• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Joker (2019) - “Put on a happy face”

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Great trailer.

I actually feel bad for "Arthur". Especially the part were those kids hit him with the sign he was spinning :(. I know from experience what it's like to he harrassed at those types of jobs

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
So... Joker gets bullied into becoming the Joker? And then kills a bunch of people? I'm not entirely sure this is the kind of narrative we need out there in the world. Not only that but Joker works better with a bit of mystery behind him imo.

And the thought of white dudes thinking they're edgy for wearing the memorabilia from this film is already making my eyes cross.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
So... Joker gets bullied into becoming the Joker? And then kills a bunch of people? I'm not entirely sure this is the kind of narrative we need out there in the world. Not only that but Joker works better with a bit of mystery behind him imo.

And the thought of white dudes thinking they're edgy for wearing the memorabilia from this film is already making my eyes cross.

WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY. GAMERS RISE UP.

Oh man, I can imagine the smell of ball-sweat already.

I actually think the movie looks interesting. Definitely will be checking it out.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

Isn't the premise of the Joker's madness that "just one bad day can make anyone crazy"? If so, then I don't see the problem with the narrative. And honestly, if we have to tone down narrative for the sake of society, then we have a problem that we're not addressing.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
As with all sensitive subjects, mental illness is something that has to be handled with caution and good taste, especially with it growing as a modern first-world problem. Having a movie dive into the subject is better than ignoring it altogether, but there is a fine line between commentary and glorification. When your protagonist is the Joker of all people, that line becomes almost invisible. Even so, I believe it is the responsibility of the filmmakers to understand which side this film will land and produce a respectful film.

All things considered though, I am looking forward to this love child of The Killing Joke and Taxi Driver.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I agree with you but honestly these kind of people latch onto anything they even see the slightest hints of themselves in, and isn’t it pathetic that they feel a connection to a villainous, homicidal clown with no redeeming qualities?

SoulXaldin

Awards
I thought this trailer was okay, pretty neat stuff.

What does them being white have to do with anythin??

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What does them being white have to do with anythin??

Do you really want to get into a debate about white nationalism/alt-right/incel culture and how those types of people will be drawn to and latch on to the Joker and how the majority of those people are indeed white? I can assure you this will begin and end with the stats proving this point.

And I can assure you Raz doesn’t mean all white people so please avoid the “but not all white people are like that” argument because that is a distraction to avoid thinking about Raz’s point.

Have I succinctly summed up this discussion?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Aren't you a Psychology Major, Spock? You're pretty much more in the know of this subject than us, so I pretty much concur with your notion (not just because of your word, but because, y'know, those type of people tend to be very vocal).

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I want this Joker to practice the katana on his old fedora and yell at his mom when he's playing his Xbox with a cheetoh stained mouth and hugging his body-pillow.

Anyway, I do believe we've already seen a better Joker than Jared's depiction, so I'm excited. I was never too crazy

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I'm not that interested, seems like a rental for me. I really hope most of what we see in the movie is a lie concocted by the Joker to seem sympathetic. It would be interesting if they purposely make things contradict so the audience knows that the Joker is manipulative.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think Jared Leto's Joker is the worst Joker. He feels like a forced Millennial/Zennial. But the attention to detail that Joaquin is giving the Joker is on par, or maybe even better, than Ledger's.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I didn't mind the trailer, but it didn't "wow" me. I think I'm with Absent on renting it, or watching it during matinee.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I think Jared Leto's Joker is the worst Joker. He feels like a forced Millennial/Zennial.

But Ballad... he has "Damaged" written on his forehead. It's a metaphor for him being... err... damaged in the forehead! Surely that makes Jared Leto's iteration the pinnacle of who the Joker really is?! RIGHT!!!

But seriously, I love everything about this. DC is at its best when it actually tackles dark elements instead of just placing a dark filter on the camera and trying to do diet Marvel Studios.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Leto's Joker was supposed to take heavy inspiration from Latino gang culture, which tends to be familiar grounds for David Ayer; a more pompous "clown prince of crime," if you will. Had they focused more on Joker's abusive relationship with Harley (as originally planned), there would have been an interesting crossover between gang culture and domestic abuse. Ultimately, it was a massive disservice to both their characters when they decided to cut out all of that material.

Phoenix's Joker clearly puts more emphasis on who Arthur is, as well as the crumbling wall between him and the Joker; the way he talks about it, the movie may actually resemble a horror story, which seems like the best way to approach the character.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think the movie is a case study that will tackle a lot of issues:
* How having ONE bad day can seriously mess you up in the head, or rather, even further.
* The effects of society's indifference towards the individual in terms of not pushing a person to its limits out of petty differences.
* A cult to personality, which may be why Joker has following.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
New trailer is out. It looks so raw and real. I definitely gotta see this.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I was more impressed by the teaser with Joaquin Phoenix and the first trailer than by this second one. It's a good trailer, but meh.

Back