• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kanye West 808's Heartbreak

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vin

Bronze Member
kanye-west-808s-heartbreak-kaws-2.jpg

Following the release of his third studio album Graduation, the remainder of 2007 and the following year featured events that emotionally affected Kanye West. On November 10, 2007, West's mother Donda West died due to complications arising from cosmetic surgery involving a tummy tuck and breast reduction procedure.[1] Months later, West broke off his engagement and separated with his fiancée Alexis Phifer.[2] At the same time, West displayed struggle in adapting to his newfound pop star status he had once strived to achieve, often becoming the subject of media scrutiny. The loss, loneliness and longing for companionship and a sense of normalcy served to inspire the conception 808s & Heartbreak. West stated that "This album was therapeutic — it's lonely at the top.

West felt that the emotions he felt within his heart could not be fully expressed simply through rapping, saying that aside from the fact that rapping had limitations, there were "melodies that were in me — what was in me I couldn't stop."[4] West went to classify 808s & Heartbreak as a pop album, stating his disdain towards the contemporary backlash to the concept of pop music and expressed that some greatest musicians of all time, particularly Michael Jackson and Madonna, were pop artists.[5] He later stated that he wishes to present the music as a new genre called "pop art", not to be confused with the visual art movement of the same name.The album was recorded in under two weeks in Hawaii.

So did anyone pick up this album. I did. I know alot of people hate it. But I am loving it.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
I heard it is a great CD. I just ain't feeling the auto-tune phase that hip-hop is going through. I mean at first I though t that Kanye just made this album as a joke and that nobody would buy it. But boy was I wrong. I might check out a bit more of the tracks before going out to go buy it.

Vin

Bronze Member
Yes, true the auto tune did get on my nerves at first, for this album. But then I got used to it. Some tracks I recommend that you check out are: Robocop, Bad News, See You in my Nightmares, Welcome To Heartbreak, and Street Lights. Those are all my favorites. You may have to listen to some of them more then once to like them

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
I really like "See you in my Nightmares" and "Amazing"

"Robocop" and "Streetlights" I've almost listened to but I just cannot get over the auto tune. I just think its not a good sound for Kanye. I might give them a chance while I'm driving home today though.

Vin

Bronze Member
lol I am just gonna flat out say it. I like the whole album besides Say You Will. "Amazing" is amazing to.
Did you listen to Paranoid yet?

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
No not yet, the only songs I have completly listened to from the album are: "See you in My nightmares" "Amazing" "Heartless" and "Love Lockdown"

I got a few more downloaded, but have yet to actually listen to them.

Vin

Bronze Member
Ok. Tell me what you think, when you have.

Shade737

Silver Member
I downloaded it awhile back and I like it though its not one of my favs but its good.

Vin

Bronze Member
I am curious, what songs do you like on it?

Hokage

Banned
Awards
I love this fucking CD. RoboCop is my favorite song, See You in my Nightmares is awesome and Amazing is just that.

I'm one of Kanye's biggest fans and I didn't think he could pull this off but he did wonderfully IMO. I feel weird bumping this in my car but the music is amazing. Kanye may be a douchebag but he's a genius at music.

Edit: Paranoid is also pretty great, and Street Lights is awesome. Autotune is overused but it doesn't really detract from the music that much so it's all good. The music is great though

Shade737

Silver Member
These are the songs that I listen to in it.
Welcome to Heartbreak
Heartless
Amazing
Love Lockdown
Paranoid
Robocop
See you in my Knightmares
Coldest Winter
I have no favorites exactly.

Vin

Bronze Member
I love this fucking CD. RoboCop is my favorite song, See You in my Nightmares is awesome and Amazing is just that.

I'm one of Kanye's biggest fans and I didn't think he could pull this off but he did wonderfully IMO. I feel weird bumping this in my car but the music is amazing. Kanye may be a douchebag but he's a genius at music.

Edit: Paranoid is also pretty great, and Street Lights is awesome. Autotune is overused but it doesn't really detract from the music that much so it's all good. The music is great though

This. lol I agree with everything you said.

MF29

I'm going to go ahead and be honest and say that, I don't like the new Auto-Tune effect on "Rap Artists'" voices, it just isn't appealing. I've had enough of T-Pussy, and the mindless songs he puts together. Kanye West utilizes it well, though.

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
Auto-tune IS pretty annoying. Instrumentation on Heartbreak more than makes up for it though, s'all fantastic.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Bought it and loved it. Bumpin it on my iPhone right now. Yeezy is a genius. I prefer the rapping, flashin lights Kanye to this singing one, but I rest assured that this is not a permanent style for him. He already said that his next album will be out in June of next year so it's all good.

Amazing - 5/5 Probably the lightest moment on the whole album. Kanye sings about being "amazing with a reign as far as your eyes can see." Jeezy puts in a decent verse after some weird, but well-placed, animal sounds.

Welcome to Heartbreak - 4/5 I would've preferred this as the opening as opposed to the dull "Say You Will". Kid Cudi sings the hook of the song while Kanye wishes he could trade his fame for a family.

See You In My Nightmares - 4/5 Duet by Kanye and Lil Wayne. Neither can sing, but their both genius' in their own ways. They've broken up with a girlfriend and tell her to tell everybody. Apparently it was so bad they're gonna see her in their nightmares. Weezy's verse is full of somewhat dark comedy. Kanye uses the auto-tune to strangle his voice into sounding almost unbearably angry.

Paranoid - 4/5 This one features some guy named Mr. Hudson. I have no idea who that is, nor is their a whole lot to say about this track. Great listen though.

Coldest Winter - 4.5/5 Repetitive track sounds like something OneRepublic would do. Ballad about Kanye's deceased mother. Good listen that conveys what Kanye was trying to do by singing; make his audience feel something. He's not singing for the hell of it.

It goes without saying that Love Lockdown and Heartless are also two of the best on the album. I'd give them both a 5/5.

Great album for a bad time in Kanye's career. He's at the top and has nobody to share it with. This is good on an experimental level. I honestly hope it's not the last time he uses auto-tune. But i'd prefer if the Louis Vuitton Don was the predominant side of him.

Killa DeX

Circa Old Valendian 706
this is a good album but kanye can't do auto-tune as good as t-pain can, but i will give a lot on this album credit mostly amazing cause thst got my boy Jeezy on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back