• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► J.D. Salinger has Died (and discussion of his works)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Salinger died of natural causes at his home in New Hampshire on January 27, 2010. He was 91. Salinger's literary representative commented to The New York Times that the writer had broken his hip in May 2009, but that "his health had been excellent until a rather sudden decline after the new year. He was not in any pain before or at the time of his death."

He was best known for Catcher in the Rye, which is pretty much the story of every teenager at some point. Franny and Zooey is another popular novel of his, though never as well known as Catcher. It's definitely sad to see him gone.

But other than that, celebrate his life and work by talking about his books.

Last edited:

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
D= That's a shame to hear. I'm about to read Catcher next semester in JR Lit.

αsiя

space coke
Yea I heard he died

Like many people Im in love Catcher in the Rye

May he Rest In Peace

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Okay, well some of my friends had an argument over facebook (lol) about this, as some people thought it was irrelevant to mourn/make a big deal out of J.D Salinger's death.
This is what one of my friends said, but I feel like it encapsulates how I feel too:

"A book is a creation from the thought and feeling and experience of the author. It contains within it specific patterns and structures of language produced in a genuinely unique fashion by the human being that created it. A good book contains even more; the pride and definition of the author given physical form, and to read a good book (and particularly Catcher in the Rye, actually) is an intimate and personal experience. It gives you a strong human association with the author, even though you may never meet, may never receive no message from save the one shared by thousands of others. Nonetheless, it brings you closer to that author – it’s just how human beings work. J.D. Salinger gifted the world with his work, and to read such things gives you experience and considerations you would not have had otherwise. This forms a bond. Even if you do not intend it to, even if you do not consider it so, it is, again, how human beings work. And we mourn those bonds"

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
I remember reading some of his books.
It's really such a same to hear that he died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back