• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Judge refuses to dismiss a lawsuit against J.K. Rowling

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
A British judge refused to dismiss a plagiarism lawsuit against "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling on Thursday, saying claims that the best-selling author stole ideas from an obscure fantasy book deserved to be considered at a proper hearing.

Rowling and her publishers, Bloomsbury Publishing PLC, had applied to court for the case to be immediately dismissed, saying the copyright infringement claims brought by the estate of the late author Adrian Jacobs had no real chance of succeeding.

But Justice David Kitchin ruled that the claims, brought by Jacobs' estate trustee Paul Allen, had a chance of success -- although he described this as being "improbable."

"I do not feel able at this stage to say that Mr. Allen's case is so bad that I can properly describe it as fanciful," the judge said.

The lawsuit alleges that Rowling's fourth book in her blockbuster series, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," copied substantial parts of Jacobs' 1987 book, "The Adventures of Willy the Wizard -- No. 1 Livid Land." Jacobs died in London in 1997.

Rowling has called the claims unfounded and absurd, saying she only learned of Jacobs' 16-page volume in 2004. She has also said the idea for the "Harry Potter" series first came to her in 1990 during a train journey.

Her lawyers argue that "Willy" and "Goblet of Fire" are not similar except at the most general level, and that any similarities only arose by chance.

The seven Harry Potter books have sold more than 400 million copies and spawned a hit movie franchise and a theme park. Forbes magazine has ranked Rowling as one of the richest women in Britain, with an estimated wealth of $1 billion.

A one-day hearing will be scheduled to consider the case, Kitchin said. He ordered that Allen pay money into court as security for the costs of the case.

A lawyer representing Allen said he was delighted that the case can go forward.

"If the claim does proceed, then J.K. Rowling and Bloomsbury will be required to explain how the similarities between the two works came about, when to date there has been a refusal to disclose key manuscripts and notebooks," said Allen's lawyer Nick Kounoupias.

Rowling has hinted that she may yet write another novel in her popular series. In a recent interview with Oprah Winfrey, she said the characters are still in her head and she "could definitely" write several new books about them.
Seriously? I think it's all just coincidence. And someone trying to make a quick buck by suing a rich famous author.

Judge refuses to dismiss suit against J.K. Rowling - BusinessWeek

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
lol, well, I suppose it's the judge's duty to play it fairly no matter how absurd the case is. she'll probably be let off. :/

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I personally think this is retarded being the huge Rowling fan I am.

Anyway, I think it's just a coincidence -_-

Gram

Banned
Awards
lol i was just watching a harry potter thing on biography channel.
anyway its just someones way of gettting some money cause there book sucked by attacking a rich author.

AxelYoYo

RAWR
Awards
^exactly. HARRY POTTER WILL COME OUT OF THE BOOK AND KILL THAT PERSON. with a WAND >:D

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
Oh god. I just lol'd so hard. I misread that as "with a WANK in the eye"

Aria

braver by the minute
lol, well, I suppose it's the judge's duty to play it fairly no matter how absurd the case is. she'll probably be let off. :/

That's what I was thinking. I highly doubt she'll lose the case.

impart

Climb The Sky
yeah that's a load of bull

people are always trying to sue her. poor J.K. Rowling :[ it must be such a pain

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
J.K. stole ideas from someone else? Yep sounds about right.

Last edited:

AxelYoYo

RAWR
Awards
J.K has been making the Harry Potter series,since what,2005? They didn't acuse her of stealing then. Now,since she's making money,they're trying to sue her.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards
Really hard to make copyright infringement against Rowling. Really, really hard.

Also, its not impossible that it was a coincidence. Two comics called Dennis the Menace were published around the same time and was proven neither was copying the other due to obvious circumstances.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Oh puh-lease, Rowling is far too genius to have to resort to any kind of copyrighting. But really, the book is 16 pages, it seems odd that she could derive and copy so much from a book that's 16 pages long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back