the magic spells being organized into different types as seen by their effects and names and also mp as a game mechanic. I myself have also started writing about how magic works in kh for my fanfiction series this was a good help and I would definitely like to see more analysis posts from you.

Soldier

Awards
Amazingly well done I personally think magic in kh dabbles in all three options however mostly in the last two due to potions and ether’s, the existence of Keyblades, every main character seemingly being able to use magic, mp as a game mechanic, the lexicon existing etc. A few points in the first options corner though are the magical attributes given to org members and their weapons, the magic spells being organized into different types as seen by their effects and names and also mp as a game mechanic. I myself have also started writing about how magic works in kh for my fanfiction series this was a good help and I would definitely like to see more analysis posts from you.
Hm, interesting points. I'll see what I can do to add those in.
As for why I didn't add in the organization in option 1 as an example is because whether or not they're locked to their specific element is debatable. Sure, in the games they are fought as bosses they'll only use their element, but their inclusion in days and the way that magic system works changes things. You could have Lexaeus casting ice magic, despite largely being reliant on physical attacks and other bizarre instances that were only added for fairness.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Hm, interesting points. I'll see what I can do to add those in.
As for why I didn't add in the organization in option 1 as an example is because whether or not they're locked to their specific element is debatable. Sure, in the games they are fought as bosses they'll only use their element, but their inclusion in days and the way that magic system works changes things. You could have Lexaeus casting ice magic, despite largely being reliant on physical attacks and other bizarre instances that were only added for fairness.
I mean we saw Larxene control ice in Arendelle. She also made a whole point about Elsa's magic.

I'm wondering if the theme for KH IV will be worlds focused on magic? That would be perfect for Encanto to be a world that explores how some people can access magic or not in the KH lore (using Mirabel).

Regarding the DISNEY characters using a conduit to cast magic, Ursula was using the trident's power, but she used her mouth and/or mind to use magic in the 2nd boss fight. Genie doesn't use anything to cast his magic. If you assume Tinker Bell and Peter Pan are using magic, they just have it (probably granted by the world). Jack casts magic with his hands, but that is questionable whether its canon or not he actually uses magic or if that's just gameplay.

I do think magic will be a big deal in the next game - especially with the tagline "Magic in the Making". It makes me think that they will explore worlds that focus on magic like Frozen II, Encanto, Star Wars (the force). It would be perfect to go to Princess and the Frog, especially with a character like Dr. Facilier.

Soldier

Awards
I mean we saw Larxene control ice in Arendelle. She also made a whole point about Elsa's magic.

I'm wondering if the theme for KH IV will be worlds focused on magic? That would be perfect for Encanto to be a world that explores how some people can access magic or not in the KH lore (using Mirabel).

Regarding the DISNEY characters using a conduit to cast magic, Ursula was using the trident's power, but she used her mouth and/or mind to use magic in the 2nd boss fight. Genie doesn't use anything to cast his magic. If you assume Tinker Bell and Peter Pan are using magic, they just have it (probably granted by the world). Jack casts magic with his hands, but that is questionable whether its canon or not he actually uses magic or if that's just gameplay.

I do think magic will be a big deal in the next game - especially with the tagline "Magic in the Making". It makes me think that they will explore worlds that focus on magic like Frozen II, Encanto, Star Wars (the force). It would be perfect to go to Princess and the Frog, especially with a character like Dr. Facilier.
Larxene controlling ice in Arendelle actually is more scientific based than magic based when you think about it. Ice is water frozen in a solid form, and as such can still be manipulated with a magnetic field produced by electricity. Of course, it's likely that she's able to control the heat in the electricity so it doesn't evaporate into water, or the fact that it's some B.S that Nomura had to cook up because he really wanted a frozen world, but Disney's stranglehold forced him to come up with something else.

I think in the case of Genie and Tinker Bell, it's more so that they're based off mythological creatures that are innately magical in some way, shape or form. I'll add that to the analysis. And technically Jack does use magic in his movie of origin, as the pumpkin king he sets himself ablaze with little to no consequences (his suit did not burn away after all), so it might be a canon reason for his abilities.

Last edited:

Alexxio M.

Awards
Returning to the elements given to the org members I think there’s a sort of affinity for the magic attribute given to a certain org member. However that doesn’t mean they can’t use other spells it’s just that spells with the same magic attribute perhaps are more powerful and that’s why they tend to lean on those spells during boss fights.

Alexxio M.

Awards
Here’s what i have for the lore page on magic I’m working on
*this is for fanfic purposes so things like Donald and Goofy’s weapons being made out of the same things as the Gummi ship is purely speculation.

Magic types

Noun- the different elements assigned to spells, supernatural abilities and magic creatures such as the titans.

Magic affinity

Noun- an exceptional skill with and or resistance towards a certain magic type that can be obtained through genetics and or circumstance (ie being a princess of heart, a nobody of a princess of heart or really intense training/exposure in the cases of Aqua, Terra and Riku)

Note- people without magic affinities can still use magic

With the advent of Gummi objects (ie the gummi ship, Donald’s staff and goofy’s shield) and the use of Keyblades magic produced by a person alone (ie without a conduit like a staff or tome) is an exceedingly rare sight to see.

The magic types
  1. Fire
  2. Water
  3. Blizzard/Ice
  4. Thunder
  5. Light
  6. Air
  7. Nature
  8. Earth
  9. Astral
  10. Dark

Note- spells can have up to two magic types assigned to them for example the spell meteor is classified as both a fire and earth spell

Spell’s and other examples

Fire- Fire, Fira, Firaga, Dark Fire, Dark Fira, Dark Firaga, Flare, Mega Flare, Zettaflare, Fire raid, Firaga Burst, Fire edge, Heat storm, Fire Boost, Flare Force, Donald Meteor, Flame Cores, Fiery Globes, Flare Notes, Fire Plants, Crimson Jazz’s, Red Nocturnes, Scarlet Tango’s, Heat Sabers, the Frolic flame keyblade, the bonds of the blaze keyblade, Axel’s final battle with Roxas, Ifrit etc

Water- Water, Watera, Waterga, Waterza, Water Cores, Demyx’s powers, Turquoise March’s, Marine Rhumba’s, Ariels elemental summon etc

Blizzard/ Ice- Blizzard, Blizzara, Blizzaga, Blue Rhapsody’s, Icy Beast’s, Chill Ripper’s, Winter horns, Marshmallow & Olaf, Elsa’s whole thing, Skater Bombs, Blizzard Plants, Frost Serpent, Blizzard Lord, Ice Cannons, Glacial Fortresses, the Diamond Dust and Frozen Fortune command styles, Blue Sea Salt’s, Avalanches, the Ice Titan, Even’s nobody powers, Blizzagun etc

Thunder- Thunder, Thundara, Thundaga, Paralysis Archers, Elrena’s knifes, Blitz Spears, Yellow Operas, Yellow Mustards etc

Nature- Poison, Poisona, Poison Edge, the thorns in the realm of darkness version of dwarf woodlands, Lauriam’s nobody powers, Marluxia’s guardian powers, flower riders, Candy & Poison apples, Puff Balls & Chief Puffs etc

Light- Ars arcanum, Ars Solum, Cure, Cura, Curaga, Reflect, Reflera, Reflega, light guard, Light burst, Barrier, Esuna, Break Time, Kairi’s purifying abilities (as seen when she revives sora from being a heartless), the protection spell Aqua put on Kairi, etc

Air- Aero, Aerora, Aeroga, Tornado Steps, Air flair, glide, double jump, Air slide, Aero Raid, Wind Sweep & storm, Aero Blast & buster, Aero slam, Spring Metals, Malachite Bolero’s, Xaldin’s powers, Emerald Blues, Flowmotion Etc

Earth- Donald Meteor, Meteor, Meteor crash , Geo Impact, Earth Cores, the Rock Titan, Rising Rock, the Rockbreaker command style, Quake etc

Astral- Gravity, Gravira, Graviga, Naminé’s memory powers, Stop, Stopra, Stopga, Magnet, Magnera, Magnega, Chirithy’s Dream manipulation, teleport, No Name’s foresight, Ienzo’s illusions, summon magic in general etc

Dark- dark corridors, heartless’s existence, The 13 willful darknesses, Possessors, Dark Fire, Dark Fira, Dark Firaga, Dark Wisps, the Dark Impulse command style, Dark Volley, Dark Haze, Chaos blade, Rage form etc

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Soldier

Awards
Pretty solid, though would abilities like Ars Arcanum and Ars Solumn count as light based attacks? I know they bathe the keyblade of the user in light, but it doesn't seem to do any more damage than your average strike. Also, you put Mega flare as a type of fire magic, in KH this is technically true as it is resisted by red nocturnes and wizards in COM, but is otherwise not tied to a specific element. (Also, you forgot to put Lexaeus's powers down for earth).

Alexxio M.

Awards
Pretty solid, though would abilities like Ars Arcanum and Ars Solumn count as light based attacks? I know they bathe the keyblade of the user in light, but it doesn't seem to do any more damage than your average strike. Also, you put Mega flare as a type of fire magic, in KH this is technically true as it is resisted by red nocturnes and wizards in COM, but is otherwise not tied to a specific element. (Also, you forgot to put Lexaeus's powers down for earth).
yes, ars arcanum and solum count as light-based attacks in my opinion. I put mega flare as a fire spell due to Zettaflare and also Donald's flare special attack from KH3. Since you mentioned missing Lexaeus (i totally forgot about him tbh) I would also like to ask where I should put Isa's beserk mode? Because of his moon motif as well as some evidence from boss fights here are the options I'm thinking of Astral and earth, astral and dark, a different form of earth magic, or just plain astral magic. I look forward to seeing your opinion, thank you for the feedback and catching Lexaeus.

Last edited:
Back