• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

June 2012 GameInformer Nomura Interview!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Top of the morning, everyone! It's the start of a new week, and that means the latest issue of GameInformer has begun arriving at retailers and via mail! Have you received your copies yet? I sure hope so, because this issue contains a brand new interview with series director Tetsuya Nomura!

GameInformer: What is the first element you create when starting a new Kingdom Hearts game?
Nomura: "It differs every time, but I usually start with the gameplay mechanics. At the same time, I work on the structure of the story and then flesh it out from there with the gameplay linked to the story."

GameInformer: What was the visual inspiration for the colorful and cute Spirit allies and Nightmare enemies compared to the darker Heartless and Nobodies in the past games?
Nomura: I've always wanted to incorporate a system in which you can turn your enemies into allies. When I decided on having the story take place in the world of dreams, I needed a new category of enemies. That's how I thought about creating new characters that can be added as allies. I had the team apply many different color patterns, keeping in mind that these are fantastical creatures that live in a dream world. Then, I picked the pattern that was the most colorful and stood out the most.

GameInformer: Would you ever want to see a high-definition collections of Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts II similar to the upcoming Final Fantasy X HD remaster?
Nomura: I do have an interest in HD versions, and I'm currently researching them. If it is possible, I would like to do something about the series being spread over so many different consoles, too. I am thinking a lot about the future.

GameInformer: You released Birth by Sleep on PSP. What are your thoughts on the Playstation Vita?
Nomura: We have been invited to make games on different new platforms, and every time we have created titles making sure that they are highly compatible with the platform. The PS Vita is definitely a powerful device that is very interesting, but because of it's high power, there isn't much of a difference with a console. So even if we were to make a game, we would have to be very careful about how to create it for that device. I also feel that it's about time that Kingdom Hearts should go back to being on a console.

GameInformer: What do you say to the segment of Kingdom Hearts fans that believes the increasingly complex storyline of Kingdom Hearts stands at odd with the child-focused Disney element of the franchise?
Nomura: First of all, this series is not intended to be child-focused, and so the complexity of the story is purposefully made prominent. That being said, with a series being around so long, there are a few items I have in mind so that a wider audience range can enjoy the experience. For the time being Dream Drop Distance, there is a new function called Mementos, and in the section called Chronicles, the player can read a summary on each of the titles from the Kingdom Hearts series. Whether you are just starting out or you have played all the games before and need a refresher, it has all of the key information summarized.

GameInformer: In recent interviews you hinted that Dream Drop Distance is the last game before Kingdom Hearts III. Do you see it this way?
Nomura: I'm not able to disclose any information on what's coming next or any other future plans, but you may be able to find a hint if you play through Dream Drop Distance to the very end.

GameInformer: Square Enix has released several iPhone and iPad games both of new franchises and classics. Are you interested in creating Kingdom Hearts game or other titles for IOS?
Nomura: There is something I am working on, but I'm afraid I can't reveal the specifics. I feel that there needs to be progress made on the tablet devices and there should be more games for that platform. I'm not sure which title this would come to pass, but I am researching about IOS as one of the platform options.

GameInformer: How is Final Fantasy Versus XIII coming along? It's been nearly six years since it was announced. Why is this project taking so long to develop?
Nomura: We would like to ask for your patience on an official announcement for this title. It always takes time when tackling the challenge of doing something new, but we are doing our best to bring information to the fans as quickly as we can. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
The way he talks it sounds like he's ready to get started on Kingdom Hearts III. I think he's probably tired of waiting on the Versus XIII team to finish and is just going to let the Osaka team make Kingdom Hearts III. I'm placing my money on that being the next game announced.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I swear every single one of these English interviews are exactly the same.

k99y77

Awards
im guessing the new KH game will be KH3 nomura said in an interview that we should expect a new KH game announcement soon that wont be KH3DFM or BBSV2, and here he said its about time for the series to go back to the consoles, plus its the series' 10th anniversary announcing something like that will please the old fans.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Rofl Nomura. Saying the same stuff over. Well, at least we know he knows there is an issue with games being on all kinds of systems and that it is time to return to home consoles. I do miss playing KH in front of a tv.

.Oji

赤いテキスト
I swear every single one of these English interviews are exactly the same.

So true. xD

Nomura interviews tend to feel very copy-paste-ish—not sure why I look forward to them so much.

Nomura: There is something I am working on, but I'm afraid I can't reveal the specifics. I feel that there needs to be progress made on the tablet devices and there should be more games for that platform. I'm not sure which title this would come to pass, but I am researching about IOS as one of the platform options.

How funny would it be if the 'mystery game' people are clamoring about ends up being a title for IOS? xD

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
im guessing the new KH game will be KH3 nomura said in an interview that we should expect a new KH game announcement soon that wont be KH3DFM or BBSV2, and here he said its about time for the series to go back to the consoles, plus its the series' 10th anniversary announcing something like that will please the old fans.

I should feel bad for fans who skipped 358/2 Days, BBS, Coded, and KH3D because they thought they were side games. They're going to be so confused when they play Kingdom Hearts III. But really if they could afford the handheld systems and they skipped them simply because they assumed their side games, well its their own damn fault.

Hopefully though Nomura will find some way to incoporate all this information into an HD Collection so everyone is caught up.

k99y77

Awards
Rofl Nomura. Saying the same stuff over. Well, at leat we know he knows there is an issue with games being on all kinds of systems and that it is time to return to home consoles. I do miss playing KH in front of a tv.
i cant agree with you more even if the game won't be KH3, its nice to see its going back to its console roots.

I should feel bad for fans who skipped 358/2 Days, BBS, Coded, and KH3D because they thought they were side games. They're going to be so confused when they play Kingdom Hearts III. But really if they could afford the handheld systems and they skipped them simply because they assumed their side games, well its their own damn fault.

Hopefully though Nomura will find some way to incoporate all this information into an HD Collection so everyone is caught up
tbh i never played KHCOM but i still managed to understand the story of KH2 because most thing that happened in that game were explained in KH2's intro.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
How funny would it be if the 'mystery game' people are clamoring about ends up being a title for IOS? xD

Rofl first everybody would rage, then all of the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch kids would rejoice! (like me) but then people with older model iPhone/iPod Touch would rage since most games coming out aren't compatible xD

daken

I also feel that it's about time that Kingdom Hearts should go back to being on a console.

This sounds like good news that they want to start on KHIII, but probably on the Wii U: KH would look kinda weird in FFXIII- esque graphics.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
This sounds like good news that they want to start on KHIII, but probably on the Wii U: KH would look kinda weird in FFXIII- esque graphics.

Oh God no. I would much rather see KH3 with PS3 graphics, especially after seeing KH3D's opening.

k99y77

Awards
i do agree that KH might not look the same in HD graphics but im pretty sure it will be worse than FFXIII, look at KH2 and FFX, FFX had way better graphics than KH2 even though it was 5 years older

Zaraki_Kenpachi

Well there's no doubt now, the next game is really KH3.

How can people think that the console game will be on WiiU. It'll be on PS3 exclusively. Just like it never came out on GameCube or even the Wii, it won't come out on WiiU.

Regarding the HD releases, it should be done until next year. Or at least 1 year before KH3 comes out. That way people who want to play and understand the series better can do it in new generation consoles.

When he says that he'd like to have the portable games on consoles, that makes me think he wants to have all of them in HD remaster and on WiiU as well, since 2 of them belong to Nintendo consoles.

But honestly the only one I'd like to play in a console would be BBS.

I honestly hope that they can deliver HD releases of the games soon. I want to play them again but with some better graphics :D

Since his next game is bound to be Versus XIII the one after that has to be KH3. And I would be shocked if the game had worse graphics than that game.

But this might also be Disneys's hands on it. They don't like to have their characters changed a lot. And they like to keep things with a "clean" aspect.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
i do agree that KH might not look the same in HD graphics but im pretty sure it will be worse than FFXIII, look at KH2 and FFX, FFX had way better graphics than KH2 even though it was 5 years older

Are you kidding me? KH2 had much better graphics than FFX. FFX was rough around the edges, there was alot more fish faces, and the characters looked more stiff. KH2's graphics were better than FFX's graphics.

Look KH3 with PS3 graphics isn't going to look exactly like FFXIII. FFXIII can make all the characters look very realistic. KH3 will have Disney Characters, so while KH3 will have PS3 graphics it will probably be done in a different style than any other Square Enix title for PS3 or 360. A style that will make the Disney characters look good on PS3. I trust Square Enix to get that right, because if there is one area Square Enix excells at it is graphics.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
No laughter?

I do have an interest in HD versions, and I'm currently researching them. If it is possible, I would like to do something about the series being spread over so many different consoles, too. I am thinking a lot about the future.
[video=youtube;7lfqZmPkbvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfqZmPkbvM[/video]

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No laughter?

I'm betting Game Informer just didn't transcribe the laughter. There was probably a wry laugh after he talked about the games being spread out on consoles, and probably after the "can't talk about anything" for future KH games but we should play the game to completion and we'll figure it out.

wwinterj

Happy to see this. A HD remake of handheld titles would be great as I'm missing quite a few of them simply because I refuse to buy a system just for one game. While Kingdom Hearts 3 for consoles could be the next game in the series I wouldn't be shocked if it was a game for the Vita.

megatron532

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm betting we'll be getting some sort of HD Collection on PSN for Vita and PS3 next year with Final Mix versions of the games, and then Kingdom Hearts III 2014, because Nomura seems like he's getting sick of waiting.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
GameInformer: Square Enix has released several iPhone and iPad games both of new franchises and classics. Are you interested in creating Kingdom Hearts game or other titles for IOS?
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This would be the absolute worst for me, because I'll never have the money for something like this. My freaking Ipod is still from like, 2005.

edit: I'd be cool with a Re:Coded situation though, where they initially release the game through this type of platform and then remake it for people who couldn't access the platform. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back