• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH Novel Translations - Official Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Re: KH2 Novel Translations - Official Thread

I admit to having glanced at these, and without really reading them in order some of the new scenes really confuse me, like Riku confronting xemnas in the old Mansion.

Do some such scenes really add something? I have read a couple other new scenes that fare better under scrutiny.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

In the context of the whole story in the novel, that scene is important because it is part of Axel's plan to get Kairi out of the dungeon. He goes back to the Org and betrays Namine's hiding place to them to get Xemnas out of the castle and also to gain back their trust. It also gives an opportunity to develop Riku a little more, and DiZ too for that matter.

It's up to you whether you think it adds anything to your experience of the series? Since they're not first-tier canon they shouldn't be taken super seriously, but I personally think the extra scenes in the novels are very interesting for several reasons. I like reading the character's thoughts on events, I like what extra scenes add to what I know about the plot, and I like comparing old novel scenes to newer games and analysing how the intended plot seems to have developed or changed over time.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

In the context of the whole story in the novel, that scene is important because it is part of Axel's plan to get Kairi out of the dungeon. He goes back to the Org and betrays Namine's hiding place to them to get Xemnas out of the castle and also to gain back their trust. It also gives an opportunity to develop Riku a little more, and DiZ too for that matter.

It's up to you whether you think it adds anything to your experience of the series? Since they're not first-tier canon they shouldn't be taken super seriously, but I personally think the extra scenes in the novels are very interesting for several reasons. I like reading the character's thoughts on events, I like what extra scenes add to what I know about the plot, and I like comparing old novel scenes to newer games and analysing how the intended plot seems to have developed or changed over time.

I was just wondering cuz I'm kind of a completist when it comes to the story of the series, but dont really wanna go through all the stuff that was already in the games. I'm also gonna do some LP's and maybe fit a few of the new bits in when there are no cutscenes. How I do that is what i'll figure out(if it's just a read-through, or I start drawing up a storyboard or something)

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Whahah youve probably gotten lot of em, but thanks for these!! Glad I stumbled upon it.

Aw thank you! I am so glad that you enjoyed them :D

I was just wondering cuz I'm kind of a completist when it comes to the story of the series, but dont really wanna go through all the stuff that was already in the games. I'm also gonna do some LP's and maybe fit a few of the new bits in when there are no cutscenes. How I do that is what i'll figure out(if it's just a read-through, or I start drawing up a storyboard or something)

Ahh I see. Well, I think they are worth it! But there are four novels for KH2, and I have only done a little of the first and half of the last one, and I'm not sure when I will be able to finish them. I have actually completed all of the Days novels though, if you wanted to do that series!

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

way ahead of you! I had to force myself to go to bed the other night. there were a couple I thought would've been better placed as Flashbacks, but i'd have to look at things as a whole before really making any decisions.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well, feel free to hit me up with a link if you ever do make this, it sounds pretty interesting! And just make sure to credit me if you do use my work ;D

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Omg Sora's thought process through Yen Sid's explanation is incredible xD

And, it was also a place that ‘those three’ had once visited.

KILLING ME SOFTLY ;A;

goldpanner, you rock! This is amazing!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

The word ‘exam’ makes me a bit nervous, but surely there’s no way they’ll test us on math or anything. But, what if they make us study the history of the Keyblade or something? I don’t really like the sound of that.

Ily Sora

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Omg Sora's thought process through Yen Sid's explanation is incredible xD

Aw thank you!

I know, it gets worse in the next chapter... you know how you get those optional memoir flashbacks that include Yen Sid exposition? This novel frames them as Sora legitimately having forgotten what Yen Sid said up until that point... so he forgets entirely what Dream Eaters are... SORA NO

He's a cutie <3

I feel like Sora is channelling a little Nomura there

'who cares about the world mythology blab blab just throw some mystical hints in a fairytale or something LETS GO WHACK BAD GUYS AND FLY SPACESHIPS PCHOOOO'

Awards

Yen Sid closed his big googly eyes

This amused me wayyyy more than it should have. :p

Also it's interesting that Kanemaki elected to write it as if Sora and Riku weren't informed about Master Xehanort. I kind of had the impression that Yen Sid filled them in prior to the opening scene of DDD (especially since neither reacts to Xehanort being a Keyblade Master). Not to mention that, seeing it from Yen Sid's perspective, it would have probably been easiest to explain things starting with who MX is.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

This amused me wayyyy more than it should have. :p

Also it's interesting that Kanemaki elected to write it as if Sora and Riku weren't informed about Master Xehanort. I kind of had the impression that Yen Sid filled them in prior to the opening scene of DDD (especially since neither reacts to Xehanort being a Keyblade Master). Not to mention that, seeing it from Yen Sid's perspective, it would have probably been easiest to explain things starting with who MX is.

Hahha :p

Idk, I think it makes sense, I mean 'MX was a genius keyblader, he wanted to know about the heart so he started a war, he has been causing trouble for ages, he's probably going to start something big soon' is basically explaining who MX is, and that's how he opens....

Oh Sora... You and your cluelessness... XD

It's adorable isn't it! I better hurry up and finish this next chapter, it is pretty adorable too haha

iLeen

Awards

Hahaha. And Sora made such a serious expression in the game. Almost made me believe he actually understood what Yen Sid was saying.

It's ok, Sora. The word 'exam' makes me nervous too.

Thanks so much goldpanner! Congrats on graduating^_^

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

This is hilarious! I'm not sure I agree with all of it but I'm enjoying it!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Whoo, another novel chapter to read. ^__^

Sora said:
Seems like this Master Xehanort is going to do a bunch of bad stuff. Oh, so they called us so we can face it! I think I get it.

Screw all the mythological shit and history chatter, Master Xehanort is the bad guy and he needs his ass kicked. That people is the simple logic of Sora, lol.

Seriously, that chapter is wonderful, the more I read the more I grinned, also because everyone but Sora is so serious and focused but he's just like, "It was so boring.".

Kanemaki really likes giving the characters those quirks. I remember in the first few chapters of the first BBS novel already translated where she always portrays Ventus as this partly naive, but sweet cute muffin-kid and now Sora's the clueless, somewhat dorky but also totally adorable simpleton.

I would have been truly not surprised if one of Sora's thoughts between all of Yen Sid's exposition would go like "I'm hungry, is it lunch-time yet?"

Sora said:
Riku probably understands all this…

Bahaha, you can bet Riku does.
Pfft...Sora's thoughts are really something worth to peek into, rofl.
I'm already excited for his thoughts on the rest of the mementos with Yen Sid's explanations and especially on his encounters with Trollanort.

I really need to print all these novel chapters one day, great work again goldpanner. Love it. <3

Awards

Hahha :p

Idk, I think it makes sense, I mean 'MX was a genius keyblader, he wanted to know about the heart so he started a war, he has been causing trouble for ages, he's probably going to start something big soon' is basically explaining who MX is, and that's how he opens....

Without so much as a "Huh?!" there, Sora's at best stifled reaction doesn't seem very in-character. I mean he reacts to the idea of having to start over, but not to the idea that Xehanort was a Master Keyblade wielder that's going to return. For something so huge that line just seems like a throw away. Sora is the same guy that when he found out Ansem was a "fake," it was earth shattering. Even with Yen Sid as the knowledge dispenser, it's not like we're to expect Sora to just take it in passively--he was asking Yen Sid questions the last time they met.

In truth, the real reason why I think none of them are really reacting there is because those scenes are ridiculously exposition heavy as is, and that would lead into a more in-depth explanation (eg how Xehanort is coming back--but we already got that in re:coded).
So basically the writers chose to just display fragments of the conversation (piecing all of Yen Sid's dialogue together doesn't flow completely smoothly, he tends to jump topics lol) which cuts out all of the formalities/transitions/anything else extraneous or unnecessary for the player to know.

I obviously don't think it really matters whether or not there was actually more to that conversation haha, but I was just thinking about how it would have been cool if she had expanded on it. For instance, instead of opening with the re:coded secret ending, have Yen Sid relay that information to Sora and Riku, and note how Sora reacts. idk thought it'd be cool lol

Anywho! I'd say I'm most interested in how Kanemaki writes all the tomfoolery in TWTNW, particularly how Sora reacts to YMX's mindscrew.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Hahaha. And Sora made such a serious expression in the game. Almost made me believe he actually understood what Yen Sid was saying.

It's ok, Sora. The word 'exam' makes me nervous too.

Thanks so much goldpanner! Congrats on graduating^_^

I KNOW RIGHT he did such a good job!

Aw thank you!!

This is hilarious! I'm not sure I agree with all of it but I'm enjoying it!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! What do you mean by 'agree', do you mean you don't like what is in the novel, or you think I made a mistake somewhere...?

Kanemaki really likes giving the characters those quirks. I remember in the first few chapters of the first BBS novel already translated where she always portrays Ventus as this partly naive, but sweet cute muffin-kid and now Sora's the clueless, somewhat dorky but also totally adorable simpleton.

Yeah I agree :D I think that's part of the charm of the novels, getting to see a character's POV for scenes is like seeing the same scene with a new slant to it, sometimes.

I'm already excited for his thoughts on the rest of the mementos with Yen Sid's explanations and especially on his encounters with Trollanort.

I really need to print all these novel chapters one day, great work again goldpanner. Love it. <3

Oh man, you're right... translating Yen Sid is hard because of his complicated grandiose old man language, but I can look forward to Sora's thoughts haha

Thank you for this lovely comment!! <3

Without so much as a "Huh?!" there, Sora's at best stifled reaction doesn't seem very in-character. I mean he reacts to the idea of having to start over, but not to the idea that Xehanort was a Master Keyblade wielder that's going to return. For something so huge that line just seems like a throw away. Sora is the same guy that when he found out Ansem was a "fake," it was earth shattering. Even with Yen Sid as the knowledge dispenser, it's not like we're to expect Sora to just take it in passively--he was asking Yen Sid questions the last time they met.

I think he would have reacted more if Yen Sid hadn't handwaved the 'faced him in many forms' and actually said THIS GUY IS XEMNAS + ANSEM OK

But yeah, they obviously cut that out because of exposition, like you said.

Anywho! I'd say I'm most interested in how Kanemaki writes all the tomfoolery in TWTNW, particularly how Sora reacts to YMX's mindscrew.

Luckily for you, that is definitely in this novel! I'm really looking forward to that part the most, I think ;A;/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back