• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH 10th Anniversary Fan Selection Official Site Opens!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lvng

^^It says that all of the 45 tracks (except the extra bonus track, which makes 46 songs) are from the fan polls.

^I think the samples on the website might not be remastered yet. If they made the mistake of putting "Beyond the Door" in place of "Always on My Mind" even though the former song did not make it onto the final songlist, they were probably just linking the samples that were already there from the voting webpage. Also, if she felt the need to remaster all of the tracks, there is a possibility of her bringing out quieter elements, or reducing other ones. It may give the soundtrack a more unified feel, or just freshen up the experience for those who are very familiar with the OSTs.

They've also notated on the master tracklist for all of the OSTs the order of the top songs from each game (that they've revealed so far). I wonder if they made a mistake in noting the "Dearly Beloved -Reprise-" as the top voted song from KH1, since it didn't actually make it.

Also, thanks so much goldpanner! I love the insight.

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Thanks, goldplanner!

Yoko Shimomura said:
Pardon me for taking a moment to speak of personal things, but -

You're pardoned. Speak of personal things pleeease~ 8}

They've also notated on the master tracklist for all of the OSTs the order of the top songs from each game (that they've revealed so far). I wonder if they made a mistake in noting the "Dearly Beloved -Reprise-" as the top voted song from KH1, since it didn't actually make it.

Yeah, at this point I'm throwing my hands up and awaiting the deets. It could be the original Dearly Beloved was 4th - 10th place on its top 10 and was selected instead, but I'm not too concerned with deciphering why from speculation.

So far this collection features nearly all of my favorites from the first couple of titles. Excited for the rest to be revealed. #FateoftheUnknown

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Perhaps the fans did vote on what will be on the CD. Just because they showed the top 10 didn't necessarily mean that those would be the only 10 fan choices...we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Ah, I see, that does make more sense. Since very many people voted I could easily imagine a wide range of songs be voted for and they probably took the 40 or so songs that got the most votes despite only showing the top 10 on the vote-site.

Limiting each fan to vote for ten songs was probably also done to prevent people from voting for the entire soundtrack, lol.

Thanks, goldplanner!

goldplanner!
goldplanner!

<__<
...ooops, you did it again. ;P

Yeah, at this point I'm throwing my hands up and awaiting the deets. It could be the original Dearly Beloved was 4th - 10th place on its top 10 and was selected instead, but I'm not too concerned with deciphering why from speculation.

So far this collection features nearly all of my favorites from the first couple of titles. Excited for the rest to be revealed. #FateoftheUnknown

As far as I remember Fate of the Unknown was among the top 10 stated on the vote-site, so it's almost sure to be in it.

As much as I like Black Powder I'm still a bit sad that it wasn't used in the actual BBS game.
But hey, maybe a remastered version of it will be used as an intro to the very final battle in Kingdom Hearts 3? *dreams*

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Thanks guys! I really hope they post more, they are so interesting! Shimomura is one of my favourite people who work on these games, she's so cute and funny.

<__<
...ooops, you did it again. ;P

i wonder why this happens so often? is goldplanning a thing??? haha

(I really really hope The Other Promise gets on omg)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Thanks guys! I really hope they post more, they are so interesting! Shimomura is one of my favourite people who work on these games, she's so cute and funny.

i wonder why this happens so often? is goldplanning a thing??? haha

(I really really hope The Other Promise gets on omg)

If she does a comment on each song we'll surely get more interesting stuff to read.
Can only agree on Shimomura, she's as awesome as a person as she's as a composer.
It's also funny that by now she also forms a "trio" with the other two guys in charge for the music, lol, KH is really all about trios.

"Planning for Gold" maybe like in the Olympics, although it is strange from where people always get that additional "l".

Wasn't The other Promise also in the top 10 list? Just like Ven's theme and Roxas' regular one?
These three, alongside Riku's theme, Destiny's Union and Aqua's are among my favorites in the category of melancholic and sad songs.

Arr, damn, there are so many marvelous songs in the KH-soundtracks it is damn hard to pick just five or six favorites.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
"Planning for Gold" maybe like in the Olympics, although it is strange from where people always get that additional "l".
It's strange where people always get that additional "of" when saying "Kingdom of Hearts"

Lvng

Wasn't The other Promise also in the top 10 list? Just like Ven's theme and Roxas' regular one?
These three, alongside Riku's theme, Destiny's Union and Aqua's are among my favorites in the category of melancholic and sad songs.

Yeah, TOP, Ven and Roxas were all up there. I don't see them leaving it either. Although I could deal with losing Roxas and TOP, since the Piano Collections and Symphonic Fantasies gave us the definitive versions of those songs.

Also they fixed the "Dearly Beloved -Reprise-" thing.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Aw, so sorry, goldPANner! Sans extra 'l'. I never saw a correction before now. These tired eyes. Ok, we're golden now... :}

I'd always pictured her jotting down her translations from Japanese to English in a gold planner, maybe with a couple doodles in the margins - Namine style. Because why not? xD

As much as I like Black Powder I'm still a bit sad that it wasn't used in the actual BBS game.
But hey, maybe a remastered version of it will be used as an intro to the very final battle in Kingdom Hearts 3? *dreams*

I'm confused. I know it's also referred to as "A Battle of Great Valor", but isn't that what played during Terra's battles with Braig and Xehanort?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Perhaps Seph had confused it for Fate of the Unknown?

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Ahhh, yes. I initially expected that to play during those final fights.

Speaking of final fights, "Darkness of the Unknown" needs to make an appearance as well for this to be a definitive collection for me. *full confidence*

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm not really confusing anything. "Fate of the Unknown" as used in the KH2 FM+ Secret Ending was never used in BBS.

"A Battle of Great Valor" and "Black Powder" mean the same song, the first one was just the fan-translation from Japanese while the second is the "official" English name.

Yes, that song played during Terra's battle with Braig but also during the re-enactment of the scenes of the KH2 FM secret ending during the actual game BBS. Black Powder was used instead of Fate of the Unknown.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
So basically, you mean to say "As much as I like Black Powder I'm still a bit sad that Fate of the Unknown wasn't used in the actual BBS game."

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
The structure of the sentence / paragraphs threw me off. It's all ironed out now. You're good, Sephiroth0812. :]

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
So basically, you mean to say "As much as I like Black Powder I'm still a bit sad that Fate of the Unknown wasn't used in the actual BBS game."

Exactly.

myself said:
As far as I remember Fate of the Unknown was among the top 10 stated on the vote-site, so it's almost sure to be in it.

The bolded "it" was referring to Fate of the Unknown, since it was the topic of the conversation, lol.
I guess I was just lazy to write out the name of the song again and then we got some confusion. <__<

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ok, we're golden now... :}

PUNS <3 MY FAVOURITE THING all is forgiven now

I'd always pictured her jotting down her translations from Japanese to English in a gold planner, maybe with a couple doodles in the margins - Namine style. Because why not? xD

Ohhhh!! I never thought of it that way! Maybe that is what everyone assumes... omg that is actually cute, I want that in my sig haha

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
If Another Side made it, Fate of the Unknown definitely will. I am still bummed out that they didn't have it in BBS during the cliffside battle and had that really generic and bland song "Black Powder" instead.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I won't actually say that "Black Powder" is a bad battle theme, nope, it's actually pretty engaging and fitting for a battle theme.

Nonetheless it is completely clear that in terms of epicness and class "Fate of the Unknown" beats it easily.

Lvng

Kingdom Hearts2 and FM+ tracks are up. A lot of repeats from the Piano Collections and other arranged albums (all of those 13th tracks? Really?), but nothing really unexpected...

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This should be all the KH2 blurbs!
(originally posted here, please credit that or here)

Dearly Beloved: "We're finally here again. We made it back." Those were the feelings put into creating this song. Because the intro was long, production did me an impossibly huge favour and changed the title screen to fit it. (I marched to the programmers working on their day off!) There absolutely had to be this much build up until the melody could run its course, no matter what. That's what the song told me. It wasn't up to me. I am no more than a servant to the living breathing song. Haha.

Passion -KINGDOM Orchestra Instrumental Version-: From a powerful strike of an intro, this song flows into an address-like gentle melody, lapsing afterwards into a section like memories of strong determination awakening, then turns to a grand, powerful and dramatic close. This bold arrangement of hidden passion, like a flower opening with strength to face something, is certainly overwhelming.

Passion ~opening version~: My first impression on hearing this song was, "this song is quite difficult to grasp..." There's a reverse-playback phrase with profound hidden meaning running in the opposite direction to the catch. For some reason it really stays with you... it's an incredible song. Ms Utada is definitely a genius. (No, I'm sure you all know that already without the likes of me having to say it) I have a friend who is really great at karaoke, and it's a long story, but they told me "it's a super hard song to sing~!" Um, please don't ask something as tactless as whether I can sing it, okay~!

Lazy Afternoons: I said this in interviews many times back then, but, this song first appeared in Chain of Memories, and it gave me a lot of trouble. I redid the song over and over because it "didn't feel enough like twilight". So, I actually went out on the veranda of my house during twilight, feeling down and thinking "maybe I'm just no good...", zoning right out gazing at the clouds dyed with red. This song was born from that. The twilight feel does come through, doesn't it?

Missing You: In my own mind, I made this song as part of a set with the song "Treasured Memories" from the first title, which unfortunately didn't make it onto this best-of list. As in, "important treasure" (past) → "I don't want to lose my important, important..." (present). Ah, I'm always talking about musical stuff. Don't read too much into it, please, haha.

The 13th Struggle: This song was unexpectedly popular amongst our team, as well as our players. I personally thought intense quavers and bass half tone movements would reflect the concept of Organisation XIII, but halfway through work, it came to light that I'd missed Mr Tetsu's image of Organisation XIII, which was the piano phrase in "Another Side"! So, it became a song that combined both images of Organisation XIII.

Roxas: This song is truly blessed with so much love. When Mr Tetsu listened to my demo of the song, played on the piano like big droplets, he really liked it. I kept it basically the same, just fleshed it out a little to complete it. It would probably make the top three for shortest amount of time I spent actually working on a song in my whole life. It really was a gift from the gods of music.

Sora: With this song, the truth is, I'd decided to do something like this, but I wrote it before it was written as "Sora's theme," to use during the credits. Haha, I remember explaining, "this beginning, this section is Sora's theme, see!" while I was having people listen to the demo credits for me. The reason it happened like that was because the music for the credits had to be completed before recording. I thought, "If they say this is no good as Sora's theme then I'll have to redo the credits too!" but both Sora's theme and the credits were given the OK, happily~

Organization XIII: This is the first part of "Another Side". Mr Tetsu loved it, saying, "when I think of Organisation XIII, I think of this phrase." The phrase is used many times in many different songs. It's difficult to make a song that is simple but leaves a powerful impression, so I am grateful it exists. This song works hard to be useful and dutiful to its mother, maybe to rival Dearly Beloved, haha.

The 13th Reflection: This is an Organisation XIII battle theme added to KINGDOM HEARTS II Final Mix+. I wanted to make something that expressed a unique clean feel, a floating feel, something faster, like cracking into a sprint, and this is how the song turned out. I thought it would be rare, compared to the boss theme of the first KH title which had many patterns swelling to a crash in the second half, to do something with a floating out feel.

The Other Promise: Ever since the title released, this song has had a huge impact. It was only in KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX+, so it by no means seemed like it would become something this major, but... (thinking that and looking back, the songs related to KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX+ did very well, haha). It was used in many promo videos, and even a drammatica (orchestral) version was made, so there must be many people who know of it. This song was born from Mr Tetsu saying to me, "I want Roxas to be fought to a flashier piano version of his theme." I wanted to express questioning the utmost limits of our beings, and the unbearable sadness of a destiny you can't fight against.

Riku: Actually, Riku's theme has a pretty subdued impression, haha. It doesn't seem to be talked about much, see (sweatmark!), but I'm very happy that there are people who like it more than I realised. This is from the image of Riku that comes unhesitatingly to mind. That is, "while quiet, having a hidden passion."

Darkness of the Unknown: When we recorded this for the soundtrack, this track was originally three parts that made one song. However, it was split into three songs during production. It would have been troublesome, so they let me record the pattern in one song, identical to the soundtrack. After that, this song also ended up being used many times in other patterns. Then during recording, it ended up being put on a single loop. To those who liked it, I'm sorry...

Rage Awakened: During development, I didn't know the true form of who's song this was. I should say, actually, that it's always like that for secret bosses. It's like, "a mystery man is supposed to be a mystery man! a mystery!" haha. I make the songs relying on very skimpy information like "Someone important that connects to the next title," and "they attack like this~ they move like this~". When I begin composing for the next title, I finally get to give a huge sigh in relief. "Ahh, it does fit, I'm so glad." It runs me ragged, haha.

Fate of the Unknown: Now we have a song that became Terra and Aqua's themes, and the starting point for the music of Birth by Sleep in general. After watching the movie over and over to engrave the image into my head, I wrote a roughly organised version of the song in one sitting, and I surprised even myself at how closely it matched. Personally, I love the part around just before Kingdom Hearts appears in the sky, when it changes key and returns to the main melody.

Awards
The 13th Struggle: This song was unexpectedly popular amongst our team, as well as our players. I personally thought intense quavers and bass half tone movements would reflect the concept of Organisation XIII, but halfway through work, it came to light that I'd missed Mr Tetsu's image of Organisation XIII, which was the piano phrase in "Another Side"! So, it became a song that combined both images of Organisation XIII.

I actually like the non-Another Side parts more. I guess Another Side is way more iconic and fitting for the Organization but there's something about this track that really stands out to me, and I associate it with the Organization more than any other.
It is a bizarre song, and the first in the KH series to really grab my attention because of how different it sounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back