• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

JPGames: Melody of Memory is a Kingdom Hearts game first, a music game second

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

German magazine JPGames had the opportunity to speak to KINGDOM HEARTS Melody of Memory Director Masanobu Suzui and Producer Ichiro Hazama about the upcoming rhythm game.

Update 9/10/2020: JPGames's interview stated that there would be songs from original Disney works that haven't been used in the KH series. However, due to contracting reports, we have determined this was a miscommunication and does not accurately reflect the contents of the game.

Although many are ecstatic that the Kingdom Hearts series is finally getting a rhythm game, others are not quite as pleased about the inclusion of important story elements. As it turns out, this decision was made by Director Tetsuya Nomura, who felt that Melody of Memory is a Kingdom Hearts title first and a music game second. Kingdom Hearts games always have a story to tell, and Melody of Memory is no different.

Being a rhythm game, fans can look forward to playing through the series' greatest hits, but will there be any new arrangements available, and if so, who would be responsible for those tracks? The answer to that is Composer Yoko Shimomura. She has composed new songs for the title menu (referring to Dearly Beloved) and the staff credits, so please look forward to it. And as for the arrangements, while there won't be any new ones, some songs have been chosen from album releases so there won't just be selections from the original soundtracks.

Melody of Memory is the first game in the series to be released on Nintendo Switch, and will include a local multiplayer mode for up to 8 players. In this mode, everyone plays the same songs and those who miss a note are eliminated. The winner is the last player standing.

Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X are slated to launch this holiday season. However, there are currently no plans for a next-gen release of Melody of Memory.

Read the full interview on JPGames!

Last edited by a moderator:

AR829038

Awards
Well, now THIS is unexpected. I wonder if that means we'll be getting actual songs from the movies. And I wonder which ones specifically they'll choose.

Xagzan

Awards
Zero to Hero please?

I'm not gonna hold out hope for Everybody Wants to be a Cat but maaaaan that'd be sweet.

As it turns out, this decision was made by Director Tetsuya Nomura

This is my surprised face

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Added a disclaimer. Including Disney songs that weren't already in KH makes no sense to me since they've already had to exclude so many original songs as is, but if that's what JPGames is saying...

Last edited:

AegisXIII

Awards
Actually no plan means: next year. That's what happened with the Xbox remixes.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It could as well. But I was reacting to the no plan for ps5.

Oh, I see. My eyes skipped over that part because it was a big eye roller to me. The XB Series X is backwards compatible so it’ll play MOM regardless. PS5 is mostly backwards compatible so it’ll likely be able to play it as well. They won’t need to do a next-gen release because of that.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Thanks @Sephiroth0812 for verifying about Disney songs <3

Sorry everyone for the constant edits lol

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Zero to Hero please?
Yes, please I'd love to be able to play through some of Disney's best musical numbers.

Edit: Just read the article myself and they confirm that songs outside of the game will be included that's exciting but makes them not doing DLC even more confusing.

They didn't seem too thrilled with the interviewer asking about it being kind of amusing that Sora and Co. are flying over tragic death scenes, guess they hadn't really considered the dissonance fans might feel at that sight. I also find it interesting how they emphasized that Sora is dropping/falling through these memories of Kairi and not flying.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
To be honest I was surprised about the fact that they'll feature songs from Disney movies/KH Disney worlds that haven't been featured in an actual KH game yet considering the general song limit, but that's what the German article says. 😄

AegisXIII

Awards
Oh, I see. My eyes skipped over that part because it was a big eye roller to me. The XB Series X is backwards compatible so it’ll play MOM regardless. PS5 is mostly backwards compatible so it’ll likely be able to play it as well. They won’t need to do a next-gen release because of that.
I am not worried about that. I can smell the KH3.5 coming for next gen. 😆

disney233

Awards
Songs outside of the series? There're so many possibilities. Corona might have a redemption in putting Kingdom Dance, or I See the Light....AND THEN THERE'S THE IDEA OF HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME SONGS, Zero to Hero, Friend Like Me, I'll Make a Man Out of You, BE OUT GUEST, KIDNAP THE SANDY CLAWS?! THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS WHEN IT COMES TO THE SONGS FROM THE MOST MONEY GRUBBING COMPANY IN THE WORLD!

.......O god, now that's right...this is Disney we're talking about. I'm frightened.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules. Please something from Hercules.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
So there will be original Disney songs in the game not from Kingdom Hearts? Hmm, maybe I'll get Hellfire after all. Very excited to see where they would put these songs in. I bet Frozen's entire soundtrack is in this.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
So there will be original Disney songs in the game not from Kingdom Hearts? Hmm, maybe I'll get Hellfire after all. Very excited to see where they would put these songs in. I bet Frozen's entire soundtrack is in this.
Hellfire is definitely on the list of songs I'd want. Maybe we should make a thread for people to list their song picks per world?

I really hope Let It Go is the only frozen song in it, (I'd also take Into the Unknown, but those events hasn't happened yet). It's a shame that Moana hasn't appeared yet, would love to play one of it's great songs.

Katsagu

Awards
I find it strange they didn't market this like at all then. Sure Let it go appears on a trailer, but that appeared on KH 3 and it's the KH3 cutscenes playing.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I find it strange they didn't market this like at all then. Sure Let it go appears on a trailer, but that appeared on KH 3 and it's the KH3 cutscenes playing.
It may have been a miscommunication since JPGames had to conduct this interview by translating German > English > Japanese and back. Something could have gotten lost in the process, so we've reached out to them to verify.

Back