• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Kairi's Diary

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
PLEASE READ: Alright, so I have decided to post links to the chapters. That way it will be easier to look for them instead of going through each post to find it. :] Yay for convenience. And I really appreciate those who are taking the time to read this, it means a lot to me. More than you know!! The links provided take you to the page that the chapter is on, so just scroll down and you'll see it.

Prologue: Below
Chapter 1: Below
Chapter 2: Below
Chapter 3: http://forums.khinsider.com/literature/103159-kairi-s-diary-2.html
Chapter 4: http://forums.khinsider.com/literature/103159-kairi-s-diary-2.html
Chapter 5: http://forums.khinsider.com/literature/103159-kairi-s-diary-3.html
Chapter 6: In-progress. :]

Prologue
Dear Sora,

I hate today. I really do. It’s just not fair, why does the past always come back to haunt me? Why can’t it just go away and never come back? Tell me, Sora, why can’t that happen? I hate my past, horrid, painful and full of sorrow.

You want to know what happened today? Ok, here it is. I was in my dumb English class when that girl, Naminé, came over and ‘stole’ one of my friends! You see, since you’ve left, I’ve been trying to make new friends.(I wish we were going to the same schools, why did you have to move?!) Well, I was trying to start a pleasant conversation with Olette until Naminé came over and just took over. Olette got so involved with Naminé,(that’s exactly what Naminé had intended) Olette kinda forgot I was even there; it was as if I was invisible. Not there and non-existent. Have you ever felt that way? Abandoned, neglected, or even isolated? I have, and it depresses me so much. I know that I should forget the past, but it’s just so hard to do that when the past is right in front of you??

Right now, you don’t know how much I would give to be with you right now, this very moment. I miss your smile, I miss your eyes, I miss you so much. I want to cry everyday, but I don’t. I hold it back, I refuse to cry. Right now, you don’t know how much I want you to be here, because you’re always there for me. Always.

Luv ya,

Kairi

Kairi, the hurt fifteen-year-old, closed her diary and slid into her bed, to wake up early the next day. She closed her eyes and sighed greatly. She didn’t want to go to school tomorrow. Staying at home was what she wanted to do. Going back to school to get hurt even more made her sad inside.

Gloomy thoughts came to the poor girls mind. She envisioned that her former best friend would do something even more hurtful to her the next day. She thought about the malice things that she had schemed in her mind, drawing them out in her precious drawing book that she had forever. Fretfully, she sat up in her bed and glanced at her alarm clock.

1:14 a.m.

She got out of bed and crept softly towards her balcony. A cool, refreshing breeze swayed her auburn hair as well as her blue night gown. She stared at the stars. How brightly they shone above. They looked so peaceful, so calm. Kairi took a breath of the air and exhaled. Searching the star-filled sky for a shooting star, she thought about what she wanted to wish for. The sky was still, nothing moved. Regardless, Kairi closed her eyes and whispered, “Sora, I wish you were here with me.”

Last edited:

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
Hey!!

Thanks a bunch! I have the first chapter already ready (But I'm afraid it's way too long - 16 pages / 7,000 +) But we'll see. The prologue it a bit different than the next chapter, but I wanted to set a sort of a base.

I think that pairing in interesting too (you will see soon) I just might post the first chapter tonight.

BTW, I love your icon. Tokio (sp?) Hotel rocks :]

Thanks again for the comment!!

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
Title: Kairi's Diary
Author: Sora788
Rating: T 13+
Type: OOC/AU
Disclaimer: I do not own Kingdom Hearts in any shape or form.
Crossings: Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VIII
A/N: Hello everyone!! I am happy to say that this is my first Kairi fanfic. I am really excited to see how this will turn out because I have everything planned. It would mean a lot if you could review for my story, tell me what you think. I hope it's not too long, but I believe that the characters that I have used for this fanfic is quite interesting. Please review, thanks.

Kairi’s Diary​

Chapter 1: A Drop of my Blood

My light blue eyes scanned the school library’s bookshelf for a good history book about how witchcraft was put to an end, but I couldn’t find exactly what I needed. I wanted a book to tell me all about how people who were accused of being ‘witches’ or ‘wizards’ dealt with the hardship, how they rebelled, and all that good stuff. I better get an A on this report that I am writing is for U.S. history class because I am going to work my ass off. There were enough books in my exhausted arms to level up above my chest.

My new best friend, Olette, chose the same topic as me to present. Even though we have the same course, we are not in the same class. Olette was a long time friend of mine since the third grade. Except, she and I went to different middle schools after grade school, so we never really saw each other or talked to each other again for three years, until high school.

By mistake, she came to Spanish class at the wrong period on the first day, that’s when we freaked out with glee when we saw each other. It was a happy moment, since my other best friend, Sora, wasn’t attending the same high school. Trust me, I miss him dearly even though I have Olette around. Well, if she never made that mistake, who knows if we would we standing next to each other at this moment.

“Did you find what you were looking for, Kairi?” She raked over the line of books that I was exploring thoroughly. Letting out a depressed sigh, I said, “Not really.” We moved down to the next row, hopefully I will find what I’m looking for because we have been in this library for at least an hour and an half, after school hours of course.

A thin red book engraved with thick light-golden Castellar font letters on the spine of the book caught my attention. The title read ‘Witchcraft’, that’s all it said. Nothing else. I guess it was the brilliant scarlet color and letters that was an outcast compared to the rest of the other dull colored books. What struck me odd was that I did not see an author’s name on the cover when I inquired Olette to remove it and show me, since my hands were already occupied with several books that I just didn’t want to put down. Picking them up again would be a great struggle.

“Who wrote the book?” I asked, confused at this misleading detail. “Maybe the author forgot to write their name on it,“ Olette suggested, half seriously and half teasingly. She relaxed the book on top of my other books in my hold. “C’mon you already have enough books!”

I kinda hoped that she’d offer to carry some of this load, but she simply walked onwards to who knows where. “Wait up for me, Olette!” She was already to the table that we were studying at. Picking up her couple of books, she stayed put for me to catch up with her. I trailed behind her as we made our way to the check out desk.

I didn’t realize how many books I had picked up until I stacked them altogether on the counter for the shrewd, fragile librarian to scan. I’m assuming that I must be really desperate to pass this assignment: 10 – 14 books is more than enough.

“Excuse me, Kairi.”

The aged lady brought my attention from my ridiculous pile to the ruby book that I looked at earlier. She turned the book in all angles before she spoke again, as if to make sure she was not overlooking anything. “I don’t see the code on the back of this book for me to check it out for you.” Apparently, she was referring to the scany thingy on the back of books that you zip the scanner through.

Taking the book from her hands, I looked around the book, behind the cover, and even the back cover. It was no where. “From where did you pick the book up?” I pointed at the far corner across the library when she asked me the question.

“Can I still take out the book?”

Looking around to see if no one was nearby, she leaned in closer to me across the counter and whispered quietly. “I don’t think this book belongs to us, regardless, I think you can keep it, even if it is one of ours.”

Sweet Ms. Lee. “Are you sure?” I asked quietly back, I didn’t want to take school property and get the blame for it. She nodded her head as she continued to check out the remaining books for me. Well, if this book doesn’t belong to the school, I guess I’ll take it. Magic and witches are a bit interesting, so I wont mind adding this to my collection of books. I don’t mean to sound like a nerd, but I read a lot, way too much then an average person - or high school girl – should.

“C’mon Kairi!” Olette called as she tugged onto my shirt and headed for the exit. I quickly gathered my bizarre stack of books back into my aching arms and followed, still wishing that Olette would offer to help. I would ask, but I don’t know if she will mind so I just dealt with it. Besides, it’s not her fault that I am a study freak. I placed the red book at top and the moment I did, an incredible amount of weight seemed to added.

Whoa, these books are heavy.

Olette and I were walking side by side out on the crowded streets of Twilight Town. A few clumsy people bumped into me at times, almost causing me to lose my balance. I stole a glance at Olette, she seemed to be day dreaming about who knows what. In the meantime, my arms were screaming from all the weight I carried.

The setting sunset blinded me a bit when I peeked out on the sides of the books in front of me. To block the irritating sun’s rays from my eyes, I ducked behind the tower I held. I couldn’t see anything but at least I wasn’t squinting.

Suddenly, I felt a hard force slamming hard against me from the front. The impact caused my books to fall in over all directions, spread out everywhere on the ground. I fell down behind me painfully. I surge of pain struck my body. My hands were scrapped, bleeding even. A line of blood oozed from the corner of my thumb to the end of my palm.

I gazed at the boy ahead of me, lying on the floor just like me, but he fell face first. His black and navy blue skateboard was flipped over by him and his bag beside it. He slowly peered up, with a sorry expression on his face. I glared angrily, he better help me now.

“Kairi! Are you alright?” Olette kneeled by my side making sure I wasn’t hurt or anything. I shot a quick glance at her direction, telling her I was fine. A wave of relief came over her, then she turned towards the boy as well.

“Are you OK?” he asked me getting up himself, staring at me dumbly.

“No!” I exclaimed madly. “Do I look OK to you?”

“But you just told your friend that you were fine.” he said plainly, not understanding my sudden change in attitude.

“Look at what you did!” I pointed at my books scattered about. Before I could say anything more, he scrambled back on the floor picking them up. I sat silently, watching as he quietly gathered my belongings and stuffed them in his bag. Then he handed it too me, hoping I forgave him.

I held onto the handle of the bag without hesitation, grateful for something to carry my books with, but my bleeding, scrapped hands ached with pain. I hoisted the bag on my back instead.

“Thanks.” I muttered under my breath, calming down somewhat but not all the way.

“Name’s Riku.” He held out a hand for me after introducing himself to me.

I sheepishly gazed at his face, so flawless. His long silver hair covered part of his aquamarine eyes, gave him sort of an edgy look. His skin was perfect, not a single blemish in sight.

My hand interlocked with his as he helped me stand up. “Thanks…” He removed his hand from mine and stared at it, then he looked back at me. He reached for my hands and turned them over, his eyes trailing over the thin blood swimming around my scratched palms. A long cut traveled across my hand, with blood beginning to spur out.

“You’re bleeding.” He stated matter-of-factly, stating the obvious. “And now there’s blood on my hands too.” He showed me his palm covered with a tint of my red blood. How embarrassing! Well it was his fault in the first place. His cool eyes glistened at the sight of my blood, his lips turned to a smile. I shook my grasp from his cold hands, his hands were too cold to touch. “Sorry about that.” What should I be sorry for? Nothing.

“Don’t be. I‘m the one who should be sorry.” He grabbed his skateboard and rode aimlessly the opposite direction from me. When he was almost out of earshot he called out from behind him, “You can keep the bag!”

I turned around and continued to walk with Olette. My mind was still aching and I felt too tired to tell him that he should take it back soon. Olette giggled beside me. I peered over at her.

“What?” I asked, wondering what was so funny getting hit by a stranger then bleeding afterwards with pain and agony dwelling in your hands. “What are you laughing about?”

“Don’t tell me you don’t know who that is!!” She started to get really excited. “That’s Riku!”

“Yeah so…” I didn’t care who he was, he was blind enough to hurt me…stupid skateboarders.

She didn’t bother explaining more, seeing my lack of interest. She sighed heavily and whispered something I didn’t understand.

Upon reaching my house, we said our goodbyes to each other. Olette walked farther down the sidewalk as I entered my home.

“I’m home!” I announced loudly so that my aunt and brother could be aware of my presence. I started up the stairs towards my room. It wasn’t too flashy or extraordinary, but it was suitable. The pale blue colored walls matched the creamy white color of the covers on my bed. My tidy and organized desk leaned against the opposite wall, with the open window beside it. A slight cool breeze entered the room, causing my hair to flow behind me.

I edged closer to it, noticing the heavy clouds. Looks like it will rain soon. That’s the thing about Twilight Town, it almost never rained so today’s weather would be something unusual. What hit me odd was the sudden change it atmosphere. It was fine a few moments ago when it was sunny and bright, now all of a sudden it was windy and the dark clouds began to accumulate above.

My thoughts about the weather were interrupted by a knock on my door. It was my nosy, annoying 17-year-old brother Leon. I didn’t have to look at him to know who it was standing at my door, looking at me.

“What, Leon?” My eyes were glued to the sky still, one hand on my cheek and the other under my chin.

“Auntie’s not home,” he said annoyed. I heard him coming over to sit on my bed. Regardless of my yelling at him to not enter my room without my persmission, he doesn’t listen to me. I had given up months ago, now he enters my room whenever he wants.

“So what do you want me to do about it.” My faced was still turned away from him. I really wasn’t in the mood to talk to him.

“I’m hungry,” he replied meaningfully.

“So…”

“So make dinner. I will be waiting.” His voiced started to get more aggressive, as if he’ll die if I didn’t cook him something that very moment.

After our parents died, our only aunt took care of us. But at times when she wasn’t home, like now for instance, I had to take over. My older brothers apparently isn’t capable of doing anything by himself. He can’t cook, clean, do laundry, or dance even. Trust me, watching him trying to dance is torture.

Pure. Torture.

Letting out a depressed sigh, I said, “Alright. I will be right there.” This time I looked at him.

“Ah!” He looked at me with his dark brown eyes in shock when he saw me. I don’t know whether he was trying to be funny or just trying to bother me.

“What?” I wasn’t in the mood for this nonsense.

“What’s wrong with your face?” He pointed an accusing finger at me, but I still didn’t understand where he was getting at. “There’s blood on it!”

Blood? Oh no. I looked at my hands, surly when I touched my face when I gazed out the window, it must have smeared on by mistake. Still, I don’t think it was that much to scream about.

“Oh that. It’s nothing.” I remarked trying to sound as if having blood on your face wasn’t something to squirm about.

“What happened?” He was walking over to me now, trying to get a better look at my face although that’s not where the blood was coming from.

“Some idiot collided into me on the streets today and I scrapped my hands…” I explained, with a bored expression. “Can you get me some band aids?”

Leon was already out the room, calling that he was already heading to get some for me. Thank goodness. I went to the bathroom and washed my hands clean and waited until Leon came. He gave me a few bandages and helped me put them on. The pain didn’t ease too much but it was better than before.

The wind was blowing harder now, the clouds had grown fiercer and darker. The white curtains flapped violently. Riku’s bag sat at the foot of my bed, also swaying back and forth. I hurriedly shut the window down, the room settled finally. I took in a deep breath and grabbed the bag and emptied out the contents. The books spilled out evenly across my bed.

I scanned the pile looking for the scarlet, author-less book. It wasn’t in the pile. Oh no. What if it was left behind when I dropped everything? Great. I will never know what that book will say. It looked so mysterious, I wanted to add it to my collection of books. I turned to my shelf full of books arranged in an organized fashion. I tried to imagine my collection without the thin red book.

I sighed. What did it matter…?

--xxx--

A cold harsh wind blew against my skin as I hurried towards the market place where I had fallen earlier. My auburn hair shook in the direction of the wind, my lip quivered from the cold. The streets were barren, hardly anyone walked among these streets now. I bet the weather had something to do with it. I must be dumb enough to come out in this kind of weather to look for some book.

My azure eyes were focused on the ground, searching desperately for my book. It was no where to be found. A wave of disappointment came over me when I didn’t see it anywhere. What happened to it? Did the wind just blew it away? Did someone pick it up? I stood there like an idiot in the middle of the street.

Sighing heavily, I walked slowly towards home. My gaze was on the floor again, sad and disappointed.

“Hey!”

A familiar voice cried out, the wind over powering it. I turned around to see who it was. Riku was speed walking towards me, without his skateboard this time. He waved a hand at me, I waved back trying to be polite.

He stood in front of me, smiling wide. “What are you doing here at this time?”

Fool. What does it matter to you? Is it important that you know? No. I should be asking you what you’re doing here…really, what are you doing here?

“I was looking for my book. I must have left it here by accident.” Something told me to be nice and tell him. His dreamy blue-green eyes bore into my blue ones. No one talked, it kinda made me uncomfortable. I coughed to break some tension, which I think failed.

“I will help you look for it.” He flashed me a smile and threw an offer that I couldn’t refuse. It would be nice if he helped looked, after all it is part of his fault. No, it is entirely his fault.

“Sure.” I looked down the streets and he scanned the sides of the buildings just in case the wind pushed it somewhere around.

After at least six minutes, he rushed to me with a grin on his face. “I found it!”

Phew. Relief came over me, my book was found. I couldn’t help but be thankful and feel overjoyed.

“Thank you so much!” I reached out my hand to take the book from his grasp, but something was wrong. I tugged at it but he didn’t loosen his grip. His aquamarine eyes turned a fiercer color, it changed to a piercing black shade. I tugged harder to get the book from his hands, but he just stared hard at it, not letting go.

“You can give it to me now!” I said between clenched teeth. This was stupid. You found it now you’re not handing it over!! What gives…

My cry broke his hard gaze, he slowly turned to look at me. His eyes turned back to normal, his face became softer. It was like a dark phase swept by him and was gone now. Strands of his silver hair brushed against his face.

He released his firm grip and the thin book were in my hands now. He seemed to notice my bandaged hands. “I’m really sorry about that.”

“It’s alright.” No it’s not. How can I possibly do anything with my hands aching like hell? Well, nice talking to you Riku, but I’m going to go now. “See you later.”

His right shoulder gently hit against my shoulder when I walked by him. His sudden touch seemed so cold, icy cold. It sent shivers running through my body, my lip began to quiver more than before, but quickly stopped.

I didn’t glance back as I walked away. I was too busy observing my book. I know it’s not much, but it’s still mine and I would like to have it. It might even help me with my history report.

The wind blew more violently now, rustling my hair into a thick tangled mess. I hurriedly shut the door behind me as I scurried upstairs back to my room. I locked the door of my room so that Leon, my annoying brother, wouldn’t bother me when I was doing me homework.

I figured Leon heard me because I heard faint footsteps coming towards my room. He stood outside, knocking again.

“Go away!!”

“I said I’m hungry!” He whined reverently. I heard him sigh dramatically as if he were in pain.

“Order take out!” I commanded him, yelling a little louder than I should have. Oh well.

He grumbled something under his breath about Chinese food or something and went off down stairs, descending loudly as he did to show me how pissed off he was. I was more pissed at him than he was at me.

Cooling down a bit, I grabbed my school bag and took out some paper. My book titled ‘Witchcraft’ lay at the edge of my desk, beside my laptop. I took out some paper and pen to take notes down about the topic so that I could have references when I write my final product.

Grabbing my book I opened it to the first page.

Nothing. Blank. Wordless. Plain. White. Empty.

My face fell. I got a book that had nothing written in it. What was this? I turned to the cover, but something was different. The book turned into a creamy pink shade with a beautiful rose imprinted on it. The words ‘Witchcraft’ disappeared, as if it were never there.

“Hmm…” This was odd. I was sure it was red before, not it’s not. Maybe it’s one of those mood color changing books! Nah, no such thing.

The rain poured in heavy torrents, splashing against my window occasionally. The lamp on my desk flickered for a moment. The house was silent, I couldn’t hear anything but my breathing. An eerie silence filled the air, leaving me uncomfortable.

I shook my head, as if shaking off the fear that was beginning to consume me. But, there was nothing to fear.

I opened the book once more and flipped through the pages, all the pages. And as I did, I noticed that the pages gave off a sweet smelling aroma. It smelled quite pleasant actually, it made me feel a little dizzy because it was too strong. My eyes widened when I reached to the last page. There was writing on it. I don’t know who wrote in it, but it was the script was written beautifully.

Please write in me.

“Please write in me.” I repeated confused and not knowing what it meant. Well since it’s mine, I guess I could do anything the heck I wanted to do with it. I reached for a pen and turned to the very first page. It even said ‘please’.

After moments of consideration, I had decided to make it my diary. I pondered over the fact that it was strange how it changed so abruptly but it did indeed fascinate me. Something to be scared of? I don’t know…

My pen was barely touching the page, I wasn’t certain if I should write in it. However, I was thinking of writing my thoughts in it. It felt silly but, writing about what I wanted helped clear my mind. I was lonely in school anyhow, Sora wasn’t here and Olette obviously doesn’t care too much about me.

I dared to go forth with my thought.

“Dear Sora,

Um…well this is my first diary ever so bare with me…

I miss Sora dearly so I will name my diary ‘Sora’. It will feel like I am talking to me even though he’s not really here. He told me that he was going to leave me an email or call the moment he can. So far he hasn’t and I am getting restless. I don’t think it’s quite fair for him to make me wait. School is alright. I don’t like wearing the blue plaid skirt though or the white shirt. I’m so lonely, even though Olette is there. She isn’t want I expected.

Well, until next time.

-Kairi.”

It seemed so silly writing like this, but whatever. The door bell rang twice when I shut the diary closed. I heard the faint sounds of Leon opening the door then closing it a moment later. Food’s probably here. I glanced at the digital clock I had. It was already six o’clock. Yikes, I didn’t even start on my report.

Quickly I selected a few books that I thought would be quite helpful. Hopefully, the pages wouldn’t be empty. And guess what, they weren’t. Thank goodness.

Leon didn’t bother calling me down, he’s probably still mad at me for giving him a hard time about dinner. I waited patiently for him to call me down to eat as I read through the books. My mind was already occupied with the mysterious diary I had in my possession, the pink color was dreamy.

An hour passed by, I was tired, hungry, and I was bored reading for so long. I decided to go down stairs. As I reached the lamp to turn the light off, I let out an involuntary gasp. There was blood dripping from the diary and onto my clean, wood polished desk. My hands certainly weren’t bleeding anymore, so where did that blood come from?

The sight made me sick to my stomach. It was so sickening. The blood was a bright red, a disgustingly bright red. There was a solid trail flowing from the leafy pages of the diary and onto the carpet, creating a puddle of the blood.

“Oh my God!” Horridly I picked up the book and turned to where the blood oozed from. Below the small entry that I scribbled was writing written in blood, which I don’t know how the heck that happened. There were messy words written in red. I squinted my eyes to read it.

“Hello Kairi,

I think that it very interesting that you named this diary Sora. However, I do ask one thing from you. I will be grateful if you do me a favor, please write to me with a different pen. The sharpness is making my heart bleed, literally. I am sorry to have made a mess, but now you know. Your pen made me bleed, now my blood is everywhere.

Oh and, yes, I don’t think that it is fair for Sora not to call you. Just be patient.

I hope you take care of me, Kairi.

So long, for now.

It was all so frightening, I dropped the book to the carpet instantly. My hands were dripping with a fresh coat of blood. I suppressed a scream. Instead I mustered all the courage I had, took a breath, and hastened to the bathroom to grab some paper towels to clean the mess. When I came back, the flow of the blood ceased, thankfully.

Unfortunately, even when I was done wiping the furniture and ruined carpet, the stain of red remained on the floor. Nothing would make it go away, not water, cleaning detergent, nothing. I gave up and took another deep frustrated breath.

I looked up at the diary from where I sat. To my surprise, the diary was clean! Not a single drop of red was present. It was like nothing happened to it.

I rushed to the book, opening it to the first page. The words written below my entry was a solid ruby color, not a single word was even smothered with blood like before. From where the gruesome blood came from, I have no idea. Something told me that this was no ordinary diary. Not. An. Ordinary. Diary.

Carefully, I examined the pen I was going to write with again. It didn’t have a sharp point so I thought it was safe to use. I closed my eyes for a second then opened them again. This was crazy. I must be crazy. I am insane…

Turning to the next page I wrote:

“Hi…uh. What is this? I mean, who are you?”

I had no idea what I was writing or doing. I just wanted answers. Now. But, nothing happened. I glared at the page and my words anxiously. It was so hard being patient. How could such a thing happen? What exactly was this? A bleeding diary?

Suddenly, in readable red words, it answered me back. The words appeared just like that, but they still looked like they were written with blood. I still couldn’t get used to that fact.

“Hello Kairi. I am Marluxia. Sorry for the surprise. I didn’t mean for that to happen.”

I quickly wrote back to him, without hesitation so that he wouldn’t go away if that was even possible. Before I knew it, we were having a conversation like we were best friends forever.

“Marluxia….I like your name. Oh and don’t worry about the mess. But what are you? I’m still very confused.”

“I am an empty soul trapped in a book of misery. I get lonely myself too, I can feel your pain. Being lonely is a terrible thing. It would be ever so lovely to have a friend.”

His words made my heart sink into my chest. The first sentence made me wince, such sad poetic words that held a sad truth.

“How are you stuck? Like, how did you end up getting trapped in this book?”

“It’s very complicated actually.”

Complicated. I could relate to that.

“Oh I see, Marluxia. I was wondering if I could help you in anyway possible.”

He didn’t write for a while, I thought I offended him maybe. Whatever the case, I continued to wait patiently. It was then that I realized that it was raining fast and hard, raining waterfalls. A sudden thunder explosion made my heart jump.

“You want to help me? How so very generous of you. Are you sure?”

Of course I’m sure. This couldn’t get any more bizarre than it already was now. Besides, the whole thing seemed depressing in a way.

“Yes, just tell me.”

“Give me a drop of your blood.”

What? Excuse me? What? Did I not read this right? He needs a drop of my blood. For what?

Pushing my questions aside, I unwrapped my one of my bandages from my left hand and allowed for a drop to trickle down my palm and splashing onto the page below. At first, nothing happened. But then, the droplet dissolved into the page, disappearing completely without leaving any sign that it was once there, just like how the blood on it before disappeared - it dissolved within the pages. Then, a brilliant white light streamed through the pages, blinding me almost. I shut my eyes for a brief moment and when the light died slowly, I opened them again. The conversation that I was having with this Marluxia person was gone. The light of my lamp flickered again rapidly.

“Thank you.” An unfamiliar voiced said behind me.

I whirled around in my chair to meet a tall man in gloomy dark robes, pinkish colored layered hair, and a pale complexion smiling down at me. I froze completely. This was not what I expected. First the book changing thing, the blood, the conversation, now this.

His face a pretty looking, fairly gorgeous. I couldn’t help myself but to keep staring. His eyes looked playful, he looked rather innocent. He gracefully moved towards me as I sat in awe. Instinct told me to shout for Leon, but I didn’t have the guts to do so.

My lower lip quivered slightly as an unexpected chill filled the room. Each step closer he took made me nervous. His graceful movements made me fidget a bit.

He bent down to meet my gaze. “Marluxia,” he greeted pleasantly holding his hand out for me. I shook it with fear, but managed not to look too fretful. When he spoke, his cool, cold breath brushed against my cheeks.

“K-Kairi,” I stuttered pathetically, staring into his gaze. He let out a small chuckle and glared at the diary for a long time. I was too nervous to break the silence between us, so I just watched him. He walked passed me to the diary and flipped through the pages with a frown on his face.

“It’s been…a fairly long time since I have been free,” he began. “Ninety years of imprisonment.”

My mouth hung in midair for a brief moment before I could regain myself. He certainly didn’t look like ninety years old. He was so young and beautiful, I felt like touching his perfect face. He turned to me then, smiling once more. The heart leapt out of my chest for a moment.

Mustering my leftover courage, I managed to speak. “I-Is that yours?” I pointed at the diary that he still held in his hands so delicately.

“Yes, in fact it is. But I believe that it is yours now,” he answered me politely and sat at the edge of my bed like Leon had done earlier. I didn’t mind if he sat there though, unlike my brother…

“I don’t understand,” I said without stuttering this time like a weirdo. “How did you get from this book out…here?” I didn’t want to sound rude, but this was insane.

He took a breath, his eyes glistened at me for a moment, then answered my question. “It may seem awkward no doubt. You see, there was a dreadful witch named Maleficent--”

I interrupted him at that point, something made me gap. “What? Maleficent? You mean that witch from the tale of Sleeping Beauty?”

“Yes, yes! That’s the one! She imprisoned me here in that diary. Whenever someone writes in it, I…write back to them. I get very lonely.”

“You mean to say that a make believe witch lady did this to you?” This made no sense at all…I pushed this aside and continued to listen to his story, but I couldn’t help but ask another question or two.

“Why did your diary, or book, change from one book to another?” I wanted an answer to this one. Now.

“I wanted to get out so badly. I wanted someone to take me off that dusty shelf. When I heard you talking to your friend about some book you wanted about witches, I turned into a bright color for you to notice me and gave myself a title of the subject.” His eyes were still innocent, sparkling looking.

“But how did you get in my school’s library in the first place?” This I didn’t understand at all.

“That my dear, I do not know myself.” Gracefully, he crossed his arms across his chest and waited patiently for me to ask the remaining of my questions, I think I made the impression of being too talkative.

“Oh,” I sighed not knowing quite what to think. “So, what exactly are you?” He looked human, but I couldn’t be sure completely.

“I am a Nobody,” he stated with pity in his voice. “I have no heart, no feelings. All I ever wanted was to be whole like everyone else in this small world. And, I am a grim reaper.”

There was nothing I could say to that, how could someone have no heart, no feelings at all whatsoever? On top of that he was a grim reaper! I didn’t believe this completely. “But, I am sure that you feel some emotions, right?”

He sighed once more, “No, my dear. I don’t have any feelings or emotions. Becoming whole is a desire, a want, a must. I do get lonely though, that’s undeniable.”

I walked over to him now, sitting close to him on my bed losing all the fear I once had. I wasn’t so intimidated by him anymore. I wanted to know more about him actually. A sudden aroma came to me, the same once that came from the diary. It was the scent of roses, so pleasant.

“I feel so sorry for you, Marluxia.” I placed a hand in his, holding it. But, a cold wave shot through my hands the moment I touched them. He chuckled softly, looking at my worried face.

“Now I am here with you.” Slowly he released his grip from mine and sighed again, happily this time. “You named the diary Sora?”

How stupid of me. I shouldn’t have written any of that. “Yeah, I did. He’s my best friend and I miss him a lot.”

“Where is he now?” He asked, changing he subject now.

“He’s back in Destiny Islands. My brother, Aunt, and I moved here since they felt that Destiny Islands wasn’t safe anymore to live in.” I looked away from his hearty eyes when I said this. I didn’t really like talking about this too much, it made me sad. Marluxia said nothing, so I continued. “He was supposed to call me, and he hasn’t yet…”

“I’m sure he will,” he reassured, laying a comforting hand on my back.

“I hope so.”

“You wrote that you felt lonely as well,” he said, referring to what I had written on the first page of the diary, “at school.”

I nodded quietly, not saying a word. I felt a sudden connection here, he was lonely and so was I.

“I will go to school with you tomorrow,” he replied, looking down at me with sheer amusement.

My face brightened up, “You will?! But, how?” It would be great to have him come with me.

Suddenly, the door of my room opened, Leon unlocked it no doubt. He gazed at my shocked face. I glanced from Marluxia to Leon, not knowing what to say to explain myself.

Marluxia continued to smile at me, “You’re the only one who can see me.” I let out a sigh of relief.

I diverted my attention back to Leon. “What?”

“Nothing.” He said lamely.

“So what you want?” I scowled at him for interrupting me.

“I wanted to tell you that you can come down to eat now,” saying that he left my room. He’s such an idiot, bothering me all the time out of no where randomly as he pleases.

“So, since I am the only one who can see you, everything’s fine?” I was talking to Marluxia about him coming to school with me, just for company. If no one could see him, that would be great because obviously, he doesn’t belong there.

“That’s correct.”

“That’s great!” I exclaimed, jumping up in front of him. “I can show you how I spend my days at school everyday.” If I had a friend, one whose loyal enough, that would change everything! I was too happy now.

My stomach growled loudly, I felt my face flush with embarrassment. “Come on, let’s go eat something.” I grabbed his cold hand and dragged him behind me down the stairs to where Leon was. He sat on the couch watching TV with his girlfriend, Rinoa. I let my hands drop to my sides with Marluxia close behind, his hand still clasped with mine. I edged to the table and took a seat, waiting for Marluxia to do the same.

I grabbed two plates and poured whatever Chinese food on it and gave one to Marluxia and setting the other in front of me. I was so hungry, I started eating my food already not noticing Marluxia not touching his plate. I looked up at him with confusion and gave him a puzzled look.

“You’re not eating?” I asked. Leon turned his head towards me and looked at me funny.

“I already ate.” He said casually to me, thinking I was talking to him. I wanted to slap my face. I should have known better than to talk out loud.

I whispered lowly this time to Marluxia and repeated my question. “You’re not eating, why?” I broke his gaze at his food and he turned to answer me.

“Grim reapers don’t need to eat.” He said in his normal voice, apparently I was the only one who could hear or see him so he had nothing to worry about.

“Oh.”

I could hear Rinoa’s faint laughter in the background as Leon talked to her. Then I turned my attention to my companion. When I finished, I cleaned my plate and headed back upstairs with Marluxia. I couldn’t help to say to him, “Did you know you smell like roses?” I turned around to face him but he wasn’t there. Strange, he was just behind me. I quietly descended the stairs again and peered into the kitchen and living room where Leon and Rinoa were, but he wasn’t there. I rushed to my room and saw him lying down on my bed again.

“Yes, I am aware of that like roses, the smell of death,” he answered me calmly when I pushed the door open to my room. “I’ve lived in my rose garden long enough to obtain its sweet aroma.”

“How did you get from behind me in my room without you passing me?” I closed the door and locked it, then faced him waiting for his answer.

“I can move quickly, my dear.” Marluxia threw me a cool snicker, “I can teleport to places that I have been to.”

“Oh…” Lucky, I wish I could do that. This guy could teleport, how awesome it that?

After changing my clothes and getting ready to sleep, I ushered him off of my bed. “You can sleep in my Aunt’s room if you’d like to, she’s not home yet.” I pulled the covers closer to my face to get more comfortable.

He shook his head and opened the diary to a random page in the middle. He turned the lamp on my desk off, making the room dark. “I do not sleep my dear. Get some rest, I will see you in the morning.” Saying that, he vanished in the diary, back from where he came from.

“Wait,” I cried, jerking my body upright. But it was too late, he was already gone, vanished into the diary. I sighed and crashed my head back to my pillow. The rain ceased now, an occasional thunder sounded in the distant. A shrill lightning strike struck, a flash of white light illuminated the room for a second, then the room returned to darkness. The room smelled strongly of the deathly roses, the scent began to etch itself in my mind.

-End Chapter 1-

Did you like it?! I really do hope so!! Please tell me what you think so far, it would help a lot. Oh, and so sorry this is ridiculously (sp?) longggg.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

-Sora788

Last edited:

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
A/N: Hello everyone! I would like to thank all of those who took the time to review for my story. It does mean a lot to me, and I appreciate it very much. Thank you!! I would like for more people to tell me what they think because it is just so very encouraging! It truly is.

Well, as you read this, I would like for you to notice to tone and mood of the chapter. Also, please notice the actions and behavior from Olette, Namine, Kairi, Riku, and Marluxia. I will talk a little bit more about them in the end. Thanks!!
Warning: This is a very long chapter, longer than the last one. It is 11,000 + words.

Kairi’s Diary​

Chapter 2: Just Another Day

The sun’s brilliant rays shone through the creamy pearl curtains of my window and gently hit my sealed eyes. I stifled a yawn as I stretched my arms, getting myself out of bed. Now a days, getting up for school didn’t matter too much anymore to me, not when Sora wasn’t attending the same school like we used to before in Destiny Islands. Reluctantly and most definitely unwillingly, I dragged my sorry ass to the bathroom after seeing that I overslept and had only twenty minutes to get to school.

When I turned the locked doorknob to the bathroom, I noticed a mist of hot, airy steam floating from underneath the door. Ugh! “Leon! Get out of the shower! You are going to make me late!” I exclaimed as I made a tight fist with my hand and banged on the door with great force.

“Yeah, yeah,” he assured from inside, his voiced combined with the running water of the shower.

I walked back to my room, that’s when I remembered my diary. It sat quietly on my desk top like it did all night while I struggled to sleep. I began to wonder where Marluxia really went when he disappeared back into the diary. What did it look like in there? I couldn’t spend time pondering about that since I didn’t have too much time on my hands to play with.

Slipping out of my grey sleeping shirt, I tossed it aside on my bed and reached for my pink top from my closet.

“Good morning,” greeted a musical voice behind me.

“Ah!” I turned around to see Marluxia standing only a few feet away from me.

“What the hell is your damn problem?” I was almost yelling now, and I usually don’t cuss but I thought it was necessary to express my anger. Seriously. Hurriedly I covered myself with my arms to save any dignity I had left. “You sick pervert!”

He let out a chuckle (the nerve of him!) “Relax darling. I only wanted to--” I cut him off before he could finish his unacceptable excuse.

“Get out! NOW!” My head jerked towards the door, indicating for him to leave. I trailed his every movement as he walked - no glided through - the door like some kind of ghost without uttering another word, but his croaked smile remained hanging on his handsome face.

I dropped my arms the moment he left to quickly get into my pink shirt adorned with zippers and trendy dark blue jeans. When I was done, I folded my pajamas and shirt then put them away neatly in my closet.

When I stamped out of my room, I saw Marluxia leaning against the hallway wall with his crummy grin still attached to his face. I glared at him angrily before I spoke, “What the hell was that?”

My bandaged hands were on my hips now as I tapped my foot. “Perv!” The mad expression on my face did not show any sign of leaving just yet. At that moment, Leon stepped out of the steamy bathroom with a towel in his hand as he dried his drenched dark brown hair. He stood still, wide-eyed as he stared at me. “What are you doing talking to the wall? And who are you calling a perv?”

I faced Leon now, he still looked confused and amused all at the same time. As if there was something funny about watching his younger sister talking to a wall where a Nobody, grim reaper thing which no one else could see but me stood after he got a show of my upper body.

“I wasn’t talking to the wall!” If only he knew who was standing there, then maybe he would understand. But, I don’t expect him to understand anything because I don’t think he‘s capable of understanding.

“So that means you’re talking to yourself?” He raised a questioning brow at me, a smirk made its way to his face.

Sighing, I said, “No, I was just….” I had no explanation for this. And I certainly couldn’t tell him about Marluxia.

He walked away downstairs laughing. Fine, whatever. Laugh all you want.

Diverting my attention to Marluxia, I murmured in a low tone, “Answer me!”

“Sorry, I just happened to be there when you came in. Don’t worry, it won’t happen again.” He flashed a smile at me, as if that would change anything. Yeah, he just “happened to be there.”

Still mad and upset, I went back in my room, closing the door behind me. I shoved the diary along with some of my other school books and hoisted my tan bag over my shoulder like I held Riku’s bag yesterday instead of holding it the way I usually do even though the dwelling pain in my hands ceased. I sighed sadly. My school bag reminded me so much of going to school with Sora at Destiny Islands since this was the same bag I used. I’ve been in Twilight Town for more than a few months now, am I’m still not used to it‘s industrialized ways of life yet.

Getting out of my room once more, I grunted to Marluxia, “Let’s just go now.” After brushing my teeth and evidently skipping the shower, since Leon used all the hot water and I didn’t want to give Marluxia a chance to get a full view of me (locking the door wouldn’t be enough since he could past through walls as he pleased, including the bathroom).

Rushing downstairs, I zipped by Leon who was tying his shoes to go to work at the Market Plaza, and ran out the house thinking how lucky he was because he already graduated and didn’t have to go through what I had to face almost everyday.

My bag gently hit against my back as I speed walked down the gravel pavement, worrying about not being late. All this diary and Marluxia business kept me from sleeping right. Now I was paying the price. I had to skip breakfast to make up some time to get to school, my stomach growled a bit but I ignored the irritating hunger pangs.

“That frown does not suit your lovely face, Kairi.” Marluxia was by my side, I totally forgot he was even following me as we strolled down the pathway through the quiet neighborhood. I forgot that he was going to accompany me to school today.

I turned my face a little to him, “I guess…” With fast movement, Marluxia grasped my arm and moved me to his side, barely helping me avoid the deep, long puddle of murky water.

“Don’t want you getting wet now,” saying that, he released his firm grip on my arm as we continued on our way. That was close, I could’ve gotten wet if he didn’t move me. But, it was him who had distracted me from looking at where I was going.

That’s when I realized the warm moisture lingering in the air and the intense wetness in my surroundings. The tops of all the homes, trees, and plants were soaked and dripped water as a result from last night’s lengthy thunder storm. This reminded me of one of the questions that pondered in my mind to ask. The streets were darkened by the water. The grass as well as the dirt, turned to mud due to the excess water. On top of all that, the welcoming sun hide behind a wall of gloomy, semi white clouds allowing for the environment to become gloomy and cloudy.

“Marluxia--” This time, he cut me off before I could even finish my inquiry.

“Kairi, anyone passing by may hear my name because you are talking too loud. Please do be careful when speaking to me.” His young face beamed at me as he cautioned me to be vigilant.

Of course, he was absolutely right. I was talking loud enough for anyone seeing me to hear everything I was saying. Apparently, Marluxia wanted his name and existence to be kept a secret. I felt my face flush when I remembered how Leon thought I was talking to myself. From now on, I have to whisper and talk quietly. I have to be careful.

“Sorry,” I apologized in a whisper. “Right, so I was wondering if the sudden weather change had anything to do with you.” I did my best to keep an eye ahead of me, to avoid any enormous puddles or obnoxious skateboarders like Riku, and to pay attention to Marluxia at the same time.

He didn’t answer me right away, but finally after some deep thought, he answered, “Yes…perhaps.”

I noticed him turn his face away from me along with some of his cheeriness fading away. From the looks of it, it seemed that he didn’t want to talk about the weather. Geez, and you may have thought that casually discussing weather with some Nobody type of thing wouldn’t get so bothered by it. It almost doesn’t make any sense. No, in fact, it made no sense at all.

An invisible grim reaper agreeing to accompanying me to school, after popping out of an unusual bloody diary, was still hard for my bemused mind to grasp. Regardless, it was nice to have him come along.

“I still have some questions to ask if you don’t mind.” I saw the school building appear closer as we walked so I thought maybe I could get a few answers for my questions. I didn’t know when I could talk to him until we were alone.

“I suggest that you ask me later at a better time.” His alert, sparkling eyes glanced around us.

We were beginning to walk into small crowds of students, some talked and laughed, all happy in their places. I sighed, it was obvious and smart not to ask Marluxia any questions when there were people around us.

Alright, I understand. No big deal. I can wait a little longer.

Holding my head high, I made my way through the different crowds. The farther I went, the larger the crowds got. Marluxia, who was still lingering beside me, phased through people who was in his way while I had to make my way through. How he passed through objects, especially people, still amazed me. He observed everyone with a keen eye, fascinated by each and every one of them. His mouth curled to a serious line as his eyes seemed focused and determined.

My eyes darted from one niche to another. There were the Goths, seven who leaned silently against an aging tree trunk in the shade wearing the most saddest, depressed frowns I have ever seen. Their identical dress attire of dark, black, and colorless clothing definitely didn’t add on to their cheeriness. All of their blank, hollow eyes stared ahead of them, with their pale hands stuffed into their jean pockets. A few of them had long bangs in front of their eyes, covering a majority of their faces. They even had a set of lip piercing, eye brow piercing, nose piercing, and an array of at least six earrings on each ear. I wondered if any of them have other friends or any happiness in their lives as I looked away from the creepiness.

Next, I noticed the skateboard clan. They were more upbeat looking in their casual earthy toned colored pants and graphic tees. Their expensive, brand name skateboards were held in place by their converse shoes. I noticed Riku first out of the group because of his tremendous height. Indeed, he was the tallest of them all. His open white vest like top and baggy jeans that hung below his waistline, revealing the top part of his dark boxers caught my attention. Gross. He waved when he saw me looking in his direction. As if I am going to acknowledge that. I simply ignored and turned away from him too.

On my left were the nerds and chess club. Their matching polo shirts were tucked in their pants that stopped a great deal above their ankles. Whenever they sat down, their pants would go up to their knees. Some wore Harry Potter-like glasses (the kinds that were black and round), actually some of them were hardcore Harry Potter fans, but not the normal kinds. They would have secret meetings in the basements of their homes discussing who knows what about Harry Potter while they pretended to be wizards and held wands and wore cloaks. I know, because one of them named Eric invited me to attend one of these mysterious meetings. Of course I refused because it was all too weird for me. It was sad to see that even the most unpopular kids had a place to be in, and here I was being a stick in the sand…or is it mud?

The joyful, overly preppy cheerleaders dressed in their matching red and white skirts and tops zoomed past me as they waved their pom-poms in the air to make their way to the jocks.

“Why are they dressed like that?” Marluxia asked, breaking my gaze.

“Prep rally.” They were always this happy whenever there was a prep rally at our school. That was their chance to show off their dance routines and whatever. He was silent was once more and continued to look around him.

Seifer’s gang stood close to the school’s gate entrance, picking on anyone -except for teachers and administrators - who passed through to get into the school’s courtyard. As I got closer, I noticed Seifer eying me closely.

“Hey, Kairi!” He exclaimed loudly for me to hear. I didn’t look at him, instead my attention was diverted to the different possible groups I could be a part of.

He snickered, his mean eyes bounced with playfulness. He and his crew, Fuu and Rai, blocked the gate so that I couldn’t get through. Both of his muscular arms were stretched horizontally, making sure that I couldn’t get by. Wow how lame. About ninety percent of this school’s population is terrified from Seifer and Company, but not me. He’s just a good for nothing jerk who really has nothing better to do with his life other than to harass the weak.

“Get out of my way,” I ordered sternly. My eyes showed no signs of fear, heck, there was nothing to fear from. Regardless, he did not move an inch.

“Why didn’t you answer me when I was calling you?” He relaxed his arms down a bit.

“Because I don’t have to.” My lips curved into a thin line as my eyes narrowed.

“Word,” Fuu muttered under her breath. It was strange how she only spoke one to two words at a time, no more, no less. And that one word help so much meaning.

“No one disrespects Seifer, y’know?” Rai told me, with his big arms dangling by his sides.

“I don’t give a damn. Now, get out of my way!” This was stupid. I wasn’t late for class because I was at least five minutes early before the bell, but I didn’t want to stand here all day.

Seifer balled his hands into rigid fists, anger boiled in his blood. He charged at me so quickly that I didn’t even know what hit me, he locked onto my arms behind me, then thrust me against the iron gate. My face pushed against the bitter cold bars, suddenly releasing a chill on my left cheek.

“I’m going to give you five seconds to let go of me,” I hissed. My bag was on the floor now, with the diary sticking out just a hair. I wasn’t worried about anyone touching it because it wasn’t that noticeable, but what I did mind was that Seifer had just attacked me and now my face was against an iron gate.

“Or what?” Seifer tightened his grip around my wrists. It felt like the bones in my arms were clashing together, corrupting the flow of the blood circulation as well.

“One…”

His grip didn’t loosen. He was really asking for it.

“…three…five!” I deliberately skipped the numbers two and four because that’s how I counted at times like these. It usually throws off the person attacking me, which is what worked now. Seifer was caught off guard at my sudden count at five, I jerked my right wrist out of his grasp easily, since the thumb wrapped around the majority of my wrist was the weakest of all the fingers. Then I swung my free hand around to his arm that held onto my other wrist. Hitting with the palm of my hand against the elbow of his left arm, I managed to swing him to the ground with a loud thud!

He landed face first as his entire body slid on the muddy earth. I stepped on his back then the top of his head to get through over to my bag. Of course I could have walked around him, but stomping on him was a lot more fun.

Some of the loud, rowdy chit-chatter died as people turned to see Seifer defeated, lying on the floor. Many suppressed a chuckle or two, but a lot laughed. I laughed with them too. It was the first time ever that anyone, especially a girl, brought him down. Slowly and gradually, he raised himself with the help of Fuu and Rai. Both of his companions exchanged confused, embarrassed looks at each other as Seifer brushed some of the mud from his face. The laughter increased all around, this was just too good.

I looked for Marluxia in the mass of people who gathered closer around (except for the Goths who continued to stand and stare), who was grinning along with others as he stood behind Riku. Riku stood not very far from the scene as well, evidently he saw what Seifer was doing to me and rushed to help, but he wasn’t fast enough. Besides, I don’t need his help. His eyes were black instead of blue-green as he looked at Seifer and his gang walk away from me with everyone still pointing at him.

When Marluxia meet my gaze, I motioned for him to come to me with a finger. Riku noticed as he turned from Seifer to me, smiling still. I in return did not smile, but made my way through the gate and into the school’s overly crowded courtyard.

“Wow, that was something!” Marluxia exclaimed to me as he assumed his position next to me.

“Why didn’t you help me?” I asked in a hushed tone, but still looking forward. Not that I needed his help, but it would have been convenient.

“If I did, someone might notice that a certain invisible Nobody helped you. I don’t want to arouse suspicion.”

“Yeah, OK.” Whatever.

I heard the rolling of wheels come to me from behind.

Grrr. Riku. Who else could it be?

“I didn’t know you knew how to fight!” Riku exclaimed happily. I tossed him a quick glance and saw that he was on his skateboard - of course - passing in and out of Marluxia’s illusion body unknowingly. Marluxia didn’t seem to mind, but he edged closer to my side.

“I don’t,” I answered back, not too delighted with his presence.

“Yeah?” He pointed back at the gateway with a great deal of laughter in his tone, “Then what was that?”

“Nothing. I was just lucky is all.” I quickened my pace to lose him, but his skateboard quickened too. He meet my new pace again, keeping close by me. It was true, I really did not know how to fight. I just knew a few moves, but that’s about it.

“Well, that was too awesome!”

I hopped onto the steps and hastened my way to the main entrance. I didn’t need to turn back to know that Riku was tailing me, holding his skateboard in his hands. He reached the front entrance first to hold the door open for me.

I passed through muttering a hasty ’thank you’ and he continued to follow. This was getting annoying now. I whirled around to him to ask him kindly to leave me alone, but he spoke first before I had a chance to open my mouth.

“So, I’ll see you around?” His perfect white teeth gleamed in the lights from the ceiling of the school as we rounded a corner past the main office.

“Um…yeah, sure.” I stopped in front of my locker: A156

His eyes were still dark and piercing black when he departed, but I didn’t inquire about that, about how his eye color changes so rapidly and randomly. I sighed annoyingly, forgetting about Seifer and Riku, it just made me have an unnecessary headache.

I focused on my locker which was an ugly shade of green, but there was nothing I could do about it, so why complain? Marluxia leaned against the lockers beside mine and followed Riku’s steps with an unsure stare.

“Stupid locker!” The dial to my locker refused to open even though I knew the combination cold. Sometimes, the dumb thing wouldn’t open for me. This would be one of those times. I kicked it once or twice, then it opened. I got my favorite reading book called, Looking in the Mirror, from the top shelf and shoved it in my bag.

“This isn’t bad of a school as I thought it would be,” Marluxia commented as we walked up the stairs and towards my first period class when the late bell rang.

“Yeah right.” We turned another corner as we reached the top floor, but then I quickly hid behind the wall from where we were coming from when I saw a certain someone coming our way.

Marluxia remained standing in the middle of the hallway in between the mob of students, he looked at me with puzzled eyes. I slid myself quietly down the wall, making sure that my auburn hair or my clothes didn’t stick out from the sides. I pressed a trembling finger against my quivering lips and shook my rigid head as Marluxia raised a brow in bewilderment. I could hear my tense breathing out of the rest of the raucous in the hallways. The laughter and talking of others faded out of my head within moments, I could hear nothing but the sound of the footsteps of that one person I was hiding from. I fought back tears that tried to break through the barrier that shield my eyes from shedding any tears of regret.

I could hear him, coming closer and closer with each step he took. I wanted to hide in the dark, vanish, disappear, whatever. I didn’t want to be here. I pressed my body against the wall harder as Marluxia looked ahead to meet his eyes. Then, I saw him walk right through Marluxia. As he did so, Marluxia’s transparent-like body corrupted for a split second but regained form as he past through completely.

Out of the sea of students, his was the only one I saw. Everyone else was a thick, colorful blur. It was all happening in slow motion, I could see every movement, every gesture. His hair swayed to the side as he flicked a sliver of hair from his crystal eyes with a hand. His white teeth peaked from his wide smile as he interlocked arms with that girl, Naminé, who rushed towards him. Her thin arms thrust through his body as they intertwined in a friendly hug while they walked down the hall together.

He didn’t seem to notice that he had just walking though a grim reaper’s body, one who couldn’t be seen. And his unconcerned eyes didn’t detect my existence, he didn’t see me. It all happened so fast, I took a deep breath when he was out of sight with her. I peeled myself from the wall and walked in the opposite direction. My mind and senses became aware of the noise in the hallways again as I took deep breaths to prevent unwanted tears.

“Kairi?” Marluxia placed a comforting hand on my shoulder as I almost ran to class. “What’s wrong? Who was that?”

I ignored his questions and maintained a perpetual gaze at the white, tile-like floor. On my way, Riku bumped into me slightly. I didn’t bother saying anything to him about it since I was the one not looking where I was going. I felt him stare at me as I continued to walk on.

Pushing my bag against my back, I trudged through my first period class, Geometry.

I took my usual place in the back, away from everyone else. My attention was glued to the windows instead of what the teacher was saying. Marluxia sat in the teacher’s comfortable wheel chair as she lectured the class about how to find perimeter and area of triangles. She, along with the rest of the class, couldn’t see him so it was perfectly fine for him to sit wherever he pleased.

My eyes darted from building to building as I peered out the closest window near me. The mind was malfunctioning, I couldn’t concentrate on anything. My heart beat staggered, it was beginning to freeze to a stop, as if a coat of ice embraced onto it. I felt a chill as Marluxia moved from the teacher’s chair to the empty one next to me.

“You have a far away look in your eyes,” he sounded worried as he tried to break through my shell.

“So what?” I answered back loudly, forgetting to talk in a quiet voice. Ms. Smith shot a hot frown at me.

“Excuse me?” She looked angry, her lips changed into a nasty grimace. Great, she must have thought that I was talking about her lecture. Shoot.

“Sorry, I wasn’t talking to you,” I answered weakly.

“Oh? So who were you talking to?” She looked at the empty seat beside me, then marched over to me. “Are you talking on a cell phone, Kairi?”

She looked at my empty hands and did a full inspection of me, still believing that I was talking to someone on a phone which I wasn’t doing. Her grey, suspicious eyes narrowed to thin, fine lines.

For the rest of class, I received many glances from Ms. Smith and the other students, all who were still curious about my sudden, random outburst. I had to pretend to pay attention to what was happening in the class, but it was completely out of my desire. Marluxia sat still, he didn’t ask or say anything to me, afraid that I would make another outburst and cause more trouble.

The bell rang and I was out of that door in a second.

--xxx--

The rest of my classes passed by in the similar fashion until lunch time. I zoned out and did my best to stop myself from reliving my miserable undoable past. The only class that I had with Riku was Art. He sat by me, but not at the same table. That was good because I would have ignored him the whole time if he talked to me anyhow. I did catch him glancing at me more than needed though. As if my mind wasn’t troubled enough. Marluxia stayed a great distance away from him though.

It’s strange how one small thing can affect your whole day. I knew I had to get over this regretful, remorseful feeling from my system.

I took a seat at an empty table in the cafeteria by the Goths, who in return just stared at each other with their vacant eyes. As I patiently waited for Olette to appear, Marluxia beamed at me, trying to get me in a better state of mind as I took a bite into my red apple. I was so hungry and I didn’t even have munny to buy anything decent with.

“What’s wrong?” His eyes bore deeply into mine as he took a seat across from me. “I never saw you act like this before..”

Ha, funny. He’s known me for less than twenty-four hours and he thinks he’s seen all of me. I peered in my partially opened bag at my diary. Oh yeah, my questions. Pushing my worries and sorrows aside, I redirected my attention to him.

“Forget what happened. It doesn’t matter anymore.” It’s true, it doesn’t matter. I cannot change the past, no one could. I had to grit my teeth and move on with life as it passed by, trying to hold on to anything I could.

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I am sure. We can talk about it later.” I leaned my face forwards to him and in an inaudible tone I asked, “Why did the diary bleed when I wrote in it?” This still puzzled me greatly, and I suddenly remembered the scarlet colored blood stain on my carpet.

“You wrote on my soul, that’s why.” He folded his arms together and waited patiently for my next question.

“What do you mean by ‘your soul’?” This I still did not seem to comprehend. It wasn’t quite clicking in my mind.

“My soul rests within that diary. So, when you wrote in it, it made me bleed because you wrote on my skin.” He began to unzip his long black cloak to divulge his chest. I didn’t mean to stare for too long, but his skin was so smooth and delicate looking. I let out a small gasp when I saw the words that I wrote in the diary on its first page engraved on his chest where his heart was.

Did I do that? The words I had wrote in my crud handwriting were dried blood now. It was such a disturbing sight, I asked him to button his cloak because I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“Marluxia, I’m so sorry!” I reached out for his hand, it sent vibes of those familiar cold shiver through my body, but that didn’t matter. “I had no idea!”

His warm, comforting smile melted my heart even more. “No, it’s not your fault. Please don’t feel that.” His fingers wrapped more tightly with mine. From someone in the crowd, he or she may think that I am holding onto air because that’s what it looked like since Marluxia held my hand a little in midair as we talked.

“So, I can’t use the diary anymore?” I didn’t want to hurt him more than I the damage I had already done to him.

“Yes, you can. Trust me. It doesn’t hurt,” he reassured confidently. It was hard to believe. “When I am not in the diary, I don’t bleed. But, when I am, I might. Don’t worry about that because I don’t think it’ll happen again.”

“Alright, if you say so.” I looked around for any signs of people looking at me. I didn’t have to worry about the Goths because they didn’t look at anything, but my gaze met Riku. He noticed me glaring at him, then he turned away to his friends at the table he sat away from me. After he did so, I asked, “I was just wondering, why did you need a drop of my blood?”

He sighed in the warm air of the cafeteria. “Kairi, I needed to have a connection with a soul in order to come out in the real world because my current body isn’t capable. With your blood in me, I can be here because now, I am a part of you.”

Oh wow. So basically, without me, he couldn’t set foot in the real world. And without the diary or me as the ‘connection’, he wouldn’t be able to stay here either.

“Why?” I was curious to know more. This was all too interesting.

“Why what?” He drew his hands away from mine after noticing how cold my hands had become after he held them for so long.

“How come you need a connection?” This was intriguing.

“It is because I am not a whole person. I have no heart, like kind that feels emotions, not to be confused with the one that pumps blood through your body.” He laughed a little at this, then said, “I am a Nobody and a grim reaper. I need a soul, that is the connection I need to be here instead of that wretched diary.”

I was about to ask another question, but Olette stopped me otherwise. She embraced me in a quick hug and exclaimed gleefully, “Kairi! I was looking for you!” She took a seat beside me.

“Why are you sitting like that?” She gave me a funny look as she observed me. I had been leaning forward to Marluxia with my hands in front of me. It did look funny to her, even me maybe. “And were you talking to someone? I saw your lips move.”

“Oh, um…no, I wasn’t talking to anyone. I was only…looking at something. That’s all.” She seemed to buy it and continued her rattling about whatever it was. I tried to concentrate on her, but I found it rather difficult.

“Wow, look at that boy over there!” She pointed a finger at a senior walking past us with a few of his friends. “Oooh, and that one!” Again, she pointed to another guy with thick black hair.

I sighed. This is was Olette was like. She enjoyed goggling over guys and telling me how hot or cute each one was. It was quite shallow actually.

As I looked at the gatherings of people and crowds, I noticed Naminé. Her platinum hair was swayed to her right shoulder and moved in place as she strutted down the tables. She waved eagerly at Olette and was gone out of sight just like that.

I stared with disbelief at Olette, my mouth opened for a moment, but I shut it quick when Olette turned to me. My face became from gloomy, to excited, to upset. All within less than ten minutes.

Surprisingly, Olette noticed. “Are you alright? You look a little…mad?” She placed a hand beneath her chin and waited.

“I…I…” I didn’t know what to tell her. Am I mad? Yeah. Could I tell her why? Um…

“C’mon! Tell me! You can trust me, Kairi.” She edged closer as if I was going to tell a long tale. Oh please.

She seemed a bit unstable to me, meaning, she didn’t seem to trustworthy. I took a different approach though.

“Are you friends with Naminé?” I bit my lip like I always do when I’m nervous or uncertain about something. Sometimes, I would bite down on my lip too hard that it would make me bleed just a little.

“Not really…why?” Her emerald eyes gleamed brightly.

I sighed in relief. Maybe it would be alright to tell her why I was so tense around Naminé, but it was still too hard for me to trust her. What if she told Naminé that I told her some things about her? Then what? “I’ll tell you later.”

“Aw! C’mon now, why do you have to leave me hanging?” She seemed jittery now after hearing that my mood may have a lot to do with that devilish Drama Queen.

“Later.” I have to see if it’s still worth telling her because lately, I’m just not liking her behavior, even though we were supposedly ‘best’ friends.

We walked together to English class. On our way, who else would you expect to be tailing you but Riku? I saw him following us, but every time I looked back to catch him, he suddenly ‘disappeared‘. But I swear it, when I faced forward again, he was close behind.

Olette and I stepped in our English class just in time as the late bell rang. My seat was a bit off in the upper corner of the classroom as her seat was more near Naminé’s in the far back since that was the only class we all had together. For the past few months since school started, I was the only one Olette talked to. But now, that’s changing slightly because I’ve noticed that she’s been saying hello to her here or there occasionally. That’s not a good sign because I know what Naminé’s trying to do and I won’t let her do it this time again. No, not again.

As the class began, I focused on keeping a close eye on Olette and Naminé since they sat so close together. Naminé looked down writing something as Olette day dreamed about boys I am guessing. So far so good. They weren’t talking, so that’s definitely a good sign. I started to relax a bit. Maybe this wasn’t something to worry about. I’m probably making things worst in my head. What were the chances of Naminé and Olette being friends?

The room was silent, only the scratching sounds of pencils against paper could be heard as the students worked on their essay that was to be turned in after class. The question that we had to answer was, “What do you think Holden Caulfield symbolizes in The Catcher in the Rye?” The book we were currently reading was in fact The Catcher in the Rye, and I knew the book well.

I believe I was the first one done with my essay because when I looked at everyone else, they were still writing. I turned my gaze at Naminé then briefly at Olette. None of them showed signs of friendship. Ok, good.

“Stop looking so tense,” Marluxia suggested as he stood in front of me. I looked up at his face, but said nothing. I learned to keep my mouth shut with Marluxia especially in classrooms. He smiled when he noticed my silent response in comparison to last time, “You learn fast.”

The bell rang and I hastily scurried out of my seat and met up with Olette before Naminé did. I caught Naminé’s harsh glare directed at me and only me as she left the room with attitude. Phew, she was gone for now. But, I didn’t want to put my guard down. After seeing the two say hello, that got me all worked up. I was just not going to let Naminé ruin things more for me again.

Prep rally time…yay…not. I hate prep rallies. I personally believe that they are a waste of time. Olette and I got good seats on the bleachers as more people began to file in the school‘s gymnasium. I spotted Riku sitting close to me with his skateboard clan. It was getting bothersome to see his face everywhere I looked.

Before he knocked me down with his skateboard the previous day, I never really recalled him paying this much attention to me. Or maybe I never noticed. All I did was listen to Olette’s rambling about cute guys and frequent gossip about girls who I never knew.

Marluxia took a seat right next to me. He looked bored beyond his mind. I truly did feel sorry for him, he came here expecting school to be all fun and exciting. But it’s just the opposite of that. I bet he never wants to come here again. Or maybe school is exciting, but I’m not the right person to feel that here.

Olette scowled and pouted as she watched the preppy cheerleaders that I saw before in the morning cartwheel and scream when they entered the room from the side doors. She turned to her other friend, Selphie, who was sort of my friend, but I really wasn’t sure. Regardless, they started to talk nasty things about the lead cheerleader, Nichole.

“I effin’ hate that bitch!” Olette stated, stomping her feet once.

“I know,” replied another girl who I was not familiar with. “She thinks she’s all that.”

“I heard she cheated on this guy who thought…!” I didn’t hear the rest, but I saw Olette stuck her tongue out at Nichole. Poor Nichole. I don’t know her personally, but I do know that she isn’t good company either.

I sighed, this was just like every other day where Olette would talk bad about some and then rant on about herself. I don’t know why we were even best friends in the first place. When I knew her from grade school, she seemed like a good person. Now, I’m not so sure.

Marluxia eyed Olette and her friends as they talked about girls they hated while the prep rally went on. It was like their never-ending hobby. I began to miss Sora even more. If he were here, then things would be different. He would not back bite about someone and talk endlessly about guys, although I don’t think he would. Hehe.

He would have made my day every day. But things changed after my parents’ death. After they died, my brother and I were sent to live with our Aunt right here in Twilight Town. I just wish things were different, that things were just like they were before.

The thoughts about my life were quickly forgotten at the sight of Naminé making her way up the steps and sitting cozily with him. I hadn’t realized how close they were sitting to us.

Please don’t look here…I am begging you!

Too late, Naminé was already scanning everyone who sat above her and she stopped her search when she rested her evil, cunning eyes on me then on Olette. She whispered something to him, then made her way towards us.

Oh no…

“Olette!” She called in a cheery voice as she waved a hand to attract my new best friend’s attention. Coming over, Olette scooted over to make room, shoving me aside a bit as she did so. Rude much?

Naminé smiled widely at her then started to converse with her. I lingered between the idea of joining in the conversation or just sitting back and saying nothing like I already was doing. I took my chances.

“Yeah, so what are you doing today after school?” Naminé asked Olette as I neared in closer to the two. As much as I hated Naminé, I wanted to at least try to save Olette from being reeled in and caught in her clutches.

“Olette and I are going somewhere,” I cut in sternly, answering for Olette.

Naminé sneered when she saw me. Did she detect my sudden fear in my voice as I spoke? I hope not.

“So I see,” she remarked snobbishly. Then she ignored me completely.

Both of them began to talk with each other about I don’t know what, and every time I talked to Olette about a word or two I picked up from their conversation, she would barely answer me back. She didn’t seem to notice that she completely left me out and for a moment I believed that she forgot about my existence.

I did my best to strain my ears to hear what they were talking about over the tremendous roars from the student body, but it was almost impossible. Besides that, Olette had her back to me. So for most of the time, I stupidly faced her orange tank top. I sighed again.

I gave up ten to fifteen minutes later. It was no use. I couldn’t get into their conversation. But, wait. I still had to try. I couldn’t give up too easily. That’s how Naminé wanted me to feel. I knew she came over here to get Olette away from me and to become her friend. And I hope it’s not working. That’s the last thing I want to happen to me.

I edged more closer to Olette now then I tapped her shoulder to get her attention. Didn’t work, she still faced Naminé. She let out a laugh and starting ranting again. Oh God.

Then, just when I was going to try again, Naminé got up, said bye and went back to sit where she had before.

“What’s up?” I felt a tap on my arm and twirled around to see Riku. Who else could it possibly be? He sat where Marluxia was sitting. Since anyone who touched Marluxia except me went right through him, it looked to me that the two were overlapping, like, Riku was sitting in Marluxia. It was kind of weird. Marluxia made a disturbed face and drifted off somewhere, telling me that he would sit farther away from us. I didn’t mind.

Riku’s eyes were still that deep dark color, but I still didn’t ask him about his eyes magically changing when this was the time to do so since he was beside me.

“Nothing,” I replied looking at the marching band playing an upbeat piece.

“Hmm,” his voice seemed calculating to me. I felt his eyes drilling in me. “Yeah, I suppose you’re right.”

“Why are you sitting here?“ Yeah, whatever, Ok. Can you leave now for goodness sake! Geez. His lips half smiled but he didn’t look like he was offended by the question. I stole a glance at my other side, Olette quietly watched us but her eyes were wide-eyed. I peered secretly at Naminé who also looked at me for a split second then turned away with a disgusted expression.

He shrugged then chuckled. His thumbs fumbled with each other, his black converse shoes tapped in a consistent rhythm against a steel bench in front of him. I waited impatiently as my legs began to get numb after sitting for so long on these bleachers.

He was about to say something more but then the prep rally was over and everyone began to rise from their seats and head out to their lockers or outside because that marked the end of school. I got up with everyone else hurriedly to avoid him, then I looked for Marluxia who looked like he was about to doze off. I motioned for him by mouthing ‘Let’s go’ with my mouth without saying anything. Riku didn’t see me do this because I was walking away from him with Olette. This time, he didn’t trail me to the school’s courtyard.

This day was so long and dreadful. I saw the person I didn’t want to see, then I saw Naminé trying to get closer with Olette. Then, on top of that, I have a new stalker. I sighed as I waited for Olette to catch up with me. She looked more excited than five minutes before.

“I can’t believe it!” She exclaimed as she locked one arm with mine while we had to push our way out through the overly crowded people.

“Can’t believe what?” I asked, trying to sound enthusiastic about her sudden interest and attention towards me.

“Riku talked to you! I can’t believe it! Do you know how hot he is? You’re so lucky that he’s talking with you!” Her voice started to get higher. “Tell me what you guys were talking about! Wait, do you like him?“ Oh Lord. Yap, yap, yap.

“What is it with this Riku? Who is he to drool over?” Something told me that I shouldn’t have asked, but I was beginning to wonder.

“Kairi, don’t tell me you don’t know?! He is the one of the sexiest, popular people in this school!” Her grip began to get tighter. I hope the blood circulation in my arm doesn’t stop.

I wanted to spit on the muddy ground. “I don’t care about that. He’s obnoxious and freaking me out…”

Olette looked at me in great disbelief. “Don’t say that! So many girls are jealous of you!”

Ha, how ridiculous. “What is there to be jealous about?”

Giving me a dramatic sigh, she said, “Because he doesn’t talk to many people but his friends who skateboard all the time!! You should feel honored!”

Oh my God. I don’t feel honored, I don’t care if he’s the hottest person here, and I don’t care if he doesn’t talk to anyone besides his little cult invested with dangerous skateboarders. I want him to leave me alone. And this whole popular crap is getting on my nerves. Who cares whose popular and whose not? Sora and I were just fine being friends, opposed of that mattered. But look here, Olette is obsessing over little things like this.

“He almost killed me,” I remarked sarcastically recalling yesterday when he collided into me in the market place.

“Oh Kairi…you don’t know how much I envy you.” She sighed in the humid air, “He even gave you his bag yesterday and touched your hand…and he looked at you for a long time. I wish he bumped into me.”

Give me a break. We didn’t talk about Riku after I asked Olette so stop rambling on about him because I just didn’t care. We were on the other side of the school’s front gate entrance and were making our way past the tree where the Goths loitered.

One of them, I didn’t know her name, cast me a mysterious glance and nodded over to her gothic friends who acknowledged the gesture by setting their gaze at me too. Her steel chains dangled from her jeans on her legs as she shifted her right leg a few inches back. It was difficult for me to see the tint of brown eyes I managed to take note of from beneath the tangle of black hair that concealed them. I felt her glower at me until we turned the corner and were out of sight.

I faced forward again, away from them.

“Let’s go to our usual hang out place,” I suggested when we were in the Market Plaza.

Olette agreed as so off we were to Twilight’s vast library at where we went so often. It was much bigger than our school’s library, the one that we went to yesterday.

Since the two of us hung out over there almost everyday after school, it became our so called “usual pace“.

The warm, familiar smell of books met my senses when I opened one of the glass doors to the library. That familiar scent of books that I have always remembered all my life. I don’t know how many books I have read in my lifetime, but I read too many to count. The both of us took our usual seat at the table by the fictional book section.

Blissfully, I took a seat at our table and so did Olette. We took out our homework and worked on it. Doing homework wasn’t a problem for me because I always did it on time and got it right. My grades are pretty good, so everyone thinks of me as smart and bright. It was good to know that everyone acknowledged the fact of me being studious. But being smart did have its fall backs, like now for instance.

“Kairi, can you help me with this?” Olette slid her page down to me so that I could get a better look at what it was. It’s not that I don’t like helping Olette out with her homework, it was just that she needed help all the time.

Here we go.

“I suppose.” I pushed my homework aside and got to hers.

“Can you solve this problem and tell me how to do it?” Her eyes pleaded for her.

I sighed. “Alright…” For the past hour or so, I reluctantly occupied myself with Olette’s homework. At times she paid attention to what I was saying and at times her gaze trailed another “hot” guy as he passed by us. Ridiculous. I barely finished my homework, but I managed. I suppose good friends should sacrifice their time to help other friends out, right?

Leaning back in my chair, I pretended to listen intently to Olette while she talked about some guy in one of her classes that she liked. She went on and on and on, and I didn’t have a clue as to what she was saying. It was hard to understand, but I think she said that he likes her too and that he was flirting with her…some crap like that.

Olette brought her chair closer to mine, “Alright, are you going to tell me now?” Her arms were folded together, trying to sustain her eagerness as she did her best to pester me about what I was mad about earlier today. Whenever gossip was about, Olette was all ears. It was like it was the only thing she was good at, listening to gossip. But when I talked to her about anything else, she didn’t seem to care.

Sighing inwardly, I gathered my thoughts. As I did, Marluxia sat across from me to listen too. I knew from the look on his face that he wanted to know what the deal was.

Wait, but before I say anything, is this something that I should do? What if Olette tells Naminé that I talked about her? But, what if she was talking about me? Olette and Naminé do look like they are becoming friends, so maybe this will stop her from doing so? Yes, that’s it! After I tell Olette, she might never want to talk to that dumb blonde again! That’s it, that’s it, that’s it!! With a change of attitude, I sat up and began my tale.

“Alright…but before I tell you, you have to promise me not to tell anyone what I am about to tell you, please.” If I was going to say anything, she better promise to keep her big mouth shut.

“I promise, Kairi!” She leaned in closer, waiting for the story to begin.

“I am putting my trust in you, Olette. Don’t tell anyone. I don’t care who they are, don’t tell anyone. Ok?” I began to try to convince myself that telling Olette would be alright.

“Kairi, I swear!! I promise, I won’t tell anyone.” Her smile softened my tension. Of course, she’s my best friend, I could trust her.

I took a deep breath to clear my mind and ease my body. “Naminé stole a friend from me. Her lies and deceptions made everything worst!! I thought he was my friend, but then it turned out that he had more trust in her than me. He didn’t bother looking at my side of the story!! I hate Naminé! She seemed like a nice person, but she’s really not. She talked trash about me to him and then it all went down from there all because she didn’t want me and him to become friends. How sick it that? He ignored me as if I was no one anymore. After that, he told me that he never wanted to see me again. Olette, it hurt. It hurt really badly. I cried for a few nights straight. Nothing was clear to me. I was so blind and so…deaf!! I couldn’t stop it all before it got worst. Everything I did to try to make it better made everything more bad that it already was. I hate Naminé!! Why did she have to take my friend away? It’s just not fair. It was so painful, I couldn’t stop crying. I never cried like that before. It’s like I have these irremovable scars on my heart. She’s the devil! She deserves to go to hell. What really bothers me was that he didn’t want to listen to what I had to say, her lies and trash lured him to her side…Nothing makes sense to me! I am so tired of these games!”

I felt a peculiar dampness in my eyes, my vision became unclear, blurry. I fought back the tears that once tried to slip through my eyes, but I prevailed. My breathing began to stagger, trying to contain stability. I swallowed hard, trying to get over this humiliation because I didn’t think that this would happen. I thought that all the thousand oceans that I had cried in those isolated nights had left me with no more tears to even cry a river. I was this close from falling off the edge, so close, but for now, it looks like I am hanging on a corner of a mountain waiting to see how long I can stay there.

Slowly, I turned to look at Olette. She didn’t look as jittery when I first started and she even sat still this time. Her emerald eyes seemed sad, woeful for me. She slid a hand across the wooden table to place an understanding hand on mine. “Kairi, are you alright?”

I felt this strange, familiar hot sensation forming around my eyes. I knew my face was turning scarlet red, but I didn’t know what to do. I fought back the menacing tears as I blew my damp nose into a tissue Olette had gotten for me.

I shook my head feebly at her question, no I was not alright. But I was trying to move on. She came by my side and hugged me while I weakly sat in my chair. She told me that whatever it was, it was going to be OK. As much as I wanted to believe that, I couldn’t. I knew from my sudden, random outbursts that the retelling of my past didn’t make any sense. None, at all, whatsoever. I had erupted like a blocked, deserted volcano and left the people beneath me to be confused and burned without knowing what just happened to them.

When I calmed down, I spoke in a broken and cracked voice, “Olette, I didn’t mean to start like that.” It’s true, I didn’t wanted for that to happen, for those troublesome words to flow like running water, having no real start or an ending.

“No, Kairi. You needed to get it out of you. It’s fine. You can tell me the whole thing when you’re ready.” She flashed a warm smile, trying to make the matter light.

I nodded as she dabbed my eyes. Nearby people stared at me, wondering what was wrong with me. Another wave of heat rushed to me, I hated public attention, this kind of public attention. I wanted to hide myself behind one of those large bookshelves, but that was irrational.

Marluxia sat noiselessly, he fastened his eyes at me. I looked square at his serious face, but quickly turned away. It was…intimidating. He didn’t say a word to me, like he had done for the most part today so far.

Olette suggested that we go from the library when we noticed more people staring, and I couldn’t agree more. I wanted to get out from here. A crisp air cooled my blistering face when we strolled through the town in its setting sunset. Olette told me that she had to go home early today and asked if it was alright if I went home by myself.

I didn’t mind at all, in fact I thought that it would be better that way. I could have some time to think for myself and just think things over. On my way home, I passed by the great, grand tower clock that overlooked the entire town. I was hidden underneath its shadow as I walked through it. Marluxia lagged by my side but didn’t say anything. The daylight was fading now, nighttime was approaching quickly.

I entered the busy streets of the Market Plaza down on Market Street. The lit lanterns swung on the string that they were fastened upon the small stores. Its bright colors of red and yellow reflected against my face. The aroma of food and stores made me want to stay here instead of going home so soon. The liveliness was very cheerful and promising.

That’s exactly was I did. I reached the ice cream store where Leon worked at. The tiny bells that hung above the door clashed as I stepped in. It was colder here than outside and full of younger children gathered at tables eating their melting ice creams.

Leon leaned against the spotless counter in his white and blue stripped apron to hand a sugar coated cone topped with chocolate fudge ice cream speckled with to a little girl. The grin on her face was priceless, it almost made me forget my troubles. Leon waved when he saw me. His apron made Leon look softer and kinder compared to his rough and tough look he usually wore. I promised not to laugh at him, but it was hard not to. Why he chose to work here was beyond my understanding.

“Can I have a Sea Salt ice cream please?” I tapped my fingernails against the counter as I read the various flavors of ice cream on the menu behind him. Strawberry and Sea Salt were my favorite flavors out of the rest.

He went over to a freezer to his right behind him and pulled out the ice cream bar. “That will be 50 munny.”

What? I pouted, “Leon I am not in a good mood, why can’t you pay for it?”

Rolling his brown eyes, he said, “Just because I work here doesn’t mean you can get all the free ice cream in the world. Now pay.”

I felt my face with a quivering hand. It wasn’t hot as it was before and since I didn’t shed a tear, my face wasn’t moist. If Leon had seen me crying, I bet he’d give me all the ice cream I wanted.

Grumbling I reached in my pockets for cash. My right pocket was empty and so was my left one. Oh great.

“I don’t have munny with me.” I did my best to plead with my eyes.

“Fine.” He gave me the ice cream bar and paid it for me with his munny or his employee discount. I don’t see the big deal, helping out your sister is a good thing once in a while. Gosh.

“Thanks.” I unwrapped it and took a bit. It’s salty, sweet flavor swam in my dry mouth and slithered down my parched throat. It was so tasty, so relaxing.

“Mm.” His steady face softened at the sight of my small enjoyment.

I took a seat by an empty table by the door where the large glass window was, gleaming at the people shopping and having a good time. The sky-blue ice cream helped me cool down and just take things easy.

My gaze was interrupted by a tiny cool sensation prickling against my hand. I looked down to see a few drops of the ice cream drip down to my fingers as I held the stick. Apparently, I had been looking out too long, neglecting my free frozen treat.

The melting ice cream in my hand made me think: Eat your ice cream before it melts.

--xxx--

Leon worked late that night so I was alone and my Aunt didn’t come back from her round trip yet either. Since she was a psychologist, she traveled around to places. For dinner, I had left over food from yesterday and headed to my room, locking the door behind me.

I took out the pleasant pink diary with the beautiful rose engraved on the cover and laid it in front of me on my desk. I took a black ballpoint pen and opened the small book to the second page. Writing how I felt made me think about things, about who I was, how I truly felt. I seems so cheesy, but Marluxia convinced me otherwise.

“Dear Sora,

The past is truly haunting me. Have you ever wondered why it couldn’t it all just fade out of your life forever? But, how could I forget my past when it’s right in front of me? I almost cried today in the library. How stupid of me. If I did cry though, I know you’d be there to dry my tears away. I am still waiting for your call, Sora… I have so much to tell you!

If you were here, I would have such a better time than I am having now. Trust me. I hope you miss me as much as you do. Of course you do. If my parents didn’t die, we could have been sitting together now. Things are bizarre right now.

Can you believe that I have a stalker now? His eyes change colors too. It’s weird and kind of cool at the same time. But watch out, he’s dangerous with that dumb skateboard that he has with him.

Luv,

Kairi.”

I wanted to write more, a lot more, but I was too tired to. The entire day was stressful and tiring. Marluxia read what I had written over my shoulder and seemed calculating. We hadn’t talked much since we left the library. I knew he sensed that I didn’t want to talk, respecting that, he remained silent. I didn’t have to tell him, he just understood me. It was like he could read my mind without me having to utter a single word.

Crawling in bed, I rested my aching head on the pillow, turned on my side away from Marluxia and pulled the covers a little bit over my chin. The lamp on my desk was still on, I didn’t want to sleep in the dark. It wasn’t comforting because it felt depressing.

Marluxia sat on the edge of my bed, next to me. He leaned in closer to me, whispering in a low, warm voice, “Everything will be alright. You can tell me everything tomorrow because I will be here for you.” Those very words eased some of the torment hindering in me, my exhausted eyes closed. The words he spoke offered reassurance, comfort. Taking his word, I let go of the pain and loneliness I felt, thinking of what he told me.

I felt Marluxia’s cold, soft hand sweep over my sweaty forehand and planted a small, brief kiss on my neglected cheek before going back into the diary. The scent of sweet roses danced in the empty, hollow air above me. His cold touch hung on my right cheek throughout the night as I slept without anxiety.

- End Chapter 2 -

A/N: So how was it? Did you like it? I know there isn't too much "action" going on, but that was sort of the point because as the story progresses, you will notice a change. This chapter was basically a base or feel for what Kairi's days are like, lonely, isolated and neglected. Anyhow, thank you so much for taking the time to read all of this, please don't forget to tell me what you think in your review.

Here are some, but not all, of the things that I would like for you to notice or see (you don't have to read this though):

-Kairi: She talks about how Olette isn't there for her, yet she calls Olette her 'best friend'. Even though Marluxia can't be heard or seen by anyone, she gestures him to be quiet when that "mysterious" person walks down the hall. That reveals her uncertainty and fear. The scene where she can't see anything but him tells you how she is holding onto to her past and cannot focus on anything but it. She's very cautious as she is always looking out for the people she doens't like very much (Riku, Namine.) Kairi is doing Olette's homework, that's crucial as to what will happen in the future. The line where is said that she should eat her ice cream before it melts has a double meaning. Olette told Kairi that everything will be alright when she was upset, but Kairi still felt doubtful opposed to when Marluxia said the same thing to her, she trusted him - but is that wise?

-Riku: He is basically stalking Kairi in a way and yes, his eyes do change colors. If you haven't noticed a pattern yet as to when, then don't worry because I will make it more clear later on.

-Marluxia: He didn't talk too much, really. Instead, he paid close attention to Kairi and the people around as if taking mental notes on her behavior, action, or reaction to the things around her. It was like he was a bystander, watching what was going on (i.e. he didn't help Kairi when Seifer grabbed her, etc).

-Olette: This girl is...crazy. She's always talking about guys (how shallow) and doesn't like to do school work as much, she's always asking Kairi for help. The only time she listened to Kairi was when she was going to talk about someone else. Not a real best friend, now is that??

-Namine: I think that's an easy one. lol.

-The "mysterious" person is not too hard to figure out I hope. But I didn't want to give too much description about him just yet. That is the "he" or "him" that Kairi referred to through the chapter.

-Also, Kairi's diary entry wasn't at all too long. But it will get longer later...or maybe.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

-Sora788

Last edited:

Xuan

FanFic Slayer, K.Theorist
Holy mama, you could've compete with bizness86 if you want to. This is truly an awesome piece of writing.

About 'him', I already know who he is. There's only one person that could've been 'him'. Unless of course, you're turning on the other stove of yours.

Helping Olette is clearly a terrible thing to do. Got a scenario of what will happen all written on my mind already.

Riku... apparently he knew.

Sora... can I say that he's dead? LOL!

Again, I give you a thumbs up for such a good work. Well done!

Wynn

I've read the most of the fic and I must say, the way you use the first person way to tell the story is pretty good. Can't wait for more.

Xuan said:
Holy mama, you could've compete with bizness86 if you want to.

This fic would be compared to bizness86's. Man, bizness got me typing like him.

She turned the book in all angels before she spoke again

Angels? or angles? Not sure if there were more misspellings.

A

Azrael

This fanfic is amazing, you should have Sora have a bigger mention though. It seems that Kairi has hidden feelings for the guy

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
wow when u say long u mean loooooooooooooooooooooooong

awesome so far wanna read some more

hehe, yeah it was pretty long wasn't it? Is the length a bit too long? Should I cut it down a bit? Thanks for the comment, I will have Ch3 ready soon. :)

Holy mama, you could've compete with bizness86 if you want to. This is truly an awesome piece of writing.

About 'him', I already know who he is. There's only one person that could've been 'him'. Unless of course, you're turning on the other stove of yours.

Helping Olette is clearly a terrible thing to do. Got a scenario of what will happen all written on my mind already.

Riku... apparently he knew.

Sora... can I say that he's dead? LOL!

Again, I give you a thumbs up for such a good work. Well done!

Really? I never read any of his/her work. I think the "him" you are thinking of it that person. Lol. I don't want too many surprises...not yet.

Yes, helping Olette was a mistake. And she's going to continue making that mistake.

Lol, Sora is not dead...
He's somewhere there.

Thank you for the comment. I am glad to hear that you like my writing style!!!

I've read the most of the fic and I must say, the way you use the first person way to tell the story is pretty good. Can't wait for more.

This fic would be compared to bizness86's. Man, bizness got me typing like him.

Angels? or angles? Not sure if there were more misspellings.

Thank you for pointing that mistake out, I fixed it just now :) I'm really happy to see that you like it so far. I hope it's not boring...that's the last thing I want for people to think.

This fanfic is amazing, you should have Sora have a bigger mention though. It seems that Kairi has hidden feelings for the guy

Sora will come up later on in the story. Yes, she does have hidden feelings for him, but Sora isn't really aware of it yet. Well, sorta. Thank you for the nice comments!!!

--xx---

Well, I hope this isn't too long because if it is, maybe I can cut it down?! And I hope it's not boring or too monologue like...

A

Azrael

We want more!!! I want more!! Your writing style is amazing! Please create some tension btw Kairi and Sora if he does return:rolleyes:

EDIT: The length is fine, I like the length

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess
Long and fantastic. Great job.

Edit: I like the length. Unfortunately the only place I can get internet isn't exactly conducive for comfortable reading. Keep the length though.

Last edited:

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
lol, he's not too certain yet. But he does like her -just like in the game.

Hm, ok I suppose I'll keep the length. But if it feels too long, or too boring then I'll cut it down some :)

A

Azrael

please update, pretty please! Anti Sora demands Soiri moments now!

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
Oh, I'm reallyyyy sorry!!! I was working on it and was planning on posting the third chapter tomorrow but I'm not so sure anymore. My dumb laptop is not working right. Argghh. I will try though!! I am falling behind just a tad because I only wrote 5 pages so far, when it's supposed to be at least 20. Oh gosh lolz.

But I promise, ch3 will come soon!

:]

Sora788

Website
jijun.livejournal.com
Disclaimer: I don't own Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy, but I do own the story line. :D
A/N: Thank you very much to those who have reviewed. It means a lot to me and I really appreciate it. So please do be kind and tell me what you think.
The pace of the story is moderate so that everyone is on the same page and so that nothing seems to sudden without reason. I have written things in the story that will show why I put it there in the future. Also, the pace allows further character development. I am going to have fun writing Marluxia, but as of right now, he's kind of like a shadow. Don't worry, he wil not be like that for long...Thanks again for reviewing XD

Kairi’s Diary

Chapter 3: It's Not Fair

A dark shadow engulfed me as I tried to get out from it. The harder I tried to bring myself out, the more it sucked me in. I wanted to let out a cry for help but my mouth refused to open to say a thing. My eyes watered from the vapor and steam that surrounded me as I struggled in the dark hole.

I was sinking and there was nothing I could do to save myself. My fingernails weren’t able to hold onto the black floor in front of me. I took a deep breath before emerging in the dark pool. Suddenly, a warm hand reached out and grabbed mine before I was completely submerged into nothingness. It held onto my shaking wrist tightly and brought me out with ease. The black, grimy substance slid off my skin as I stood up on my feet to get a glimpse of my rescuer.

“Sora!” I pulled him in for a hug. I refused to let out tears, but I was so excited to see him. It had been forever since I had seen him, that smile, that face, those blue eyes, and that unforgettable spiky, brunette hair. He wrapped his hands around me and rested his face on my wet hair. I took a deep breath and looked up around us over his shoulder. Everything was pitch black, I couldn’t see anything except for the two of us. My gleeful eyes noticed a shimmering glow enduring him and it was quite strange. I stole a quick glance at myself to find myself no different.

“Sora,” I began in a worried tone as I turned to him. Something wasn’t right. “Are you OK?” His peachy face wore a thin frown. His eyes held sorrow and grief.

“Kairi, it’s too late.” His voice was steady and hollow. There was not a single note of happiness from seeing me.

“W-what’s too late?” I didn’t understand what he was telling me. Nothing was making any sense, none whatsoever.

He bowed his head down as a transparent tear glided down his rosy cheek and splashed onto the dark floor beneath us. “Why didn’t you save me?”

What…

“Save you from what, Sora?” My shaking voice was almost inaudible now as I spoke.

He jerked his head up at me but this time his eyes looked bloodshot and miserable. I gasped, not meaning to be startled by his sudden change in appearance. I reached out to grab his hand, but he was like a ghost. I couldn’t touch him, it was impossible because my hand phased right through his clammy body.

Then, his eyes turned white and his skin turned into a deep, intense shade of black.

“Sora! What’s….what’s happening?” When I thought that it couldn’t get any worse, the center of his chest spurred out blood. A trail of red ooze streamed down from his heart and dripped into a ocean forming on the floor. I looked down and to my horror we were standing in a pool of thick, red blood.

Hot tears ran down my face. It was all too shocking, Sora…Sora was dying in front of me. His knees couldn’t hold him up any longer, he began to sink down into the bloody ocean. Red splashes of the gory fluid stained my skin and clothes as I hurriedly tried to pull him up. But then, he dug his sharp nails into my wrist and clenched it tightly when he tried to yanked me in after him.

“Let go of me!” I screamed loudly, trying to jerk my arm from his grip. But my efforts were useless, he was pulling me in with him. I decided to kick him in his rib cage and as I did, a wave of blood came over me.

It was too late, he had brought me in with him. I was suffocating in the disgusting crimson substance. Sora had wrapped his ghastly demon hands around my scarlet dripping neck, strangling me to death.

My head dipped out from the red sea and when I did, he yelled at me in a deafening tone, “Why did you betray me, Kairi!!”

He pressed his hands harder around my stained, fragile throat as he suffocated me to my death.

--xxx--

My eyes shot open within a split second, the moment another tide of blood was going to drown me, but to be only greeted by a ray of sunshine. I was lying in bed, in my room. I sat up straight, almost jerking my body forcefully forward and inspected the carpeted floor below me, but I leaned too much to the edge and I fell face first to the floor.

Ouch.

Raising my head, I let out a sigh of relief to see there was no blood on my carpet and that I was the only one in the room. My hands dabbed on the floor just to make sure there really was no blood sunken deep within.

It was just a dream…a stupid, terrible dream.

Getting up from my clumsy fall, I made my way to my desk chair and sat in front of my desk. The diary peacefully laid there. Turning to an empty page, I wrote a few words in it.

Marluxia, are you in there?

I waited, hoping he would answer me. Then a moment later, my answer came in brilliant, glossy red letters written beautifully. His handwriting put mine to shame…

Yes, my dear.

He didn’t write much, but as long as he was there in the diary, that’s all that mattered. I quickly scribbled another message to him after I saw that I was going to get late again if I didn’t hurry up.

I want you to stay in here until I tell you to come out, OK? Don’t come out till I tell you to…please?

Without waiting for his response, I shut the diary, shoved it in my bag and hastily changed my clothes (without having to worry about Marluxia watching me), then ran down the stairs with my things with me.

Upon approaching the kitchen, Leon caught my gaze. “You want some cranberry juice?” He was about to put away the clear plastic juice carton in the fridge after pouring himself a glass.

“Hell no!” The reddish color of the fluid made me nauseous because it reminded me of the horrible ocean I stood in when Sora dragged me in after him. Making a face, I reached for a doughnut from a heap piled on a glass tray placed on the counter then rushed out the door.

The weather was fairly good, a warm breeze brushed past me, calming my frightened senses. What really freaked me out was the realness of the dream, no it wasn’t a dream it was a nightmare. It felt so real, as if it was really happening. I shook my head a little. Sora wouldn’t kill me…he would never do that. Never. How could I believe such a thing even if it did happen in a nightmare?

I peered in my bag once more after taking another bite of my chocolate glazed doughnut, watching the pink book clash against my other books and whatnot as I walked at a brisk pace. “Hey, Marluxia. Can you hear me? Well, if you can, you can come out now.”

I waited for a moment, but he didn’t appear anywhere. Figures. Fine if he wants to stay in that book instead of walking by me, ok I get it.

Sighing dramatically, I continued on my way…alone. It certainly wasn’t fun walking to school everyday while living in a street that most children didn’t live on who were my age. Otherwise, I would have probably made some new friends or something and walk with them.

“Can you stop ignoring me?” I tapped the cover of the book gently, outlining the engraved rose imprint with a finger. I had to ask Marluxia about that one day, about the roses and what it was really all about.

A flash of white gleamed from the corners of my tan colored bag, indicating Marluxia’s arrival. Finally.

He paced slowly by my side while his hair glinted from the rays of the sun and swayed slightly from the cool breeze. His black robe thing looked rather appealing on him, even if it did lack a sense of cheeriness in it. He just looked…too perfect.

I smiled radiantly at him, trying to get him to open up and talk. He peered down at me when he took note of my loving stare and smiled back, displaying a hint of his set of white, straight teeth. Finishing the last of my breakfast, I remembered what I had wanted to tell him.

“I had a terrible dream when I woke up this morning,” I began, “It was really frightening. There was blood and Sora! He was going to kill me! The most weirdest thing was that it all felt too real…And he said something about me betraying him.”

Taking the time to process what I just said, I caught a winced on his face but he hurriedly brushed it away. I raised a questioning brow at him.

“It was just a dream,” Marluxia assured, placing a gesturing hand on my back. “I wouldn’t worry too much about it.”

“Yeah, but, what do you think it means?” I wanted to know at least some, if not all, of his thoughts. Sure, it was a dream, or nightmare as I refer it to, but I just knew there was something important about it. I mean, dreams like this don’t come too often, right?

“It means you’re worrying about him too much, this Sora person.” Marluxia relaxed his hand that was on my back and moved it up to my shoulder. “You’re still tense.”

Just by feeling my shoulder, you come to the conclusion that I’m tense? But then again, I wasn’t too calm either. Taking in a quick, deep breath I tried to relax myself. Alright, so it was just a dream (I won’t call it a nightmare anymore since it doesn’t suit the whole calming thing), it didn’t mean anything, I was just worried about Sora (because he still hasn’t bothered to call me yet), and I am making a big deal about it all.

“Feel better?” Marluxia asked me in a subtle voice.

Turning to him and soaking in his beauty, I answered, “Yes, much.”

After thinking things through, things started to make more sense to me. That’s one thing I didn’t do, or need to do more often. I tended to not think certain things through and see another meaning behind something. If I just did that, maybe life will become a tad bit easier, no?

Upon reaching the school’s gates, Seifer and his “gang” (I don’t really consider Fuu or Rai to be a part of this charade game they play, calling themselves a gang!) weren’t lingering around the gates like yesterday. Good.

Without trouble, I walked into the busy court yard and scanned the crowd for Olette. We usually met at the wooden benches by the school’s entrance. A puzzled expression took over Olette’s pretty face when I saw her. Her green eyes narrowed with envy and puzzlement. She didn’t acknowledge my presence until I waved a hand in front of her face to break her gaze. Her stressed eyes blinked a few times before looking up at me. I sat beside her as Marluxia made himself comfortable next to me.

“Hey, what’s up with you?” I asked as I set my bag on the floor besides me waiting for her to tell me what was wrong.

“Look…,” she murmured, pointing a hand ahead of her. “Over there.”

I followed her finger and into the direction she wanted to look over to. I spotted Riku under the shaded tree where the Goth clan stood aimlessly. It seemed like he was talking to someone, but I couldn’t see who. It was too dark to make out any distinctive faces in the deep gloominess. All I could see was the blazing silver hair of Riku, whose back was turned to me, conversing away with whoever. It appeared that he was there for some time now because he was still standing there talking. His voice didn’t carry over to where we sat for we were too far away to hear a single word.

Rolling my eyes, I said, “Is that what’s bothering you?” Utter nonsense.

Olette nodded her head in conformation. Her frown deepened, her eyes sad. Talking a little bit louder this time, she said, “He’s talking with…them. He’d go talk to the most anti-social people ever but he’d never talk to me! That’s so frustrating.”

“I don’t see why you are so angry about something so stupid. Maybe he’s just asking about something…Who knows, and who cares really….” Sorry to say, but this was something not to fret about. Actually, I am glad that he’s there instead of here.

Olette shrugged, “I don’t know. Yeah, I guess maybe you’re right. Maybe he’s just asking harmless questions or whatever…”

She turned to me for the first time that morning, but to return a small gasp. “Kairi, why are there bags under your eyes?”

“Huh? What?” Bags? What? When? How??

I felt my skin underneath my eyes to feel if it was really bad or severe. Nothing. Olette took out her small compatible mirror and thrust it in front of my face. I looked intensely into the small circle, and sure enough there were small bags under my eyes. Putting the mirror away, Olette assured me, “Don’t worry, they’re not too noticeable. Oh…and sorry for freaking you out like that. Sorry, I just couldn’t help it.”

“It’s alright,” I muttered. Was that something to worry me about? “I just couldn’t sleep last night, so maybe that’s why.”

“Really? What happened?” Olette revealed a small smirk, “Don’t tell me you were studying, Kairi! I keep telling you to take a break from school work. Do you listen to me? No, so now you see your beauty is paying the price.”

Very funny. Not.

“I wasn’t studying all night! I just had a dream is all, a really bad one.”

Without invitation, I started to ramble on about my dream and all about it, about how Sora was standing in front of me, then the next instant he turned into this demon kind of thing. I tried to not be too vivid about the blood that gushed from his heart and how a sea of red swallowed me. His clammy hands around my neck made me shutter just thinking about it again…

When I was done, Olette asked with great interest, “Oh wow, that really is bad. So like whose Sora? I’ve never heard of him before.”

“Sora is my best friend-”

Olette suddenly interrupted. “Aw, Kairi, you’re blushing!” She reached over to pinch my cheek and smiled.

“As I was saying,” I ignored the fact that I was ’blushing’, “He’s my best friend and I haven’t seen him for a long time. He doesn’t live close by, he lives somewhere far away from here unfortunately.”

As soon as we saw the majority of the school’s courtyard dispersing and thinning, we gathered our things and walked down the crowded halls to our classes. We hadn’t talked much (because Olette was too busy staring at random guys) until she broke the silence between us.

“You still have to tell me what happened between you and Naminé,” she stated as her gleaming green eyes flashed over me. “Don’t leave me hanging!”

“Olette,” I raised a straight finger to my lips, “Shh! I don’t want people to hear about it.” We hustled around random people blocking our way as we tried to get through. Of course with a mob like that, anyone could overhear her.

“Sorry,” she apologized as we climbed up the stairs. “But, anyway, you still need to tell me what happened between you two.”

I bit my lower lip in reluctance, the pain numbed my lips. “I don’t want to talk about it, Olette.” I felt Marluxia’s cold hand over my shoulder. The severe coldness seeped into my skin, a chill came over me.

I felt a cool presence approaching my ear. “You don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to. You can tell me when you’re ready,” Marluxia’s velvety voice echoed in my mind, numbing it just as my lips were as he whispered to me.

Sighing dramatically, Olette said, “Fine, tell me later.” She smiled and gave me half a hug as we parted ways. Waving to me while she walked away, she exclaimed, “But you’re going to have to tell me soon! OK!”

“Um…”

She was out of sight and I was relieved. I didn’t have to get pressured to say anything at the moment. Phew.

Marluxia’s hand never left my side as I walked dreadfully towards my math class. Taking my usual seat by the window in the back of the room, I took out my notebooks and waited for class to begin.

I looked around the room, Marluxia seemed to be doing the same. It seemed like we both were thinking the same thoughts because he said exactly what was on my mind.

“There are so many lame, uninteresting people in here,” he whispered even though we both knew well that no one could hear him but me.

I nodded my head in agreement. My eyes swept over the people in our room but stopped upon a group of nerds who stared at me. Their blue and green braces gleamed in the luminous light as they smiled at me. Err…um. I wasn’t quite in the mood to smile at them, but they looked really hopeful. So, I forced my lips to smiled back, but a quick and short one. Then I looked away, but the image of their unappealing mismatching plaid shirts and their high water pants reaching above their ankles stayed in my mind for a moment or two.

Turning away, I paid more attention to what was being taught today: quadratic equations. Something I already knew, but I took notes regardless. I stared out at the window occasionally.

--xxx--

“These fries are so good,” Olette mused as she put a few in her mouth during our lunch break. She sipped her large bottle of Coke and ate more fries. If anyone had an appetite, it was Olette. She would eat all the fattiest foods ever and would hardly gain any weight.

I grabbed some of the oily fries from her and sipped some of my own Coke. Opening a packet of ketchup, she spread the garnet colored substance on top of her left over fries.

Involuntarily, I flinched. She noticed, her lips changed into a frown. “What? You don’t like ketchup?”

I shook my head side to side to interpret the misunderstanding. “No, no. I like it, it’s just maybe I still remember the gory images from my bad dream,” I said quickly, choosing my words carefully because I still refused to call it a nightmare.

“What bad dream?”

I hesitated, not knowing what to think. Didn’t I just tell her this morning what it was all about? Could she have forgotten so easily? I pouted, “The one about Sora?”

“Sora?” She took a bite of her double cheese pizza. “Do I know him?”

“Olette!! I told you about Sora, my other best friend, and that stupid dream in which he tried to kill me? And there was blood everywhere? You don’t remember that?!” I didn’t mean to sound so sudden, but how could she forget?

“Geez, Kai! I am eating, can’t you wait to tell me all that when I’m done? If it makes you feel better, I remember some of it now.” Olette looked disgusted. Why, I don’t know.

“Sorry my highness,” I began sarcastically, “My bad.”

“Oh, well, it’s alright,” she replied, apparently not getting the hinted sarcasm in my words.

“Kairi,” Marluxia said from beside me, “I think she was tired in the morning. Don’t get so worked up about it.”

Not completely satisfied with his answer, I pondered over it. How could she be the one tired? She was busy staring at Riku.

“Or she was distracted by something,” he added, “Something that hurts her inside.”

Ok, so even if I don’t like Riku, Olette does. She’s like, crazy about him. So maybe she felt hurt about him not talking to her and would rather talk to the “most anti-social people around” over her. Ok, I suppose I could understand. But, I still had my doubts.

I let it go for the mean time. I guess it would do me good if I forgot about the dream anyhow.

“Kairi, are you going to tell me now?” she asked me after a moments of silence.

I knew exactly what she meant. “No, not yet. Maybe later alright?”

She sighed. “Ok…”

I took another sip of my drink, glad that I wouldn’t have to explain anything at that moment.

“But tell me this,” she started again in between mouthfuls of fries, “Why do you hate Riku?”

“How come you don’t?” I inquired in return. I still couldn’t see what she saw in him.

“He’s really hot.”

“Not news to me,” I said skeptically. How could I forget how many times she’d told me about his looks.

“He’s talented.”

“Yeah right.” What talent could he possibly possess that would be useful? Skateboarding doesn’t count.

“Riku has great clothes.”

Clothes mean nothing. “I think he needs a new look, not like I care though.”

“Riku is just Riku. You can’t really question that.” She smiled and beamed at me at her last remark.

“Funny, then why am I questioning about his existence?” Again with the sarcasm that she failed to detect.

“Kai, your complaints are besides the point.” She sighed, “If only he would talk to me, I might have a chance with him.”

Well, I will hope for that not too happen. Come to think of it, I didn’t see him stalk me yet. Maybe I shouldn’t hold my luck out so hastily.

--xxx--

Our English teacher, Ms. Riggs, began her lecture about the proper uses of grammar and whatnot. Of course this stuff was easy, but I took notes about them in my English notebook regardless. Then she went on ranting about similes and metaphors. I jotted a few points on those too even though everyone should know about those as well.

She fumbled through the mounds and piles of papers scattered about on her desk to find the right stack of papers to pass out next. As I waited tiredly, I glanced back at Olette. To my astonishment, she was passing a folded note to Naminé, who was in the same class as us unfortunately for me. To make it even more to my disliking, they sat so close to each other, only one desk was separating them.

Naminé got hold of the note when the boy sitting in between them gave it to her from Olette. Her quick hands opened the note noiselessly. Her eyes darted from each word written from Olette.

Alright, no big deal…maybe she was talking about something or wanted to know something. But, wait, they weren’t supposed to be making any contact to each other in any shape or form.

I jumped from my seat when a strict voice called my name. “Kairi! Are you paying the slightest attention to me? You’re one of my best students now don’t slip up.”

A hot, red wave of humiliation came over me. I never had to be called out before, ever, well not in this class. I faced forward unwillingly. Lucky for me, Naminé and Olette were so involved with their little note passing and writing that they did not see me peering over at them.

“As I was saying,” Ms. Riggs continued, “You will work with another person and write the book report together. It could be about any book on the list I will hand out to you and you must follow the prompt. I would like for it to be creative, full of color, and on a poster board….”

The rest was lost by me because I was panicking about what was going on behind me. I hated it so much that I sat in the front row and those two sat in the back. From worry, I began to chew on the end of my eraser on my pencil. What was Olette writing to Naminé? What was Naminé writing back to Olette? Oh how I wanted to turn around one more time, no one knew.

A thought came to me. I couldn’t look back, but surely Marluxia could. Flipping to the next clean page in my already open notebook, I hastily scribbled my message for him.

“Go back there and read what the hell they are writing, then tell me!”

He already knew what was on my mind before he even completely read my note. He swiftly went passed me and towards the two. He said nothing, nothing at all when he was gone. I became more anxious about what the two were writing. C’mon Marluxia, stop leaving me hanging, say something!! Anything, just talk no one can hear you.

I didn’t dare to look back again, Ms. Riggs had a keen eye on me. It frightened me, her hawk like eyes hardly left my worrisome pair.

“….I don’t want any sloppy work….” I was only able to catch words and phrases from her ranting about our book report project.

“…due next month,” I tried harder to pay attention, but without prevail. “…you will have… time…reading the book….”

Please Marluxia, hurry up.

As if on cue, he reappeared. I sat up straighter in my chair, waiting for his feedback. I didn’t look at him, but he sat on top of my desk and thought carefully.

Stop making me wait longer, just tell me dang it!

“They are talking about-”

“You can chose one partner, so please do so now.” Ms. Riggs finally said, her words overshadowed Marluxia’s.

The moment she said ‘now’ I jerked up from my seat and turned around to make a dash towards to Olette. Maybe the note was about being partners for the silly project. If that happened, God forbid, would I be ready to accept the fact that Naminé and Olette would be together for a whole month?

Before I could answer my own question, my face hit the floor. Stupid me, I tripped in the rush. I raised myself up, but to see a class full of students staring hard at me…laughing.

Ms. Riggs turned a beat red color and she sounded pretty upset about my sudden movement. “Kairi! What do you think you are doing jumping around like that?”

If I said I was running to Olette before Naminé could, that would sound pathetic and I can bet on it that she would not let me be partners with Olette as “punishment“ for “class disturbance”.

Getting up, I waited for the laughter to die down before I could speak. “I…” Kairi, think of a good excuse…hurry!

“I had to go to the bathroom,” I lied quickly. “Really badly. It‘s an emergency.” I added the last part to make it sound more believable. More laughter sounded around me, I dared not to look over at the demon, afraid to see her laughing at me too. No doubt she was, but what was the need to see it too?

“Oh…” Ms. Riggs calmed down a tad bit. I think she took my word for it since I was one of her favorite, trusted students. “Let me write you a pass then.”

Oh darn, what did I get myself into? If I went to the bathroom, that would be more than enough time for that dreadful brat to get a hold of Olette!! Crap. What did I get myself into? If I said that I didn’t have to go to the bathroom anymore, that would definitely make me look a liar. On top of that, if I went to Olette right away, that would give me away.

Damn, Kairi, damn. What did you do?

I took the little girl’s room pass that Ms. Riggs wrote up for me and reluctantly walked to the door with Marluxia close behind me. Before heading out, I went to Olette’s desk first.

“I’m your partner, alright?” I whispered hurriedly to her as I slowly walked passed where she sat.

She smiled inreturn, “Of course!”

Thank God. Problem solved. If that foolish girl went to Olette now, she would be told that I was already her partner and she’d have to find a new one.

I wanted to laugh with victory. Yes, this was going to work out. Relief came over me as I walked out the classroom and to the bathroom.

I whispered to Marluxia, “Go back in there and check on them.”

Without asking why, he went back to where we came from as I reached the bathroom. I will find out what was in that note soon, so soon. But what really mattered now was that I was Olette’s partner and not that witch.

The girl’s bathroom was empty when I went inside. Of course I didn’t have to go, but I had to stay in here for at least a few minutes since my silly excuse, or lie, caused this mess. The dark pink walls were bare and the mirrors were a bit cloudy.

I looked at myself in the mirror. My reflection showed a bright, dedicated girl who was trying to make it through school without that jerk ruining everything for me once again. My auburn hair looked darker and gorgeous. I smiled at myself because I thought that I looked much better than Naminé.

I made some funny faces in my reflection to kill time faster. After some time with that, I paced around the paper toweled covered tiled floor. I glanced at my watch, it had only been forty-five seconds. Time just couldn’t go any slower. I headed for one of the empty stalls and locked it behind me as I stood in there.

Sometimes there were hearts around names written in various Sharpie colored pens. It was interesting to see how some were so pressed over each other that they would write their names and arrows around in a bathroom.

Besides names, there were also gossip inscribed on the bathroom stalls. I bent down a little to read some or find some at least.

“My boyfriend sucks hell.”

“Riku is mine.” I rolled my eyes when I read that rubbish.

“Call me!”

Hmm, no gossip yet. I saw a few curse words written randomly about, but nothing much more.

“Hugs are overrated.”

“Can someone tutor me?”

“Detention is a second HELL!!”

“I heard that toilet paper is made from our recycled homework.”

This was boring. Maybe I chose the wrong stall to read stuff. Rest of the messages meant nothing to me. If I had a marker I would have written something as well. For fun, I ripped a piece of our supposedly recycled homework toilet paper and folded it. I held onto it and used it to hold onto the handle of the toilet without really touching it with my hand.

I flushed it once. The loud whooshing sound echoed in the bathroom as the water swirled around. It was silent again. I flushed once more, and again and again until I felt that I spent enough time in the bathroom. It wasn’t until it was quiet again that I heard a disturbing noise.

I was drop dead still and quiet. I didn’t move a muscle, my breathing staggered as the unpleasant sound reached my ears. I gulped, this was not something I was thinking that would happen.

The girl in the stall down from me continued to throw up, her never ending vomiting and constant hurling disturbed me. She flushed it all away and was out of the stall. I was afraid to get out from my stall to see who it was. I was curious and nervous to find out who it was in the bathroom with me. I stayed where I was until the running faucet toned down to a steady dripping and her footsteps were faint and distant. I stepped out from the stall I was out in a second after I washed my own hands (because I didn’t want germs from touching the handle).

As I walked back towards my classroom, I tried to get a hold of myself. I didn’t see anyone when I went in there, so why didn’t I notice when she, whoever she was, come in? Maybe I was too busy with my toilet flushing to hear her.

But why was she throwing up? She couldn’t have any food disorders, right? Kairi, stop jumping to conclusions. Perhaps she was only sick from what she ate at lunch, which wasn’t too long ago. We all feel sick sometimes, correct? But, wait, if she felt nauseous, wouldn’t she have gone to the nurses office instead? Or maybe it was too far away for her to reach it…yes, that’s it. She felt sick, wanted to go to the nurse, but couldn’t because it was too far away. So, instead, she came to the bathroom.

My thoughts were forgotten when I walked back into my classroom. Naminé was sitting next to Olette. The two were talking…and it seemed too friendly. In fact, everyone was with their chosen partners discussing about their project.

Heading towards the two, I did my best to stay as calm as possible without showing the slightest trace of fear or dread on my face. Marluxia stood behind them, listening to every word they spoke. At least I have someone who will let me in of what they were talking about.

“Hello, Olette.” I greeted casually, taking a seat next to Olette.

“Kairi, finally, you’re here! I can’t wait until the three of us get started.” She flashed a smile and glanced at Naminé.

“The…three of us?” Oh no, Kairi, don’t lose a hold of yourself. By three, she better not mean Nam--

“You, me, and Naminé of course!” She gestured at Naminé who didn’t bother to look at me directly.

“How…” I could finish my question, which was ‘How the hell did this happen?’

“Naminé didn’t have a partner, so Ms. Riggs said that she could work with us.” Olette handed me a few papers regarding the report and the list of books that we were to chose from.

I still had no idea was this was really all about because I was too busy worrying when the teacher was explaining everything. Forcing myself to look up from the papers gripped into my shaking hands, I laid my eyes on the two.

Marluxia clarified for me a little bit about the three of us. “There was an odd number of students, so she was put with you two.”

I nodded at him, taking in this bit of information. Curse it. If I had been here, perhaps this might not happened. Maybe she would have chosen a different pair of students. Damn it.

“We have decided to read the play called Romeo and Juliet,” Naminé said bluntly at me. “Is that alright with you, Kairi?”

I abhorred the way she said my name, it was full of hatred and disgust. But of course, I was the only one who noticed because she had a way of making it sound so casual.

“Yeah, sure.” I didn’t have time to worry about what book we read. I had a much bigger problem on hand.

This was not happening. I was not going to work with her. This is just a bad dream. I am still asleep. I am not awake yet. This is just all a bad dream. Right now, I am still in bed asleep…or unconscious.

“Good.” Olette stated, “Then we should split up what we are going to do. That way, we could finish up faster.”

“Great idea, Olette. I like how you think,” Naminé grinned as she kissed up to my friend.

“Sit down, Kai! No need to be standing!” Olette pulled a chair for me from behind her and I obediently took the seat and forced myself to sit in it.

“We need to talk about the themes, plot, and character development from the book.” Olette spoke to us as she glanced at the bullets on the paper. “I will work on the plot.”

“I will write the character development.” Naminé stated hastily before I had a say in anything.

How rude, none of them asked me what I wanted to do. “I believe I am stuck with themes.” I wasn’t going to complain about it though. I gritted my teeth and pretended not to mind their ignorant behavior.

You know what, I don’t think I am dreaming anymore. This is a nightmare, or the beginning of one.

The bell rang, indicating the end of class. Naminé said her good byes (OK, well mostly to Olette because I know she hates me) and was on her merry way out.

Olette was occupied gathering her things together as the rest of the class dispersed. I grabbed my belongings and got her attention at the door. “Why did you agree to let her work with us?”

One month of us three working together. Could I handle that?!

“She didn’t have any other choice,” she mused. “Besides, I don’t see the big deal.”

The big deal? The big deal was, Olette, that my best friend was endangered to going to the dark side…

“But you know I don’t like her!” I fought back, I had to let her know some way that I just didn’t like that woman.

“Yeah, but you didn’t tell me why, Kairi!” she interjected as we made our way downstairs. “How could I not talk to her when you don’t tell me anything?”

“I told you I would tell you want happened, later! You have to give me time! Why can’t you just understand that?” I cried aloud, hoping that something would get in her mind.

“Kai…”

There was an eerie silence between us as students pushed their way around. I broke the silence when we reached her locker. She fumbled with the dial as I leaned against a locker. “Tell me something.”

“Yeah?” She tossed a few books in and shut it closed.

“Are you guys friends?” I hoped the answer would be the opposite of ‘yes’.

Giving me a quick glance, she sighed. “Kairi, we don’t even know each other that well.”

That doesn’t answer my question!

“OK, but are you friends with her?”

“No, we’re not. I don’t know why you’re so worried about it either.” She twirled a lock of hair around her finger.

Phew.

“Promise me,” I started. I had to chose my words very, very carefully. “Promise me that you won’t become her friend.”

Olette looked down as she and I briskly walked towards our next class. Peering over at me, she gave me her answer. “I…”

“Olette, I want you to understand. If you and her become friends…” I cut off, trying not to get emotional again like before. “I don’t want to lose you, Olette. You’re my best friend.”

Placing a hand on my shoulder, she gave it a squeeze. “You and I will always be best friends, Kairi. Remember that. If it makes you feel better, I give you my word that I will not befriend Naminé.” She grinned ear to ear. “I promise.”

Thank goodness. She understands!! I trust Olette, I know that she will not betray me.

“Thanks Olette.” I gave her a great hug before we parted ways to our next period. “This means so much to me.” I meant it, I really did.

“No problem!”

For the rest of the day, I had nothing pestering my mind. I thought about what Olette said. She believed that we would be best friends no matter what. That means that not even the evil devil could screw this up for me, like what she did to me before.

--xxx--

The clashing of the small bells above rang as I opened the door to the ice cream place after school was over. Olette followed behind me as we joined the long line to get our ice creams.

“He’s so cute,” Olette said to me as we stood in the end of the line.

“Who?” I glanced about to see who she was talking about even though I didn’t really care. Heck, she thought that almost every boy was cute.

“The guy standing behind the counter.”

I frowned when I saw the familiar face she was referring to. “My brother?”

“HE’S your brother?” She felt like she got an invisible slap in the face. “Darn…”

“What?” I questioned, even though I knew I should not have bothered after hearing how ‘cute’ my brother looked to Olette.

“I don’t have a chance with him. The ‘Don’t-ever-date-your-best-friend’s-brother’ rule says so.” She sighed with defeat.

“Oh,” I muttered. Apparently, I wasn’t up to date about the dating rules that were around. “Well, he has a girlfriend anyhow.”

Olette pouted. “I don’t see how he would not. He’s so hot looking.”

“I thought you were crazy over Riku.”

“I am.”

The line moved forward so we went ahead. The line was going too slow. I wished Leon would hurry it up with his assistant.

“Can’t we cut?” Olette inquired. She was becoming as impatient as I was. Her foot was tapping against the floor faster now. She heaved another long, periodic sigh.

“Um…no?”

Another sigh and pout from Olette. “But you know him…”

I shrugged. It wasn’t too long before it was our turn. “You know what I want,” I told Leon before he could ask anything.

“What about your friend?” He inquired as he looked at her.

“I’ll have the same, Sea Salt.” She tried to make her voice as playful as possible. Oh please.

Handing him the cash, he gave us each a sea salt ice cream bar. “Thanks,” I mumbled, taking a bite.

“I’m coming home late tonight,” Leon informed me before I left the counter. “Just so you know.”

“How come?” I took another bite of my ice cream as I heard a woman grunting behind me. She was impatient I believe.

“I’m gonna be with my friends.” He tried not to be overheard by the people around us.

“But you’re not supposed to be out late at night,” I reminded him firmly. “It’s against Aunt’s rules.”

He rolled his eyes in annoyance. “She’s not here, so it doesn’t matter. I am going to take advantage of this time before she comes back in the next few days or so.”

“So how come you’re telling me?” If he was going to disobey, why tell me what wrong thing he was doing?

“I don’t want you to get worried or anything and call the police to search for me,” he answered irritated. If he thought I would call the police, that may mean that he was planning to stay out late for a long, long, long time.

“Whatever.”

I left with Olette behind me, still gazing at my ‘cute-slash-hot’ brother. We took a seat at a nearby table and ate in silence.

“I wish I lived in your house,” Olette remarked dreamily.

“Yeah right…” Um, ew?

I took another bite. The savory flavor lingered in my mouth for an instant before I swallowed. I looked around the crowded place for Marluxia. A small crept onto my face when I saw him curiously peering over at the many colors and flavors of ice cream from different people’s ice cream cones. He took a few bites from a chocolate Rocky Road and another from Cookie Dough using his finger instead of a spoon so that he wouldn’t be so obvious. Apparently he was really careful, no one noticed the invisible grim reaper sampling from their ice creams.

It looked like he didn’t like some, because he made a sour face. Or maybe it was from the severe coldness of the ice cream. Or…brain freeze?

I diverted my attention back at Olette. “You want to go to the library to pick up a few copies of Romeo and Juliet so we can get started?”

Olette glanced at the watch on my arm. “I can’t. Sorry.”

I didn’t ask why, she was probably busy. I understood. “Ok, some other time then.”

She nodded, “Another time would be better.”

“Alright…” I was a tad bit disappointed, I wanted to get started right away, but at the same time I didn’t want to go by myself to the library.

Out of nowhere, Olette brought on the subject of the devil. “You really don’t like Naminé right?”

I didn’t hesitate to answer. “No, I really don’t like her.”

“How do you think you will manage working with her then?” She was talking about the three of us and the ridiculous project that caused this mayhem.

“I’ll manage,” I replied, but not being confident with my answer because I myself did not know how I was going to keep a straight face with her nearby.

“I hope so.”

What was that supposed to mean?

I caught her vicious eyes glance one more time at my watch. Then she hurriedly ate her ice cream bar within minutes. “I have to go, Kairi! Sorry! See you later, OK?”

She dashed outside before I could get any more information about what she meant. I was sitting by myself at the table. Great. I hated being alone.

I wanted to chase after her to see where she was going, but that was none of my business. I couldn’t just ran after her and track her down. I wasn’t in the mood for it.

Sighing, I hoisted my school bag on my shoulder and trudged outside as well and headed home. But the thing was, I didn’t want to go home. No one was there and I didn’t know what to do with myself. My ice cream bar was melting again.

Hell with it, I threw it away in the closest trash can available. I sighed and looked up at the sky. The sun was shining brilliantly and a cool breeze was loose. It felt so relaxing.

I glanced behind me to look at Marluxia and ask him what we should do. I saw someone else instead. Marluxia was no where to be found.

Riku.

He waved at me when he saw my glare. He quickened his pace as well, coming to me faster. I stayed where I was, I should have ran away from him, but I didn’t. How stupid of me.

“Hey!” he greeted me warmly and stood close.

“What do you want?” My arms crossed over my chest as I took a step back.

“Nothing.”

“Ok, bye.” I scowled fiercely and twirled away from his smiling face. I began to walk away until he held onto my arm.

Turning me towards him, I was forced to look at his face once again. “Let go of me!”

My cry made him let go of me right away, his eyes seemed confused. “No need to freak out.”

“I’m not.” I gathered my composure and tried to sound casual. “Just don’t touch me.”

Come to think of it, I hadn’t seen him all day until now. I wish it had continued to stay like that.

“Sorry,” he seemed confounded, or puzzled at my reaction. “I want to talk to you.”

“Here I am, talking to you.” My lips turned into a frown.

“Can we sit down and talk?” he prompted, eagerness dwelling in his aquamarine eyes.

Immediately, I sat down on the cobblestone ground in the middle of the market plaza. “ I don’t have all the time in the world. Sit down so we can be over with his.” I patted a bare space next to me for him to sit down as well. A few passing shoppers looked at me funny when they passed by.

“That’s not what I meant.” He bit his lower lip.

“Oh?” I got up again. Of course I knew he meant go somewhere else to have our little chitchat, but I wanted to mess with him and his words. “Well, then, where would you like for us to talk?”

What a waste of time. I should have just gone home. Now I was regretting my silly desires.

“How about…,” he placed a thoughtful finger on his chin. “We could go to park.”

Park? No, I would never go there with him. I wasn’t liking this at all. What were we going to do in the park? I knew very well how boys his type work. I was not going to tell him use me like this for his cheap pleasures.

“No.” I told him sternly, my frown deepening.

“Well…”

“We could go to the library,” I suggested with a special thought in mind.

“I guess that could work,” he mumbled. His face looked somewhat disappointed.

“Great, let’s go.”

I ignored him all the way from the Market Plaza to the library. He rambled about whatever and I simply didn’t listen. He asked about my studies and what I was interested in achieving. Hell, like he really cared about that.

We reached the library in no time and I guided him to where I wanted us to sit. This was going to work perfectly. I chose the table near the most strictest librarian who worked behind the checkout desk. No one liked to sit by her because she was very, very strict about the rules of the library, especially the one regarding no talking.

Yes, this was going to be perfect.

“Come, sit.” I took a seat facing away from the librarian as he took a seat across from me. When we got settled, I whispered as quietly as I possibly could, “Now, tell me what it was that you wanted to talk about.”

He took in a deep breath as he looked around us. “Can’t we sit somewhere else? Somewhere more private?”

I shook my head in disagreement.

He looked hesitant, very doubtful. His eyes seemed to be delirious. “Um…”

‘Um’. Was that what he wanted to say? UM?

“I can’t hear you,” I whispered softly. I did heard him, but the lady behind me couldn’t.

He fumbled with his thumbs over the white table before he began his rant. “I just want you to have an open mind when I speak to you.”

I nodded my head and said nothing. My arms were still crossed over my chest. I tapped a foot up and down as well. I waited.

I cupped a hand around my ear to tell him that I couldn’t hear him. Taking in the gesture, he leaned towards to me.

“I thought that I should let you know--”

He was cut short by a loud, irritated yell from behind me. The librarian who was strict stopped her computer work and hissed in a low, but audible voice, “Young man! You know the rules. Be quiet! Shh!”

Strike one.

I wanted to laugh, but I remained in my mood-less, bored state.

Riku toned his voice down. I guess he’s never been in a library before to know that he shouldn’t have been talking so loudly. “You should know that…”

I cupped my ear again as if I didn’t understand him at all. “Speak up.”

The fool raised his voice higher. “I am trying--”

“Young man!” The grouchy lady interrupted again, she was more fiercer this time with her warning. “Be quiet.”

Strike two.

He did his best to whisper even lower now and paused between every word, “I…would…appreciate…it…”

I whispered really low to him again. “Can’t hear you!”

The idiot spoke louder. “…if…you’d…tell…me--”

“Get out!” the old hag bellowed, her thunderous voice echoed in my mind. “You are a nuisance to the library. A disgrace! Leave my presence at once!”

Strike three and he was gone like a sucker.

Sighing with defeat, he stood up and looked down at me. It made sense to him now. He was framed. It was me who tricked him into coming here and getting him in trouble. Why did I do this? Easy, I was bored and wanted to have a little fun since I was by myself.

He clenched his teeth together. “You’re a difficult girl.”

I shrugged and nodded.

“Aren’t you going to listen to what I have to say?”

I shook my head and got up as well. I walked pass the aisles of books and computer, then out the doors while he followed behind me. Hmm, he wasn’t going to give up easily. I didn’t care what he wanted to tell me, I just didn’t want to hear it.

We were barely away from the library when he yanked me again to face him. I wanted to spit in his face.

“Boy, what did I tell you about touching me?” I jerked my arm out from his grip.

“Oh now you talk to me!” His brows turned to a furious line. “Can you just hear me out?”

“What if I don’t want to ‘hear you out‘?” I took a few steps back and balled my hands into fists.

He took in a deep breath and placed a hand over his forehead. “Ok…ok…,” he muttered more to himself. “I can do this.”

What the hell was he talking about?

He looked over at me again. “First, I want to know why you hate me so much.” This time he sounded steady and his words held sincerity.

I thought about what I was going to say first. “Why do you care about what I think of you?” Come to think of it, this was the second time today I was asked this question.

“Because…” He waited until I calmed down a little. “Because I want us to be good friends. I don’t want to see you get hurt.”

Hurt? From? What? Did he just say that he wanted us to be ‘friends’? Oh hell no.

“You’re crazy,” I grumbled under my breath and glared at his aquamarine eyes. “What could I possibly get hurt from?”

He took a step or two towards me, I retreated in response. He stopped dead where he was and decided against coming forwards even more to me. It seemed like my question kept him silent and speechless for a little while.

I turned away and began to walk away from him, leaving him behind in the dust. I didn’t care what he thought about me, or what he wanted to not see me get “hurt” from. He was like every other boy I knew. They would gain your trust and then use you. After that, they don’t care about you until they had their fun. I don’t know if this was what he wanted, but I wasn’t going to find out.

I just didn’t like the kid. What more does he want?

“Whatever it is you carry around you all the time, I hope it doesn’t get out of hand,” he warned me in a low, dark and hard tone. “Be careful.”

I halted. My feet came to a complete stop at his words. Fear drenched my mind. This wasn’t making any sense. Did he knew about Marluxia? The diary? I clutched my bag tighter around my shoulder and didn’t let it go.

What did he mean? I didn’t know and was afraid to find out.

I half turned to him, but not completely. “Whatever.”

--xxx--

Dear Sora,

I can’t believe the day I had. This morning I had a terrible nightmare about you trying to kill me and asking me why I betrayed you? I don’t know what it was all about, but Marluxia told me it was nothing. It probably was nothing also. I hope I don’t have another dream like that ever, ever again. I don’t like seeing you in pain, even though it was just a dream. But what really knocked me out was how real it all felt. I thought for a moment that you actually were dying in front of me…

The stupid devil, Naminé (curse her damned name) is ruining everything once again…I have to work with her for our silly book report. This is unfair. Why me?! I made Olette promise me not to become her friend. I have her word so I have nothing to worry about. Olette is pestering me about the past, something that I really want to forget, but it keeps coming up in front of my face. Why can’t I just erase it with a magic wand or something? Yeah, like that is going to happen. Life isn’t that easy, but I wish it was. If I had my way, I would still be living in Destiny Islands with my parents. I miss them so much too…We could have been a happy family and you would have been the only friend I needed to make my day every day.

That idiot Riku is bugging me. He’s stalking me just to tell me something. Like I care!! I don’t, but now I am thinking that if I heard what he wanted to say, then he would leave me alone. Maybe not. But I don’t want him near me. All boys (except for you!) are the same. They just use you until they had their fun. I am not going to let him do that to me. Never.

I think Riku knows about the diary and that Marluxia really lives in it and that he’s around me all the time. He’s kind of like my invisible friend that only I could see. That is a good thing though because I am the only one who could see his beauty. Sora, he’s so gorgeous. I wish you could see him too!! I have so many questions to ask him. I will do so tomorrow or something like that. He smells so good, like a perfume!! His skin glows with such brilliant radiance. He isn’t very talkative…yet, but I know once we get to know each other more, we will be the greatest best friends (you too!)

It’s getting pretty late, so I guess I will say my goodbye and write more to you tomorrow. G’Nite!

Love you,

Kairi.

-End Chapter 3-

A/N: Well? How was it? Did you like it? I hope so!! I will try to have the next chapter ready by next week. I have three major exams to study for, oh geez. I hate exams. Well, wish me luck :)

Hmm, when will Sora call? I wonder, maybe in the next chapter!? Anyways, I hope to clear up some more in the oncoming chapters. I am really looking forward to your feedback, so please don't hesitate to tell me what you don't like/do like, and so on.

Bye till then

Sora788

Last edited:
A

Azrael

This is excellent, something tells me Riku has a thing for Kairi. Come on Sora, call her or visit her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back