• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kairi: The Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

pastel.goblin

Awards
I'm hoping Namine works with Kairi/Riku to find Sora, so that when Sora returns he can see Namine and thank her... although, that would end the whole "thank you" thing in a side game and probably cause Namine to get brushed away in KH4
I'd be so sad if this happened, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case and I'm (sort of) mentally prepared for it. At least there's always fanfiction T^T
lol

I didn't mind the pink in her KH2 outfit (it looks super cute on Naminé too lol) she at least still had purple and white accents with only a little black, but I'd like her KH3 outfit better if it was purple and white. She'd likely stick out a fair bit from Sora and Riku but whatever aha.

Pastel pink isn't so bad on her, we know that much. What other colors look good on redheads?

Personally I've never thought pink clothes with red hair look bad (never got the hate for it with Ariel for example) but as to what looks better I still think the purple and white aha. Her KH1 design is possibly my favourite, it was feminine but still looked like something she could run around and fight in. Her later designs just don't seem as practical for it.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
If mom doesn't do anything for kairi then she should be written out of the series. I don't think they should kill her but, she shouldn't be used if she only exists to be a live interest.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
If mom doesn't do anything for kairi then she should be written out of the series. I don't think they should kill her but, she shouldn't be used if she only exists to be a live interest.

I don't like saying this but I agree to an extent. I don't think MOM should be the end all for course correcting her, but I do think that if they can't manage to give her something that makes her more of a character and less of a plot device and love interest in the next few games, she shouldn't be promoted as a main character anymore. It's not worth leading fans on again for another who knows how many year after nearly 20 of nothing.

I like Kairi and I want her to be a good character and she's showed promise, but there is a point where this sort of crap needs to stop.

Soldier

Awards
I really don't get how people can hate Kairi so much. If you all complain that she "hasn't done much" then exactly - how can you hate someone for doing nothing?!

Kairi is far from my top KH character, but she always intrigued me and I was always interested to learn more about her. Sure it took over a decade in real world time, but if you look at the series (storywise), it only took: KH1 > CoM/Days > KH2 > Coded > 3D - 5 games to get to KH3 where she got focus. And in those 5, she's pretty relevant in 2 of them IE the main titles.

My biggest issue with Kairi is that her powers are unexplained. I wish we knew what store Riku purchased Destiny's Embrace at, let alone why he picked that keyblade for her. I don't really like all the flowers as the teeth, but I do like the handle being ocean - which relates to her name. Aside from where her keyblade came from, I really want to know what exactly she can do. She's able to fly around and shoot light energy to kill Master Xehanort... was she able to do this all along or did Merlin teach her this? Because it'd have been really dumb to just leave Kairi on Destiny Islands waiting, when she could do all of that.

I also would like for her to have some sort of character arc that is somewhat unrelated to Sora. Riku had to overcome the darkness in himself (in a way, that was for Sora). I would like Kairi to get something personal, I'm just not sure what because it could take away from the main plot. Unlike Aqua, Namine, and Xion, Kairi's not the type of character to eternally suffer. I think it'd be good to see a female character in KH NOT suffer depression, be forgotten or erased. The easiest journey they can give Kairi is to rescue Sora with Riku. I think it'd be cool to see them have conversations, maybe even dive into why they left Kairi behind. I still feel like the KH3 intro was meaningful in regards to Sora/Kairi always being apart. It seemed to indicate that Master Xehanort was purposefully keeping them apart because something special happens when they are together (which Namine could be a physical manifestation of).
I might be very late to the party on this one, but Riku likely purchased the Destiny's embrace from Spirit of Halloween, which sells them for an exorbinant 40 munny. A bit pricey I know, but it's better than paying 1000 munny for the X blade from Traverse Town's moogle shop.

And that little light magic she's able to use is likely a combination of Merlin's teaching and her connection to Sora, as their team attack features moments involving both of them throughout the series depicted in their feathers. It's been proven that as corny as it sounds, friends and significant others can be someone's powers, and vice versa.

I personally hate how Nomura treats the female cast in these games, be it sending one of them through what is effectively Disney's version of hell, or thanos snapping one out of existence. Is it too late for him to retcon the series and just remake Disney's snow white with Sora and Kairi? I think that'd probably bode well than whatever he's cooking in that head of his.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I cannot believe you just said that. Kairi was there from the start. She is one of the original main characters. Kairi and Sora's relationship is key.

However, I would like them both to have a game where they don't worry about the other. Hopefully there is another Kairi game down the line, where she isn't looking for Sora, but doing something else (maybe searching for Ava with Aqua/Xion/Namine).

I think Sora and Kairi can grow as characters if they take a game or two to do something unrelated to each other.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
I cannot believe you just said that. Kairi was there from the start. She is one of the original main characters. Kairi and Sora's relationship is key.

However, I would like them both to have a game where they don't worry about the other. Hopefully there is another Kairi game down the line, where she isn't looking for Sora, but doing something else (maybe searching for Ava with Aqua/Xion/Namine).

I think Sora and Kairi can grow as characters if they take a game or two to do something unrelated to each other.

See that's part of the problem. Kairi is one of the three main characters yet her entire personality revolves around Sora. While this applies to other characters as well (Riku for example) they at least have a personality that stand out or are proactive to the plot. Kairi has neither of these things. She is as of this writing a walking talking plot device that we're supposed to believe is a main character.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Ser that's part of the problem. Kairi is one of the three main characters yet her entire personality is tied to Sora. While this applies to other characters as well (Riku for example) they at least have a personality that stands out or are proactive to the plot. Kairi has neither of these things. She is as of this writing a walking talking plot device that we're supposed to believe is a main character.
I know that's the problem with Kairi. That's why I want both her and Sora to be "good" - in the sense that no one is dead or trapped on Destiny Islands - and they both have their own tasks to do. Even if they do KH3D2 with Kairi/Riku, it will be about finding Sora. Sure, they can expand Kairi/Riku's friendship, but Kairi will not have any sort of character arc.

I'm hoping that MoM starts a character arc for Kairi. Whether it's finding out more about her past (hopefully not KHUX'ing her) or trying to become a better keyblade wielder, I don't know. I just want her to get a solo game where the plot has nothing to do with Sora. That's why I really want a game with Kairi/Aqua/Xion/Namine where they search for Ava (and Sora is off doing something else).

BassDS

Awards
Kairi is worthless just kill her off. She offers nothing to the franchise. Her glassing was anticlimactic as fuck. She has no relationships with anyone in the franchise hahaha
Oh look, we got a comedian in here.

Quick to forget that everyone would be dead if she didn't hold onto Sora long enough to piece himself in the Final World and hunt down the Lich.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Oh look, we got a comedian in here.

Quick to forget that everyone would be dead if she didn't hold onto Sora long enough to piece himself in the Final World and hunt down the Lich.
Lol. Replace Kairi with Sora's inner desire to protect his team from a party wipe and you get the same result except not tied to a hardened plastic doll.

Remember that Sora's friends are his power, not some dumb girl he rarely if ever interacts with

Foxycian

Awards
Lol. Replace Kairi with Sora's inner desire to protect his team from a party wipe and you get the same result except not tied to a hardened plastic doll.

Remember that Sora's friends are his power, not some dumb girl he rarely if ever interacts with
No offence but that is just dumb, Sora resurrecting himself from the dead just cause power of friendship is just cheap and is just overall BS, kingdom hearts is both square and Disney not Just Disney, at least I could buy into the Kairi saving them cause she is a princess of heart and have this unique mysterious powers.

BassDS

Awards

Except he had already given up at that point; he resigned himself to defeat when the Demon Tide took everyone. So your basis on his 'Inner desire' is pretty much non-existent at that point in the story.

Dumb girl? Yeah, sure, whatever you think.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
The sad thing is cumguardian69 is right about the resurrection thing though I disagree about killing her off. The sadder thing is the localization made things worse. Changing Sora’s line from “as I expected you are strong Kairi” to “You make me feel strong Kairi” was a bad decision.

Snowflake:3

Awards
I care for Kairi. mainly in kingdom hearts 1 and 2, rest KH Games she was Ehh but because I grew with her and because nostalgia playing a major factor I can say I still like her and I can say that I’m happy she got the main focus for once but I think many aren’t making fair argument about her, if Kairi only purpose is to be with Sora then the same apply to Aqua trying to be with terta and Ventus, and not just aqua even Sora had moments where he keeps looking for Riku and Kairi, I guess you can count Ventus too he had parts in his story searching for terra in birth by sleep, the searching for someone or wanting to be with someone isn’t exclusive to Kairi, she may not interest many anymore but she still has the potential to grow

Foxycian

Awards
I don’t know why anyone would suggest that Kairi should either die or be written off, she was part of the series since the beginning, she is the first original female character and also the first original female character to wield a keyblade, she saved both Sora and Riku when they were trapped in the realm of darkness, she has some usefulness in her that’s already a good thing, Kairi already has a place in the story, if you don’t want to see her getting much screen time then sure it’s your opinions but still saying stuff like write her off or kill her is a bit extreme.

Cumguardian69

Awards
I disagree. It's clear Nlmura wants her to be a prop and little else (see: •we SEE she effectively did nothing for almost the entirety of KH3
•we SER she wasn't present for almost the entirety of ReMIND, and when she was it was during a one off redux of Armored Xehanort
•we SEE her immediately falling asleep for a year instead of actively being involved in finding Sora).

In the writing world you can attach plot coupons and convenience to FATE instead of a cardboard cut out character. You can say a character is this and that. But in a video fame, you need ro show the character doing stuff. Grandiose stuff, really, but stuff. Putting the hand on the chest, doing an anime grunt and a kawaii uguu xD face is not enough.

BassDS

Awards
I disagree. It's clear Nlmura wants her to be a prop and little else (see: •we SEE she effectively did nothing for almost the entirety of KH3
•we SER she wasn't present for almost the entirety of ReMIND, and when she was it was during a one off redux of Armored Xehanort
•we SEE her immediately falling asleep for a year instead of actively being involved in finding Sora).

In the writing world you can attach plot coupons and convenience to FATE instead of a cardboard cut out character. You can say a character is this and that. But in a video fame, you need ro show the character doing stuff. Grandiose stuff, really, but stuff. Putting the hand on the chest, doing an anime grunt and a kawaii uguu xD face is not enough.
Oh, and what? Sora gets a free pass for the year he was asleep and did nothing while Riku and Namine worked to reassemble his memories while trying to find a way to stay one step ahead of Xemnas. Pot calling the kettle black, it seems.

Fact is; now that the acrobat circus that's the Dark Seeker saga is over and everyone connected to the man has their personal stories brought to a finish, save for Ven, Nomura's finally able to focus on her like he wanted to back during KHI's development.

Foxycian

Awards
we SEE she effectively did nothing for almost the entirety of KH3
Let’s be honest who other then Sora Donald and Goofy did anything in kh3?

• Riku & Mickey Needed Sora’s help to save Aqua
• Aqua needed Sora’s Help to save Ventus
• Axel Needed Sora’s help to Save Roxas and Xion
• Ventus & Aqua Needed Sora’s help to save Terra
• Kairi Needed Sora to be rescued

barely any of them helped, Kairi wasn’t helpful either but you can’t say she did nothing, she at least saved them all when they died, that’s a bonus for her

she wasn't present for almost the entirety of ReMIND, and when she was it was during a one off redux of Armored Xehanort
Umm she was in scala ad Caelum for a bit, not really important but it’s something

finding Sora is the reason why she’s asleep...

you need ro show the character doing stuff. Grandiose stuff, really, but stuff. Putting the hand on the chest,doing an anime grunt and a kawaii uguu xD face is not enough
You do realize most (if not all) kingdom hearts female characters we have seen always put their hand on their chest right?
Kairi
Namine
Aqua
Xion
Ava
Invi
Strelitzia
Ollete

the only exceptions are
Skuld
Laraxene

Back