• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Joker (2019) - “Put on a happy face”

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

redcrown

Awards
Am I the only one genuinely excited for this film? The fact that this film is a small character study instead of some superhero epic adds more points to this movie being good imo. Psychological dramas of troubled individuals played by good actors are my jam. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

As for people who think films and stories like this shouldn't be made so certain people won't be influenced; the kind of people who would look up to these kind of characters as heros and try to emulate them would already have that pathology and mindset within them regardless of movies like this being made. Films about disturbed people don't in themselves encourage anyone to imitate them, they only show a portrait of who they are.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Am I the only one genuinely excited for this film? The fact that this film is a small character study instead of some superhero epic adds more points to this movie being good imo. Psychological dramas of troubled individuals played by good actors are my jam. I'm looking forward to seeing this.

As for people who think films and stories like this shouldn't be made so certain people won't be influenced; the kind of people who would look up to these kind of characters as heros and try to emulate them would already have that pathology and mindset within them regardless of movies like this being made. Films about disturbed people don't in themselves encourage anyone to imitate them, they only show a portrait of who they are.
I was excited for this film BECAUSE it is a case study! So you're not alone, haha.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see Arthur's downfall into Joker.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards

I don't know if anyone trusts reviews or not. I mean for me, I'm actually excited on how this will turn out. Even if it may not actually be a great film, I'm sort of excited. I'm very curious if this performance may be just as good/better than Heath Ledger's.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
yea I wouldn’t take that review seriously. All that means to me is that it’s a great movie and worth seeing. But at the end of the day, you’re rating will (or won’t) match their score.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
yea I wouldn’t take that review seriously. All that means to me is that it’s a great movie and worth seeing. But at the end of the day, you’re rating will (or won’t) match their score.
Which is exactly true. There have been movies lately that have a low rating that I quite enjoyed. Still wanted to put it here if anyone cared to see, maybe get more people interested in seeing it? Just whatever benefit it can come from it.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
The film isn't a cookie cutter, comic book-based movie, tho. It's sorta like a case study.

Oh no, I agree with you; I believe the Golden Lion may have been well earned. But it's still rare for a movie based off comic book material to come off so ambitious. Keep in mind, this is from the director of The Hangover.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Oh no, I agree with you; I believe the Golden Lion may have been well earned. But it's still rare for a movie based off comic book material to come off so ambitious. Keep in mind, this is from the director of The Hangover.
Really? The only director I follow is Tarantino, so that's news to me. Thanks for sharing! Haha. And I mean, Joker has always been an interesting "villain", it's just that this film take a more "examination" approach towards him.

Also, there is A LOT of buzz for a Batman Vs. Joker film, but this Joker isn't a villain.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
The movie is a 7/10 at best for me. My gripes are with how the movie is structured. The second hour of the movie is far better.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Okay, I had originally made a very long post about society as a whole and their behavior, but I'm just gonna say that, even though I did not agree with Oracle's perception of what may have happened with the release of Joker, I do understand and appreciate her preoccupation with the effect of the idolatration of a relatable sociopath could have on society as a whole. It's actually a point addressed in the movie itself: society gathered over the symbol of a clown to make riot because they're tired. We aren't living in good times. This can actually happen. Imagine a vigilante comes out of nowhere and decides to kill Wall Street execs under the idea of "fuck the rich". This could become a society-backed murderer.

Also, when I said "we aren't living in good times", I did not mean that economically. I am one that thinks that social media has produced toxic effects on people's mental health. Millions of people consume social media every single day. Joker's Arthur Fleck could be multiplied by millions, which is why we need to be careful how we consume our social media.

D

Deleted member 246005

I saw it recently and liked it.

I thought these two videos were good takes on Joker and it's effect on pop culture.

OneDandelion

Awards
Best film that's come out of Hollywood since La La Land in my opinion. I would not call it a batman movie in any way though, I agree with Ballad of Caius that its a case study - the elements of batman that are inserted into the film are only done so to help propagate its theme.

Every shot of the movie is filmed in such a way that you can't be sure if its real or not. This includes (you might say in particular) the "batman" scenes where he visits Wayne manor or finds Thomas Wayne in the bathroom. You can say these scenes happened, or maybe they didn't, or perhaps they happened in a way that Arthur did not accurately perceive.

For example, some theories say that Arthur read batman comics as a boy, that his mother's letters to Thomas Wayne were actually written to someone else, that he imagined the visit or else the boy "Bruce Wayne", imagined his meeting with Thomas Wayne, subconsciously donned the mask of the Joker because he read about them in comics, etc...

In most movies this sort of thing would probably lead to a plot that is very disjointed in confusing, and Joker definitely can be if you really look into it and try to sort what was real and what wasn't, but none of that really matters because the core message is made extremely clear: people have limits and they will eventually crack if they are abused and taken advantage of long enough.

Movie was a 10/10 for me. Story concept, cinematography, music score were all perfect and Joaquin Phoenix 100% deserves that Oscar.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Best film that's come out of Hollywood since La La Land in my opinion. I would not call it a batman movie in any way though, I agree with Ballad of Caius that its a case study - the elements of batman that are inserted into the film are only done so to help propagate its theme.

Every shot of the movie is filmed in such a way that you can't be sure if its real or not. This includes (you might say in particular) the "batman" scenes where he visits Wayne manor or finds Thomas Wayne in the bathroom. You can say these scenes happened, or maybe they didn't, or perhaps they happened in a way that Arthur did not accurately perceive.

For example, some theories say that Arthur read batman comics as a boy, that his mother's letters to Thomas Wayne were actually written to someone else, that he imagined the visit or else the boy "Bruce Wayne", imagined his meeting with Thomas Wayne, subconsciously donned the mask of the Joker because he read about them in comics, etc...

In most movies this sort of thing would probably lead to a plot that is very disjointed in confusing, and Joker definitely can be if you really look into it and try to sort what was real and what wasn't, but none of that really matters because the core message is made extremely clear: people have limits and they will eventually crack if they are abused and taken advantage of long enough.

Movie was a 10/10 for me. Story concept, cinematography, music score were all perfect and Joaquin Phoenix 100% deserves that Oscar.
After watching the film a second time, I'm inclined to believe that everything that happened after Joker "shot" the Wayne Industries boys was a lie, starting with the shot. Look closely at the scene. They're kicking Arthur, and all of a sudden, he shoots them. We don't see him grab the gun or anything, he just shoots them.

And those scenes with the Wayne family could be Fleck looking for what he yearns: family. He goes to Bruce because he's like a younger brother. He goes to Thomas because he's a father figure.

OneDandelion

Awards
After watching the film a second time, I'm inclined to believe that everything that happened after Joker "shot" the Wayne Industries boys was a lie, starting with the shot. Look closely at the scene. They're kicking Arthur, and all of a sudden, he shoots them. We don't see him grab the gun or anything, he just shoots them.

And those scenes with the Wayne family could be Fleck looking for what he yearns: family. He goes to Bruce because he's like a younger brother. He goes to Thomas because he's a father figure.
Entirely possible, I rewatched it in theaters a second time and I came up with an idea that every time you hear the loud bass sound when Arthur’s upset is an indicator that what was happening was real.

The cinematography of him going up and down the steps also serves as a great metaphor of the burden he has to constantly rise to the expectations of the people around him, and his final descent as a clown into madness. Tons of great imagery in this film

Back