• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

jack thompson strikes back, leagal threat agianst penny arcade.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

::leonskey::

User Title
hey guys, sorry if i accidentaly put this in the wrong place, if i do have a Mod move this to the correct forum.

anyways, recently jack thompson has been acting up in the media again. and since the recent story hasent been brought up on the forums, id thought id send it around here.
(my thoughts about this are in "quotation "marks.)

If you do not know jack thompson, he got GTA San andreas turned from M to AO because of the sex minigame that was hidden in the coding and not ment for anyone to see.

Jack Thompson is not Jonathan Swift – not nearly as clever. So when he titles his idea for a video game A Modest Proposal, he is degrading the beauty that is Swift’s infamous child-eating scenario. But that’s exactly what Jack Thompson did – he is offering $10,000 to charity for anyone who makes his proposed game.

Essentially, the game involves Osaki Kim, a father whose son was “beaten to death with a baseball bat by a 14-year-old gamer.” The guilty party was “only” sentenced to life, even after finding a connection to video games and the murder, so O.K. (as Thompson abbreviates) goes on a killing spree to avenge his son – he kills the publisher (Take This, a not-so-subtle reference to San Andreas publisher Take Two), followed by all parties involved in the trial, merchants of GameStop-like store and arcades – and, of course, any cops that get in his way.
-Joystiq.com

"Why hold the money ransom!? Donate it without having to get something in return! Bast*ard!"

well, someone actualy did do this. they created a San andreas PC mod(ification) and it was relleased as planned.
3060000000049551.JPG

A team of GTA modders called the Fighting Hellfish has created a San Andreas mod for the PC that Jack Thompson could have designed—that is, if he included himself as the vengeful father he proposed earlier, on a murderous rampage through the video-game industry. And there you have the story of JT and his Banman alter ego in Defamation of Character: A Jack Thompson Murder Simulator.

But that’s not all: not only is he unsatisfied with the mod, he claims his earlier proposal was merely intended as satire, to “highlight the patent hypocrisy and recklessness exhibited by the video game industry’s willingness to target cops, women, homosexuals, and other groups with some of their violent games.” (So the $10K offer to charity was satire, too?)

He then proceeds to ridicule gamers and the “video game community” for their lack of insight into his keen wit. Wait a second here, hasn’t Jack seen any of those open letters posted online for him on various game sites and blogs these days? If he won’t address these arguments directly in an objective setting, then how can there be any chance of a real dialogue?

-joystiq.com

"lieing son of a Bitc*

also he had a fight with penny arcade around a few days ago when he called them to thank for donating money with the childs play charity, but apparently turned itno him yelling at them.
thus in spite of all wrong lieing and cheating us out that jack did, P.A did soumething that i didnt see coming.

3060000000049629.JPG

Jack Thompson may not be able to keep to his word, but Tycho and Gabe of Penny Arcade have no problem picking up his slack. After Jackie Boy deemed his Modest Proposal as satire and refused to pay the $10,000 he promised after a few games and mods responded, these two video game do-gooders put up $10,000 of their own money to the Entertainment Software Association Foundation (the charity where, Tycho predicts, TakeTwo president Paul Eibeler would have wanted the cash donated).

The best part? They donated the money in his name, which is just a slap in the face at his claims that we as a community who has “little frontal lobe activity” and promised the money was real in the same comment.

You know Gabe and Tycho are your new heroes.

Update: Jack Thompson sent Tycho and Gabe a little message: “This story is completely false and defamatory. Take it down or else.” Ironically, we got almost the exact same comment from him earlier today. Thanks, Mike Meunier.

____Joystiq.com,agian__________________________________________

wow.. thats amazing what they do to help people. these guys truely are icons in the gaming community for howmuch they help out people.
Jacko on the otherhand, is being an ass.
he really doesent like other people winningo. so he does what he always does. Threaten.

Jack Thompson has made a plea to Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske, demanding that Penny Arcade’s $10K donation (in Jack’s name) be considered criminal harassment. If you’re curious about Washington State’s stance on harassment, read here. Not sure that Jackie-boy has much of a case…

When will it end? If we stop posting about Thompson, will he go away? Or, would making a collective agreement to shut him out of the gaming press leave his banter unchecked? Should we keep following his moves in an effort to make the uninformed public (are you reading this post?) aware of his antics?

sorry for long ass post.

Thoughts?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
As a regular reader of Penny-Arcade, I'm already aware of this. I put Jack Thompson in the same category as I do the current president of the US. They're both so ridiculous that they almost render political satirists obsolete.

User Title
yeah, have you heard the 80 minuet radio show thing?
he says the samething over and over agian.

im just saying that hes really getting on my nerves.
hes like a little brother, telling you not to eat chocolate moms saving.
hell nag and nag and nag and even if you eat it, hell start crying and complaning until he gets everyone focused on you and everyone looking down on you..... see whare im getting at with this?

Shinjuku

Entrapment
I've heard about this for a while now just like I heard about the Cali's are trying to override that law about stores can't sell games to minors and for one I congratulate them for that but back to Jack thompson I don't know that much about him but I do know he's bad for my gaming health which isn't good and I say he can suck my f**king d*ck(excuse me lang)

JapanesePanda

This guy is like some sort of fictional novel written by Stephen King. I can't believe
how far he's gone, just to prove how 'evil' computer games are...

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
I don't have a problem with laws preventing minors from purchasing M-rated titles. I do, however, have a problem with the reasons behind his arguement.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah. Remember, we're all trained killers. We know how to kill someone in ninety different ways because we received subliminal training from Ms. Pac-man. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Jack Thompson is silly. I think he's just trying to piss off the youth of America. He probably got a flaming bag of dog poo one Halloween, and probably had a big period over that. Knowing that kids love videogames, he decided to bleed all over the industry.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Master T said:
Yeah. Remember, we're all trained killers. We know how to kill someone in ninety different ways because we received subliminal training from Ms. Pac-man. :rolleyes:

Do you realize that we could control the world? We're the most proficient killers around.

evil_kenshin

greatest of the ungratest
lol now heres a funny and ironic news article about him: (while it says yesterday its around a day or two older i think)

Jack Thompson was on CNN last night - briefly - in a slam piece on Midway's Blitz: The League. Afterward, in his usual conciliatory tone, he posted about the experience here on GamePolitics:

"Whom did CNN contact for a comment about Blitz: The League? They didn't contact Doug Lowenstein. They didn't contact the drooling cretins at Penny Arcade. They didn't even contact a single gamer, I guess because they wanted the truth.

They contacted Jack Thompson. Why? Because the "don't confuse me with the facts" gaming community (what's next, the marijuana community?) has nothing rational to say about the marketing of mature games to kids.

The purpose of the law in California is to say this: Parents, it is your job to make the decision on these games. We will not allow retailers to sell adult games to kids behind their parents' backs.

Wise up, gamers. The war was lost by you scofflaws a very long time ago. Even liberal CNN is on my side. Fondly, Jack Thompson

PS: Put down the controller and get a life!"

UPDATE: Jack just added a comment: "Jack Thompson thanks you for watching, and not seeing anyone other than me in the piece. I didn't see Penny Aracade personnel there, nor any drooling gamers. Just little old me. Why? Because CNN knows what I'm talking about. This was my 14th appearance on CNN. Glad to be of service in annoying the pixelante pukes. "

his telling gamers to get a life when he has nothing better to do then go from court room to court room blaming games for everything? lol he better listen to his own words

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
evil_kenshin said:
his telling gamers to get a life when he has nothing better to do then go from court room to court room blaming games for everything? lol he better listen to his own words

But that's his job. He's a sensationalizing bullshit-throwing lawyer.

evil_kenshin

greatest of the ungratest
Square Ninja said:
But that's his job. He's a sensationalizing bullshit-throwing lawyer.

true, but his loosing his allies, so he should give it a rest, admit his wrong and relize his through

Puck

THE GHOST ELF of LONG BEACH
Why doesn't Thompson do the world a favor and jump into a pit of sharks and have himself get eaten up by them.

User Title
also one of his main problems is that he focuses on M rated games, saying they are marketed to kids. he thinks that they can sell games like halo2, kilzone and gta to some 5 yr old kid if the has the money.
if anything, he should be targeting the parents who knowingly buy thare kids these games...

anotherthing that bothers me was also said in the online rado thing.

he didnt have a problem with gta when it was just running over people as CJ, yet the seccond thares sexual content, he gets crazy. whats wrong with this? he got mad when thare was a topic about love in thare/ (sex is a form odf love ya knows)

oh and more enws about wacko jacko. (not MJ)

At this point, the nerds swung into action. Penny Arcade forum members wrote, edited and sent letters and faxes to the Florida Bar Association detailing Thompson's activities and urging the review of his license to practice law. Jack Thompson has already received a reprimand by the FBA for his antics in 1998, and according to a spokesperson, the letters and faxes have been received and forwarded to the disciplinary committee.

Already, other activists against video game violence are starting to distance themselves from Jack Thompson. Earlier this month, the National Institute on Media and the Family wrote a letter to Jack, asking him to remove the link to their organization from his web site. While Mr. Thompson's fifteen minutes of fame may be waning, the issue of violence in video games remains a hot topic.

so he may lose his umn, lawyering liscense.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
::leonskey:: said:
he didnt have a problem with gta when it was just running over people as CJ, yet the seccond thares sexual content, he gets crazy. whats wrong with this? he got mad when thare was a topic about love in thare/ (sex is a form odf love ya knows)
Got a recent controversial political debate? There's a South Park for that.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
::leonskey:: said:

Actually, I doubt that it was just the Hot Coffee fiasco that he was against. The Hot Coffee incident created such an outrage in our conservative society that it gave Jacky-boy a chance to sensationalize it and use it as a politic foothold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back