• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Keychains you wish weren't as good

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

This series has pumped out tons of keychains, with various effects on the wielder's key that trascend the cosmetic differences. Some are fan favorites like the oathkeeper and oblivion, while others are.... meh. But there are some that are excellent keyblades with good abilities/reach that just rub you the wrong way. So I composed this thread to compile them, to see what the fandom thinks of the top tier keys that just don't deserve it.
I'll start:

The Classic Tone: Okay, this is a reference to the old mickey shorts that the classic kingdom minigames are based on, great. But this keyblade is clearly superior than most of the main keyblades you'd get from bonuses. Don't believe me? it has a strength of 11 and magic at 14 when upgraded to its maximum stats, the latter of which is the HIGHEST in the game, not even the ultima weapon and oathkeeper surpasses it. And it formchanges into a guardian form of the favorite deputy, so it's not even a unique keyblade in that sense. To make matters worse, all three of its abilities are MP Haste, an extremely good ability to have on a weapon so you don't waste item/accessory slots, because the effect stacks. And as I said I get the design, but it just looks ridiculous, there's a ton of serious moments near the end of the game, everybody has their signature keyblades and here's Sora wielding what is effectively cartoon junk formed into a key. I also hate the fact that if you're doing the pro code trophy, this keyblade is a necessity, as it's MP haste ability reduces the effects of MP slip.
What are your least favorite keyblades that are good? let me know.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Not keyblade, but one of Donald’s staves. I love the Wisdom Wand from KH2, but every time I’d play KH2 and get to the point where that staff is available, chances are I’ve gotten more powerful weapons from him that I don’t like as much aesthetically.

Keyblade Knight 1st Class

Awards
The Crabclaw. It's so brightly colored that it's obnoxious. Especially if you use it in Halloweentown. But at that point in the game, it's probably the best keychain available.

kaseykockroach

Awards
The Crabclaw. It's so brightly colored that it's obnoxious. Especially if you use it in Halloweentown. But at that point in the game, it's probably the best keychain available.
I always go to Halloween Town first anyway so I’m leveled up more for the upcoming Giant Ursula fight!

Awards
Decisive Pumpkin.

A keyblade that ugly doesn't deserve to be one of the strongest in the game.

Divine Rose.

It stole Oblivion's spot as strongest keyblade that isn't earned from the coliseum or Ultima Weapon. Also it's again one of those weird looking keyblades that just sticks out in the final portion of the game.

Counterpoint.

Once again, ugly ass keyblade that doesn't fit with the final portions of the game yet is the strongest non-optional keyblade.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Counterpoint's purpose is to ensure the player A ranks all of the dives. speaking from experience

Soldier

Awards
Decisive Pumpkin.

Divine Rose.

It stole Oblivion's spot as strongest keyblade that isn't earned from the coliseum or Ultima Weapon. Also it's again one of those weird looking keyblades that just sticks out in the final portion of the game.

Counterpoint.

Once again, ugly ass keyblade that doesn't fit with the final portions of the game yet is the strongest non-optional keyblade.
To be fair, the Divine Rose has some justification for its innate strength. How does that old saying go?
"Every rose has thorns".

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Honestly I find the design of Lionheart kind of boring I mean I know it’s plus 10 in strength but it just looks uninteresting in my opinion especially when you consider there is Keyblades that are just as good that have cooler designs

Slightly off topic since I know we are only meant to be mentioning good Keyblades and I know Treasure Trove isn’t that great but I hate the design of Treasure Trove it looks awful

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I always felt the same way about Crabclaw. I always hated its design and it looks horrible against the Halloween Town aesthetic. KH2's Mysterious Deep was a much nicer design for the TLM world's Keyblade, imo.

Decisive Pumpkin.

Same with Rumbling Rose.

Like kaceykockroach, I always hate those Keyblades that you really want to use, but come later than more powerful Keyblades. Like the Metal Chocobo and Lionheart Keyblades in KH1, for example. I mean, what use are they when you have Oathkeeper, Oblivion, and Divine Rose by that point? Or the staff the Fairy Godmother gives you for all the summons. Regardless of their power inferiority, I've always liked using the Dream Shield and Dream Staff from Dive to the Heart as soon as they become available up 'til I get Save the Queen and Save the King.

okhi12

Awards
I hate Chaos Ripper. It's obtained immediately after Ends of the Earth which is Terra's most iconic keyblade and my favorite one in the game, but Chaos Ripper is obscenely strong. Sure, Ends of the Earth is more balanced while Chaos Ripper has the disadvantage of decreasing magic, but using magic with Terra -except Curaga and Magnega- is almost pointless so I stick to Chaos Ripper for all Mirage Arena battles until I get Ultima Weapon.

Another Terra exclusive keyblade I don't like is Darkgnaw, in this case because it's just pointless. It isn't particularly useful by the time it's obtained if you forget about Mirage Arena until the end of the game and it makes no sense that Terra gets four exclusive keyblades while Aqua and Ven get only three (actually Aqua gets five but I'm not counting Final and Secret episode).

Destiny's Embrace and Frolic Flame are obtained as part as the story and make sense, but Darkgnaw is just shoved in after some random optional battle.
Does anybody ever use Darkgnaw?

I also hate that in KH2 Star Seeker is stuck in Valor Form's slot when you get it and cannot use it as the main keyblade until you get a third one, but it's not a very useful keyblade anyway.

And special mention to Favorite Deputy, the keyblade I equip for 90% of KH3 because it has Lucky Strike even though I don't like it at all and I hate the hammer and drill transformations.

Soldier

Awards
I hate Chaos Ripper. It's obtained immediately after Ends of the Earth which is Terra's most iconic keyblade and my favorite one in the game, but Chaos Ripper is obscenely strong. Sure, Ends of the Earth is more balanced while Chaos Ripper has the disadvantage of decreasing magic, but using magic with Terra -except Curaga and Magnega- is almost pointless so I stick to Chaos Ripper for all Mirage Arena battles until I get Ultima Weapon.

Another Terra exclusive keyblade I don't like is Darkgnaw, in this case because it's just pointless. It isn't particularly useful by the time it's obtained if you forget about Mirage Arena until the end of the game and it makes no sense that Terra gets four exclusive keyblades while Aqua and Ven get only three (actually Aqua gets five but I'm not counting Final and Secret episode).

Destiny's Embrace and Frolic Flame are obtained as part as the story and make sense, but Darkgnaw is just shoved in after some random optional battle.
Does anybody ever use Darkgnaw?

I also hate that in KH2 Star Seeker is stuck in Valor Form's slot when you get it and cannot use it as the main keyblade until you get a third one, but it's not a very useful keyblade anyway.

And special mention to Favorite Deputy, the keyblade I equip for 90% of KH3 because it has Lucky Strike even though I don't like it at all and I hate the hammer and drill transformations.
You're preaching to the choir man, chaos ripper would be terrible on any other character but Terra. Like, is there even any point for the -5 magic? Everyone knows that Terra's strength is his physical blows and not his magic stat. It doesn't affect Cure magic, so of course it'll be widely used.

And yeah, I don't like favorite deputy that much. Using the hammer and drill was fun for a bit, but it wore on me as time went on. Why does it even have lucky strike as an ability if it's based on a cowboy and space ranger? Most party members that get lucky strike are outlaws like Flynn Rider and Jack Sparrow, which makes sense as they'd be more inclined to line their pockets with loot. But a sheriff is one of the most honorable jobs in the west, so what's the point?

Would've been better on the Wheel of Fate keyblade, as that's an obscenely strong one that has justification for it being on there with the pirate theme, and it's AOE attacks would make quick work of grinding heartless.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Off-topic thought I had when reading that stuff about Favorite Deputy: Am I the only one who is reminded of Sauron when the Rapunzel Keyblade does its transformation / attack? lol

Dark Rot

Awards
Counterpoint is the most egregious, by far. I can't believe they neglected to give Sora and Riku cool late-game keychains through the story after there were so many cool ones in BBS. Especially since DDD is so character-focused. And the optional keychains are a pain to acquire. No one should have to play through those dives more than once per playthrough.

They basically did it again with Wheel of Fate, but at least that's a cool keyblade and has easily the best transformation(s).

Soldier

Awards
Counterpoint is the most egregious, by far. I can't believe they neglected to give Sora and Riku cool late-game keychains through the story after there were so many cool ones in BBS. Especially since DDD is so character-focused. And the optional keychains are a pain to acquire. No one should have to play through those dives more than once per playthrough.

They basically did it again with Wheel of Fate, but at least that's a cool keyblade and has easily the best transformation(s).
Non necessario on the Wheel of Fate situation, as you eventually get the Starlight Keyblade, which is an all around okay keyblade with a powered up second form.

okhi12

Awards
And yeah, I don't like favorite deputy that much. Using the hammer and drill was fun for a bit, but it wore on me as time went on. Why does it even have lucky strike as an ability if it's based on a cowboy and space ranger? Most party members that get lucky strike are outlaws like Flynn Rider and Jack Sparrow, which makes sense as they'd be more inclined to line their pockets with loot. But a sheriff is one of the most honorable jobs in the west, so what's the point?

Would've been better on the Wheel of Fate keyblade, as that's an obscenely strong one that has justification for it being on there with the pirate theme, and it's AOE attacks would make quick work of grinding heartless.
I agree, Lucky Strike makes no sense on Favorite Deputy. Maybe the point is getting the ability early into the game, but there's already a small but abusable chance of getting a Lucky Ring with the same ability very early into the game via the Twilight Town mailbox.

Soldier

Awards
But
I agree, Lucky Strike makes no sense on Favorite Deputy. Maybe the point is getting the ability early into the game, but there's already a small but abusable chance of getting a Lucky Ring with the same ability very early into the game via the Twilight Town mailbox.
But to that end, the original KH 2's keyblade that had lucky strike was the sweet memories, which you don't recieve until VERY late in the game. So again that kind of throws a wrench in the works.

Back