• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kairi: The Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
Kairi has a role in the series? 🤔
Well being one of the princesses of heart in Kh1, so yes in Kh1 but no in all of the series, MoM will explore her past which hopefully makes her somewhat involved in the future, even if it’s minor role I don’t mind as long she isn’t being sidelined again.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
With so many people being connected to the ancient past, I rather start connecting people to the Yozora side of things. I think it would be interesting if Kairi is somehow connected to the Nameless Star in The Final World. The Nameless Star seemed to be what Yozora was looking for, so I think having Kairi connected somehow would definitely get her involved with the main plot.
That would work too, especially seeing one of the scenes in the Trailer hints at her and Riku meeting Nameless Star.

I just figure that there are more seeds planted to tie Kairi to the Fairy Tale age, with her and Subject X both having been Apprenticenort's test subjects and her Granny being the one to tell the story framing UX.

Ideally she'd have ties and roles in both of the storylines, though I feel like the two are somehow just one, though I don't know how they combine.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
That would work too, especially seeing one of the scenes in the Trailer hints at her and Riku meeting Nameless Star.

I just figure that there are more seeds planted to tie Kairi to the Fairy Tale age, with her and Subject X both having been Apprenticenort's test subjects and her Granny being the one to tell the story framing UX.

Ideally she'd have ties and roles in both of the storylines, though I feel like the two are somehow just one, though I don't know how they combine.
That's the most intriguing thing about Phase 2. I'm really curious to see how they connect Yozora (who seems more futuristic) with the Foretellers (ancient past).

I can easily see Kairi's connection to KHUX, but I feel like we've been only getting ancient past stuff and nothing really to connect to Yozora (who I find to be more interesting, I guess due to his mysterious nature).

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah, that falls in line with fans of hers even in the west, doesn't it? Very loud and passionate but not quite as numerous as they appear to be.

Well.

I agree though I was thinking of "maybe Kairi isn't that bad", lol. But I do feel the female cast aside from Aqua can easily switch around depending on the effort and relevance put forth because there isn't much of a difference in the numbers that are significant. Naminè made it high being just...there, so if Nomura is making the half hearted attempt to give Kairi something, then it might have elevated her if the poll was done again.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Well.

I agree though I was thinking of "maybe Kairi isn't that bad", lol. But I do feel the female cast aside from Aqua can easily switch around depending on the effort and relevance put forth because there isn't much of a difference in the numbers that are significant. Naminè made it high being just...there, so if Nomura is making the half hearted attempt to give Kairi something, then it might have elevated her if the poll was done again.
When I think about that poll, it really makes me wish we had more female characters that were given important roles. Three spots on the poll were taken up by "Kairi", so to speak (Kairi, Xion and Namine). Which ultimately meant that all three of them had stories revolving around Sora mostly. I really hope there's more female characters in Phase 2 that do stuff separate from Sora and/or Kairi and the others have plots separate from Sora.

Foxycian

Awards
That's the most intriguing thing about Phase 2. I'm really curious to see how they connect Yozora (who seems more futuristic) with the Foretellers (ancient past).

I can easily see Kairi's connection to KHUX, but I feel like we've been only getting ancient past stuff and nothing really to connect to Yozora (who I find to be more interesting, I guess due to his mysterious nature).
The only problem with Nomura here is forcing characters that has not ties to the past to be part of the Khux past, being from the past isn’t a problem for me (at least not anymore) but only characters I see that have connection to the past are

1. Ventus (for obvious reasons I explained)

2. Kairi (not her but it’s possible she is related to someone from the past like Eraqus with Brain, the series showed few hints since her grandma always tells her the story from the Age of fairy tales)

3. Marluxia, now this is just a guess, I believe Marly here has not that big of a connection to be in Union X but I Guess he was soo interesting that tossing him aside is a waste since he planned on betraying the organization before, what was he plotting? We didn’t know what he wanted to do back then

but still why laraxene? Heck why even Demyx? Even tho demyx still didn’t appear in the past I’m just gonna hope he comes from dark road and not Union X like the other characters cause Nomura is stretching it instead of making new characters he uses Laraxene and Demyx just to tie them into the plot

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The only problem with Nomura here is forcing characters that has not ties to the past to be part of the Khux past, being from the past isn’t a problem for me (at least not anymore) but only characters I see that have connection to the past are

1. Ventus (for obvious reasons I explained)

2. Kairi (not her but it’s possible she is related to someone from the past like Eraqus with Brain, the series showed few hints since her grandma always tells her the story from the Age of fairy tales)

3. Marluxia, now this is just a guess, I believe Marly here has not that big of a connection to be in Union X but I Guess he was soo interesting that tossing him aside is a waste since he planned on betraying the organization before, what was he plotting? We didn’t know what he wanted to do back then

but still why laraxene? Heck why even Demyx? Even tho demyx still didn’t appear in the past I’m just gonna hope he comes from dark road and not Union X like the other characters cause Nomura is stretching it instead of making new characters he uses Laraxene and Demyx just to tie them into the plot
The Organization members 9-12 (Demyx, Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene) that didn't have a backstory made sense to through into KHUX. I don't think it was out of popularity or anything, but rather a typical Nomura "surprise, they were always part of the story, I just didn't tell you yet!" reveal. I think it will be interesting if Demyx and Luxord are from Yozora's world (or somehow linked to Yozora) while Marluxia/Larxene are from KHUX.

I'm kind of hoping that Kairi is the link between KHUX and Yozora's stories in Phase 2. Kairi can easily be connected to the Nameless Star and also to KHUX stuff. Even if Kairi isn't from the ancient past, she saw first hand Ansem's use of KHUX technology (The Ark) and who knows what else she may have heard/seen before Ansem sent her to Destiny Islands. Maybe she encountered Subject X before she "disappeared"?

Cumguardian69

Awards
Wat if kairi got proto-norted as a child and connected her heart to subject x, who then was related to the yozora that didnt have his heart swapped with another?

This would make kairi a bridge into the brooding grimdark historically accurate timeline of verum rex while also not cheapening her existence as moms narator.

Because when kairi visits the final world to talk with chirithy, she opens her own a
Heart with namines help, and uncovers those secrets from 10+ years ago.

Omfg that souns really good acrually

pastel.goblin

Awards
I'm only sad about Demyx being lumped in with the from the past characters because I wanted him to be from Fantasia/Symphony of Sorcery like the fanfiction I read forever ago lol.

I really hope there's more female characters in Phase 2 that do stuff separate from Sora and/or Kairi and the others have plots separate from Sora.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding and this is actually what you meant, but the cast is bloated enough as is, and I'd rather they make more of an effort with the female characters we already have than throw in and half ass a couple more. Heck, even if new ones introduced were done better than the current ones I'd be annoyed.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm only sad about Demyx being lumped in with the from the past characters because I wanted him to be from Fantasia/Symphony of Sorcery like the fanfiction I read forever ago lol.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and this is actually what you meant, but the cast is bloated enough as is, and I'd rather they make more of an effort with the female characters we already have than throw in and half ass a couple more. Heck, even if new ones introduced were done better than the current ones I'd be annoyed.
I mean I definitely want them to do more with the female cast that we currently have. But inevitably, we're going to get new characters, so I hope we get more females. I mean Organization XIII was literally 1/13 females - and they did the Organization twice! I guess you can throw Xion in there, but still... it's just kind of glaring that there are so many male characters, even ones that do nothing like Dilan and Aeleus. And the female characters that we do have, a good chunk are just "Kairi". This is probably why no female character in KH can talk to another one without referencing "Sora" or "Roxas".

Foxycian

Awards

That’s true, wish they got character development and their own story that doesn’t involve the boys🤦🏻‍♂️ It was getting tiring, but now looks like we are going in the right direction as kairi’s MoM story is mostly about her past and not about the boys this time but her uncovering the mystery of what she had forgotten.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I agree that it would be better to develop the female cast we already have over introducing new ones.

However it's undeniable how imbalanced the gender ratio has become. Only 5 out of 17 of the cast members celebrating on DI at the end of KH3 are girls.

Also Nomura is showing no signs of slowing down with new original characters.

I mean I definitely want them to do more with the female cast that we currently have. But inevitably, we're going to get new characters, so I hope we get more females. I mean Organization XIII was literally 1/13 females - and they did the Organization twice! I guess you can throw Xion in there, but still... it's just kind of glaring that there are so many male characters, even ones that do nothing like Dilan and Aeleus. And the female characters that we do have, a good chunk are just "Kairi". This is probably why no female character in KH can talk to another one without referencing "Sora" or "Roxas".
Well considering the newest sets of Characters are still not great.
  • 1 out of 4 in the Yozora group is a woman
  • 3 out of 9 in the Dark Road cast are girls. With the third female character only mentioned.
  • 2 out of 7 among the Foretellers are female
  • 4 out of 8 in UX, this is counting Maleficent. Darkness and Player are not included, seeing their genders are still unknown.
My gut feeling is this issue will not be fixed anytime soon.

But i guess that's because this series is pretty much a shonen and this kinda ratio is common there, at least the one's I grew up with.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yeah, I'd much rather they just introduce new female characters that are better than what they've done in the past than try to give the old ones a facelift. Then again, I am fine with them doing more with Larxene now she's a Somebody again, simply because that side of all the Nobodies is sort of like a "new character" we haven't met anyway.

I mean, the game doesn't have to be an exact 50/50 split between female and male characters. It just shouldn't be as lopsided as it is. And that includes things like party members. 1 female party member on the table in a game with 8+ party members available is absurd.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
While I personally would prefer a facelift for the older characters, I do feel we could do with a few more female characters to depict a wider range of what a woman/girl can be.
I'm sure it's no surprise that I personally think there is more you could do with the existing female characters, if given the proper polish and work, but I can somewhat also understand, if others feel it's a bit too late to try and do that.

Honestly I don't think we even have a 30/70 split between female and male characters at this point. Like you said it doesn't have to be perfectly 50/50, but I'd at least like it to be closer to 40/60 that it currently is.

I also completely agree that only having one female party member per game has been an odd choice that needs to stop moving forward, especially now that we can have 2 guest party members per world.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
While I personally would prefer a facelift for the older characters, I do feel we could do with a few more female characters to depict a wider range of what a woman/girl can be.
I'm sure it's no surprise that I personally think there is more you could do with the existing female characters, if given the proper polish and work, but I can somewhat also understand, if others feel it's a bit too late to try and do that.

Honestly I don't think we even have a 30/70 split between female and male characters at this point. Like you said it doesn't have to be perfectly 50/50, but I'd at least like it to be closer to 40/60 that it currently is.

I also completely agree that only having one female party member per game has been an odd choice that needs to stop moving forward, especially now that we can have 2 guest party members per world.
I never understood the 1 female party member per game thing. It was so weird. Maybe it was because of the world choices, but I just never understood it. I'm hoping that in future games we can have Moana, Joy/Sadness, Judy Hopps, Elsa, Kim Possible and others. One of the things that really bugged me about KH3 is that Rapunzel actually leaves the party. I don't care about the limit move, fine get rid of that, but at least let Rapunzel run around with us. It was really weird because it felt like Sora had more of a connection with Rapunzel than Flynn, yet Flynn (the coward) is out fighting with you while Rapunzel is waiting in the kingdom to dance.

The current female cast needs to get some attention where we actually get to know more about them or see them outside of the scope of their male friends. In the case of Namine/Xion, they need to be separated from Sora/Riku/Kairi ASAP and really get more attention on who they are besides tragic characters eternally suffering. I think the smart move would be to do a game with Aqua/Xion/Namine as the focus, that way there's a mega popular character to keep fan attention in Aqua, while also allowing them all time away from their respective trios (and for Namine, actually doing something on her own and not being enslaved or held against her will).

Kairi desperately needs a game where she actually has a goal. For the longest while, it seemed like just a shot of her swinging the keyblade was deemed "good enough", but that's not character development. I'm really hoping that KH3D2 is a game with Riku/Kairi, where they talk about things other than saving Sora. This would be a perfect moment to help Riku's character as well, because he needs a new story arc as well. So I think a game with Kairi/Riku can offer a fresh perspective on both of them, and if it's set around Shibuya, it can also delve into their stories a little more maturely. I would love to hear Kairi actually talk about how it feels to be a being of pure light, while Riku laments on how he felt being overcome by pure darkness.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
When I think about that poll, it really makes me wish we had more female characters that were given important roles. Three spots on the poll were taken up by "Kairi", so to speak (Kairi, Xion and Namine). Which ultimately meant that all three of them had stories revolving around Sora mostly. I really hope there's more female characters in Phase 2 that do stuff separate from Sora and/or Kairi and the others have plots separate from Sora.

I consistently go on a tangent about how KH/Nomura treats the female characters of the series.

I also don't understand why people want new ones, as if that's going to change anything concerning female representation except another few numbers that will be lower than the new allotted male ones.

It's going to be the same old shit as long as Nomura's sexist stance is at the helm. Like, I don't know how much clearer it needs to be.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I consistently go on a tangent about how KH/Nomura treats the female characters of the series.

I also don't understand why people want new ones, as if that's going to change anything concerning female representation except another few numbers that will be lower than the new allotted male ones.

It's going to be the same old shit as long as Nomura's sexist stance is at the helm. Like, I don't know how much clearer it needs to be.
I don't think Nomura is sexist or (at least before KH3) aware that he was writing the female characters poorly. Nomura wrote the story he wanted to tell and ultimately, I don't think it was that he wrote the female characters like crap intentionally, but rather the story just got so out of control. Yes, there are things like the Organization being a ratio of 1/2 females to 13 males, but even then there are a lot of male characters that suffer with nothing (like Aeleus). I think the light is shone on the females more because they are so scarce anyway.

I don't think Nomura is sexist, he just wrote the actual story/execution of the Dark Seeker Saga poorly. My view of this may change if Phase 2 retains the same "mistakes" as Phase 1.

Increasing the number of female characters, even though they may get ignored and written poorly, at least increases the chances that some may get proper treatment. I know it's pathetic to hope for better treatment through increasing the number of female characters. It's better than having more male characters that get ignored and written poorly, that also take away time from the other female characters.

I will say that I think MoM will be revolutionary to the KH series because all the female characters are no longer in peril or trapped, and they all have access to their full abilities (more or less). Nomura had excuses during the Dark Seeker Saga for why certain characters like Kairi couldn't be involved (whether they were good or not, I won't get into that), but now there are no excuses. Which is why I think MoM was a natural game to pop up in the series at this point. In the story world, Kairi can FINALLY do something to find Sora and she actually does. She isn't stranded on an island or "not trained", so I like that Nomura did the logical/natural thing and had Kairi begin the search for Sora or at least be a major part of it.

Back