• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

just a thing

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicodin

relative power
Working on a landscape because I ~suck~ at backgrounds.

2cwvk2s.png

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
It's ok, I can't draw backgrounds either.

The waterfall is looking pretty swell.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
One thing you should change is that large shadow on the dark grey cliff, the one beside the cliff with trees. The edge of the shadow lines up with the edge of the cliff. You wanna try to avoid doing that so you can make sure that they're distinct. Straight lines that meet with one another from separate and distant sources can completely erase whatever depth you're trying to create because it creates an awkward ambiguity between the two grounds (fore/mid, mid/back, fore/back, all three) that looks really gross.

Sorta the same for the two suns. Either put them far enough away from one another, or have them overlap. Overlapping shapes creates a really good sense of depth. Right now I think you have a bit too many lines that "just meet", and it's kind of awkward.

You should also switch the colours between the two pyramids imo, as well as the position. Put the larger one where the small one is and vice versa. I think the composition will look infinitely better. Objects that are farther away tend to be more washed out by the colour of the sky or just washed out in general, which is why I think you should switch the colours. Closer objects have much more saturated colours.

If you can ditch the waterfall for now, work on the background and larger objects first. The larger the object, the more influence it has on the picture. Backgrounds set the overall mood, so you wanna work from the big to small. Waterfall can wait. It's nice, but it's definitely not the centerpiece of this. I would say either the cliff in the foreground with the trees or the closer of the two pyramids should be your focal point.

Last edited:

Vicodin

relative power
I'm just gonna say that a lot of my placement of things is general area. I understand what you mean but it's just the way I work. When I actually render it, it usually changes a little bit, such as colors. Not saying that what you're telling me isn't valid - I just have weird methodology. The suns won't look as close as they are, and the shadow on the cliff spans the whole way. It's just kind of mocking up where colors will be, because there's no way to stay with just that direct color scheme. With that said, here is an update:

2947388.jpg

I suck at cliff faces, just sayin'

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
Well it seems like your methodology is working out well for you, so keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back