• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kairi: The Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
See? This is why a separate character fanclub thread might be a good idea, although honestly who cares?

I'll start.

Kairi needs to wear less pink. Pink does not look good on redheads. That's like asking a blonde to wear yellow. They look like walking strawberries and bananas.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Before Antifa gets in here and calls me a hypocrite, Kairi is great. She just needs some actual development and I hope MOM gives it to her but I know it isn't going to do it properly because I've been let down since 2005/6 so I'm not that hopeful...

See? This is why a separate character fanclub thread might be a good idea, although honestly who cares?

I'll start.

Kairi needs to wear less pink. Pink does not look good on redheads. That's like asking a blonde to wear yellow. They look like walking strawberries and bananas.

We have fan clubs but the section is pretty dead now. It's better to have threads like these in sections like this.

Also I agree. It's why I preferred purple on her. Even blue looked better on her than pink. Maybe if it were a pastel pink like her Super Groupies outfit.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
A Kairi thread? Yeah, there is no way this won't get toxic.

Never the less, I do have something to say. I never had any real big problems with Kairi. I've always been fond of her. She doesn't get the best writing or development, but she does contribute to the series, and I feel she doesn't get enough credit for the things she does. I'm hoping in the future she gets as much spotlight as Riku. ReMind was a step in the right direction and I'm hoping MoM will continue.

Also Manga Kairi is best Kairi.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Never cared for Kairi. I appreciate what they're trying to do now with Melody of Memory but it feels like too little too late, and frankly introducing *TRAUMA* after almost 20 years in order to develop her now just makes me roll my eyes. They should have been able to evolve this character without it.

At this point, I'm so uninterested in Kairi that I'd rather she too be benched to let more interesting people take the stage :p

Also her KH3 design sucks in all renditions, don't @ me.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Amusing title :p

Despite Kairi's wasted potential and mistreatment from Nomura I really don't dislike her. I can only hope she takes on a more proactive role in Phase 2. At least MoM seems like it is setting up a precedent for that.

And assuming she gets a fourth outfit I hope it's better than her KH3 one. Like Sign said it sucks. She looks younger then her actual age, lol

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I really don't get how people can hate Kairi so much. If you all complain that she "hasn't done much" then exactly - how can you hate someone for doing nothing?!

Kairi is far from my top KH character, but she always intrigued me and I was always interested to learn more about her. Sure it took over a decade in real world time, but if you look at the series (storywise), it only took: KH1 > CoM/Days > KH2 > Coded > 3D - 5 games to get to KH3 where she got focus. And in those 5, she's pretty relevant in 2 of them IE the main titles.

My biggest issue with Kairi is that her powers are unexplained. I wish we knew what store Riku purchased Destiny's Embrace at, let alone why he picked that keyblade for her. I don't really like all the flowers as the teeth, but I do like the handle being ocean - which relates to her name. Aside from where her keyblade came from, I really want to know what exactly she can do. She's able to fly around and shoot light energy to kill Master Xehanort... was she able to do this all along or did Merlin teach her this? Because it'd have been really dumb to just leave Kairi on Destiny Islands waiting, when she could do all of that.

I also would like for her to have some sort of character arc that is somewhat unrelated to Sora. Riku had to overcome the darkness in himself (in a way, that was for Sora). I would like Kairi to get something personal, I'm just not sure what because it could take away from the main plot. Unlike Aqua, Namine, and Xion, Kairi's not the type of character to eternally suffer. I think it'd be good to see a female character in KH NOT suffer depression, be forgotten or erased. The easiest journey they can give Kairi is to rescue Sora with Riku. I think it'd be cool to see them have conversations, maybe even dive into why they left Kairi behind. I still feel like the KH3 intro was meaningful in regards to Sora/Kairi always being apart. It seemed to indicate that Master Xehanort was purposefully keeping them apart because something special happens when they are together (which Namine could be a physical manifestation of).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

I'll start.

Kairi in pink during a sunset is just a terrible use of color & yet it keeps happening. I think plum forgot she didn't wear pink in KH1.

GreyouTT

Awards

I'll start.

[Looks down at my yellow shirt]

Good to know I guess.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I kinda wish Kairi would go back to having a white top, but then she'll be stealing Namine's look. Hopefully in the next numbered title, Kairi gets a new look that isn't so pink. I actually like the black elements of her outfit, but the pink is a little too much.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Kairi is the character I am most invested in going forward. I want the world for her and I feel like the series is finally genuinely building her up to take on an important role. Aside from the fridging, I mostly really liked what they did with her in KH3. Her speech about Naminé was a highlight of the game for me and definitely high point for her character. I found it beautiful and touching and a much needed argument made for why these people deserve to have a second chance (when previously Yen Sid only described it as such utilitarianly). I love her friendship with Axel. I love her sass. I love her being a Keyblade Wielder and developing relationships and interactions with characters other than Sora or Riku. I found playing as her in ReMind to be a series highlight and she has one of my favourite fighting styles yet. I like her a lot and I just want her to have more screen time and development. I want to see her go to Disney worlds and get that great interaction that other protagonists have benefited from.

I'm very hopeful for her. Now that she's actually been playable, I feel like the realm of possibility for them to actually treat her well and give her focus has finally opened, a big obstacle cleared. And I look forward to playing the inevitable Kairi/Riku DDDv2 game.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Never cared for Kairi. I appreciate what they're trying to do now with Melody of Memory but it feels like too little too late, and frankly introducing *TRAUMA* after almost 20 years in order to develop her now just makes me roll my eyes. They should have been able to evolve this character without it.

At this point, I'm so uninterested in Kairi that I'd rather she too be benched to let more interesting people take the stage :p

Basically how I feel. I just find it so bizarre how easily many fans swept that under the rug. How can anyone see Kairi’s treatment in this series and not feel the contempt?

20 years...And now he had a role for her? As if.

the red monster

Awards
I always liked kairi.
she's a pretty warm person so it's fun seeing her on the screen, even if she's not the most interesting one out of the bunch.
she was too underused to be relevant enough, but now she is and hopefully they won't ditch her after melody of memory or when sora gets back.

Katsagu

Awards
I like her, and I don't need to see her wrecking the Org XIII to like her. Of course I did enjoy watching her almost wreck xemnas in Re:Mind.

My problem with kairi extends to a problem with the destiny islands trio. They all seem to be close, but apart from KH 1 I don't really see it playing out onscreen, and Kairi gets the shorthand of the stick when Sora is the main protag and Riku an integral part of the 1st game and thus got tons of development afterwards cus of that. And this is something I hope gets fixed going forward. I want to see her with her friends doing stuff.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

You had me until the last. It's actually the first time I've ever liked her design, including KH1.

OrionGold

Awards
Before Antifa gets in here and calls me a hypocrite, Kairi is great. She just needs some actual development and I hope MOM gives it to her but I know it isn't going to do it properly because I've been let down since 2005/6 so I'm not that hopeful...

We have fan clubs but the section is pretty dead now. It's better to have threads like these in sections like this.

Also I agree. It's why I preferred purple on her. Even blue looked better on her than pink. Maybe if it were a pastel pink like her Super Groupies outfit.
It would be great if she went back to wearing purple. I have to admit, as much as like Kairi's later designs, especially KH2, I want a design for Kairi that doesn't designate her as the "girl" of the group in terms of color.

Violet Pluto

Awards
Personally Kairi not being focused on until now is fine to me, despite my many(?) posts defending her. Putting it simply trying to fit her into the story as it is seems hard enough as she doesn't really have a strong connection to the plot and characters of the Xehanort saga besides being thrown out by him after BBS. I can see why Nomura chose her as the one to be killed by Xehanort besides just a reason for Sora, because she's the only one from that battle who didn't have a plot thread that needed to be closed with a villain or growth from a natural problem.

I know that it could have been written differently with her gaining something to fight for beforehand but that would have needed to be set up in a previous game so as not to feel hamfisted and out of no where. The fight that felt justified was her fight in Re:Mind where she's fighting the person who legitimately killed her, and it made sense to have it but it is a result of her death giving her a natural justification for that fight. Anywhere else she doesn't have that justification, in such an important battle.

This is all to say, that if this game will give her a reason and avenue to get involved with the plot as a whole and more characters than just Sora, Riku and somewhat Aqua then I welcome it.
Kairi is far from my top KH character, but she always intrigued me and I was always interested to learn more about her. Sure it took over a decade in real world time, but if you look at the series (storywise), it only took: KH1 > CoM/Days > KH2 > Coded > 3D - 5 games to get to KH3 where she got focus. And in those 5, she's pretty relevant in 2 of them IE the main titles.
I would actually say that her ability to actually influence the story started at the end of 2, so really she had two games that she could have really developed in, and Coded wasn't too relevant to the overall story anyway so you could really say 3D was the only point where she could have broken into. I personally think she should have been there anyway, but outside of that game there was barely any time to spotlight her.
To be absolutely fair, we knew about her past beforehand and this isn't a new development. Plus we don't know if this is for sure going to tackle Trauma or not. The only new part about this that we know is that there may be new information that wasn't privy to us about her previous experience and we get to see how she was thrown to Destiny Islands. Besides that we don't know where the plot will bring her. I don't expect too much from this, the interviews did a good job at balancing my expectations, but hopefully she will start to have a conflict to resolve and thus a better reason to fight (and thus better chances of doing stuff).

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Did I miss something?

Should be a thread about the treatment of female characters in the series or how they don't know what to do with non-fighters (both that began Kairi's issue and now Naminè's taking the dump), just saying.

Back