• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH 1.5 ReMIX Trailer Released!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decrith

Re: KH 1.5 ReMix Trailer Released!

Exactly make point especially since all it took was tweaking a few values for the PCSX2/PS2 widescreen hack. I mean they could have taken the time to do that. The thing to note is that the Days cutscenes might be regarded as true 16x9 if it isn't rendered in real time. Baffling

Jeez, just be glad that it has FINAL MIX in it. You're comparing it to something illegal, especially when you haven't completely grasp how complex the PS3 is. There is a reason why developers have a hard time making PS3 games because of how complex it is, so they just decide to use the Xbox360 and then port it to the PS3.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

They "could" also have opted for a HD Remake instead of a remaster or they "could" also have opted for a full remake of Days. Fact is there is always something that still could be more polished, but continuing ranting about some trivialities like that the graphics aren't "top-end" and totally outstanding instead of improved (which they ARE compared to the original PS2 version) is in the end just this: nitpicking.
One who wants to find a hair in the soup will always find one.

So.. complaining about the cropping of image info is nipticking and the cutscenes are "trivialities".. ok.

Nipticking would be asking for redubbing, new cutscenes, 1080p support etc etc. Asking for what was there in the first place is not.

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards

This is gonna be good. I really do love the extra days part. More please XD

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Most people can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV smaller than 42″. 1080p would of course feel a lot more future proof, but hey, as long as it's not 1080i!

But honestly, I don't get why some of you guys are saying that an emulator can do better. The original game cannot be converted to HD with hacks. Nor can it be converted to true widescreen without stretching or cropping the image. You need the source code to make such changes. Sure, you can upscale the image all you want, but it will still be a standard definition image regardless of what resolution you make it.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

i always find hair in my food... and it's always still attached to my head :<

and yeah, i hate when people use that argument comparing it to a hack.

Uh, shouldn't that problem be solveable by an hairstylist? Lol.

That's why I for the heck cannot understand where the complaint even comes from. Like Square would use some illegal hacks for comparison in their improvements.

Jeez, just be glad that it has FINAL MIX in it. You're comparing it to something illegal, especially when you haven't completely grasp how complex the PS3 is. There is a reason why developers have a hard time making PS3 games because of how complex it is, so they just decide to use the Xbox360 and then port it to the PS3.

No, you see, having Final Mix content in it and even trophy support, improved graphics and gameplay is to be taken for granted. Square should have given us that all already yesterday, garnished with a Kingdom Hearts III trailer in the FF Versus XIII engine in full wide screen with dolby surround, full 3D support and probably even Holo-technology of the USS Enterprise with comments made by Nomura and Captain Picard himself.
=> note, this is all sarcasm!

Now for serious, the new stuff is appreciated (at least by Lnds500 it seems), but it wouldn't be Square Enix or Nomura if there isn't a bone to find that you can bitch upon.

So.. complaining about the cropping of image info is nipticking and the cutscenes are "trivialities".. ok.

Nipticking would be asking for redubbing, new cutscenes, 1080p support etc etc. Asking for what was there in the first place is not.

Yes, complaing about "image cropping" is nitpicking, and no, cutscenes are not "trivialities", constant complaining about them not being in latest technology and comparing them to some hacks made on PC instead of the original PS2 version are.

I look at the comparison Master Spockanort posted with the example of Ansem SoD, and the new image from the HD version looks way better quality-wise than the original PS2 version, period. That's what counts and that is what a HD collection is about, improving the original quality which it DOES.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

Most people can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV smaller than 42″. 1080p would of course feel a lot more future proof, but hey, as long as it's not 1080i!

But honestly, I don't get why some of you guys are saying that an emulator can do better. The original game cannot be converted to HD with hacks. Nor can it be converted to true widescreen without stretching or cropping the image. You need the source code to make such changes. Sure, you can upscale the image all you want, but it will still be a standard definition image regardless of what resolution you make it.

Apparently you can. Someone posted a video earlier.

But we don't have to compare to the emulator. We have plenty of other collection which were all remastered in 16:9. Just sayin'.

Btw, I understand that some people don't care for the cropping, and I apologize if you think the rest of us are "whining" but please don't act like we are spoilt brats for requesting the obvious.

Yes, complaing about "image cropping" is nitpicking, and no, cutscenes are not "trivialities", constant complaining about them not being in latest technology and comparing them to some hacks made on PC instead of the original PS2 version are.

Don't be so short-sighted. You are not alone in this world. The fact that you don't care for the cropping doesn't make it trivial. And I didn't compare these to any hack.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

No, you can't. Why? Because the game is rendered at a specific resolution. To make it bigger, you must stretch it. The information needed to present the game at a higher resolution is not included on the disc.

Most graphics are created at a much higher resolution than what is needed, then compressed when rendered for the actual game disc. So often times, developers only have to transfer the data from their work files at a higher resolution. But of course, that's not always the case. But at least the developer has access to tools where the graphics can be tweaked with. Hackers are restricted to filters.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards

I can't wait for this remake :D My CoM disc is pretty messed up and pauses at some parts. And I just can't wait to play KH1 in HD with revamped controls. Already liking the addition of pressing reaction commands with triangle (assuming, of course). It was annoying to have to scroll down to the fourth command to do them (especially in the Winnie the Pooh world).

I was hesitant at first about only Days being cutscenes, but now I'm liking the idea.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'm not happy with the cropping, but the game looks fantastic so I could honestly care little about it. It's not the most important thing about this remaster.

TepidShark

Awards

What matters most to me right now is if we in the West get to play the collection or not. So naturally, Image Cropping is not high on list of concerns at the moment.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards

No, you can't. Why? Because the game is rendered at a specific resolution. To make it bigger, you must stretch it. The information needed to present the game at a higher resolution is not included on the disc.

I guess you didn\t even bother to look before posting... -.-'

this is in widescreen and only some UI elements were stretched

And don't make up excuses to why Square can't get TRUE widescreen

[video=youtube;w8luCJMYrmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8luCJMYrmg[/video]

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards

What matters most to me right now is if we in the West get to play the collection or not. So naturally, Image Cropping is not high on list of concerns at the moment.

Same here. I am not really concerned with the image cropping. In fact, I did not even think about it while watching the trailer.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

But we don't have to compare to the emulator. We have plenty of other collection which were all remastered in 16:9. Just sayin'.

Btw, I understand that some people don't care for the cropping, and I apologize if you think the rest of us are "whining" but please don't act like we are spoilt brats for requesting the obvious.

Don't be so short-sighted. You are not alone in this world. The fact that you don't care for the cropping doesn't make it trivial. And I didn't compare these to any hack.

But doing that is like comparing apples and pears. Especially if those collections are from other companies. They won't have the same utilities and programmers Square has. Furthermore it also depends on what engine the game in question runs and on the source code.

It really comes over like "whining" of some sorts because it is really only one issue, and a minor one on top compared to all the other improvement this package gets. I really don't think that the playabilty of the game will get any worse because of some changes in image size and the cutscenes certainly won't look worse than on the PS2.
So enlighten me please why this should be so obvious. It's better than before in terms of quality so what is requesting even more other than being unpleasable then?

Of course, I give you that, but I really don't see what is so gravely wrong with the cropping/non-wide-screen super-duper end-graphics that makes it more than just the triviality it comes over at. The comparison pics show that it is significantly better than the original PS2-version, so what's the deal? I really don't get it.
Long things short: Is the ReMix a significant improvement over the original PS2-version yes or not considering all points involved? Does this technicality make the game suddenly unplayable or severely hampers the playability, like that Ansem suddenly has a football-head like the main character from "Hey Arnold"?
If the first answer is "yes" and the second "no" I really do not grasp where the friggin problem is.

EDIT:

Yep, I agree with Master Spockanort, Tepidshark and Neko, especially on the release perspective in US/EU and AUS.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards

You can definately tell by the way XH's eyes move that he definately inherited alot from MX. His face looks more like MX's now in HD than in the original version of KH1/FM.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Looks stretched to me. Even if a talented hacker somehow managed to make the game show more information on the sides without stretching the image, which would be incredibly hard to do without messing the game up, this wouldn't apply to the cutscenes with fixed camera angles and you still could not make the actual resolution of the game any higher (you can only up the size of the standard definition solution the game is rendered in).

You can definately tell by the way XH's eyes move that he definately inherited alot from MX. His face looks more like MX's now in HD than in the original version of KH1/FM.

It's called retcon

;)

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

I wasn't expecting much considering you can only remaster so much but I was actually pleasantly surprised with the trailer. Everything looks smooth, crisp, and non pixelated.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

You know what I'm more concerned about over cropping? The game's party AI. I am really hoping they decided to tweak it so Donald heals me before I decide to use a cure spell, and Goofy doesn't use a potion on himself when I'm the one down to 1 HP.

billyzanesucks

There should be some way to command Donald and Goofy's attacks like in Re:coded, maybe with shortcut menus. Cure should also heal everyone like in 3D. Going through an extra menu for Cure caused much frustration.

Decrith

There should be some way to command Donald and Goofy's attacks like in Re:coded, maybe with shortcut menus. Cure should also heal everyone like in 3D. Going through an extra menu for Cure caused much frustration.

I do remember KH2 having shortcut menus, I'm pretty sure they can add that, but I'm not so sure, it might not feel the same KH we played back then, but I'm all for it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Guys, ENOUGH on the stupid cropping and STOP comparing this to an illegal emulator.
The game is cropped, nothing anyone can do about that.
Comparing it to an illegal piece of software is not a good argument, and we at KHInsider do not endorse it.
So ENOUGH of that discussion. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back