• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH III will use Luminous Engine

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'd like to note to whoever mentioned Crystal Tools. That engine is pretty much a failure and probably won't be used again. Too much time was spent in developing it and it's main purpose (being used for FNC and future FF games) was never accomplished. whatever Crystal Tools was meant to do is probably done by Luminous.

Arkrend

I really hope they get a good balance between the cartoon graphics and realistic CGI graphics

FMV. They're called FMVs. CGI means computer generated image. Every single cutscene in Kingdom Hearts is CGI because they're all computer generated.

The cell shaded style they use now is fine by me.

Sora/Ven/Roxas are the only ones who seem weird looking in the opening/closing scenes. Not sure why. Aqua and Terra looked fine in the opening scene of Brith By Sleep, but Ven looked like his face was modeled in a completely different style than his in game model.

This

Spoiler Spoiler Show

looks fine to me.

This

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Has entirely different facial proportions than the actual in game Ven. The ear is too low down, and too big. Overall, the head is just too squished compared to what Ven should look like.

As long as they look normal, but higher poly, than I'm fine.

I'm not sure why changing engines would increase dev time. Luminous being the new engine for Square game seems likely since they don't have many alternatives. Their old engine is a pathetic mess. Though things being a mess isn't exactly unheard for Square. They don't exactly seem to be experts at basic organization.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
I'd like to note to whoever mentioned Crystal Tools. That engine is pretty much a failure and probably won't be used again. Too much time was spent in developing it and it's main purpose (being used for FNC and future FF games) was never accomplished. whatever Crystal Tools was meant to do is probably done by Luminous.

It's not really a failure per se, as Square Enix actually did use the engine for a few different titles. It just took them ages to actually get it to function how they wanted.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will also use this engine, though it's been highly modified as is the version that Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 runs on.

axel95

Awards
I'm not sure why changing engines would increase dev time. Luminous being the new engine for Square game seems likely since they don't have many alternatives. Their old engine is a pathetic mess. Though things being a mess isn't exactly unheard for Square. They don't exactly seem to be experts at basic organization.
If its a new engine, it would take the some time for the dev team to get used to, and the game probably wouldn't be as good. If they use an engine that they have experience with, they will be able to get more out of it. So using an older engine means quicker dev time and a better game.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
If its a new engine, it would take the some time for the dev team to get used to, and the game probably wouldn't be as good. If they use an engine that they have experience with, they will be able to get more out of it. So using an older engine means quicker dev time and a better game.

It's just that Crystal Tools is a cumbersome mess to deal with, as per some of the developer comments in retrospect. If they were to use it for new titles, it wouldn't necessarily translate to quicker or more efficient development time. Production Department 1 in Squaresoft/Square Enix used to build engines for each game from scratch (this was around the Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX) era. As time went on and we moved towards the HD console generation, it became less feasible to do this (and extremely expensive).

They ran into a tough spot in the mid to late 00s developing a HD engine, and without having a workable HD engine to roll out these mega projects they had announced in 2006-7ish, it caused some of the huge delays we're still dealing with today. Luminous is an effort that extends beyond PD1 and involves the expertise of Eidos and all of Square Enix's acquisitions and talent worldwide, so that these kind of multi-year delays are a thing of the past.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
By the by, I'd wait for some sort of secondary confirmation on this.

I'm not sure this is wholly legit.

Merceron could have been speaking off the cuff in regards to Japanese titles as well.

D.D.D

Stuffed in a sack and being thrown through a magic
Sora/Ven/Roxas are the only ones who seem weird looking in the opening/closing scenes. Not sure why. Aqua and Terra looked fine in the opening scene of Brith By Sleep, but Ven looked like his face was modeled in a completely different style than his in game model.
Well, I guess we're the opposite, then. I thought Aqua and Terra looked funky, body proportion-wise, and that Ven/Sora/Roxas look better in the FMV's.
Like, take this pic of Aqua:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Like, her one hand looks like it could cover her entire chest, practically, and it seems like her eyes might be too big for her face. I can't really comment on her ears, since they're hidden by her hair.
Terra in the background looked funky when he walked, with his arms really stiff looking and really far apart from his body. It seemed too unnatural of a walk.

Now, take this pic of Roxas from DDD's trailer:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

His body looks perfectly proportionate to me. Well, besides the fact that he has a KH character's proportions.
IDK, it just seems that the smaller, more cartoony characters fit better than the more adult looking ones. Except for MX, he always looks cool in the FMV's.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
Like, her one hand looks like it could cover her entire chest, practically, and it seems like her eyes might be too big for her face. I can't really comment on her ears, since they're hidden by her hair.
Terra in the background looked funky when he walked, with his arms really stiff looking and really far apart from his body. It seemed too unnatural of a walk.

Well, I'd assume there would be a lot more time put into the models if they were going to be used for the game instead of just a short opening movie

State

Awards
The only thing I'm expecting from KH on future consoles is a small graphical upgrade from KH2 and HD. That's all.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
The only thing I'm expecting from KH on future consoles is a small graphical upgrade from KH2 and HD. That's all.

It'll be like New Super Mario Bros. Wii compared to New Super Mario Bros. U.
Same graphics style, just a lot more pretty and high def.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

Yeah, even if KH did use the Luminous Engine, KH itself doesn't have breakthrough graphics like Final Fantasy and it doesn't need it because of its cartoon style which I like, so I think KH3 will look fine regardless of which engine it ends up on. However, do you think SE would be able to make KH look somewhat like its CGI sequences during gameplay with the Luminous engine?

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
KH itself doesn't have breakthrough graphics like Final Fantasy

Honestly I don't know why people always say this, while the FMV parts (thanks Arkrend) were amazing and beautiful looking, the gameplay's graphics were meh. Some of the textures were blury and the hair just threw me off

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Y'all could've asked me to translate, French is my langue ya know.
Really? That's wonderful, I'll make sure to remember that.
By the by, I'd wait for some sort of secondary confirmation on this.

I'm not sure this is wholly legit.

Merceron could have been speaking off the cuff in regards to Japanese titles as well.
Yeah, that's why I was hesitant.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Honestly I don't know why people always say this, while the FMV parts (thanks Arkrend) were amazing and beautiful looking, the gameplay's graphics were meh. Some of the textures were blury and the hair just threw me off

The engine FFXIII and FFXIII-2 have been on could easily work well with KH, I don't think SE needs to prepare their next engine (Luminous Engine) to work with KH3 as I think the one they are currently working on with FFVXIII would work fine with KH. The gameplay graphics and fish faces on past games have been meh, which is why I think this new one would work fine.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
The engine FFXIII and FFXIII-2 have been on could easily work well with KH, I don't think SE needs to prepare their next engine (Luminous Engine) to work with KH3 as I think the one they are currently working on with FFVXIII would work fine with KH. The gameplay graphics and fish faces on past games have been meh, which is why I think this new one would work fine.

I meant the FF having breakthrough graphics part, while it is a huge step above KH I don't think FF's graphics are all that amazing

Arkrend

Just going to point out, that game development doesn't really work this way.

If the developers are "gaining experience" then that probably means they altering the engine's source code to accommodate unique features for the game they're working on. Only the actual core programming team needs to know how to do that. Sure the other programmers need to know keywords the engine uses, and what language the engine uses but there isn't much more to learn aside from that.

When developers say they'll save time by using the same engine, what they mean is they won't have to create an entirely new engine from scratch.

Current gen game engines can take maybe two years to make from scratch.

I know for a fact, that a certain development team swapped to a new, prebuilt, engine for a new project, and it only took them sixteen months to basically have the entire game finished.

It's not learning an engine that takes time. It's making one.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
Well, I guess we're the opposite, then. I thought Aqua and Terra looked funky, body proportion-wise, and that Ven/Sora/Roxas look better in the FMV's.
Like, take this pic of Aqua:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Now, take this pic of Roxas from DDD's trailer:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

His body looks perfectly proportionate to me. Well, besides the fact that he has a KH character's proportions.
IDK, it just seems that the smaller, more cartoony characters fit better than the more adult looking ones. Except for MX, he always looks cool in the FMV's.

I disagree with both of you. But when I was working on modeling for my KH3D animation (sorry, I almost feel like I'm promoting my future video, but I'm legitimately using this to show my experience in relation to this), Aqua's eyes and her hands are the right size as they should be in the CGI opening :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back