• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH χ[chi] Development Team Report #2 - Leading to KINGDOM HEARTS 3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: KH ?[chi] Development Team Report #2 - Leading to KINGDOM HEARTS 3

i meant i skipped COM and jumped straight into KH2 and got confused for it.

Ohhh! It's not like that at all. You can skip chi if you don't want to play it. It ties in to the series, but it's certainly not a necessary thing. If you are willing to ignore that the game is in Japanese for now, you can make a Yahoo! JP account and join in. There are a bunch of people in the chi section willing to help if you need it, and it's easy to jump into.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

So much for Chi not being canon, lol, Nomura pls.

Anything relevant to the overal story (which I still hope won't be that much) I will really have to follow only with supplementary material as I really do not have the time to immerse myself into Chi at all. <__<

Zahnpaste

So much for Chi not being canon, lol, Nomura pls.<__<

I still think that Chi is overall not canon. There was never a time in the kh-universe where people travelled around seperated worlds, met an adult hercules or fought the heartless during the keyblade-war. It's a fairytale in a book after all (I could imagine that the keyblade war was much more brutal than what is shown here). But it doesn't mean that this fairytale doesn't contain important hints and information that are important for the canon-story of kingdom hearts. Since this is a fairytale based of a past event, there are probably some events in kh-chi that are based on true (or loosely true) events.

I think that Kairi's Grandma reads this book for young Kairi, so at least this little bit could be canon.

An other idea is that maybe the author of this fairytale-book wrote on some pages important messages.

What I want to say: I don't think that Nomura lied with statemant :)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I still think that Chi is overall not canon. There was never a time in the kh-universe where people travelled around seperated worlds, met an adult hercules or fought the heartless during the keyblade-war. It's a fairytale in a book after all (I could imagine that the keyblade war was much more brutal than what is shown here). But it doesn't mean that this fairytale doesn't contain important hints and information that are important for the canon-story of kingdom hearts. Since this is a fairytale based of a past event, there are probably some events in kh-chi that are based on true (or loosely true) events.

I think that Kairi's Grandma reads this book for young Kairi, so at least this little bit could be canon.

An other idea is that maybe the author of this fairytale-book wrote on some pages important messages.

What I want to say: I don't think that Nomura lied with statemant :)

Exactly, not to mention that Heartless were not widely known to the worlds before KH 1, even in BBS only a few appear and those are summoned directly by Master Xehanort himself.
The worlds were one giant world and not several and if Disney characters aren't immortal none of them should be around at all thousands of years before BBS.

As long as it remains only hints and some bit of information I'm fine with that as this can be read up in order to be kept up to date on the story.

I'm also not implying exactly that Nomura lied but that he again makes stuff unneccessarily complicated.
Last time I checked he wanted to bring the story together for the finale (which is also one of the reasons for the HD Remasters) and not expand it even further with another platform jump that is, again, japanese only.

Btw, your username really makes me laugh...

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

"To all the fans who have followed this series - please don't miss out on this game which is connected to the main story :)"
"To all EU/NA/AU fans: FUCK OFF!"

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

"To all the fans who have followed this series - please don't miss out on this game which is connected to the main story :)"
"To all EU/NA/AU fans: diddly OFF!"
The game is in the process of localization.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards

The game is in the process of localization.

Hmm... is it "is", or "could be"? Unless I missed something, the most recent piece of news regarding localisation (http://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom...ngdom-hearts-x-chi-localization-progress.html) still didn't confirm whether or not localisation is going to take place.

Although yeah, I truly, really want to believe that it's true. After all, the cached URL did display a "localization" directory, and one of those pages has got some Japanese sentences of several conditions assigned under the "ja_JP" variable and what looks like a placeholder for their English translations under "en_US"...

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

The important thing is just that they've made the motions to prepare for it. Whether something actually becomes of it is another story, but it's better than going "durr hurr fuck the western regions trolol."

ShinobiMuramasa

Hmm... is it "is", or "could be"? Unless I missed something, the most recent piece of news regarding localisation (http://forums.khinsider.com/kingdom...ngdom-hearts-x-chi-localization-progress.html) still didn't confirm whether or not localisation is going to take place.

Although yeah, I truly, really want to believe that it's true. After all, the cached URL did display a "localization" directory, and one of those pages has got some Japanese sentences of several conditions assigned under the "ja_JP" variable and what looks like a placeholder for their English translations under "en_US"...

It "is" in the process of localization. We have to keep in mind that to Square Enix, as Tabata has directly said, localization does not necessarily mean release.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It "is" in the process of localization. We have to keep in mind that to Square Enix, as Tabata has directly said, localization does not necessarily mean release.

And he certainly does know about that...Poor man. All of that work done on Type-0 and they didn't even release it. (Even though PSP games still come out every week in NA/EU lol)

So much for Chi not being canon, lol, Nomura pls.

Lol didn't you see the last update where Nomura said the next story arc in chi would tie into the canon of the series? We've known this for about a month xD

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards

You don't have to go outside of Kingdom Hearts to get silly localization stories. Just look at coded. coded may not be the most critical entry in the story (yet, who knows), but it was still relevant, and they were perfectly happy not just going without a localization, but releasing it systems that could never conceivably be released out of Japan to begin with! I'd like to guess at how that happened (cell phones are very popular in Japan, even though that doesn't excuse the myopia) but the whole "release three games on three systems we've never used in this series before" fiasco has never made any good business sense to me, and I've just grown to assume there's someone at SE that keeps confusing "good business" with "tacky stunts." This is another tacky stunt, in-line with SE's new tie-in game-based business model. At least I like X[chi]. Hopefully, once it's localized, other people will too.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

coded came out of some kind of arrangement on the Disney side of things (they were never very clear on the specifics though).

The DoCoMo Prime Series P-01A mobile phone however, was never very popular to begin with.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Just look at coded. coded may not be the most critical entry in the story (yet, who knows), but it was still relevant

Well, people tend to ignore it but coded was concrete proof that non-human beings could grow hearts. We had hints of it in Days, but coded was where it was really given light. coded also set the stage for KH3D, essentially foreshadowing everything that would take place. The whole final act in Castle Oblivion was a big warning to the audience (and Mickey) to realize that there were people connected to Sora tha needed help but he shouldn't try and fix their "hurt" too fast without risking his the safety of his own self. The warning wasn't passed on to Sora properly, and thus Sora did exactly that in KH3D. He tried taking on their pain and fell into the Darkness of his heart because of it.

ANYWAYS~

and they were perfectly happy not just going without a localization, but releasing it systems that could never conceivably be released out of Japan to begin with!

I don't think Nomura was really TOO happy about not being able to share it with the rest of the world. He knew there were no plans to get it out, but it was probably because it was costly to localize a free mobile game that wasn't extremely popular on a fairly unpopular phone model. In order to play coded, that specific DoCoMo series which had never been released in North America needed to be owned so it also presented a technical issue that probably was costly to work...

Which is why the solution given was Re:coded on the DS.

I'd like to guess at how that happened (cell phones are very popular in Japan, even though that doesn't excuse the myopia) but the whole "release three games on three systems we've never used in this series before" fiasco has never made any good business sense to me, and I've just grown to assume there's someone at SE that keeps confusing "good business" with "tacky stunts."

Not exactly. The DS and PSP were really popular, so SE felt it made sense to get their big franchises out on those systems because that meant revenue and to be fair Days remains to be one of SE's highest selling DS games to date and BBS was a huge success on the PSP. Also Nintendo asked SE for a game, so they made Days.

The DoCoMo Prime Series P-01A mobile phone however, was never very popular to begin with.

Weren't people really happy to finally put them to rest?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

\Which is why the solution given was Re:coded on the DS.
If I recall correctly, wasn't Re:coded made primarily for the North American fans since we were unable to enjoy its mobile counterpart?

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I would love to see Daybreak Town, Chirishii, or any of the foretellers appear in Kingdom Hearts III.

I'd just about keel over if the foretellers were secret bosses in KH3. I mean, given this is all based on a fairytale with the KH-realm I cannot see the foretellers actually being in the game given if they were real, they'd be long dead by now, but a battle against them would just put me over the edge of ecstasy lol

The important thing is just that they've made the motions to prepare for it. Whether something actually becomes of it is another story, but it's better than going "durr hurr diddly the western regions trolol."

but going "durr hurr diddly the western regions trolol" is pretty funny.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Re:coded made primarily for the North American fans since we were unable to enjoy its mobile counterpart?

I recall that too (could be wrong) which I think further shows that Nomura felt bad about not being able to bring it anywhere outside of Japan...if that is the way it went down.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yep. Just for us~ And then we have people who complain about it (even though it's fun and lighthearted game xD)

I'd just about keel over if the foretellers were secret bosses in KH3. I mean, given this is all based on a fairytale with the KH-realm I cannot see the foretellers actually being in the game given if they were real, they'd be long dead by now, but a battle against them would just put me over the edge of ecstasy lol

I was thinking more along the lines of seeing them in some kind of "flashbacK" as Yen Sid or another tells the story of the Keyblade War and how it relates to stopping Xehanort.

Five secret Foreteller battles would be fantastic, though! I can see some kind of time hijinks or magic allowing us to fight them. Maybe one of Merlin's time doors leads to them in Daybreak Town.

but going "durr hurr diddly the western regions trolol" is pretty funny.

When it is the same comment on every piece of chi news, it's not.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Lol didn't you see the last update where Nomura said the next story arc in chi would tie into the canon of the series? We've known this for about a month xD
I did see that update, but I was more on the impression that it would be just one item/character/event that would have an actual tie to the overaching main story, not an complete story arc or all of those weird mask guys.

I was also more amused about Nomura having just brought the story together on one(two) systems and then proceed to spread out again immediately instead of at least waiting for the next saga to start.
The less dedicated fans are already sour about the story being all over the place anyways and I am not sure if the series would get away unscathed if they do such a massive spreadout of an interconnected story again.

I don't think Nomura was really TOO happy about not being able to share it with the rest of the world. He knew there were no plans to get it out, but it was probably because it was costly to localize a free mobile game that wasn't extremely popular on a fairly unpopular phone model.

Not exactly. The DS and PSP were really popular, so SE felt it made sense to get their big franchises out on those systems because that meant revenue and to be fair Days remains to be one of SE's highest selling DS games to date and BBS was a huge success on the PSP. Also Nintendo asked SE for a game, so they made Days.
If the message in the artbook of HD 1.5 is anything to go about Nomura himself is in general not happy when things are going only Japan-exclusive at least when it concerns KH.
Although it is pretty clear that Nomura is not the man who calls the shots on what is released in which region, so it's somewhat irking to see people (especially in the west) blaming him for things he hasn't really full control over in the first place.

That is reasonable, and really counts for both the DS and PSP despite what some people like to spread about the PSP not being successful.
Still, it has to be allowed to wonder why SE didn't choose a standalone (story-wise) title (like a Final Fantasy or something like TWEWY) when Nintendo asked them for a game for the DS rather than a KH-title which is known for having an interconnected story that is difficult to understand when bits are missing and instead made all three, Days, BBS and Coded for the PSP (or even PS3).
Nomura himself has admitted that the wide console jumping was a bad idea and it was one of the main and most often cited critic points of the KH series after KH 2.

I mean, given this is all based on a fairytale with the KH-realm I cannot see the foretellers actually being in the game given if they were real, they'd be long dead by now, but a battle against them would just put me over the edge of ecstasy lol

I recall that too (could be wrong) which I think further shows that Nomura felt bad about not being able to bring it anywhere outside of Japan...if that is the way it went down.

It has to be a fairytale in any case because Heartless (especially the Emblems like Guard Armor) did not really exist in the worlds of the Realm of Light back then, not to mention the many Disney characters who would have to be immortal to not only being present at that time but also in order to somehow survive the total apocalypse the Keyblade War ended with where only a few children where implied to survive.

Not to mention that according to the Legends most of the Keyblade Wielders back then were not having a friendly competition to collect Light particles but egoistical assholes who wanted the light for themselves and crafted Keyblades only to conquer Kingdom Hearts, battlling each other instead of Heartless.

As I said above with the hint to the Message in the HD 1.5 artbook, Nomura seems to feel uncomfortable with Japan-only releases for KH in general.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards

Well, people tend to ignore it but coded was concrete proof that non-human beings could grow hearts. We had hints of it in Days, but coded was where it was really given light. coded also set the stage for KH3D, essentially foreshadowing everything that would take place. The whole final act in Castle Oblivion was a big warning to the audience (and Mickey) to realize that there were people connected to Sora tha needed help but he shouldn't try and fix their "hurt" too fast without risking his the safety of his own self. The warning wasn't passed on to Sora properly, and thus Sora did exactly that in KH3D. He tried taking on their pain and fell into the Darkness of his heart because of it.

ANYWAYS~

Heck, you don't need to tell me, coded is one of my favourite stories in this. But saying coded is important in the wrong parts of the internet gets ya spit-roasted so...

Anyway, as to the systems, I agree that the DS and PSP were popular in Japan, just that splitting across systems was a bad idea, and splitting a story-heavy series across five systems in the course of the last two generations (PS2, GBA, DS, PSP, DoCoMo, V-CAST) was a comical idea. I hadn't heard the DoCoMo was unpopular on top of that, sheesh. But at least that mess has mostly been rectified by re-releases, and is hopefully not about to reoccur (who... wants... an OUYA game?! :D:D). At least they were good games in the end!

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Heck, you don't need to tell me, coded is one of my favourite stories in this. But saying coded is important in the wrong parts of the internet gets ya spit-roasted so...

Good to find a coded friend-in-arms, then xD I love the game to pieces and always get sad when others don't, though I understand why they might be turned off by it.

Anyway, as to the systems, I agree that the DS and PSP were popular in Japan, just that splitting across systems was a bad idea, and splitting a story-heavy series across five systems in the course of the last two generations (PS2, GBA, DS, PSP, DoCoMo, V-CAST) was a comical idea. I hadn't heard the DoCoMo was unpopular on top of that, sheesh. But at least that mess has mostly been rectified by re-releases, and is hopefully not about to reoccur (who... wants... an OUYA game?! :D:D). At least they were good games in the end!

Yeah, it was...but it at least gave us some kind of story for KH3 to work towards. I think many of us would have preferred KH3 to start up its own saga of sorts, but that's okay. We've gotten some pretty interesting characters along the way...

Well, DoCoMo phones in general are well received in their market, but the specific line coded was on wasn't.

(shh V-CAST never happened; Disney shouldn't have tried)

Personally hoping SE aims for multiplatform for future KH games...It's the only true solution to console spread, outside of going Sony exclusive.

I was also more amused about Nomura having just brought the story together on one(two) systems and then proceed to spread out again immediately instead of at least waiting for the next saga to start.
The less dedicated fans are already sour about the story being all over the place anyways and I am not sure if the series would get away unscathed if they do such a massive spreadout of an interconnected story again.

It's still just a fairytale. Nobody is REALLY missing out on anything by not playing chi, just this little story they can rehash in a cutscene and some secret reports in KH3 if it is THAT necessary. It's just a ploy to get people to play chi in all honesty, and one that will probably work.

If the message in the artbook of HD 1.5 is anything to go about Nomura himself is in general not happy when things are going only Japan-exclusive at least when it concerns KH.
Although it is pretty clear that Nomura is not the man who calls the shots on what is released in which region, so it's somewhat irking to see people (especially in the west) blaming him for things he hasn't really full control over in the first place.

Yeah, it's always been obvious none of these decisions are Nomura's...but since he's the director and the only person people are familiar with, he's the perfect scapegoat to blame as sad as it is to say.

Still, it has to be allowed to wonder why SE didn't choose a standalone (story-wise) title (like a Final Fantasy or something like TWEWY) when Nintendo asked them for a game for the DS rather than a KH-title which is known for having an interconnected story that is difficult to understand when bits are missing and instead made all three, Days, BBS and Coded for the PSP (or even PS3).

That will always be the million dollar question.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards

Yeah, coded's not for everybody, but it's a shame.

Well, DoCoMo phones in general are well received in their market, but the specific line coded was on wasn't.

Interesting, thanks!

Personally hoping SE aims for multiplatform for future KH games...It's the only true solution to console spread, outside of going Sony exclusive.

Tell me about it. My friend, who otherwise has every game in the series and arguably bought a PSP to do it, still hasn't played DDD. Buy a system for one game and you sort of get burned out on doing it again. We're hoping for but not counting on a near-KHIII re-release, or maybe for his bonus cheque to go to his head (his words, not mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back