• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Japanese Gov. Launches "Manga/Anime Guardians Project"(may suck for you if you read off scanlations)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esso

Fire Breaker
Japanese Gov. Launches "Manga/Anime Guardians Project"(may suck for you if you read off scanlations)

The Japanese government, along with 15 anime production companies and manga publishers, will initiate an anti-piracy campaign, focusing predominately on China, next month. The Cultural Affairs Agency estimates a loss of 560 billion (about US$5.5 billion) yen to Chinese piracy in major cities in 2012. The Ministry of Economy estimated damages of two trillion yen (US$19.6 billion) from America in 2013.

The enforcement will begin on Friday and span five months. It will cover 500 manga titles and 80 anime titles with online reading, storage, video sharing, and torrent sites marked as specific targets. The companies and government will begin sending requests for content removal on Friday to about 580 identified violators.

The companies involved, as well as Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA), and Tokyo Otaku Mode also started the "Manga Anime Guardians" project (MAG) in order to protect manga and anime content overseas. The project's website, which opened on Wednesday, provides a search engine for manga and anime titles and then directs users to legal avenues to obtain them.
Anime Production Companies, Manga Publishers Crack Down on Piracy - News - Anime News Network
Crunchyroll - Details of Japanese Government's "Manga-Anime Guardians Project"

As much as I support this, I just hope more can be done to increase legal availability in exchange soon. What are your thoughts?

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Re: Japanese Gov. Launches "Manga/Anime Guardians Project"(may suck for you if you read off scanlati

I get what they're trying to do, but there are some titles that simply won't ever be brought over here and it's pretty much the only way to read them.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Re: Japanese Gov. Launches "Manga/Anime Guardians Project"(may suck for you if you read off scanlati

Well, I should have been staying somewhat official long ago, but this does mean some sites I follow will be gone in the morning. Now I really need some money for accounts on CR and Hulu.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

I'm cool it. I don't really look at scans unless I need a reference and I don't think I've ever watch anime illegally. (Wait, I think there was a couple times, once to catch up on something I've already watched legally and I think a couples times when I missed an episode on TV.)

Though like what Pinwheel said, some things simply do not get published over here and the only way to read them is through scans. So they should also work on making more stuff getting released legally.

Last edited:

Esso

Fire Breaker

I get what they're trying to do, but there are some titles that simply won't ever be brought over here and it's pretty much the only way to read them.
That's the sad reality. I'm just hanging on to a small glimmer of hope that Crunchyroll Manga might be able to do something about this. Sucks even more the number of Funimation titles I can't watch on Crunchyroll in my country outside the States. Hulu is out of the question since it is unavailable to me where I live.
Well, I should have been staying somewhat official long ago, but this does mean some sites I follow will be gone in the morning. Now I really need some money for accounts on CR and Hulu.
You can still watch a good amount of anime for free on Crunchyroll with a free membership btw, just that without a premium membership you have to wait a week longer for latest episodes of ongoing shows they stream in your country. Crunchyroll manga is an awesome feature for reading all the manga in their catalogue with a small subscription fee.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I've been watching most of my anime legally for awhile, but when some stuff is stuck behind paywalls and you already pay for two other video services just to be able to watch this stuff legally on top of paying for cable, it's really inconvenient to try and use ALL legal sites that don't offer free streaming.

Same goes for manga. If I can't buy it and there is no hope to ever get my hands on it without improving my Japanese fluency, I'm obviously going to read it online.

Not to mention series that just will never be licensed by anybody in the west. What other option do fans have when that is the case?

It's a good thing to do, definitely. These companies and creators should have complete control of their work, but right now the legal routes to access these shows are extremely limited. What about people in countries where the series isn't licensed out, have no access to these series via any physical or digital legal means? What do they plan to do to fix that issue?

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

That's the sad reality. I'm just hanging on to a small glimmer of hope that Crunchyroll Manga might be able to do something about this. Sucks even more the number of Funimation titles I can't watch on Crunchyroll in my country outside the States. Hulu is out of the question since it is unavailable to me where I live.

You can still watch a good amount of anime for free on Crunchyroll with a free membership btw, just that without a premium membership you have to wait a week longer for latest episodes of ongoing shows they stream in your country. Crunchyroll manga is an awesome feature for reading all the manga in their catalogue with a small subscription fee.

I have one, just not the premium account. i do want to, once my mom's money issues are squared away, because I pay my mother's and sister's rent every month.

Plus, the only manga I follow is Fairy Tail, and all my anime I can find on legal streaming sites.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards

As I understand it, it's unlikely to affect any of us anyway. While they're targeting a lot of sites, most of them are based in China or in places that the sites we frequently use aren't really hosted in.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

As I understand it, it's unlikely to affect any of us anyway. While they're targeting a lot of sites, most of them are based in China or in places that the sites we frequently use aren't really hosted in.

Hmm, core examples if you can?

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards

I would expect them to widen their targets in the future though, especially if they see immediate results. I still remember when they got onemanga.com and how that was a big deal

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

I would expect them to widen their targets in the future though, especially if they see immediate results. I still remember when they got onemanga.com and how that was a big deal

I'm a noob to this stuff,, but what happend to that, I never heard of one manga.

Esso

Fire Breaker

I'm a noob to this stuff,, but what happend to that, I never heard of one manga.
Basically a frequently visiting scanlation-hosting site that got shut down by publishers several years ago, not solely for publisher starting to take a stance against scanlations at the time but I think cases where minors found seeing mature content on the site played a role somewhat too as far as I recall. There was also stuff going on in a scanlation site called MangaStream too in the past.

OathkeeperRoxas XIII

Silver Member
Website
www.fanfiction.net

Basically a frequently visiting scanlation-hosting site that got shut down by publishers several years ago, not solely for publisher starting to take a stance against scanlations at the time but I think cases where minors found seeing mature content on the site played a role somewhat too as far as I recall. There was also stuff going on in a scanlation site called MangaStream too in the past.

Whoa, Mangastream once allowed it.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

I'd almost entirely forgotten about onemanga honestly. I did discover a few decent manga by hitting their random selection button though. Not to say I miss them though, there are plenty of good sites about now that are much better.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards

I don't blame them for wanting to have anime and manga viewed legally but as others have said for titles that take a long while to get translated or not at all there isn't really a whole lot of choices than to find them online.

Esso

Fire Breaker

I don't blame them for wanting to have anime and manga viewed legally but as others have said for titles that take a long while to get translated or not at all there isn't really a whole lot of choices than to find them online.
Some reasons why some manga and anime may not always make it over here doesn't seem to be translation, but a large part of it has to do with how different the Western market is compared to Eastern too. Some titles that are monstrous hits in Japan (Haruhi, Lucky Star) may not end up having as satisfactory results over here considering how niche the anime and manga market is in the West (though not to the point of dying IMO, it totally would be if everyone pirated anime and manga), so careful consideration has to be taken before picking up said title if it seems like it can sell well due to licensing costs. There are rare examples where a mangaka or an agent does not want to cooperate with a Western licensor due to personal reasons and music rights can get in the way (Symphogear), like how Vertical currently can't get the rights to Saint Young Men due to the mangaka's worry of possible religious controversy over here in the West and for some strange unknown reason it's hard to make a deal with the Japanese licensors to localize the Dennou Coil anime as of today (from what I hear Madman of Australia was extremely lucky to get the rights).

Unless an manga/anime is associated with a pretty popular anime/manga, it can possibly struggle here in the West. It was thanks to the huge popularity of the Sword Art Online anime in both Japan and West that Yen Press picked up the light novel(and a few manga adaptions) source that allows me to have it on my shelf right now for example. This above information is according to the the official blogs of Seven Seas Entertainment, Vertical Incorperated, Yen Press, Viz, Funimation, etc. btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back