• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH references and cameos in other media?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

RonaldPoe

Awards
I looked it up and the Yugioh arctype is called "Magikey". On a related note, Little Kuriboh has directly referenced Kingdom Hearts on Yugioh Abridged and is a confirmed fan. He even used "Dearly Beloved" as sentimental background music during a preview for a "Very Speical Episode of Zorc and Pals (a sitcom parody)..

In Adventure Quest, Voltaire (Goth musician that I'm a fan of) has a keyblade (the Voltarian Keyblade) and gives it away during events. However he hasn't confirmed if it's a direct KH reference yet.

Last edited:

GreyouTT

Awards
I was a Bleach fan back then and I noticed a Bleach poster in the wall in that episode (it's very easy to see) but I had no idea of the KH add!
Final Fantasy references are common in media, but KH ones are indeed very rare.
Funnily, I got into Bleach because the first movie was called "Memories of a Nobody" and they were promoting it airing on Adult Swim.

okhi12

Awards
Funnily, I got into Bleach because the first movie was called "Memories of a Nobody" and they were promoting it airing on Adult Swim.
To be honest I always thought the Blanks (or whatever those white beings with red heads in the film were called) were somewhat reminiscent of the KH nobodies. They're some kind of incomplete beings (like the husk of a lost soul) and they lacked their memories just like nobodies lack hearts. They also lived in a dimension in-between of sorts.

Now I wonder if they were inspired by KH2. KH2 came out in 2005 in Japan, and that movie came out in 2006, so it's not unlikely.

Last edited:

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
There was the reference in Final Fantasy XV. But FFXV was also owned by Square, so of course they would have referenced it:)

And a lot of people think Sora is in Tapper's Bar in Wreck-It-Ralph, but I don't know if I believe that.

And Kingdom Hearts is referenced in the book "Vacations from Hell":
...I know nothing about RWBY, but I hear some of the characters in it might be based on some of the KH girls? Which would make sense, I guess, since MontyOum (may he rest in peace) was a Kingdom Hearts fan. And I think I also heard that one of the writers for RWBY has a music playlist on YouTube titled "Kairi". Though I don't know if that counts, and I could easily be remembering wrong. Again: I really know nothing about RWBY. I'm just going off of things I've read from RWBY fans or been told by them.

I also know in some video game (...I think it was a game), there's a girl with heart symbols on her dress that looks remarkably like the heart used for the Kingdom Hearts logo, but I can't think of what game it is and I don't know if it was intentional or not.

This also probably doesn't count (or it does in the worst way), but didn't some Peter Pan game actually steal assets from KH1? Though I don't know if it was an official game or a fan one. Surely the latter, right?

Edit: And speaking of MontyOum, his Dead Fantasy surely counts some, since Kairi and Naminé were in that.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Foto%2BPeter%2BPan.jpg

GreyouTT

Awards
Ah, I nearly forgot about that. but that's not so much a reference as it is blatantly stealing art.
Oh dang I thought Chaser was just making a joke about Neverland. I didn't see Destiny Islands until I saw this.

Soldier

Awards
Yeah aha. It's the one mentioned at the end of LightUpTheSky's post. Absolutely bonkers how that developer worked.
It's pretty shameless how bad phoenix games is from a business standpoint. They rely on manufacturing bootlegs of iconic movies (some of which have INCREDIBLY offensive characters in them, cough cough Snow White and the seven clever boys cough) or just straight up stealing art. We all want more KH references in other media, but this I think we can all agree isn't what we need.

Oh dang I thought Chaser was just making a joke about Neverland. I didn't see Destiny Islands until I saw this.
Yep, that's the official artwork with a poor CGI render of Peter Pan superimposed over it to hide it. It's like they're not even trying.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Not really a mainstream media, but one of the comic book podcasts I listen to makes references to the series every now and then.

Especially since a new villain appeared in Nightwing called Heartless, who steals hearts. But I think CapedJoel did confirm he is a fan of the series, so it's not too surprising he'd be cracking jokes about Nightwing getting Keybatons and fighting the new villain.

okhi12

Awards
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for the GBA had a special vampire enemy whose description in the spanish version said ''Ser de la oscuridad. Un sincorazón'' which translates as ''Being of darkness. A heartless''. It was an obvious KH reference, but I don't know if it was only in the spanish version. Sadly, I don't remember the number or name of that mission so I can't check it out.

Edit: Found it, the enemy is the Dread Lord from the Last Stand Mission.
Screenshot_20210504-214645.png

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It’s about time that game made references. I remember there was a wreck it ralph event years ago and there was some line that people thought was a KH reference but it was a little generalised to be confirmed, but those lines are definitely KH 😂

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

DraceEmpressa

Awards
Twisted Wonderland have Silver, who looks awful lot like Riku (right). He isn't only looks like Riku, he is adopted by Malleus who is twisted from Maleficent (left) and has been serving him as one of his royal knights since, that kinda parallels how Riku side with Maleficent in KH1 somehow. Furthermore, generally the dorm uniform of Diasomnia (the sleeping beauty dorm) feature the KH crown .

I may overthink it, but of course of all dorms it has to be the sleeping beauty dorm who had the Nomura-level belts and Maleficent the most prominent Disney villain in KH....

Mallsilvuni.jpg

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Twisted Wonderland have Silver, who looks awful lot like Riku (right). He isn't only looks like Riku, he is adopted by Malleus who is twisted from Maleficent (left) and has been serving him as one of his royal knights since, that kinda parallels how Riku side with Maleficent in KH1 somehow. Furthermore, generally the dorm uniform of Diasomnia (the sleeping beauty dorm) feature the KH crown .

I may overthink it, but of course of all dorms it has to be the sleeping beauty dorm who had the Nomura-level belts and Maleficent the most prominent Disney villain in KH....

View attachment 13888
This just reminds me of the fact that this game still isn’t out in the west and it’s a god damn crime.

Back